Life at Ponderosa: Feast or Famine?

• Please log in to reply

2135 replies to this topic

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 9:45 AM

Can we talk about the CBS Survivor website's new opportunity to check out what goes on after being voted off? Will we get to see some real jury strategy or just watch them eat? I enjoyed Eliza's chocolate syrup on peanut butter, followed by white strips. And the trying on of the outfits. And her countdown of the next four to make it to Ponderosa. You thought you were so smart.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:43 PM

Wow. It's like getting to camp out in your own back yard (which, as far as I'm concerned, is the only way to camp out--my idea of roughing it is staying at a Motel 6 when I'm on vacation!)

It was nice to see a preview of Eliza's made-over look for her first day on the jury, and I had to laugh at her comment about how she was looking forward to getting to roll her eyes at every bullcrap comment she gets to hear. And seeing her reaction to the next bootee to join her at the Ponderosa should be priceless, particularly if it isn't anyone on her boot list!

Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

Link to the video. I've always wondered about Loser Lodge! I'm so glad they're doing this. I could've done without seeing Eliza apply a Crest White Strip though.

Wicked

Wicked

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 8:26 AM

I was surprised to see that she's still sleeping outside, I thought she'd be in a hotel somewhere. Also interesting that they do keep the jury bootees separate from the pre-jury bootees.

Looking forward to next week's clips.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 10:47 AM

Eliza looks so pretty.

I am surprised that their jury clothes are not their own personal wardrobe that they brought with them. How cool that they get to wear new clothes.

If I went to the Lodge and they grandly waved towards a tent and said that's where I'd be staying, my response would be WTF??

Edited by Angeltoes, Apr 13, 2008 @ 3:38 PM.

moonmarked

moonmarked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 11:40 AM

I'm not surprised about the new wardrobe; by the time someone reaches the jury, they will have lost an unknown amount of weight that they could not have possibly predetermined, planned for nor prepared for in advance.

I'm also not surprised that Ponderosa is not a luxury hotel; it probably depends a bit each season as to what accommodations are nearby, but given that the Micronesia game takes place on a fairly isolated set of islands, it makes sense that there are also no luxury hotels within short and easy traveling distance. I'm sure the rest of the cast and crew are living in similar conditions--non-jury bootees may be sent off to a resort somewhere, but in a half-ASS season they would need to make sure that the favorites were not recognized by others. Keeping jury/non-jury bootees also keeps down the possible spoilerage, and makes it easier to pinpoint where leaks might come from, contestant-wise.

It's all relative, but Eliza certainly wasn't WTF about where she was sleeping, and in fact, seemed to be most excited about sleeping alone, not even about the cot or pillows or trading a blanket for the towel she was sharing with Cirie just the night before! It's all relative....when I've come back from long backpacking/bike trips or travel in and through depressed conditions, I find it hard to even sleep on a bed at first or to deal with the bright city lights or to be far away from the sound of the wind and rain. There's a transition time where your body and soul make peace with what feels most important and necessary for day to day life.

Edited by moonmarked, Apr 12, 2008 @ 11:41 AM.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 4:06 PM

It's all relative, but Eliza certainly wasn't WTF about where she was sleeping,

As a favorite, she'd already been there, done that from her first time around. A fan reaction might be more WTF.

moonmarked

moonmarked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 5:58 PM

You might be right; but still, the jury members are continuing to play the game and I can't imagine keeping my head in the game if I was moving between luxury hotel and TC. It will be interesting to see how the interactions go at Ponderosa--it must be interesting enough that this season they decided to dedicate some bandwith to sharing it with us.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 7:43 PM

I love finally getting to see jury life after all this time (like the ES on TAR). I didn't realize that the clothes Eliza tried on were all new. I wonder if the jurors get to keep the new clothes. Seemed kinda funny having all that food set out on the tables. Definitely a feast.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

Those were fun, in a reward-challange-realization sort of way, along with some of her ongoing strategic opinions delivered confessional-style. They are very much worth watching, and the long-overdue embrace of flash technology means that they should work for most people.

The most interesting part of the second clip - for me - (besides just seeing her in her suit, she's a nice looking woman) - was the scene of her being ushered from an SUV to a boat on a dock. She had to wear a hooded sort of cloak until she was on the boat and away, showing the lengths that they go to to hide the boot order from spying eyes.

BTW, that micro-abrasion stuff the commercials are selling contains tiny plastic beads that pass through water treatment plants and into the ocean, where it suspends in the water and plays havoc with sea life. Just sayin'.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

I finally had a chance to watch the two Ponderosa videos tonight, and as an unabashed Eliza fan I was happy to see that she didn't seem particularly traumatized from the boot. I'd imagine that after three or four weeks of living in the rain, with not enough to eat, packed into close sleeping quarters with people you don't necessarily like and who haven't bathed properly in a long time, that place would look like a luxury resort. She did seem to be having fun... good for her!

loveroffnl

loveroffnl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 3:28 PM

I just got to watch them today. So cool! I have always wondered what it was like, what they got to eat, how they had the clothes from tribal, and what in the world they would do all day. So, it'll be very interesting to watch these clips.

I had heard/read somewhere before that LL was tents for the most part. But, I do agree with other posters that I think it depends on their location, because I feel like I've heard Jeff P. talk about hotels before, too.

Eggman - I was thinking she had on that cloak thing as a rain jacket, looked to me like it was pouring..... ?

glad6709

glad6709

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 7:17 PM

I agree with Eggman, remember Fans v Favorites filming ended early Dec. So Eliza was booted out early to Mid November 20007. If I was Mark Burnett, I might want to shield people being voted off from being spotted by on lookers. I mean yes we have spoilers but you might want to protect the outcome as much as possible.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 9:48 PM

Nobody else around her is wearing protective gear, and it really does look more "cloak" like than "raincoat" like, at least to me.

loveroffnl

loveroffnl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Yeah, who knows, I guess my immediate thought was just about how much rain they've been getting, I didn't really look at the other people very closely. Maybe we'll get a better look when they show two or more people heading for jury?

backup plan

backup plan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 2:31 PM

Nobody else around her is wearing protective gear, and it really does look more "cloak" like than "raincoat" like, at least to me.

Nobody else has to show up at Tribal Council looking fresh as a daisy for the other survivors, though. I'm going with a combination of "disguises who it is" and "protects jury member from looking like drowned rat".

I didn't realize that the clothes Eliza tried on were all new. I wonder if the jurors get to keep the new clothes.

Where did you see they were new? I didn't see tags and figured she was just trying to put together a "hott" outfit to look good during Tribal. It could be that they are provided with a few pieces - since many will not fit in their original clothes, I just didn't feel like the clip overtly told us that.....

Gingerwoman5

Gingerwoman5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

I doubt they get to keep the clothes but I do think they are "wardrobe". It's all about making the jury members look as good and interesting as possible.

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

Eliza, meet your new Ponderosamate Ozzy.
Ozzy, hahahahahahaha

Wicked

Wicked

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 8:35 PM

How long till the videos of Ozzy at Ponderosa are up??

Sir Bitter

Sir Bitter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 8:56 PM

Eliza is going to be wearing a shit-eating grin ALL WEEK once Ozzy arrives!

BigKev47

BigKev47

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 10:10 PM

These are great... I've been waiting to see this for years. It is kinda cool the way they keep it a game for them, with the Ponderosa Mail and all that. I wonder if they do that every series, or just for the sake of the cameras this time..

Though I am sad that from here on out Eliza will have to split screentime with other bootees. *tear*

micki15

micki15

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

I don't think I'm alone when I say I can't wait to see Ozzy's arrival at the Ponderosa!

We'll probably crash the CBS server when that thing gets posted.

Sir Bitter

Sir Bitter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:17 PM

Holy shite, it's up already. Interesting twist... Ozzy didn't even bring the idol, but asserts that he would have played it had he brought it. Maybe that's just hindsight, but what it does tell me is... Probst's manipulations were all for naught!

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:22 PM

Indeed, and in the SUV he is wearing a black cloak thingie. It was interesting to see him get off the dock and into an SUV and then drive through... downtown!

Sap.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

Wow, Ozzie seems pretty depresed and somewhat drunk in almost all the footage. Which is appropriate I guess. I hope he sobers/ cheers up eventually. Eliza is being very nice to him.

Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

Heh, at the end of the "Jury Member #2 arrives" video, the advertisement is for Survivor:China. Guess someone forgot to update this stuff.

Summer P

Summer P

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 12:24 AM

HAHA, Ozzy and that huge bottle of Vodka (I'm assuming it's vodka). Oh man, I would probably do that as well. I agree, Eliza is being really nice to him. And I can understand her concern of him being all pissy when he got there. At least it's not as bad as she thought.

I do think that it's absolutely hilarious that you vote someone off the tribe because they're an "outsider" and you don't like them and what not. Only to have to spend the rest of the time with them anyway, should you be voted off. Sort of like a horrible sweet justice.

Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 1:07 AM

Ozzy really seemed blank and dead-behind-the-eyes in those videos.

Gingerwoman5

Gingerwoman5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 2:55 AM

Ozzy didn't even bring the idol, but asserts that he would have played it had he brought it. Maybe that's just hindsight, but what it does tell me is... Probst's manipulations were all for naught!

OMG, and that sucks because Probst KNOWS how the votes are going to go so he was unfairly trying to help one of his favs. Grrrrr!
He would have played it because Jeff was making it clear he needed to.

Tavir

Tavir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 4:09 AM

HAHA, Ozzy and that huge bottle of Vodka (I'm assuming it's vodka).

Yep, looked like Grey Goose to me.

Despite his "Screw you" speech from his final words, it seems like Ozzy's gained some perspective and is mostly beating himself up for being so stupid as to not bring the idol with him to council. Seriously, how hard is it to bring an idol with you to tribal, especially after everyone knows you have it? Even if you don't plan on playing it, there was literally no reason for him to bring it to every tribal from there on out.

I liked the interactions between Eliza and Ozzy. I feel like outside of the game, they could be good friends with each other.