SciFi.com Preview: The Nooner Club (SPOILERS)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

277 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 2:29 AM

This thread is for talking about the episodes when they are shown on SciFi.com Fridays Noon Eastern Time (see here), 10 hours before the evening broadcast, to keep other threads clear. It's a live stream done like a live broadcast (no pausing, rewinding, fast forwarding), with limited commercials, and no enlarging the image.

I enjoyed watching last Friday, though the restrictions made it hard to do work and watch. I don't know if I'll do it again, but it's a nice way to pass the time at lunch if you don't mind sitting close to the screen.

Edited by cutecouple, Apr 11, 2008 @ 2:29 AM.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 4:30 AM

1. Welcome to Nooner Club. The first rule about Nooner Club is WE DON'T TALK ABOUT NOONER CLUB. If you come into this thread, you are making a deal to STAY in this thread until the episode has aired on SciFi on the East Coast.

2. DON'T BE A SPOILER SCRUB. Be an island in the streaming episode. Or as Leoben would say, "A part of you swims in the stream, but in truth, you're standing on the shore. But if the current takes you downstream to other forum threads, to reveal the truth of the episode, Jacob will smack you."

3. By the same token, if you didn't catch the episode streaming on the site during the day, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THIS THREAD? Because you, my friend, are not in the Nooner Club.

Please don't ask for clarification, specific details or facts, "I just have a quick question about this one character," none of that. This thread is for discussion of the episode before the proper thread opens in 5-12 hours. If you can't wait that long, hie thee to the Spoiler thread, or lock your office door and take a dip in the stream next Friday. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Apr 18, 2008 @ 12:37 PM.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 8:40 AM

I agree. . . I can't decide whether I will keep up or not - I felt all furtive and rushed last week. (But I still enjoyed the broadcast episode on TV so I don't feel like it ruined the experience for me.)

We'll see.

kalamazoo904

kalamazoo904

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:23 AM

OK, I was partly wrong about the numbers. Cavil is One, Leoben is Two... and Cavil claimed he would summon the "Fours and Fives" to vote, so (by process of elimination) Simon is Four.

ONE Cavil
TWO Leoben
THREE D'Anna
FOUR Simon
FIVE Doral
SIX Caprica, Gina, Natalie...
SEVEN
EIGHT Boomer, Athena...
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE Tyrol

However.... Nine through Twelve are, indeed, all Fivers. I suspect, as before, that 9-11 are our friends... and Seven is the Last Cylon.

geordie

geordie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

How do you know Tyrol is 12?

kalamazoo904

kalamazoo904

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

Aaron Douglas interview.

LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Video Archivist

• Interests:Mad Men<br />Californication<br />Justified<br />True Blood<br />Weeds<br />Big Love

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

I always find theological discussions most meaningful when my penis is inside someone else.

Edited by LoneRanger, Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:49 AM.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:51 AM

Man, that was more emotional than last week for me. It's difficult to be at work trying not to cry. (Lee's farewell ceremony.)

I'm glad he's working for Zarek - because that means more Zarek.

And it's very interesting that Starbuck is being sent out to find that other path.

Plus, did you think that the Six regretted her actions when the Centaurions slaughterd Cavil, Simon and Leoben? Did you think that all the Cavils, Simons and Leobens were being slaughtered all over the fleet?

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

I know I do.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Ok, wow. I kept getting distracted by things like, oh, my job, but wow.

-We know the model numbers
-We know that that the numbers have some meaning (or 1 versus 2-8 at any rate)

Was Helo part of Starbuck's crew? I couldn't tell. Wonder how Athena will feel about that.

Do we think Tory was falling for Baltar? She seemed seduced. Or a better actress then I'd thought (Tory pretending to be seduced, not the actor playing Tory acting, or both, or...you know what I mean).

Head Baltar seems to know about the music.

Another really great episode. Can't wait to see it devoid of work distractions (though that likely won't be until Monday, sadly).

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Don't mess with the Sixes, because they are hardcore and they will take you down.

And Boomer continues to break my heart.

geordie

geordie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

well, that was exciting - although I'm not sure about Six's strategy - are the centurions simultaneously taking out all of the 4's busy operating on the raiders? And call me a sap, but I loved Adama at the end - and I'm really hating on Laura right now. She never answered Kara's challenge about why is YOUR vision better than mine?

Can't wait to watch it again tonight!

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

Plus, did you think that the Six regretted her actions when the Centaurions slaughterd Cavil, Simon and Leoben? Did you think that all the Cavils, Simons and Leobens were being slaughtered all over the fleet?

I think the implication is that they were boxed. I bet they bring back De'Anna next week.

I wonder what happens to Boomer--will she be punished for going against the other 8s?

Also, I am still irritated that they're letting Lee resign with such pomp and circumstance. What if Helo wanted to resign, would they let him? Or Gaeta? I know Lee had a higher rank, bosses son, resigned his commission, and so on, but this is an extraordinary circumstance.

RedEndora

RedEndora

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Working on my conversation skills - family activities- reading - watching TV - listening to the radio (Bob and Tom specifically) - listening to nearly any kind of music (not opera) - watching movies - playing with our pets - thrice weekly gym visits - shopping (duh) - surfin' the net - cooking - taking time away from all the stuff above to have quiet time to just think.

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

I don't think Helo was going with Starbuck, I get the feeling that crews on waste ships are kind of loners... but I could be infering what was not said

geordie

geordie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:56 AM

Head Baltar seems to know about the music.

OK, now I'll watch that scene more carefully tonight, because I thought it was Real Gaius talking about the cacophony, etc - and I thought it was a head fake from the writers (pun intended) and that Gaius certainly doesn't know about the Watchtower. But Head Gaius certainly seems to know something's different about Tory.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

I don't think Helo was going with Starbuck, I get the feeling that crews on waste ships are kind of loners... but I could be infering what was not said

Well, they said they'd hand picked a crew, and were using a no-longer needed sewage ship. But there was something else they said (wish I could rewind!!) that made me think Helo was going with her. I hope not, I've got enough of Helo being a separate story line away from the fleet in season 1.

scriggle

scriggle

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

It was the Cavils, Simons, and Dorals. Leoben seems to be on the Sixes side.

Nerzelzo

Nerzelzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 11:58 AM

Wow. Awesome episode. So many great moments...

Gaius and Head Gaius = PURE GOLD! I sincerely hope we get more of these scenes. James Callis was just hilarious.

Natalie is my new fave cylon. Loved this convo - Cavil - "Centurions aren't allowed to vote." Natalie - "Oh, they're not here to vote."
Snap! Or should I say bang? That was a whole lotta bullets flying.

Gaius and Tory - Didn't see that coming but it sort of works. But what about Anders/Tory?

I had tears in my eyes, not one, not two but FOUR times.
1. Roslin's hair loss moment - Mary McDonnell, you absolutely gutted me.
2. Kara laying on the floor of her cell crying as the Admiral watches through the glass
3. Dualla giving Lee the plaque - Kandyse McClure really gave a good performance with few words needed
4. Admiral and Kara make-up hug at the end

Anyone else have technical issues with the streaming? It always seems to freeze up a few times. I missed half of Adama and Roslin's conversation in his quarters b/c it froze for a full minute.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:00 PM

OK, now I'll watch that scene more carefully tonight, because I thought it was Real Gaius talking about the cacophony, etc - and I thought it was a head fake from the writers (pun intended) and that Gaius certainly doesn't know about the Watchtower. But Head Gaius certainly seems to know something's different about Tory.

You are right that it was Gaius (not HeadGaius) talking about the caucophony resolving into music, but I think it was during a shot when we couldn't see HeadGaius, so I was inferring that he was picking up prompts.

I also loved the Head/real Gaius interaction. Awesome.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:00 PM

Head!Baltar talking to Real!Balter - that was totally fracked up. Loved it. Can't wait to see that scene at home where I can concentrate better.

RedEndora

RedEndora

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Working on my conversation skills - family activities- reading - watching TV - listening to the radio (Bob and Tom specifically) - listening to nearly any kind of music (not opera) - watching movies - playing with our pets - thrice weekly gym visits - shopping (duh) - surfin' the net - cooking - taking time away from all the stuff above to have quiet time to just think.

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:01 PM

Ah ... thank you Psyche6793. I didn't get to hear that part. The episode was a little stop and start on my computer, missed all of the visual on Lee's goodbye, and bits of audio througout.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:01 PM

3. Dualla giving Lee the plaque - Kandyse McClure really gave a good performance with few words needed

And Lee's "Looks like you get the house" was just perfect.

So I guess that after their relationship was as good as it'd ever been during Maelstrom it's totally over now. I know we saw her leave in Crossroads, I guess I hadn't realized she was gone for ever.

elpibe

elpibe

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

no enlarging the image.

Actually, I was able to zoom the image in to full screen size-I just right-clicked, and voila!
Man, too bad they can't show 4-5 hours at a time...this show is more addictive than crack.

I am so happy that Kara is back. The Bad-Ass Kara, yet still sensitive and as emotionally mixed-up as ever.
That shootout on the Cylon Basestar...WOW!!! Robots killing Robots...everything is uraveling...this should be
an amazing season of BSGA.

Now....why was Baltar seeing himself as Austin Powers???
eh!

calbear

calbear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:03 PM

I always find theological discussions most meaningful when my penis is inside someone else.

LoneRanger, YOMANK.

This is my one and only trip to the Nooner club, as I have to work most Fridays. (boo.)

I loved it - Didn't see Starbuck handing over the gun coming, and loved Laura shooting at her! Laura can be badass even when clearly wiped out from the treatment - "Siddown, Bill" is going to become her new trademark line. She's totally gonna break my heart, though, I can already tell.

Roslin's hair loss moment - Mary McDonnell, you absolutely gutted me.

Word. So much word.

The Cylons are voting against each other! Civil war! This is the very first time a baseship scene has been even remotely interesting to me - I loved finding out all the info about them, and the Six/Cavil smackdown.

Lee? Still an emo idiot. Now he'll be an emo idiot in the Quorum. Good times.

And Head!Baltar, with Baltar! So very, very glad to see Baltar back to being funny, and James Callis killed me there. Baltar, I really want to hate you.....

Now I really can't wait until 10:00.

Edited by calbear, Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:03 PM.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

I also loved Adama's line that she could stay in his quarters but had to get out of his head. That whole scene between the two of them was so beautiful and perfect and sad.

I also loved that Kara brought up the arrow. They played that very well, remaining true to both characters without undermining the past.

geordie

geordie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:05 PM

No technical issues for me - the stream worked fine.

I did, however, miss the hair loss moment - yet another reason to watch tonight!

Really, that moment of confrontation between Natalie (is that the new Six's name?) and Cavil with the centurions as enforcers was just great - that Six, she's a MEAN motherfracker! talkin' about Six!

I am so hoping that Tricia breaks out with this series she's contracted for (I guess it's not a specific series, it's just "a" series, but still).

calbear

calbear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:08 PM

I also loved Adama's line that she could stay in his quarters but had to get out of his head. That whole scene between the two of them was so beautiful and perfect and sad.

That was brilliance. I love that they fight like adults, no screaming and name calling. And I loved that you could tell that half of it wasn't that they were really mad at each other, just that they were angry in general. Laura definitely picked that fight.

jo86

jo86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:09 PM

I know it's a TV show and silly, insignificant things like plot need to be moved forward, but my blind Kara love makes me furious that anyone could smile let alone party while she's rotting in the brig. It just bugs me. I was relieved, at least, that Lee brought up "absent friends" because we at least know what was really on his mind.

That scene between the Admiral and Starbuck completely blew me away. It had the vibe of their confrontation at the end of Act Of Contrition, except this time he really did take her down. Holy shit.

I've got a serious hate-on for Laura at the moment, and Kara and Bill pretty much summed up the reasons why in this episode, but when she fell apart at seeing that her hair was falling out....OK. There is still feeling in me left for you, Madame President.

Kara and Lee's goodbye scene was the one that really broke me, though. There was just so much that you'd think needed to be said, but it was all accomplished with the desperation of their touches and glances and kisses. I'm so happy that he was the first one to tell her that he truly believed in her, I just wish he could've stuck around a little longer.

Katee, you've outdone yourself again tonight, girl. Her throat must've hurt like a bitch after filming this one.

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:14 PM

Also, I am still irritated that they're letting Lee resign with such pomp and circumstance. What if Helo wanted to resign, would they let him? Or Gaeta? I know Lee had a higher rank, bosses son, resigned his commission, and so on, but this is an extraordinary circumstance.

Well, he IS going off to be a member of the Quorum, so it's not like he's going to be Undersecretary for Agriculture or something lame. It's still pretty important. But in general, yeah, I agree, nobody else would get to do this.

I have to admit I'm amused that Mister Lee "We have to have an election" Adama is going to take a position through appointment, though. It's sort of deliciously ironic.

I loved Baltar's expression when he first caught sight of Head!Baltar. SO funny.

And yes, I agree that Tory is getting seduced. Baltar is telling her things she really wants to believe: that Cylons have a soul and feelings, for one thing. That's powerful stuff when she's so confused and frightened about what she is.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:15 PM

It was the Cavils, Simons, and Dorals. Leoben seems to be on the Sixes side.

There was so much slaughter but I thought I saw a white-shirted guy being gunned down. Perhaps he was just ducking.