Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

• Please log in to reply

4789 replies to this topic

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

Step Up Revolution

It looks like this one is set in Miami and they must use the power of the dance to stop Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows from destroying the poor (but historic!) neighborhood and turning it into an evil gate community, I'm guessing. Not the most original plot, to say the least. And it seems like the main couples in these film keep getting worse and worse. I mean, at this point, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan look like Oscar winners compared to the rest. But, hey, dancing!

House at the End of the Street
Starring Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue

I'm sure the studio is already full of glee. In just a few weeks, the film went from merely having an Oscar nominee of a small film as it's lead, to having a lead who is currently head-lining the next big, successful franchise and is currently the next big thing right now. And if the rumors are true and it's budget is only around $7 million, I'm sure they'll make a good profit even though it won't be pulling in Hunger Game numbers.

Edited by thuganomics85, Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:13 AM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

The Mortal Instruments finally has a release date!

After being stuck in development Hell for nearly 2 years, things are finally picking up. I guess the success of the Hunger Games gave the studio the kick in the butt it needed to exploit this equally popular YA series. Lily Collins is starring as the heroine, and Jamie Campbell Bower was supposed to star as her boyfriend but the latest news are saying he's dropped out. Which, in my opinion, is a big relief because after seeing that guy in the disaster that was Camelot... well, less said, soonest mended.

Who else is super excited about this?

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Maybe it is just me being sore for having relatives who had risked their lives to liberate their country and people from colonial oppressors only to have their movement hijacked by Stalinists who let my grandfather starve to death in a reeducation camps, but I am a little wary when people throw the word "revolution" around. A flash mob is not a revolution, a flash mob that turns itself into Occupy Miami is not a revolution. A show that has a bunch of nurses on to talk about how they want to introduce healthier foods into their cafeteria has no business calling itself The Revolution.

My love for the original Total Recall knows no bounds, but I'll be damned. The remake looks like some good Summer Action Fun.

That does look kind of fun. Not that they necessarily look alike, but Jessica and Kate will have to play their characters very differently if I am going to immediately distinguish them when they are on screen. Also, either I am more familiar with John Cho's voice than I had previously thought or I totally picked out the Asian American accent, or maybe it was just that the setting clued me in.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Trailer for SAVAGES.

Director: Oliver Stone
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, John Travolta

The book was full of so much pulpy awesomeness and I read the whole thing in one sitting while waiting in a jury duty holding room. Anyway, I like that (the trailer, at least) has a good old 90's action crime movie kind of vibe.

ETA: Some more pics from On The Road.

I hope this movie brings me back around to Sam Riley. Loooooved him in Control, but my reaction to everything else I've seen him in has ranged from Meh to Zzzzzzz.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Not that they necessarily look alike, but Jessica and Kate will have to play their characters very differently if I am going to immediately distinguish them when they are on screen.

At least we'll be able to tell the difference when they speak, thanks to Kate's British accent and whatnot. But, yeah, I was having some problems telling them apart in trailer. Movie looks fun though and I hope it succeeds for Colin Farrell's sake because I like him, but it's been a while since he's really had a big success.

Edited by thuganomics85, Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:49 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I saw a bunch of really good trailers in front of Bully last night. The one that stands out most is Wes Anderson's new movie.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

That's My Boy

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Ah, leave it to Adam Sandler to find the fun side of statutory rape.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Ah, leave it to Adam Sandler to find the fun side of statutory rape.

He probably wants to continue the tradition of getting all the Razzies like he did with Jack and Jill. They might as well just mail them to him and spare the ceremony next year.

Edited by lastdaughterfk, Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:59 PM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

It looks like this one is set in Miami and they must use the power of the dance to stop Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows from destroying the poor (but historic!) neighborhood and turning it into an evil gate community, I'm guessing.

...As you do.

Trailer for SAVAGES.

Wow, Taylor Kitsch looks completely different without the scraggly, never-seen-the-inside-of-a-shampoo-bottle hair. He actually looks...hot. Alas, not hot enough to spark my interest in the movie.

Not that they necessarily look alike, but Jessica and Kate will have to play their characters very differently if I am going to immediately distinguish them when they are on screen.

Ah, glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought about this. And it's probably too early to tell, but based on the trailer, Kate isn't very convincing in her menace compared to Sharon Stone, who was stone cold and awesomely so. Jury's still out on Jessica compared to Rachel Ticotin. I've never been impressed with either actress, but I loved the 1990 film and like Colin Farrell. I'm in.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Savages looks wicked cool. I kind of want to see it now, even despite not being a fan of Blake Lively. Taylor Kitch looks hot and badass and the concept of a three way romance, is an intreaging one.

Edited by glorygirl84, Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:30 PM.

misere

misere

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Movie looks fun though and I hope it succeeds for Colin Farrell's sake because I like him, but it's been a while since he's really had a big success.

He's been steadily rebuilding his reputation in the industry, and I always wish him well, but it was still a boneheaded move to drop out of Cronenberg's Cosmopolis for this. Cosmopolis is basically locked for a Cannes premiere.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Taylor Kitch looks hot and badass and the concept of a three way romance, is an intreaging one.

I will admit that the first thought that I had while reading this was when was the last time that there has been a threeway with two guys in an action movie. The second thought was a slightly dirty thought about your username. Sorry.

Salma and Benicio were both in Traffic if I remember correctly. And now they are both in another movie about drug gangs.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I saw an advanced screening of Marigold Hotel (I have no idea how the title is going to be truncated, but this is what I'm going with) last night. If anyone is visiting their parents or grandparents and want to take them to a movie, this is the one. It was beyond charming, and so lovely to see Dev Patel again at his geeky/verbose best. All the UK wrinklies seem to be having a ball. I was trying to cast this movie with American actors of similar age in my head, but I think it would be a cautionary tale on the dangers of plastic surgery. It was wonderful to see naturally aged faces on the big screen. I wonder how much longer that will happen.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Q: is there any real need to see Captain America or Thor before The Avengers movie? I soured on the recent Marvel stuff after the crap that was Iron Man 2. And I refused to watch the "second" Hulk after that turd that the first one was.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

I was in the same position as you, ikar. I say definitely for Capt America, for the coda if nothing else, but it was an enjoyable film. Avengers was the reason I saw Thor, and it wasn't a painful experience. I had no desire to see Hulk 1 or 2, so I'll have to go by my 70s TV knowledge on that story.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Captain America was good fun. I think it's worth a look. But I don't think either movie is essential.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I agree with Foolish Wanderer, it's well worth a look and I'm no comic book superhero buff, in fact I tend to shy away from that type of film. It grew on me, it's very well made. I'll probably go see The Avengers just for Captain America.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

And I refused to watch the "second" Hulk after that turd that the first one was.

I had no desire to see Hulk 1 or 2, so I'll have to go by my 70s TV knowledge on that story.

You should give it a chance. I know Ang Lee left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, with reason I almost missed THI just for him and I have plenty of friends that did, but Edward Norton and Pelletier did a great job cleaning out his mess and the movie is very good, true to Hulk and more in like with the 70's show. Also Betty Ross played by Liv was great. I actually own it and I don't own any other Avenger movie yet, YMMV.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Is there any real need to see Captain America or Thor before The Avengers movie? I soured on the recent Marvel stuff after the crap that was Iron Man 2. And I refused to watch the "second" Hulk after that turd that the first one was.

I don't know if you need to see them but I liked both Thor and Captain America. Neither were as good as the first Iron Man but they were certainly better than Iron Man 2.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

I would definitely watch Thor, if for no other reason than the villain Loki is the big bad in The Avengers. That said, I would watch Thor just for the sake of it. Immensely enjoyable, I thought.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes, Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:43 AM.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

Looper trailer

Release Date: September 28, 2012
Written and directed by Rian Johnson
Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Noah Segan, Piper Perabo, and Jeff Daniels

Looks very cool, and I was a big fan of Johnson's first two movies, so this is definitely one of my must-see fall movies.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I had fun watching Captain America.

It looks like we have another Diary Of A Wimpy Kid movie. My sons will be glad. But I think they'll have to quit after this one. Greg's voice is deeper.

http://movies.yahoo....r-28944423.html

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I saw an advanced screening of Marigold Hotel (I have no idea how the title is going to be truncated, but this is what I'm going with) last night. If anyone is visiting their parents or grandparents and want to take them to a movie, this is the one. It was beyond charming, and so lovely to see Dev Patel again at his geeky/verbose best. All the UK wrinklies seem to be having a ball. I was trying to cast this movie with American actors of similar age in my head, but I think it would be a cautionary tale on the dangers of plastic surgery. It was wonderful to see naturally aged faces on the big screen. I wonder how much longer that will happen.

My parents might want to see this. The trailers that I have seen make it look like some bitter White remnants of what was once a glorious world empire who begin to look at the wold a little differently thanks to the help of some fun loving brown-skinned colonial subjects of said former empire. Maybe it is not like that at all, though.

Looper trailer

JGL looks a bit odd in the trailer. The premise seems a little weird, too, but it might be interesting, I guess.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

JGL looks a bit odd in the trailer.

IIRC, they used makeup and minor prosthetics to make him look more like a younger Bruce Willis.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I guess that he sort of looks like Bruce...I guess?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

That was really, really awkward casting.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

And since when have TPTB cared that the older and younger version of a character look alike (when it's not played by the same actor)? And if it was that important, why not cast two actors who look believably similar? I recognized JGL from the opening distance shot, but then I wondered who the other guy was towards the middle of the trailer, which featured more of the close up camera shots. I'm not sure I could sit through the whole film, though the premise is interesting. Perhaps if I didn't know who JGL was, it wouldn't bother me.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I know, right? I appreciate the thought, but it's not working for me at all. I think it's because JGL made up to look like young Bruce Willis looks nothing like actual young Bruce Willis.

This is from several months ago, so who knows if it's still happening, but Jena Malone signed on to play Carson McCullers, author of The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter. I got around to watching Sucker Punch a few weeks ago (meh), but it did make me think, "Damn, what the hell has Jena Malone been up to?"

Randomness: The director of the McCullers biopic is the same woman who directed Houndog. As you might recall, there was a bigass deal made about a rape scene and Dakota Fanning. The entire time that was going on all I kept thinking was, "I wonder if people got this up-in-arms about Jena Malone in Bastard Out of Carolina?"

Edited by hardy har, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

From what I recall, there was similar outrage about that film.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

The trailers that I have seen make it look like some bitter White remnants of what was once a glorious world empire who begin to look at the wold a little differently thanks to the help of some fun loving brown-skinned colonial subjects of said former empire. Maybe it is not like that at all

Maggie Smith's character is old school prejudiced; the rest are not. The movie isn't about that though. Really it's about how there are such crappy options for oldies in the UK that these people decide to up & leave their country for good for a chance at happiness in their waning years.