2-11: "MILF Island" 2008.04.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2008 @ 9:45 AM

From NBCUMV.com:

SOMEONE CALLS JACK DONAGHY (ALEC BALDWIN) A `CLASS A MORON’ AND THE NEW YORK POST’S `PAGE SIX’ COLUMN PICKS IT UP, CAUSING JACK AGITA. GUEST STAR ROB HUEBEL (“HUMAN GIANT”) - The TGS staff has been obsessing all season over the new reality hit MILF Island. While watching the riveting finale, pitting Debra vs. Deborah as the final two MILFs, Jack (Baldwin) who is riding high on this programming feat is blindsided by a blind item that ran in the New York Post. The “Page Six” column reveals a staffer referring to Jack as a “Class A Moron” and saying, “That guy can eat my poo.” This isn’t the best timing since Jack is in the running for Chairman and had high hopes that the success of MILF Island would help him seal the deal. In an effort to identify the disloyal employee he forces Jonathan (Maulik Pancholy) to turn up the heat in the writers’ room until one of them breaks. Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Scott Adsit, Judah Friedlander, Lonny Ross, Katrina Bowden and Maulik Pancholy also star. Rob Huebel guest stars as the MILF Island host.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 23, 2008 @ 11:10 AM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:16 PM

I would love to know how "Assholvania" made it past the censors. And even though I had a feeling the stuttering was going to get to Liz sooner or later, I couldn't stop laughing when Jack pulled it off.

Welcome back show.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:21 PM

Loved the MILF Island stuff; the parallels with the main plot were obvious but still fun, and the attitudes toward reality competitions walked a good line between mocking the shows for their ridiculous rituals and format, and mocking people in scripted TV for imagining that they're so much holier. Taking off your bikini top as part of the "execution" was genius. "We no longer want to hit that."

My only negative: Pete's subplot -- itself a retread of one that's been done a lot on other shows, and then left dangling with no payoff. I wonder, did some of it get cut to provide time for political ads?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

This is how awesome Alec Baldwin is: I knew Jack was playing Liz the whole time (because: really, Gilly?), but when he started stuttering I actually felt bad for him. Brilliant.

"Stay tuned for Dog Swap!" may be my new favorite ending line.

Also: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Ack!

helloresolven

helloresolven

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:29 PM

Something about Kenneth hiding behind Wolf cardboard cutout had me in stitches.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

I kind of want to watch MILF island for real.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

My only negative: Pete's subplot -- itself a retread of one that's been done a lot on other shows, and then left dangling with no payoff. I wonder, did some of it get cut to provide time for political ads?

I don't know, I think they probably felt it would be funnier to just have it end like that though. That plotline did make me realize how great this show really is. I knew what extension Pete would end up dialing. I still laughed. I think making an obvious joke funny takes skill.

Also: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Ack!

Indeed

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

Judah Friedlander was in the movie The Darwin Awards and in that movie a guy gets killed while his arm is stuck in a vending machine. I kept on thinking of that connection when I was watching the subplot.

Feity

Feity

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:01 PM

...my mom asked me what MILF stood for.

D:

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

You should have said "Sorry mom, no time to chat. I've got to get to Erection Cove."

It's hot, it's loud, there's no pizza - it's like Miami!

The only words ever spoken that are more true than the above quote are "Never go with a hippie to a second location."

Josh using "the talking banana" as a microphone cracked me up.

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, The Office, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Big Love, Flight of the Conchords, Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck.<br /><br />Late night: Daily Show, Letterman and Conan.<br /><br />non-tv related interests: art history, travel, scrapbooking, painting, my 2 year old papillion Bailey, graphic design and photography.

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I demand a resolution to the Pete/vending machine plot line! Even if he just mentions HOW he got his arm out. I don't need to see it. I just need to know HOW.

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

I would love to know how "Assholvania" made it past the censors.

I think it was actually "Assylvania." That word being acceptable on TV because...I don't know, maybe they think somebody could be talking about donkeys.

Is this the first time that the show has acknowledged Jonathan's ethnicity? He really was getting more material in this episode (which is to say four lines instead of two), and that's not a bad thing for me at all.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Where's Jenna?

Waterfowl

Waterfowl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

The "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate" bit was absolutely sublime.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

The redubbed-for-network-airing version changes the verb to "feel." And the would-be "Apprentice" a few seasons back who was being promoted as a MILF rationalized that the verb was "fool around with."

I just love that "MILF Island" was mentioned for a passing gag many episodes back, and here it, wonderfully, is.

I have to confess stupidity though. I'm not getting why "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate" is sublime, and I really want to. Help?

Edited by Rinaldo, Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:39 PM.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

If any parent asks you what a MILF is you can say it's a terrorist group in the Philippines and a Disney attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milf

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, The Office, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Big Love, Flight of the Conchords, Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck.<br /><br />Late night: Daily Show, Letterman and Conan.<br /><br />non-tv related interests: art history, travel, scrapbooking, painting, my 2 year old papillion Bailey, graphic design and photography.

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

Oh and another plot line I want follow up on? Lutz's self esteem make over at the hands of his sister-in-law. His shirt was from American Eagle!

Edited by divinemadness, Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:50 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

"MILF Island" falls into the category of 'funny because it's so very nearly true'. I loved the way the main plot kept dovetailing into a real-life enactment of "MILF", especially the link between Liz and DeBORah. [btw, I was going crazy trying to figure out where I'd seen Deborah before, and when I saw in the credits that it was Deidre Goodwin I jumped up yelling "She was one of the Merry Murderesses in 'Chicago'!" and my sanity was temporarily restored]. Good to see Josh with more material, and the whole writer's room gang, but I did miss Jenna. I fanwanked that she had a date, which was more important than "MILF", but if that's so why was Cerie there? Doesn't she have a rich Greek fiancee?

Never, ever underestimate the genius that is John Francis Donaghy.

Toblerone

Toblerone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

Seeing all those ads for crazy spring break deal or no deal (or whatever the heck the half naked girls with the frat boys thing was) just made the MILF island ridiculousness that much more hilarious. Man I love this show.

Love, love, LOVED the Liz/DeBORah parallels. Man this was a good episode.

Ichabod

Ichabod

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Maybe Pete did a Homer and simply let the candy bar go?

No onion rings? Ugh this place can eat my poo. Oh 30 Rock, how I've missed you.

curlyblackeggs

curlyblackeggs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

I have to confess stupidity though. I'm not getting why "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate" is sublime, and I really want to. Help?

Are you familiar with the comic strip "Cathy"? Because the line pretty much sums up the entire strip -- years of material, but it always boiled down to a line like that.

zuzubailey76

zuzubailey76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

Is this the first time that the show has acknowledged Jonathan's ethnicity?

It was acknowledged in Somebody to Love, when Liz wanted Jonathan to leave Jack's office before she confessed that she thought Raheem was a terrorist.

sahoffm1

sahoffm1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 11:07 PM

I'm very happy to watch this show again. My personal favorite was the "eating bugs for tampons" line on MILF Island.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (well, duh), amateur bartending, stand-up comedy, karaoke (sober).

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

If any parent asks you what a MILF is you can say it's a terrorist group in the Philippines and a Disney attraction.

That would work if we wern't Filipino and never saw any Moros in bikini tops (well once, but that involved an ill advised taxi ride in downtown Cebu *shudder*).

Nice to have everybody back...well, actually, where was Jenna tonight?

Detsl

Detsl

Fanatic

• Interests:я обожаю слишком много сериалов.

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

Just have to say that Liz talking about her jaw line acne and doing the "Seinfeld" crying was the best thing ever.

Other highlights for me were, of course Liz's story about how she may have ate her twin! her crazy eyes, Lutz saying he had a makeover(Ha!) and Pete dialing his own number, Liz saying MILF island isn't a good show- its not art and all that cut with the fart machine sketch.

So glad this show is back.

Edited by Detsl, Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:14 AM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:&quot;Modern Family,&quot; &quot;Mad Men,&quot; &quot;30 Rock,&quot; mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:16 AM

After seeing a promo for "Celebracadabra" on VH1 (c-list celebs compete to be...magicians?!), "MILF Island"" just doesn't look that far fetched. Wow.

HotBlooded

HotBlooded

Couch Potato

• Interests:30 Rock, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, CSI, Ugly Betty, House

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:52 AM

Liz has an iPhone? What!? Gift from Jack. Has to be.

"We no longer wanna hit that" will be working it's way into my daily vocab. Also, how happy am I that Liz is coming over to the dark side? So happy. And that Jack was seriously a class A moron. Oh, show. I've missed you.

JACK KNOWS CHENEY. I wish I could reach into my TV and hug this show. Actually, when he was stuttering, I just wanted to reach into the TV and hug Jack. I can't stop squeeing about how awesome this show is.

Bacon

Bacon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 1:26 AM

Lemon's mental review of her "(f)ART" while turning Jack down was hilarious. And I also loved the Kenneth/Liz sidestare-down in Jack's office. Kenneth actually had a moment where his expression was an almost perfect YouTube Dramatic Gopher (or whatever it's called.)

My personal favorite was the "eating bugs for tampons" line on MILF Island.

What about Dilly, quietly playing with himself in the corner? Heh. I'm twelve too. We should get kidmarried and buy a fart machine - then we can divorce tomorrow after a slapfight.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 1:30 AM

Because the line pretty much sums up the entire strip -- years of material, but it always boiled down to a line like that.

For me, that bit wasn't that awesome, but I did laugh when Liz followed the 'ackkk' with a trademark Cathy tongue waggle. Also, her hairstyle and framing the shot just like a usual Cathy-at-the-table panel was nice.

Speaking of the fart machine sketch, I wonder if that was related to the "Who Farted" prop from 2-09 ("Ludacrismas"?)

I really liked the MILF Island parallels to the main story, Pete dialing his own extension, and the way the show managed to make a tired sitcom cliche (person lies, feels bad about it all episode, and finally cracks near the end and confesses) and make it very funny stuff.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 1:54 AM

Actually, when he was stuttering, I just wanted to reach into the TV and hug Jack.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that actually started to feel bad for Jack when he started stuttering. Plus, I didn't realize that Jack already knew it was Liz who talked to the reporter...I guess I'm a class A moron. I love that he had the little certificate and everything. And the nicknames were hilarious, Mrs. Stutterworth was my personal favorite. As always, the Jack/Liz friendship was cute.

I knew where the Pete story was going, but I still enjoyed it. And count me in on the love for "chocolate! chocolate! chocolate! Ackk!" The hair was great. I also liked the quick references to Liz's love life like the speed dating (she could hook up with Grizz again!) and asking the reporter if he was single. Oh, Liz.