11-01: "Drive-In" 2008.04.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

gor666

gor666

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

If she had used real yogurt instead of that thin, runny, "creme" kind, she would not have had to resort to PUDDING in a cocktail.

You bring up something that I've wondered about for the longest time...Why is it that the yogurt she uses for anything on that show always thin and runny?It always looks like watered-down Elmer's glue.I know if you leave it out in room temperature it gets that way,but even when she's taking it out of the fridge,it looks like that...could it be some other kind of liquid???(12).

Silly! It's not hallepeeno seeds that are hot. It's the seeds from those eevvill green bell peppers that you gotta watch out for. For in Sandy-Land, bell peppers = Hot.

Oh,that's right!.I was wondering why nobody called me back to compliment me on my stuffed bell peppers...THEY WERE DEAD!!!
My bad.

Who has a show on the air for multiple seasons and does a show in a parking lot!!!

I'll say Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor...as for a 'chef',I don't know.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

I was confused by this episode. Why was she at a drive in? Wouldn't food at a drive in be fried in oil and/or on a flat top grill? The drive ins we have here all serve "Brown Food" meaning delicious bits of things that are battered and fried. It isn't the kind of food you try to re-create at home, really. Are there drive ins where you grill food on a grill? What am I missing here? (Or am I overthinking things?)

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

Overthinking things, I think! ;D But really, "drive-in" to me says "fried" and "grease" and not "painted on grill marks" and root beer cooked for 40 minutes.

sendtoscott

sendtoscott

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

Sandy finally makes something I'd eat - the walnut burgers. Why, you ask? Because I'm allergic, and one bite would send me to the emergency room immediately. That means I wouldn't have to eat the rest of that crap. The risk of death is a small price to pay......

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

I'm willing to try the mini corn dogs. I love corn dogs and I can't wait til we can get to the State Fair of Texas so I can chow down on Fletcher's Corny Dogs.

KCMOCook

KCMOCook

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 7:03 PM

Sandy finally makes something I'd eat - the walnut burgers

No, seriously, you don't! I thought they sounded like a decent alternative to a beef burger and I had a can of garbanzo beans on hand and walnuts, so I thought, "Why not?" I toasted the walnuts and even threw in some sun-dried tomato hummus (yeah, redundant) I added fresh parsley, lemon juice and enough olive oil to make them moist.

I tried to shape them more into "tender" shapes, because I envisioned a nice sort of Mediterranean wrap. I cooked them on a stovetop grill pan. They fell apart immediately and I was left with a mess of crumbs. I managed to salvage one sandwich and it wasn't very good.

cartmann99

cartmann99

Video Archivist

• Interests:Cooking, baking, and snarking on Aunt Sandy.

Posted Mar 12, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

I finally watched my tape of this from 3/6/09.

That whole deal about giving each person their own ketchup was very puzzling to me. Even if you just absolutely lurve you some ketchup, could you really use more than say 1/3 cup for that meal? Why go to the trouble of filling all those containers up? Dumb!

I was telling DH about this episode and he turns to me says: "I think the fact that she basically just admitted that her family nearly came to blows over ketchup is very disturbing."

Sad but true.

addicted_aardvark

addicted_aardvark

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:28 AM

I was telling DH about this episode and he turns to me says: "I think the fact that she basically just admitted that her family nearly came to blows over ketchup is very disturbing."

Sad but true.

With some FN shows - like Ina's or Giada's - you know the running chatter and situations have to be scripted. But Aunt Sandy had said in past interviews pretty much that she wings it from an outline. So comments like that (above) ARE quite scary.

I do wonder whether healthfulness or family spats over dividing ketchup are the real reason that she, in at least one episode (I've forgotten the title), goes on about not letting the kids (Miss Stephanie or Brycer) have ketchup.

Philly Phoodie

Philly Phoodie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 3:37 PM

Why season the fries with chili seasoning if they already have it? This tablescape might be one of her worst yet.

That cocktail looked......BINDING.

Edited by Philly Phoodie, Jul 29, 2009 @ 3:38 PM.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

Why does Sandy's blender match her color scheme, especially when she is away from the set?

ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Hmmm...I didn't know drive-ins still existed, but apparently they do. Originally I wondered if Rudy's would have a little problem with Sandy cooking their menu items in their parking lot and possibly driving away their business, but then, it's not like anybody would be lining up to eat that crap anyway. But why on earth would they give away their secrets to Sandy? Or is she full of it as usual?

Rudy's customers, assuming they were doing business at that particular time, must have been wondering about the idiot who was not only grilling in the parking lot of a drive-in, but who had apparently lugged a table there and had decorated it. Why doesn't she just go inside and order something?

Why am I thinking that the sole reason Sandy was wearing that overshirt was because she needed longer sleeves that she could dip INto the "food?"

We get to hear about Kuh-leen today, because she and SLop apparently spent a lot of time there in college. Sandy wishes Kuh-leen were there. Why, Sandy? She wasn't one of your guests? You sure seemed to be cooking for her!

That dumb combo relish of hers isn't going to make anybody happy if they like only sweet or spicy and not both. Why didn't she make a sweet one AND a spicy one?

You call THAT deep-throating? Oh Sandy-poo, I am so disappointed. I know you can do better than that.

Why did Sandy season already-seasoned potato wedges, you may ask? Because obviously they didn't have all the seasoning we NEED. Hence the chili seasoning packet, which did. The fries, even combined with the canned chili (or anything else you like, it will be perfect!) also probably did not contain enough sodium to kill an elephant, and again, that is why we need a seasoning packet.

After putting the potato wedges/fries on the dirty grill, Sandy then neglects them so she can make her nasty walnut burger (with avocado slices, because Kuh-leen won't have it any other way, so we have to have them even though she won't be here). It's a good thing that grill wasn't on, because her potato wedges/fries could have sustained some nasty burns.

Apple cider vinegar with no mention of Kimber? She was slipping. On the other hand, she did add another seasoning packet to the burgers and talked about how they save all kinds of time and money, so maybe she hasn't slipped that far yet.

Ah, root beer floats. How could you possibly mess those up? (Watches Sandy make her root beer float sundae.) Well, I guess that's one way. Maybe if she hadn't used Cool Whip...

Since cocktails must feature in everything Sandy does in her life, we must include Cocktail Time! on our trip to a drive-in. Did she actually add pudding to this thing or did I have some kind of hallucination? This cocktail features orange everything, including li-KOOR, along with melk (BLECH!) and vanilla vodka (of course!). She basically spiked the hell out of this thing. Hopefully one of her guests will be able to serve as designated driver, or otherwise nobody will be able to leave that place for quite a while. Wait...there won't really be any guests, you say? It's just SLop? Ouch...

Well, at least she'll have a nice tablescape to look at while she sobers up, which includes lllli'l ketchup bottles so her imaginary guests can't fight over the ketchup. Except they probably will anyway since that's probably nowhere near enough ketchup to disguise the flavor of the "food." Sandy should have included portable toilets as well, to accommodate the fight to use the bathroom that likely occurs after the meal. Maybe she could have even decorated those to match her tablescape!

Any particular reason Sandy wants us to buy plastic disposable silverware online instead of just buying it like normal people? I mean, I like shopping online, but that just sounds odd.

Since I've never been to a drive-in, I can't help wondering how all those people find room to set up their portable kitchens. Do they cook before the movie or during it? Where does everybody find the space to set up their tablescapes?

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

There is still a drive-in movie theater called Bengie's in business near me. My co-worker's teenage son actually works there. In the concession stand. Because they make their money by selling food to the people who come and watch the movies. Sorry, Snads, no cooking in the parking lot.