The Tribe Has Amnesia: 1001 Dumb Survivor Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 7:58 PM

...not all of which will be dumb, of course.

Looked for a thread for this, couldn't find it, yada yada yada.

Anyway, two questions:

1) When did the Immunity Talisman become the Immunity Necklace?
2) Did we ever find out who Outback's Token Gay Survivor is?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 8:35 PM

1) When did the Immunity Talisman become the Immunity Necklace?

Africa? Marquesas? Somewhere in the early seasons not yet on DVD.

2) Did we ever find out who Outback's Token Gay Survivor is?

Varner's not gay?

Gingerwoman5

Gingerwoman5

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 6:34 AM

Varner has always insisted he's not gay. Pretty hard to believe. So has Colby...
Ok I have a dumb question... why did they have to sleep in the cave this last episode of f versus f. Why didn't they have a shelter built?

Edited by Gingerwoman5, Mar 29, 2008 @ 6:38 AM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

Did they *have* to sleep in the cave, or did they *choose* to at least try to sleep in the cave since the rain was coming down so hard that it was probably inundating the shelter. Even the best built palm frond shelter is not going to hold up against a downpour. That's my guess.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 5:27 PM

Varner has always insisted he's not gay. Pretty hard to believe.

And if we think that, TPTB probably thought that too. So gay or not, he was likely cast as the Outback TGS.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 1:02 AM

When, and more importantly, why did Probst start doing detailed play-by-play for the challenges?

WannaBeBad2

WannaBeBad2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 2:00 AM

I can't say why he gives so much more commentary for sure, but I've noticed that the challenges lately have been more complicated (collect the puzzle pieces, do the obstacle, complete the puzzle) in more recent seasons, whereas earlier seasons were mostly puzzles or physical challenges, so maybe he feels the need to keep people in mind of where they stand on the longer course. Or maybe he just likes the sound of his own voice.

butheircousins

butheircousins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

Do the jury members hang out in loser villiage together or are they seperated until meeting at every tribal council?

WannaBeBad2

WannaBeBad2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 9:01 PM

They hang out, as far as I know. I remember even way back in Thailand, one of the jury contestants asked Clay about racist remarks specifically because another jury member later commented about them in the Loser Lodge. Plus, in a lot of later TCs, the jury always seems to have someone they still hate who's still playing, and they constantly signal or laugh back and forth whenever said-contestant is targeted by Jeff or the other active players. So, I assume they confer with each other about their hated people outside the game.

Edited by WannaBeBad2, Mar 31, 2008 @ 9:02 PM.

GPBurdell

GPBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

(1) Anyone know how long does Tribal council normally lasts?
(2) When a survivor gets voted off, is there a double cheeseburger (or similar) waiting for them? About a hot shower?
(3) Do people in the loser lodge receive mail (or similar correspondence) from family members?
(4) Does the survivor that gets voted off see the confessionals at the voting booth?

Edited by GPBurdell, Apr 3, 2008 @ 12:33 PM.

Gingerwoman5

Gingerwoman5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2008 @ 5:54 AM

So, I assume they confer with each other about their hated people outside the game.

I've read many times that they aren't allowed to confer about the game, but if they are hanging out it must be damn hard to enforce.

When a survivor gets voted off, is there a double cheeseburger (or similar) waiting for them? About a hot shower?

I remember one of the Survivors on an early season saying they specified a favorite food which they got along with a prize pack when they came out.
A prize pack of promotional stuff like free doritos or whatever.

Edited by Gingerwoman5, Apr 1, 2008 @ 5:55 AM.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2008 @ 3:39 AM

I don't know what it's like up there, but down here on our sucky local version everybody got a chocolate bar (a Mars Bar, IIRC) when they left the game.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2008 @ 4:39 AM

I think Varner has always said that he was not going to confirm one way or the other if he was gay or not.

1) Anyone know how long does Tribal council normally lasts?
(2) When a survivor gets voted off, is there a double cheeseburger (or similar) waiting for them? About a hot shower?
(3) Do people in the loser lodge receive mail (or similar correspondence) from family members?
(4) Does the survivor that gets voted off see the confessionals at the voting booth?

Tribal Council goes for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We only see a few minutes of it.
I read somewhere that the contestants are asked prior to the game what their meal request is should they get voted out. Hence Shane's "I'm going to have an ice cream in one minute".
I don't think they are allowed any contact with family unless it's an emergency.
I don't think the bootee (or anyone else) sees any confessionals until the show is aired on TV.

contact321

contact321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

I know that the players who don't make the jury are sequestered together separate from the jury. But do those that don't make the jury get to talk to people who do and find out what happens, or are they totally out of the loop until the season airs?

For instance, does Ami know who makes the final 2/3, or do only the jury members know that?

svarlo

svarlo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 4:58 PM

I don't know if this is still the case, but in the early seasons, pre-jury boots were taken on a separate vacation away from the others. So they didn't know anything beyond the final pre-jury boot.

porkchop

porkchop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:58 PM

Can someone give the URL of the Ponderosa that was given during the show tonight. It's where the outcasts go to live while on the jury. I thought I'd remember it, but my memory has failed me.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

CBS.com/PONDEROSA

Gingerwoman5

Gingerwoman5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 6:12 AM

I think Varner has always said that he was not going to confirm one way or the other if he was gay or not.

Oh yeah that's right sorry. He never said he wasn't gay just won't comment.
I don't suppose anyone knows if quitters forfeit prize money? I mean the seven grand or ten grand or whatever they would have got for whatever place they came in.

Rob

Rob

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 8:21 AM

From memory of what has been said (DVDs, survivors, Mark Burnett, et al) over the years;

In Borneo, IIRC, pre-merge and post-merge where allowed to mingle. Thus Romana's claim to know who won when she was on Letterman. In fact BB was allowed a quick trip home for some reason. Granted Borneo was a completely different kettle of fish to all other seasons, thus anything that happened there shouldn't be taken as a norm.

And if I recall correctly there was no pre-merge holiday et cetera for Outback & Marquesas. I recall Varner mentioning that after a night by himself at the Loser Lodge he was shipped off back to the states. Of course it might of just meant the post-merge non-juror was excluded from any pre-merge group event, but that would've been rather mean...

And of course in Marquesas, Peter was pegged as first bootee very early on because of spoilers of him reappearing in his home town only after being gone a week or so, thus forcing the producers to change the rules from then on creating the pre-jury holiday et cetera thus at least all pre-jury leave together.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 8:28 AM

creating the pre-jury holiday et cetera thus at least all pre-jury leave together.

Which doesn't always happen like that either.

For the original ASS season, the pre-jury boots were sent out in waves to different locations. As I recall, there was a sighting of just Tina, Rudy and Cesterino (the first 3 boots) at one location, and later sightings of other pre-jury boots in other locales.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

And don't forget the Reunion, where Rich mentioned fawwing in wuv wiff the bellboy at his Loser Lodge in Buenos Aires.

Meg Bel

Meg Bel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 7:40 AM

A question about the food auction: Does it go on for longer than it is shown on tv? Because we only see 5-6 items, so my strategy would be to bid $500 on the first real food item I see. Yet there are always people who do not bid on anything, or are unwilling to spend their money or bid higher on an uncovered item. What is the strategy in this? Have any contestants ever talked about the auction after the show and given some insight into what really goes on?

MarchingOcelot

MarchingOcelot

Fanatic

• Interests:Filling in interests bubbles on websites

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 11:44 AM

I believe the auction does go on for longer, they just tend to show the items that come first or served with a side order of food-related drama. It does, apparently though, stop without warning, so some people have ended up without buying anything.

WannaBeBad2

WannaBeBad2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 2:38 AM

It wasn't mentioned really in this episode, but in eariler seasons, Probst seems to imply that the money is theirs to keep. Thus, if they do end up not bidding on anything, they at least have $500 more in their pocket when they leave the game. I think that's why the competition has so much emphasis on "You spent $280 on a hot dog." This is real money that they're given and then spending since they're that hungry.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

I've only been watching since Cook Islands... has anyone ever handed off their immunity necklace?
I know hidden immunity idols have been passed around a little, but I've never seen anyone share the necklace.
Thanks!

ETA for future readers, Erick to Natalie in Micronesia. Oh the humanity!

Edited by honeycocoa, May 10, 2008 @ 11:58 PM.

Fipe

Fipe

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

I've only been watching since Cook Islands... has anyone ever handed off their immunity necklace?
I know hidden immunity idols have been passed around a little, but I've never seen anyone share the necklace.
Thanks!

I vaguely remember somebody giving the necklace to HeiDDi in the Amazon. I think that's the only time it's ever happened.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

I vaguely remember somebody giving the necklace to HeiDDi in the Amazon.

Jenna did. I can't remember ther reasoning though; I think she just knew she was safe and wanted to be nice.

Burton also gave Rupert (I think) a necklace in Pearl Islands because he was given a spare one for that purpose, but I don't think that counts.

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

This is my first season watching, so I've got lots of dumb questions.
How does production adjust to the fact that they've had 3 people leave outside the usual tribal council process? Doesn't that shorten the game by several days? Or are they having more days in between challenges to stretch it out? Even if they did this, though, it seems it would have to shorten the SEASON by 3 episodes, wouldn't it?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

How does production adjust to the fact that they've had 3 people leave outside the usual tribal council process?

It depends on a number of factors: the number of contestants, pre-planned double-eliminations, and how close the atypical departure occurs to a TC day.

The show takes place over 39 days, period. Unexpected departures wouldn't change that. Typically, there's a TC every 3rd night, but that changes depending on the number of initial contestants and the number of them that will make up and face the jury. More contestants means more TCs.

This season started with 20 people, so there was likely going to be at least one day when both tribes went to TC and voted someone out. The combined RC/IC that Airai won so James could open bottles with his teeth was likely one of those planned days since both people sent to EI (Ozzy and Alexis) also got immunity for that night's TC only. With two extra departures before that challenge, the need for both tribes to go to TC was eliminated, so that particular twist was untwisted.

A previous season had one tribe unexpectedly vote out a second person right after voting at TC. No planning, no leaving TC, but an immediate second vote. TPTB might have had that plan in mind for this season too, but it too would have been deemed unnecessary by an unexpected departure.

In past seasons, people have quit or been evac'ed on the day of TC. TC has been called off in those cases. But that hasn't happened this season.

Now, we're on day 33 with only 5 people left, and a jury of 5. Presumably there will only be 2 more eliminations, leaving us with a jury of 7 and an F3. With only 2 more episodes, that's only one per. However, there typically would be 6 people left for these 2 episodes, so the final episode on Sunday will be one TC short of normal.

Season's just about as long as it should have been.

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

Thanks.