Rickey Minor, Bandzilla & The Bombastic Backups

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

31 replies to this topic

stuck in cincy

stuck in cincy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this topic, but the back-up singers kicked ass last night and they deserve some props. Who are they? Do they get any recognition? I guess due to age limits, they probably can't compete on AI?

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

Their names are Kenya Hathaway, Sharlotte Gibson, and Sy Smith.

I agree that they are really good and do help out the contestants a lot (except when they're louder than the contestant is). And I think the band is great too. There is a big difference from the earlier seasons without the band to now.

Edited by pk124, Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:26 PM.

Monique

Monique

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

I actually thought the backup singers were terrible last night. I thought they sounded like they were fighting with some of the contestants at times, particularly Ramiele and Carly.

mitchelltrio

mitchelltrio

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

Did anyone else catch the pukeface Ricky had on after Chikezie was eliminated? Funny; the camera never cuts to him at that point, but this time it did, and boy did that man look pissed.

sidneyellenwade

sidneyellenwade

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 12:07 AM

Did anyone else catch the pukeface Ricky had on after Chikezie was eliminated? Funny; the camera never cuts to him at that point, but this time it did, and boy did that man look pissed.

Yeah, I caught it, mitchelltrio. I expected it to be mentioned in the epi thread, but then forgot about it. He definitely looked pissed and it looked to me like he was pissed it was Chikezie going.

Lamron

Lamron

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

But doesn't Ricky already know who is going to go home way before the actually elimination? They have to know which contestants song to have ready, so while he may have looked pissed off it seems weird that it would be a reaction to Chikezie's elimination since he'd already known what was going to happen.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 3:03 PM

Why would they have to know ahead of time? The singout is the same song that the contestant sung the previous night so the band should be ready to play any one of them. I would guess that they do whatever needs to be done in the minute or two that the Home montage is being shown.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 8:24 AM

The backup singers are VERY annoying. They are way to loud and sound like they are screaming instead of singing most of the time. Backup singers are supposed to back the lead singer up not outshine and drown them out.

sashimigirl

sashimigirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

They are way to loud and sound like they are screaming instead of singing most of the time.

That I would actually put on the sound mixing and not the singers...the mix has often been a problem on AI (intentionally or not, that's for the Knoll!)

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2008 @ 9:09 AM

Just a minor FYI: the spelling is Rickey Minor, not Ricky Minor.

The backup singer who had been gone for a while this season -Sy - was back last night. I noticed last year that Kenya Hathaway was gone for a few episodes, so maybe either they have other committments or have other conflicts where they end up being out sometimes.

The band guitarist Paul Jackson Jr was excellent last night, especially with Michael Johns.

That I would actually put on the sound mixing and not the singers...the mix has often been a problem on AI (intentionally or not, that's for the Knoll!)

Agreed; the mix on AI can be really bad some nights.

But doesn't Ricky already know who is going to go home way before the actually elimination?

IIRC, Rickey is one of the very few who is told who is going home. I don't know if it's right before the show or during the show so they can get ready for the singout.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 4:15 PM

What was up with there being like 7 extra backup singers in addition to the regular 3 last night? It was way too much. Syesha and David C. were especially drowned out by them.

hyaline

hyaline

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

Can we retitle this Bandzilla & The Bombastic Backups (tm someone REALLY damn funny who is not me)

ETA: Thank you!

Edited by hyaline, Apr 26, 2008 @ 6:21 PM.

Pieceofmind

Pieceofmind

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

I really liked having Rickey on the stage and interacting with the performers again. It gives them a whole new performance avenue that putting the band 80,000ft in the air takes away.

sidneyellenwade

sidneyellenwade

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 2:38 PM

I've got to hand it to Rickey and Bandzilla during Brooke's oops. As unprofessional as she was is how professional they were. Rickey got them stopped immediately and they started back smoothly, so good on them. Can you imagine the breakdown that would have ensued had they *not* stopped? ~shudder~

hyaline

hyaline

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 6:23 PM

Ricky and his musicians are absolutely fabulous professionals -- I have no idea why they put up with that absolutely atrocious sound crew.

I agree about seeing them on the set -- I honestly would like to see the Idols forced to do a small stage 'cafe set' at some point during the competition like what Brooke tried to do earlier this year. Just so you can get an idea of what an Idol's show is going to look like live whether as part of an ensemble, as a frontman/woman, or simply milling about amongst the staff.

It's a valid 'are they ready yet?' yardstick and Ricky's crew could make anyone look good!

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 4:08 PM

The backup singers are VERY annoying. They are way to loud and sound like they are screaming instead of singing most of the time. Backup singers are supposed to back the lead singer up not outshine and drown them out.

This topic cracks me up. Because while Minor & Co. can indeed be irritating (and I recall a LOT of comments in early seasons about them sucking) they are INCREDIBLE compared to the gaping awfulness of the Dancing With The Stars Band (especially THEIR singers).

Mellowtrone

Mellowtrone

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2008 @ 7:04 AM

I get irritated with them for 2 no real faults of their own:

1. The sound mixing.
2. They're not the House Band from Rock Star, which was the best tv band EVER. (and would be the best band period if Hugh Laurie joined ;-)

I love the lead guitarist of RM,BandtheBB though -- he's pretty cool.

pushitrealgood

pushitrealgood

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

I love the lead guitarist of RM,BandtheBB though -- he's pretty cool.

You mean the one who plays guitar out front with the contestants sometimes? I like him too. Anybody know his name?

Edited by pushitrealgood, May 18, 2008 @ 11:10 AM.

sidneyellenwade

sidneyellenwade

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

You mean the one who plays guitar out front with the contestants sometimes? I like him too. Anybody know his name?

Paul Jackson.

Edited by sidneyellenwade, May 18, 2008 @ 12:33 PM.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

We were recently watching some old tapes of mine to see what needs to be transferred to DVD. This set of tapes contains live performances and music videos collected for several years. I was amazed - amazed! - to see how many of those performances had Rickey Minor and Paul Jackson Jr. in the background. (I saw Teddy Campbell, the drummer, sometimes too.) From Whitney Houston on the Tonight Show to different editions of VH1 Divas Live! to (more recently) VH1 Save the Music, American Music Awards, BET Awards, BET Celebration of Gospel. They have been the "house band" for everything and they're in the background playing behind some of the biggest singers and groups out there - pop, R&B, rock, country - if you look for them. Kind of staggering, really.

I knew I'd seen Rickey with Whitney because he was her tour musical director, but they just kept showing up on my tapes even when Whitney was nowhere around. So when Rickey says between the entire band, they know pretty much every song out there, I tend to believe him.

They're not the House Band from Rock Star, which was the best tv band EVER.

I also love the "House Band" and do sometimes wish they could be on AI every once in a while, simply to have some male backing vocals from time to time, and I love their showmanship. (I notice on some performance I have taped Rickey and the band have a mix of male and female singers, I wonder why AI is female only?). But after seeing the sheer versatility of Rickey and Bandzilla, I still have to give them the crown of best TV band. I don't think AI really lets them show what they can do, with 90 second performances.

I still think the band and singers, no matter who it is, needs to be on the same level and within eyesight of the contestants. I liked it the way it was; strings on one side, band and singers on the other. I did not think they were obtrusive at all. Bad, bad, idea to move them upper level. I notice lately they've been bringing the backup singers back to lower level and on stage on several performances, as well as pieces of the band, so I hope that means they realize the set design was a bad idea.

newgrl

newgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

I still think the band and singers, no matter who it is, needs to be on the same level and within eyesight of the contestants. I liked it the way it was; strings on one side, band and singers on the other. I did not think they were obtrusive at all. Bad, bad, idea to move them upper level.

WORD! I couldn't agree more. Moving the band to the second floor or whatever took so much out of the performances of the contestants. It's almost like a step backwards to the karaoke backing tape of the first few seasons. It's total crap.

I keep remembering when Bo or Melinda would turn around and thank the band for helping or whatever and other intimate moments that endeared the contestants to me. They totally took all of that away. Besides, the contestants that play guitar and other instruments look kinda silly standing on stage by themselves with their guitar and amp and the rest of the band 13 miles away and upstairs. Ya know?

Can you tell I hated this change?
I suppose an "/rant" is in order.

HoleyMoley

HoleyMoley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 12:49 PM

Y'know, back in earlier seasons when people complained about the band drowning people out, I never got it. I heard the contestants and the band just fine.

Strangely enough, earlier this year, I DID have problems sometimes hearing the singers over the band. Cookie in particular. I'd have problems hearing Archie or Amanda (although in all honesty, to me, not being able to hear Amanda isn't quite a problem), and I figured maybe it was just my T.V. Nope. OnYouTube, the problems were still there, albeit not as bad.

WTF, band? Or rather, sound mixers.

Not to mention, I know they have to snip the songs down and all, but sometimes the arrangements can really sound fucked-up and/or cheesy. And while Idol IS fucked-up and cheesy, and thecontestants can be as much to blame about song choices and possibly arrangements...you'd think the band could at least try not to make the arrangements sound like blatant karaoke backing tracks.

Edited by HoleyMoley, Jun 2, 2008 @ 12:51 PM.

presto

presto

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

I think I just spotted Rickey Minor playing bass on the Bo Diddley tribute at the Grammy Awards. Either that, or he has a lookalike. :)

Edited by presto, Feb 8, 2009 @ 11:00 PM.

bbob

bbob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

I think I just spotted Rickey Minor playing bass on the Bo Diddley tribute at the Grammy Awards. Either that, or he has a lookalike. :)

It said in the credits that he was the musical director for the whole Grammy show.

Edited by bbob, Feb 9, 2009 @ 10:59 AM.

MisterM

MisterM

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

Can anyone tell me what happened to the regular backup singers-- Sharlotte Gibson, Sy Smith, and Kenya Hathaway?
I haven't seen them this season.
Are they still with the show?

Blinx

Blinx

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2009 @ 8:02 AM

Rumor has it that the music so far is either canned backing tracks, or that the band are behind a screen somewhere because they get paid less if we don't actually see them on TV.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 9:45 PM

TPTB save even more if an artist doesn't even show up on a given day. 19E saves a ton by not having any live musicians/singers, I bet. I highly doubt they all have signed run of the show contracts.

Two practical considerations, though: 1) RM couldn't be in two places at once 2) There is better quality control if using a track and not relying on a live performance, where musicians and/or equipment can mess things up.

I don't know why there was a change of one of the back-ups. But, for whatever reason, the new trio ain't gettin' it done.

Meemah

Meemah

Just Tuned In

Posted May 13, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

I agree with Trojan69 that this years backup singers are not getting the job done.
Twice when doing backup for Adam, there was one voice... too loud... and too off key. Ruined the live show for me. Fortunately, I've downloaded the studio version that had better sound mixing and there were no backup-pitchy notes to ruin it for me.
The band this year, I think, is Hot!!! But the backups... NOT!!!

MisterM

MisterM

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

I notice only Kenya Hathaway is back this season.
Where's Sy Smith and Sharlotte Gibson?

Yep, I asked the same thing (almost) last year.

Edited by MisterM, Apr 3, 2010 @ 9:42 AM.

UrbanShocker

UrbanShocker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

Rickey Minor Leaves Idol

I think this might be a bigger loss than Simon.