HGTV Dream/Green House: The Worst Gift Ever and You Don't Even Have Cancer

• Please log in to reply

269 replies to this topic

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

Do you think that HGTV cares that none of the past winners has kept their house? My guess is no. As long as the sponsors are there and the audience tunes in for the unveiling and the give-away show, all is well for HGTV.

Beccadawg

Beccadawg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 8:02 PM

But don't forget that all the winners have become instant millionaires - sounds like a win/win to me. I'm sure not going to turn it down if they come knocking at my door.

buyitnow

buyitnow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

It's such a hoot to see the Dream Home winner ads. They couldn't even get a smile out of her; the poor editors were stuck with nada to use. What a total bust. That kitchen lady was even more awful live, live, live than on the boring kitchen show.

In any case they only had 3 minutes of winner reaction to fill, so even with the most nightmarish worst-case scenario they weren't too badly burned. What if they showed up and the winner had a heart attack and keeled over? They'd end the show calling 911. Maybe they have several Plan B, C, and D's in case of winner disaster. They still got all the requisite plugs in.

And what was the point of the phone call contest? Just another ad from the Florida Chamber of Commerce. IIRC, some woman in West Palm Beach won. Yeah, she'll be looking forward to that Florida vacation. Ha!

Why not a Dream Modular House, so that it could be shipped anywhere? Nawww, probably the prospective Dream Home locations bid against each other a few years in advance for this major long-running advertisement, and that's the primary funder for the show.

Edited by buyitnow, Mar 23, 2008 @ 10:51 PM.

Beccadawg

Beccadawg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

Of course I'm not sure, but I got the idea that the presentation wasn't live. Anybody else?

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 8:56 AM

I think it was pre-recorded. There's really no advantage to doing it live, is there? I liked the house itself but the interior design bored me. I watch Homes Across America most days (don't judge me, it's soothing!) and the quality of design of the beachy vacation homes is soooo much higher.

Dartower

Dartower

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 5:55 PM

But don't forget that all the winners have become instant millionaires - sounds like a win/win to me. I'm sure not going to turn it down if they come knocking at my door.

Are the winners awarded money? If not, they are not millionaires. They are the recipient of an expensive prize whose "value" will be considered income to them, on which they must pay taxes. Real estate is not a liquid asset, so they have to come up with the hard cold cash from their own resources. Living in your dream house also entails moving to where the house is. Hope the job prospects are good whereever the house is located. I wouldn't touch this contest with a ten foot pole.

Beccadawg

Beccadawg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 6:01 PM

As I said upthread, the sale is usually handled by HGTV, and you win the value of the home less the taxes, which is usually well over one million dollars.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 6:09 PM

I wouldn't touch this contest with a ten foot pole.

Oh, good! Nobody else enter, either! It's all mine, mine, mine!

Speaking of that, did I hear Twitchy say there were over 40 million entries? Wah.

You know what else was weird about the Dream Home winner? All those other people in the house who didn't even come over and look at the cameras or anything. Her husband briefly walked towards her for, but even he backed away. I really have to believe that--family gathering or not--if a damn camera crew paraded into my house, I'd stop what I was doing to watch.

I loved the Green House. Some of the Dream Homes I could take or leave, but I was happily imagining myself sitting in that back yard overlooking the lake,/river/inlet/whatever body of water that was. Does seem a little odd that again, this house was the first one built in what's going to be a entire community.

I wonder why they did two houses this year. I have to admit I kind of look forward to the Dream Home show every January 1. The familiarity of it all is soothing to me.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

Bumped due to new HGTV Dream House tonight, 9 eastern/8 central. The house is in the Sonoma area of California and supposed to be Victorian(ish).

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

Ten feet is not a high ceiling. Why in the world would you make it feel even more claustrophobic by painting it the same color as the walls?

Also, they once again don't believe in book space.

kae71463

kae71463

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

I was so very underwhelmed. A house in a subdivision completely furnished by a chain furniture store? Sad.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 12:54 AM

That office that whatshisname from Designed to Sell(?) did was horrible; there was absolutely no storage space since he cluttered up the only bookcase, had a desk with no drawers and turned the closet into a wine rack. Speaking of which, wouldn't it seem rather unprofessional to have all of that liquor on display if clients came to the office? Even in Sonoma, I wouldn't think one would want to see their account, for example, surrounded by alcohol at his workplace.

And don't get me started on Kim's horrible kid's room. Really, Kim, you think every child would love an auto-themed room? I would think most kids over the age of about 12 wouldn't want a room with any kind of childishly done theme. Why do all designers think that all kids rooms must have a theme? A color scheme; sure, why not? But enough with the themes.

The rest of the house, as usual, seems over-furnished and over-decorated. If you take out at least a quarter of the furniture and half of the accessories the house would look better.

Edited by MittenGirl, Jan 2, 2009 @ 12:55 AM.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 1:05 AM

Any word on what happened last year's winner? You know, the one who look bothered to be told she had won.

Anna2

Anna2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 2:43 AM

I liked the kitchen and the way the laundry room was laid out. But you'd think they'd have put a top-of-the line washer and dryer in there. I had to look hard to find them. But those drapes between the rooms? They'd be the first to go, along with that wussy desk in the den and the wine rack and that stupid car on the wall of the kids' room.

They kept calling the house a "cottage" and it seemed small, especially the upstairs. Did it have a basement or an attic? Was the garage a separate building?

Well, it's still nicer than mine.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Anna2, Jan 2, 2009 @ 12:22 PM.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

Having only 3 bedrooms in a house that size (wasn't it 2500 sq. feet?) seems strange. If a couple with a son and daughter move in, where does grandma sleep, on the couch in the 'living room'? Strange that there wasn't at least a pull-out couch somewhere. I really don't like Linda Whatsit's design, esp. in regard to the furniture she chooses. I thought a lot of her choices were too contemporary and the paint colors were odd as well. The light blue for the living room, which was tiny and oddly shaped, the kelly green in the master bedroom... just weird. The inside didn't go with the outside. It seems like someone who would buy a 'farmhouse Victorian' would be going for a more traditional but country/rustic design than that. Ethan Allen would have had plenty of that, but I've noticed that the EA commercials are desperately trying to convince the public that it is superhip.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 1:11 PM

Instead of that ginormous laundry room, they could have put the washer and dryer in a hall closet and made the laundry room a fourth bedroom with some reconfiguring of the upstairs layout.

Kim Myles' auto-themed bedroom was awful. As MittenGirl said, what is it with kids' rooms and themes? It's what drives me nuts about shows like "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" where they create this insane theme that fits a little kid, and you wonder what they're going to do when the kid outgrows their ballerina/pirate/princess/horsey/whatever stage. You want a room that grows with the child -- quality furniture and mattress/boxspring, and inexpensive accessories to decorate. I'd be ripping out that diamond-plate "chair rail" immediately. The guest room was nice.

Hated the curtains at the entry of each room downstairs. Too fussy.

Why would one need a sofa and chairs in a dining room?

The kitchen was gorgeous. Loved the cabinetry color.

The family room was underwhelming.

The study was heinous. Enough with the wine! You don't need a wine cabinet in a home office, not with two -- count 'em, two -- wine fridges in the kitchen. That closet could have just held shelving for office supplies and such. I did like the paint color.

Hated the kelly green in the master bedroom with the white-hot loathing of a thousand nuns. Too harsh. Loved the master bath and closet space.

Have to say, that outdoor kitchen/living space was sweet. And I want some of that lamb Bobby Flay made.

Edited by Ms Chicklet, Jan 2, 2009 @ 1:11 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 3:11 PM

I hate the curtains. Hated them so very much. And those very, very ugly and odd pillars in the entry were also completely random.

I loved the kitchen and the outdoor space but also thought the number of bedrooms was odd.

You don't need a wine cabinet in a home office, not with two -- count 'em, two -- wine fridges in the kitchen

I didn't mind that at all because if you are into wine you want to cellar some of it and that wouldn't be appropriate in a wine fridge.

Edited by biakbiak, Jan 3, 2009 @ 3:37 PM.

CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 11:13 PM

When I saw that Monica was doing the promo ads and the "designers" included the Designed to Sell guy from Atlanta and Ms. Myles of (cheap and cheesy) Style, I took a pass on watching it.

Sounds like I made the right decision.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 9:40 AM

Whoa, this is the first dream home that I've actively disliked. As everyone has said, the decorating choices were unfortunate.

Still hoping to win, though. :)

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Unfortunate indeed! If I were the winner, and in the Walgreens world, could afford to move to California and live in this house, I would have to spend massive amounts of time and money renovating. Most of the rooms were painted colors that I hate, and the tschochkies and "art" were just out of control.

What ever happened to "more neutral" to appeal to the largest number of people possible? I think TPTB know that 99% of people won't really ever live in this house, so they just let their designers and decorators go wild. Why don't they use the designers that have a modicum of talent? I would like to see what Candice Olson would do, or Lisa La Porta, or even, god forbid, Vern Yip. John Giddings and (gag) Kim Myles? So B list. I think they took their most unpopular designers and thought, "Hey! Let's have 'em go at the Dream House! That should raise their popularity!" Except, not. It just once again showcases how untalented and unconnected with what real people want that they are.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Kim Myles. So, so, so not a good designer. Do we know what her room is? Did she go global glam? Hotel boutique? Some other ridiculous made up name? Blech.

And am I mistaken, or did I see a severed hand in a glass jar in the study/wine closet room done by John Giddings? Is he an axe murderer? A Doctor Who fan? Who does that?

danskeron

danskeron

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 3:36 PM

Nice catch of the severed hand in the study/wine office.

Agree with everyone that I am not as impressed with this house as in previous years (what's up with the color schemes in the master and kids bedrooms and the weird layout/decorating of the office?). The last dream house I actually remember was the one in asheville, nc. This one's in a very different neighborhood (more middle class - with the ranch houses and car covers), plus the house is situated at what looks like an intersection. I don't know much about CA property values, but maybe they were trying for a house that the winner would actually live in?

My question is - is there a bathroom on the first floor?

Did someone else see one? Maybe it's by the stairs? I didn't watch the attached videos, but I was looking at the pictures and layout of the first floor and didn't see a powder room. Because it's a long walk for guests up to the second floor, and none of those bathrooms are conveniently located (i.e. have to pass through the bedrooms). Plus, with the glass front laundry room door I'd never have a prayer of keeping it tidy enough to not feel mortified as guests pass by.

Too bad they didn't attach a bathroom to the study (and make it a little larger) - would have made a nice option for a convert into a small guest room with separate outdoor access.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Yeah there was a powder room right next to the study and by the stairs you can see it here.

Edited by biakbiak, Jan 3, 2009 @ 3:45 PM.

Suga Wuga

Suga Wuga

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 4:58 PM

You know what kept irking me?

This is a contest. That anyone can enter. Couldn't they have switched up the photos in the frames a little? I know it's petty, but still. Why must everyone be Caucasian?

Loved the kitchen, the outdoor eating area, and the vineyard. Though my husband hated the driveway.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 4:59 PM

I also was underwhelmed by the house. What is it with the drapes puddling on the floor? Looks totally sloppy to me, like they couldn't get drapes the right length.
I did like the blue and white rug in the one room downstairs.
I agree with others that the study was awful, as was the kids room. My 2 grandsons who are 7 and 4 would have loved it, but eventually you have to grow up.
The kitchen was OK, but I wasn't drooling over it either.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 5:12 PM

When I saw that Monica was doing the promo ads and the "designers" included the Designed to Sell guy from Atlanta and Ms. Myles of (cheap and cheesy) Style, I took a pass on watching it.

Same here, CruiseDiva.

I would like to see what Candice Olson would do, or Lisa La Porta, or even, god forbid, Vern Yip. John Giddings and (gag) Kim Myles? So B list. I think they took their most unpopular designers and thought, "Hey! Let's have 'em go at the Dream House! That should raise their popularity!" Except, not. It just once again showcases how untalented and unconnected with what real people want that they are.

ITA, Willow2tree.

Yeah, life's too short to look at any more bad design and whacked decorating. Besides, I wouldn't want to miss any of those "Half Ton" people shows. Heh.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 5:16 PM

My big question about the study: Why was there no computer? Even a laptop, hell an iPhone.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

I'm just pulling this out my ass with absolutely no reason to think it could be a valid reason, but I'm willing to propose that there's no computer because no computer company participated as a sponsor.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

I really do not care for Monica Pederson. She reminds me of Don Draper's wife on Mad Men. The way she was prancing around the set, it looked like she should be in a 1950s Buick commercial. She's probably a nice person and I feel bad for not liking her, but it's hard to warm up to her. Really, none of the people showcased are terribly appealing. Bring back the calmness of Joe Ruggiero! Or even Emanuel Beliveau or Whatshisname from What You Get For the Money.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

There's some about Monica's deliver that is a little annoying. My biggest peeve with her is the way she says "we" and "our". Like "This is our fabric that we're going to use on our pillow" or "This is our drywall that we're using in our idiotic plan to cover up our window in our kitchen."

niftyfifty

niftyfifty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

I really do not care for Monica Pederson

Ditto. Whatever happened to Joan Steffand? I would also be happy to see Joe Ruggiero rather than her. She has no depth.
This was also my least favorite dream house. The location is not too exciting unless you are really into wine. I was not all that excited about the kitchen either. Given the size of the house and kitchen, two refrigerators seems excessive. I couldn't have hated the kids' room more. Nothing else about the house is kid friendly. Why create a special kids room?
The outdoor kitchen and entertaining space was my favorite area. It seems that there would be nice weather a good part of the year in that part of California making a nice outdoor space a good choice.
ETA: The main interior designer, Linda reminds me of Ina Garten for some reason.

Edited by niftyfifty, Jan 3, 2009 @ 10:06 PM.