Goodbye, Miss Alli!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

137 replies to this topic

GoodThings

GoodThings

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

Great recap Miss Alli. Survivor really won't be the same for me without your insights. Good luck with your new ventures!

Huh? What'd I miss? Sars, Glark and Wing Chung have left us, but according to the General Gabbery thread, Miss Alli was planning on being back. Have I not seen an announcement elsewhere?

kindredlaugh

kindredlaugh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Last paragraph of the recap

butlerdidit

butlerdidit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:37 PM

It's been a blast reading your recaps over the past seasons of Survivor. I will miss your witty turn of phrase Miss Alli.

babsg

babsg

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:41 PM

(cries, hugs Miss Alli) You can't go! We need you! *I* need you!!!

*ahem* Pardon me.

Good luck with all your future ventures, Miss Alli. Your recaps really were a big part of my enjoyment of the show (you made me especially happy today with a Big River reference.) Somehow it's fitting that you went out the same episode as our beloved Jonathan, to whom I think you bear some similarities. (Um... Personality wise: Smart and funny and logical and all that. )

Thank you for everything.

Edited by babsg, Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:44 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:45 PM

(cries, hugs Miss Alli) You can't go! We need you! *I* need you!!!

Hee hee heeeee hee hee. Well done, well done.

Thanks, y'all. I had a GREAT time.

yesyesyall

yesyesyall

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

Wow, Miss Alli, talk about a shocker. I did not expect to see that at the end of the recap. Best of luck to you.

LisaBoBisa

LisaBoBisa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Miss Alli....leaving??? What?!? Noooooooooooooo....{{sob}}

I will truly miss your musings. You're a very funny, smart and interesting commentator, which is something of a rarity these days. Your recaps were part of my Survivor thing. Good luck, have fun and keep writing!

Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

Miss Alli, this is going to "Hit Everyone Pretty Hard" over here.

(If you have to leave, your timing is perfect!)

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 4:27 PM

They really did give me a pretty awesome episode to go out on.

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

So there I was, smiling and chuckling my way through my Survivor recap, as always, till I came to The Paragraph announcing Miss Alli's departure. And now I'm embarrassingly, surprisingly upset about it. For many years, I've loved to visit TWoP daily, but mainly, it's been the place I come to for Miss Alli's latest Survivor and TAR recaps. (Also, BB recaps, but she probably doesn't want to be reminded of the horror...)

No disrespect to many other, wonderful recappers, but Miss Alli's always been far and away my favourite. Occasionally, I wonder if I'm not starting to sound like her when I speak, and write. (I know...in my dreams...)

All the best, Miss Alli, and a heartfelt thank you for hundreds of hours of witty, snarky goodness. I'll miss you greatly.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:04 PM

Aw, this is sad news. I love this site no matter what, but it was Miss Alli's recaps of the first season of The Apprentice that introduced me to TWOP, and made me want to stay. And I started watching both Survivor and The Amazing Race, because I knew she was recapping them, and so in a way, that also help me discover the awesomness of both of those shows.

But if you do have to go, I agree that this is actually a good episode to leave with, right along with Jonathan. While I'm sure I'll enjoy the recaps no matter what, I'll still remember Miss Alli's witty remarks, and especially when she called fools out on their shit (Lex, Alex/Lisi from Fiji, the Raro kids, etc.)

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:14 PM

First we lose Jonathan, and now Miss Alli. *snif* You just kicked ass at that last recap. [/Poverty]

iheartsnow

iheartsnow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

I kinda started rewatching "Survivor" because of Miss Alli's recaps, too. As someone who also enjoys the non-reality programming, I also read and enjoyed the "West Wing" recaps.

Sigh.

For some reason, this makes this all even more the end of an era.

Thanks for all of the enjoyable over-analysis (Seriously - that's my favorite television thing!)!

Melvin

Melvin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

Let me just add a Noooooooooooooo!!! to the pile here with regards to Miss Alli's departure.

No disrespect to many other, wonderful recappers, but Miss Alli's always been far and away my favourite.

+1

Hannah8976

Hannah8976

Video Archivist

• Interests:A new-found obsession with watching Amazing Race reruns on GSN (mind you - I saw them all the first time around) and reading recaps on TWOP (which I missed the first time around). I'm going to be bummed when I finally catch up.

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:49 PM

Also sorry to see you leaving the land of TV recapping, Miss Alli, but best of luck to you in your new endeavors!

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

I started watching "Survivor" because of Miss Alli, too, iheartsnow. I followed her here from TAR, which I also started watching because of her fill-in recaps for Shack on American Idol.

I think I can blame at least half of my TWoP addiction on you, Miss Alli. (The other half is partly Shack and partly posters and other recappers. Years from now, no matter how much I enjoy new recappers, I will still miss you, the way I still miss Shack even though I also like Jacob and Joe R.)

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:06 PM

Arggh! Say it ain't so, Miss Alli. It was your recaps of Survivor which got me watching TAR, and while they didn't get me to watch The Apprentice, I did actually read your recaps occasionally, just because they were so funny. I'm going to miss you, Miss Alli..and I never got to go to Tarcon and meet you even though I live really near NYC, and now..arggh!

heavenlyginger

heavenlyginger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:06 PM

Please add me to the list of people who are saddened by your departure Miss Alli. I've always enjoyed your recaps, your wit and your ability to make me sing along to the Amazing Race theme song (but never with lyrics quite as good as yours). Thank you muchly.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:18 PM

I never really liked Survivor and didn't watch it because of all the "high school", which is what it looked like to me from a distance. When I started reading Miss Alli's recaps I realized that the high school I was seeing was actually strategy. It hooked me, and it helped that Miss Alli understood and communicated the strategy far more, and far better, than anyone else has.

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:40 PM

Damn. You're leaving? Really!?!? <sigh> Damn.

Well, god speed, and good luck with all your future endeavors, Miss Alli. You will be sorely, sorely missed.

So long, and thanks for all the blah blah fishcakes. <heh>

Edited by Quiddler, Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:41 PM.

Drew13

Drew13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:45 PM

When we return, the music really, really sounds like a woman is moaning, "Come ooooon, baaaaabe," and I begin wondering whether subliminal messages are embedded in the vocalizing that always accompanies these openers.

There's a moment in almost every episode of this series where one of the Mysterious Chorus Members intones something that sounds suspiciously like "CHEEEEESE BREEEAD!!"

Kestrel

Kestrel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

There's a moment in almost every episode of this series where one of the Mysterious Chorus Members intones something that sounds suspiciously like "CHEEEEESE BREEEAD!!"

And a moment during the voting at every Tribal Council, where I swear hear "TIMMMMBERRRRRR!" as though a huge tree is about to fall.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:52 PM

If you still have the episode, listen to the "COME OOOOOON, BAAAABE" again. It's really eerie.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

I am upset, too. I think one of my favorite lines from the recaps (there have been many) has got to be her commenting on the possibly-fatal Ulongian Bobby Jon-choosing for the puzzle challenge: "Yes, Bobby Jon is the brains of the operation, apparently."

It's just not going to be the same, neither the recaps nor the forums, and I am going to miss Miss Alli very, very much. Ahem: any chance that you will make the occasional comment on Survivor and other (for example: how can TAR recaps go on?) shows on your new home blog?

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

God... damn it, this sucks. Across the board. I have next to no motivation to watch the show now, just realizing that I won't be reading Miss Alli's recaps that I grew accustomed to over the years.

Jonathan's departure... seeing someone who was passionate about the game, that spontaneous social game that is frustrating yet endearing in its unpredictability, hurts. Going out in one of the most heart-wrenching send-offs... I'll miss him and his wit and his enthusiasm for the game.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

I joined TWoP almost simultaneously with Miss Alli's debut as a recapper, I think -- I was a TAR addict from the moment of its premiere, was Googling around for some thoughtful writing about it, and guess who I found? And she brought me to the rest of the site. So it really does feel like the end of an era to me.

I know there are other fine recappers here, and I know that "snarking on TV," however fun to write (not to mention rewarding for others to read!) is not, in the end, a lifetime career -- eventually one probably wants to try doing something else. But damn, I'm going to miss looking forward to her next piece of writing here. Farewell and godspeed.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 7:03 PM

Agree with those who find it the 'end of an era,' even though I've only been on the site for about three years. Hey, short eras can be meaningful, too! I've just appreciated all the time spent on this site.

Megsy

Megsy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 8:02 PM

I joined TWoP almost simultaneously with Miss Alli's debut as a recapper, I think -- I was a TAR addict from the moment of its premiere, was Googling around for some thoughtful writing about it, and guess who I found? And she brought me to the rest of the site. So it really does feel like the end of an era to me.

Me too, almost exactly. And like others, I suspect I may not be watching Survivor any more if it weren't for the recaps. That strikes me as very odd, but I think it's right.

I'm really going to miss your writing, Miss Alli, but at the same time, I understand the pull of the other writing, having recently made a similar transition myself (and it's working. It's happening. You can do this, most definitely).

We probably need a thread for this, since we're all really off-topic here, but maybe Miss Alli will come back and moderate us one last time - "Come on guys - you know better than this." That would seem kind of fitting.

The title of the thread is also strangely fitting, of course. Sniff. First Jonathan, now Miss Alli.

ETA: Okay, now that this post has been moved from the other thread (which took me a while to work out - I was reading through here going, didn't we just have this cheese bread conversation, or maybe I dreamed it, oh wait, I get it ...) some of it doesn't make sense and some looks like it's been copied from other posts, which actually came after it in real time, but not 'this thread' time and now my head is hurting. Never mind. You'll be missed, fluctuations in the space-time continuum notwithstanding.

Edited by Megsy, Mar 18, 2008 @ 7:54 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

I've only been here for 5 years, and Shack (*snorfle* I still miss him) brought me here. I remember actually being annoyed when Miss Alli did the AI season 2 top 6 clip show recap because I was like "hey, that's not Shack!."

But then, the recaps were awesome, and I started watching TAR, and those recaps were awesome, and then Miss Alli hated Rupert, and all was well with the world.

I know once a long time ago Miss Alli said that she would never expect someone to agree with her opinions about reality TV people just because she wrote about them, but it was hard. When someone writes stuff that is so funny, and insightful too!, it's hard not to see things from that perspective.

Let's just say that I've liked a lot of people that Miss Alli didn't (Colin, Osten), but I've never hated anyone she liked. Weird, and maudlin, but hey, I'm just putting it out there.

I wish you all the best in your new ventures, and hope that you pop your head in here now and again. It's going to be sad to see your name blacked out like Glark, Wing, and Sars if that does happen.

Edited by mojoween, Mar 17, 2008 @ 8:09 PM.

Chardish

Chardish

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2008 @ 8:32 PM

Miss Alli! You couldn't have at least waited until the season break? : (

Nonetheless, I hope you keep dispensing Survivor insights at your blog. Your wit will be missed.