She's Crafty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9 replies to this topic

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

Canadian craft show on HGTV with your host Wendy Russell.

I don't see a thread for this already so I'm starting it.

I enjoy the show and it does have some cute ideas but I have to tune out Wendy. She is just too cool for me.

anaximander

anaximander

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 10:42 AM

Show drives me insane. One or two cute ideas, and one or two completely insane ones. IE one that showed "environmentally friendly" birdhouses using books as a covering. That they bought. (rather than use nearly-trashed ones from a library offsale, or something). Then they used white glue. From paper plates. Using disposable foam brushes. Then they covered the whole thing in freaking VARNISH. But hey, it's environmentally friendly, right? because.. um... birds. They're environmental.

Also? I wish someone would teach her how to use a hammer properly.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

Yeah but she hooked People's Sexiest Man and the birds of course.

Don't you just love the pasties she taught us how to make on the "girls craft night" episode.

Anen

Anen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

This show gives me the creeps. She is so uncool that all the fancy editing and zooming and insane closeups in the world can't disguise it. I watched half an episode once and now I can't even watch the ads.

Don't you just love the pasties she taught us how to make on the "girls craft night" episode.

I caught the end of that when they were all "twirling". I still have nightmares.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

I love this show, mainly because it takes crafting out of the painted wood ducks and hot-glued flowers onto fake window frames mode of the 80s (back when crafting really took off).

She makes fun and silly things that young women might actually tackle, and it's not all about glue guns or paint. Pasties? I'm sure that was just intended as good fun.

I've seen her make a clock out of an old rotary phone, transfer an ordinary blow-up of a favourite photo into wall art using collector card holders and jump rings and make a funky side table with bright polka dots.

millk, what do you mean, she hooked People's Sexiest Man? Is she the sig. other of someone famous?

anaximander

anaximander

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

No, he just happened to be on the show. I don't thing she's his.. um... cup of tea :)

@GracieM - If you're interested in this type of craft, check out Craft and Make magazines (and websites), as well as craftster.org - TONS of funky stuff there.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

Yep, I ment that she managed to get him on the show, sorry for the confusion.

Wendy's official bio. Interesting.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

I still don't know what "sexiest man" you're referring to. The only quasi-celeb I've seen on the show is Mark Montano, and surely he wasn't named in one of People's Sexiest Man lists.

Anyway, crafting is something that has been popular since the dawn of time. Like I said above, it hit a big popularity in the 80s/90s with all the country craft stuff, the painted signs, the ducks/geese/birdhouses, glue-gunning dried/silk flowers on things, lots of folk art painting, etc. When that went out of fashion, it seemed crafting in general took a nosedive too.

But this show shows that people who just want to exercise their creative muscle for fun, can still make cute things. The light fixture from plastic cups would be great at an outdoor party - not everyone can afford fancy rentals. Crap, I forget what else she made in that ep, but they were other silly things.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 8:30 PM

She had Danny Seo on doing the afore mentioned birdhouses.

There is nothing wrong with crafts, I'm a huge crafter and have tried everything at least once. (I'm currently working on a doormat for a bridal shower where I'm cross stiching the last name of the happy couple on a wide weave grass mat using outdoor fabric strips) Its the "aren't we cool and hip and alternative" that drives me crazy.

Edited by millk, Mar 28, 2008 @ 8:32 PM.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

I have been catching this on ION every now and then for the last few weeks. Judging by the previous posts, I guess I am watching HGTV reruns from a couple of years back.

I have absolutely no interest in crafts, but I have to say that I very much enjoy Wendy Russell. She is cute and a lot of fun. I can see where some might see her as trying to hard too be edgy and hip (and truth is Wendy is not as cool as she thinks she is), but I say that just adds to her charm.

Edited by reggiejax, Mar 2, 2010 @ 6:30 PM.