Ted and Robin: The Jerry and Elaine of the Aughts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Now while yes these two characters are much nicer, and less whiny than Jerry and Elaine, if the show continues on, it might be fun to compare with probably the most famous pair of sitcom "Couple that once was an item, but now are just very good old friends" pairings of opposites with no romantically interludes (This, that, and the other and the episode where they had to do it to save the friendship aside on Seinfeld).

Of course it would be hard to peek much farther into the future as the show does need to end with Ted meeting the future Mrs. Moseby, but it would be nice to get glimpses of the two characters in the "friends zone" through the years.

queenofdenile

queenofdenile

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2008 @ 5:38 AM

Ted mentions, at the end of the pilot, that he brought up the "signal" with Robin years later, and she told him yes, he could have kissed her. I think I'd like the show to end with that moment, maybe as they're dancing together at Ted's wedding. It would be a nice bookend for the series and a sign of true friendship if they could occasionally reminisce about their former relationship without feeling awkward or wanting to get back together in any way.

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2009 @ 2:11 PM

I'm watching this awesome series for the first time, and while I don't actively hate the Ted-Robin pairing, I'm definitely not remotely invested in it.

For one thing, we know from the Pilot that Robin ends up 'Aunt Robin', so there's no suspense (although there IS a certain amount of relief!) that Robin ends up being the titular 'Mother' of Ted's kids. We know immediately that whatever sort of relationship they have ends and are just waiting for the two of them to finally figure that out.

More importantly, I just don't see much chemistry between them, physically or otherwise'. I don't really see why they'd 'click' and have much of a connection. I also feel like Robin is a little less distinctively Robin (fiercely independent, tough, amusingly emotionally clueless, pragmatic) when she's with Ted and a little more like a generic female TV character.

Edited by bookwrm74, Jan 16, 2009 @ 2:12 PM.

WalaBridget

WalaBridget

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

I love them together and I still have some in my heart they end up together.

Edited by WalaBridget, Jan 20, 2010 @ 6:27 AM.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

Naw they are better as friends, besides Robin belongs with Barney. I think in the end those two will make it work somehow.

falulatonks

falulatonks

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

Rewatching the second season lately makes me realise how naturally both of them fit together for me, and I think they were written and handled much better than Barney/Robin. I thought they were sweet together, but I definitely love them more as friends, because of how much I love their break-up scene (it may be my favourite TV break-up ever). It was so well done - it was heartbreaking, and realistic, and both actors handled it really well.

Edited by falulatonks, Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:44 AM.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

" I agree. I always felt they just had as much chemistry as Robin/Cobie did with Barney/Neil if not more so. They just didn't share their first solo scene playing laser tag.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2010 @ 5:42 PM

falulatonks, theirs is my favourite TV breakup too. No cheating, no histrionics-- it just didn't work out, and they both sadly, quietly realise it.

I also feel like Robin is a little less distinctively Robin (fiercely independent, tough, amusingly emotionally clueless, pragmatic) when she's with Ted and a little more like a generic female TV character.

Robin's character has always just kind of moulded to fit the season's storyline, to the point where I don't even know whether there is a "distinctive Robin". But I think she was a lot 'softer' in seasons 1 and 2 than she is now. I don't think she was necessarily out of character in season 2-- I think at that point a) well, she liked him, despite his creepy stalker tendencies, so she thought she'd try it and b) Ted had worn her down with said creepy stalker tendencies.

WalaBridget

WalaBridget

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2010 @ 6:28 AM

I don't think Barney and Robin belong together for me in my opinion Ted has been always been the better match for Robin.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

I never saw any sexual/physical chemistry between Ted & Robin, and found it hard to believe that they would be all over each other during the time they dated AND after they break up and have random sex at various episodes. The best thing out of their relationship was the friendship vibe, the way Ted made Robin say the words and actually sit down and discuss certain aspects of their relationship.

There is something terribly wrong with the characterization of Robin lately and I think it has to do with the fact that after she broke up with Ted, the growth she generated during their relationship just faded off the page, as if the relationship did nothing for her except that it took up a year of her time. That's why I don't buy that she and Barney couldn't find ways to make their new relationship work. Sure, she's not the greatest at relationships, but she did have a rather good one with Ted not all that long ago. With Barney, she could have been the Ted in that relationship.

To me, Ted needs a woman who will adore him and be wowed by him a little. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Robin ever being wowed by Ted. (Not counting the blue horn "I love you" debacle.) It always seemed to be the other way around.

Edited by AuntieLizard, Jan 24, 2010 @ 10:23 PM.

mwitter2003

mwitter2003

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

It's 2012 and we've seen many scenes leading to believe Barney and Robin get married but I'm still rooting for ya Ted aka Teddy Westside