4-5: "The Constant" 2008.02.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

921 replies to this topic

MeetYourMaker

MeetYourMaker

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

I rarely post. But OMG. THAT was the best episode in the history of television.

ladder man

ladder man

Couch Potato

OK, im confused on the significance to the clunker (that Desmond is Faraday's constant). It implies that Faraday knows Desmond, but a) thats true because they met in '96 or b) its true because they met on the island. (?)

daisy991

daisy991

Loyal Viewer

Wow. Totally makes up for last week's joke. Do you think "Ben's spy" is the one who unlocked the sick bay and trashed the comm equipment?

LittleTitious

LittleTitious

Loyal Viewer

I love Desmond episodes. The end when he finally speaks to Penny was so awesome, just made me so happy.

Jeremy Davies is brilliant as Faraday. Just plays the role so well.

I really want to know what is in the Black Rock Diary that Charles Widmore bought at the auction.

Poor Fisher Stevens....

charlequin

charlequin

Channel Surfer

That was phenomenal! :o

Even beside the fantastic drama, so many answered or partially answered questions tonight: what's wrong with Daniel, why Desmond wound up in jail, why Penny is calling the island.... omg so good.

troycrazy8

troycrazy8

Fanatic

• Interests:Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Zachary Levi, Owain Yeoman, Jamie Bamber, Wentworth Miller, Kyle Chandler, David Boreanaz, Tahmoh Penikett, Lee Pace, John Krasinski, Paul Adelstein, Scott Patterson, Matthew Fox, Goran Visnjic, Eric Close, George Eads.<br /><br />Need I say more?

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

I lost the show after Desmond and Penny' hung up from the phone call. What did I miss?!?!?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

That was fucking genius. Between the awesome mindfuck and my panic over Desmond and the sheer heartbreaking awesomeness that is Desmond/Penny, this is probably the best of the season so far. I was talking to my TV for the whole last act. "Give him the number, Penny, please!" "Pick up the phone, please!" I'm still crying a little, too.

Love. Daniel. Like crazy. Frank, too. If either of them turn out to actually be nefarious, I will be heartbroken.

USGangster86

USGangster86

Couch Potato

10/10 just for the Desmond/Penny scene. That made me cry like a baby.

I really think Michael or Walt was the person that helped Des and Sayid.

wickedawesome

wickedawesome

Just Tuned In

Best episode of Lost ever. The pattern holds: Kate episodes meh, Desmond episodes amazing. And the way Jeremy Davies modulated his performance as a crankier, younger, less humble Oxforder was perfect.

For me, this show is actually about Desmond and Penny just as much as The Office UK was really about Tim and Dawn. The quick edits at the end as they're talking over each other were perfect.

Edited by wickedawesome, Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:07 PM.

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

I am in love & lust with Desmond. And Daniel. And Sayid.

And Jin, even though we won't see him until next week.

Best. Episode. Ever. And as confusing as it was, I somehow feel like it made...*sense*!

layray

layray

Channel Surfer

Wow! such a wow and gasp show! The first one that's ever incited me to post on a forum!
I love Desmond
AND Charlie isn't necessarally dead totally rocked my socks and made me want to cry at the thought of Des dying

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

What did the note book page say?!

Faraday wrote that if something went wrong that Desmond could be his constant.

pirouette

pirouette

Couch Potato

That? Was brilliant.

The take on a "constant" and what a constant refers to? Extremely clever. The scene between Penny and Desmond? Absolute perfection. Daniel? Awesome.

There are no words. Seriously.

cid

cid

Couch Potato

I'm firmly convinced that Widmore is the money behind Dharma. And he may be 'The Economist'. Now the question posed by this episode is: Is Daniel involved with Dharma? And/or are his companions?

mariolatry521

mariolatry521

Loyal Viewer

I kept expecting Michael to show up at the very end. That was a little disappointing.

But the rest - WOW! Desmond episodes are always great. I definitely teared up at the end. I don't care what else happens, but Desmond and Penny HAVE to be reunited.

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

So is it possible that Jacob is stuck between different points in time?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

So Des being Daniel's constant means what exactly?

My guess is shortly after meeting Des, Faraday used the machine on himself and started time tripping. Probably why he seems a little bit crazy and was under a nurse's care in the season opener. So Des is the one at the beginning and the end.

USGangster86

USGangster86

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

Next week looks great too, but I do not know how that can top this episode.

jakenderek

jakenderek

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

I screamed, out loud, SEVERAL times, WTF?!, over the course of this episode.

Bloody brilliant, brutha!

I don't get it, and I need to watch again, but, wow. Just wow.

The cutaway of Faraday's notebook, noting Desmond as his constant?

Bloody genius

idledandy

idledandy

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

Oh my goodness. I'm spent. That was so weird and so wonderful. The Desmond/Penny story is one of the most beautiful romances EVER.

So the Lostpedia version of the timeline is screwy. I was beginning to think so when last week passed with no Christmas. I think the problem happened with "The Brig." One of the datestamps was off. It made it seem like the Losties went three days after "D.O.C." without doing anything.

What was with the four non-Xed days in October?

ec2

ec2

Channel Surfer

Angeepang:What did the note book page say?!

If anything Goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant.

That was easily a top 5 all-time LOST episode.

The actors tonight all came through the screen.

Hey, so Mr. Widmore knows something, it is plain obvious now. He is buying the book/manifest from the Black Rock? But in 1996 no less? And all the numbers tonight (Faraday's number he gave Des, the bid paddle, the Penelope's address and phone number, my goodness, they have to be Hurley's at some level. It is still early, but I know the minds on this board will connect them all.

There should be an emmy for Mr. Henry Ian Cusick for tonight's performance alone.

Edited by ec2, Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:10 PM.

layray

layray

Channel Surfer

Was it just me who heard that the Black Rock was lost in 1847 or something like that? I'm confused by that...

kchawk

kchawk

Fanatic

And Desmond with short hair...holy hot man.

See, I thought for sure they were gonna kill him off because he was able to cut his hair for those scenes.

Oh my god, how I love Desmond!! And Sayid! And Penny! And Daniel (with Desmond as his constant)!

Thank you, Show, for not killing off a character I actually care about.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

That was a great Christmas episode. Full of hope.

debi48

debi48

Loyal Viewer

Desmond is changing the future with his jumps. Now Daniel's journal contains a Desmond reference. The whole future is up for grabs.

And that Christmas Eve phone call made me melt. I'll take these two over Kate and James/Jack any day!

Edited by debi48, Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:11 PM.

lostnerd

lostnerd

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:10 PM

holy crap that was good.

Can someone pls remind me what Hanso is? Is it the people behind Dharma? Cause at the auction they said that the book from the Black Rock was bought by Hanso. Also, I need a reminder about the Black Rock. Isn't there a Black Rock on the island? Was it the actual crashed ship?

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

My guess is shortly after meeting Des, Faraday used the machine on himself and started time tripping. Probably why he seems a little bit crazy and was under a nurse's care in the season opener. So Des is the one at the beginning and the end.

Yeah that was my guess to. Plus he had the knowledge that he knew Desmond in the future as well so he felt relatively safe doing it.

ladder man

ladder man

Couch Potato

AND Charlie isn't necessarally dead totally rocked my socks and made me want to cry at the thought of Des dying

Charlie IS dead...Penny was talking about the convo she had with charlie in the moonpool right before Charlie died.

StarrGazerr

StarrGazerr

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Am I hallucinating, or was that Black Rock ship the same on the island? And the last name of the owner was HANSO? I don't know what to make of this. Perhaps he was the Hanso of the Orientation videos' relative and that's how they found their location for Dharma?

No hallucination. The Black Rock that they were talking about has to be the same ship that is now on the Island. I cannot wait to see what that diary might hold. They said the seller was named Tovard (or Tovar?) Hanso. The proverbial head of the Dharma Initiative was Alvar Hanso. Interestingly, they also said that "the family" were the only people who know what was in the diary. And, if the ship is now on the Island, it's just possible that the diary would be able to describe where the Island is. So the Hanso family knows what's in the diary, and Widmore now owns a set of directions to the Island. Oh man why does it take an entire week for the next episode??

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Was it just me who heard that the Black Rock was lost in 1847 or something like that? I'm confused by that...

why, no contradictions leap to mind.