AFI's 10 Top 10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

55 replies to this topic

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2008 @ 12:21 AM

The theme for this year's AFI special has been announced. Instead of doing the 100 best of a particular category, they are making lists of the top 10 movies in 10 film genres. The featured genres are Animation, Fantasy, Gangster, Sci-Fi, Western, Sports, Mystery, Romantic Comedy, Courtroom Drama, and Epic. You can look at the list of nominees on the AFI website, but you must register first. As in previous years, the special will air on CBS in June.

My first thought is that if this special doesn't smack of desparation, then I don't know what does. My thoughts about the nominees:
*Legally Blonde is a nominee for the Courtroom Drama genre. WTF?
*I would consider Some Like It Hot and Eternal Sunshine to be romantic comedies if anything, not Gangster or Sci-Fi, respectively.
*So far my "write in votes" would be for High Fidelity for Romantic Comedy and The Simpsons Movie for Animation. Of course, the stipulation that the movies have to be AMERICAN automatically disqualifies the anime movies and other foreign animated works that are much better than, say, Happy Feet.

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

I saw a promo for this last night. I can't believe AFI is still doing these lists but knowing me, I'll probably tune in June 17 anyway.

Overall, it's kind of boring with the same films being brought up every single year. Going through the nominated films, I agree, there are some real head scratchers.

I would not consider 'It's A Wonderful Life' a fantasy film. I also don't get why 'Fellowship' was the only LOTR movie nominated, or for that matter, why it's not in the epic category.

'Schindler's List' and 'Malcolm X' don't strike me as being particularly epic films, but I guess there isn't anywhere else they could put them.

Edited by Catcher22, Jun 2, 2008 @ 1:36 PM.

YuppieLawyer

YuppieLawyer

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

Yeah, what about just a romantic drama? That's what Eternal Sunshine is and what a lot of romances are. Or what about a historical drama that's not an "epic"? The categories seem to be too overlapping and yet leaving out completely whole swaths of films. Why aren't musicals in their own category? It's all very strange.

Of course, the stipulation that the movies have to be AMERICAN automatically disqualifies the anime movies and other foreign animated works that are much better than, say, Happy Feet.

It is the American Film Institute, after all.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

This will be airing on CBS on June 17 at 8pm EST. . . if anyone still cares.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

I missed the first few AFI specials, but I've been watching for the last five or six years. (I think "Heroes and Villains" was my first one.) I'm definitely looking forward to it tonight, even though it means I've got three VCRs working tonight to catch everything I wanted to watch.

Brendino

Brendino

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 6:16 PM

I'm a sucker for these AFI shows - but I agree this year's theme is a bit weird. I guess none of these genres were worthy of a top 100 list of their own. That's certainly true for the (bizarre) Courtroom Drama category. There are an awful lot of B movies here, including possibly every adaptation of Trurow/Grisham novel ever made. What can you say about a category that includes Legally Blonde and Judgment at Nuremburg?? They're so alike! After To Kill a Mockingbird, Nuremburg and 12 Angry Men, isn't that genre about used up? The definition of Mystery genre (versus suspense) is also a bit mystifying. I notice that Psycho isn't listed as a mystery, though many other Hitchcock films are, so who knows?

On the upside, this is a rare year when Casablanca doesn't appear under any of the genres.

YuppieLawyer

YuppieLawyer

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:15 PM

After To Kill a Mockingbird, Nuremburg and 12 Angry Men, isn't that genre about used up?

I'd add The Verdict to your list, but then, yeah, there's not much more. Maybe Philadelphia or A Few Good Men. Ooooh, and Kramer v. Kramer. That movie always makes me cry.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

No shock, Shrek is the only non-Disney/Pixar in the top 10-Animation. Just think of all the Disney flicks that didn't make it: Song of the South, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmations, Jungle Book, Sword in the Stone, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Little Mermaid. They've pretty much owned feature-length animation for the last 70 years.

RexDude

RexDude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 8:31 PM

The animated genre was missing a Miazaki movie. How about "Princess Mononoke."

Also, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," not even in the top 10 westerns? What a travesty.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

Also, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," not even in the top 10 westerns? What a travesty.

If we were going to have another Eastwood western outside of Unforgiven, I would have chosen The Outlaw Josey Wales.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

I'm a sucker for these AFI shows - but I agree this year's theme is a bit weird. I guess none of these genres were worthy of a top 100 list of their own.

If AFI needs another theme, I think the Top 25 best sports-related movies would be a great one. Many of my favorite films are entirely based around sports.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

Gene Hackman was in a lot of movies.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

I was surprised not to see "Philadelphia" in the courtroom catagory. But was very happy to see TKAMB take first place. I would have liked to see "Manchurian Candidate"(Angela Lansbury version) get a spot on the top ten list of mysteries. One thing that I don't like is that they pretty much reveal the end of the movies. I've always watched these specials to see what older films are out there that I haven't seen yet. It sucks when the end is ruined.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

I can't help but watch these specials.

They missed some genres too. Musicals, war movies, maybe something with minorities, plain comedies.

How about 10 greatest movies from each decade?

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

I was surprised not to see "Philadelphia" in the courtroom catagory.

That was quite a shocker for me as well. I looked at the 500 nominees list, and there are quite a few that I would've put in place of others. Another one that I'm surprised that it wasn't on the list is "Pleasantville". I think that movie is excellent.

How about 10 greatest movies from each decade?

That's a great idea.

They missed some genres too. Musicals, war movies, maybe something with minorities, plain comedies.

Yeah, there were quite a few missing along with the "Horror" genre as well.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

There was a stretch where they did Westerns, Gangster, and Mystery and it was just too serious for too long a stretch. They could have broken it up with some more "lighter" genres. Coming of age? Silent?

In Animation, I would have replaced Bambi with South Park. First, it would add more variety and it plays off American musical movie conventions in a clever way. Second, name one person who has rewatched Bambi after being traumatized by it as a kid. South Park was the first R-rated movie I saw in the theatre, and even though I literally couldn't breath when Stan "found the clitoris" (I was a very sheltered child), it was still less traumatic than Bambi.

I was also surprised that Philadelphia didn't make the Courtroom Drama list. While all the epic movies were, of course, epic, I have never heard of Reds before. I am 24 years old, is there some reason I have never heard of this movie before? I would have probably replaced that with Birth of a Nation. Though problematic, it was the first cinematic epic and changed the course of the industry.

Some of the comments were pretty interesting. I agree with Elizabeth Perkins that it's sad that "a cast of thousands" is no longer a draw. The observations of the women commenting on Cinderella and Snow White were also interesting in that they simultaneously loved the "happily ever after" aspect while also realizing that these Disney movies were largely responsible for assuring generations of girls that "someday their prince would come," setting them up for disappointment and failure in romance. One of the criteria for these lists is "cultural significance," and I think this might be the first time that they acknowledged that some of that significance might be negative.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

I would have replaced "Groundhogs Day" in the fantasy list with "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "Mary Poppins" or "Princess Bride".

runcible spoon

runcible spoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

What can you say about a category that includes Legally Blonde and Judgment at Nuremburg??

*scratches head* wow.

A film noir (my favorite genre) category would be interesting but it couldn't include any movie made after say, 1965. War would be another good category. I would categorize Schindler's List as a war movie because a war movie doesn't have to take place on the battlefield.

Brendino

Brendino

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

I don't think The Good, the Bad and the Ugly qualified as an American movie - one of the limiting factors in these AFI shows. When they cued up the Chariots of Fire music during the Sports movies, I thought for sure it was going to place somewhere, but I think it was judged to be a British picture. However, AFI has often ranked David Lean's movies like Lawrence of Arabia, so their criteria is probably fuzzy.

Can't believe The Lady Eve didn't rank as a romantic comedy - could easily have replaced either of those Meg Ryan movies and, yes, you could bet the house on it: they were bound to show us the orgasm scene from When Harry Met Sally, as if we haven't all seen it a hundred times.

I know this isn't popular, but Spielberg usually bugs me in these AFI shows: he takes himself so seriously. Tonight, he says about Private Ryan, "the audience cares at the end of the movie because they've gotten to know the 6 characters". Well, duh! It's like, after 30+ years as a director, he finally realizes that the audience likes to get into characters' minds and that this enhances the movie experience. Coming from the guy who helped bring about the dumbing down of movies, I guess that isn't a surprise.

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

Ugh... If Caddyshack = Sports Movie, where was Blazing Saddles in Westerns? Also, how do you USE the Chariots of Fire theme but not have it in the top 10?

(And speaking of White Heat - did Kevin Garnett just shout: "Made it ma, top of the world?" One would hope winning a basketball title isn't immediately followed by explosions).

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:09 PM

I was happy that City Lights made the top spot in romantic comedies, although I was a bit disappointed that The Apartment didn't make the list.

I'm not sure how I feel about To Kill A Mockingbird topping the Courtroom Drama list. I was a bit shocked that 12 Angry Men wasn't on top because that's the film I think of most when I think "Courtroom Drama." When TKAM was revealed, I just kind of shrugged and didn't think much else of it. TKAM is fine, but it's just not one of my favorites.

Cameron Crowe's line about how The Third Man is like a complicated math problem that leads to the perfect solution had me rolling my eyes. It all makes sense to me now how this is the same man who thought up the line "You had me at 'Hello'."

Edited by Catcher22, Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:09 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

I had the biggest negative reaction to Harold and Maude, simply because that movie pisses me off like very few others. Its moral is basically that you should be completely selfish, and nothing matters as long as you get to do what you want, even if that includes stealing cars.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:23 PM

I fully expected to see "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" make the Science Fiction list. To me I think that's a better film than Terminator 2. Terminator 2 to me is more of an action flick.

ETA: I would have loved to see "Victor Victoria" on the romantic comedy list. I'm still upset it didn't make the musicals list. I like that movie a LOT better than "When Harry Met Sally".

Edited by GoldenWoman, Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:30 PM.

curlyblackeggs

curlyblackeggs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:46 PM

When they cued up the Chariots of Fire music during the Sports movies, I thought for sure it was going to place somewhere, but I think it was judged to be a British picture.

It made the "100 Years, 100 Cheers" List.

Jalyn

Jalyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

I may be too young to actually understand the epic scope of both Lawrence of Arabia and Ben-Hur, but I don't understand the judging in that category. Schindler's List is the only movie I can think of that hits the epic scope of what humans are capable of in both the ultimate low that a society can reach and the ultimate high that a person can reach.
All I really know is that... given the limited clips that were provided on this show, it moved me back to the sobbing wreck that I was the first time I saw the movie, not because the clips were so perfect, but because they called to mind the perfect scenes that they didn't show - the red coat of the child that died and the perfect "I could have saved more' speech.
I've asked my parents, who should have a more objective point of view than I, in regard to movies that came before it, to explain why the two that were "above" Schindler's List might have possibly been higher (they, presumably, would have actually seen the movies and would have a better idea than I) and I'm waiting to hear their response (they are on a different coast, so I can't get the immediate reaction yet.) All I know is... if that was the category that they were going to put the movie in, I can't imagine that would eclipse it. Nothing else that I have ever seen has ever made me question my basic literary tenant that there is nothing true that can be more powerful than fiction.

Edited by Jalyn, Jun 18, 2008 @ 12:24 AM.

RexDude

RexDude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 12:55 AM

Is it unamerican not to love the Godfather movies? For a gangster movie I prefer Miller's Crossing.
I never thought of Clockwork Orange as sci-fi. A dystopian future movie, sure. It's got the fi, but not much sci.
Some of those movies could have been in a couple categories. Field of Dreams- either sports or fantasy. Star Wars- fantasy or sci-fi.

Everytime I see one of these shows I wish there was a repertory movie theater close to me. It would be awsome to be able to see some of these old films on the big screen. Better yet just set aside one screen in the multi-plexes for classics. Repeats instead of remakes.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:49 AM

Ugh, this bugged me.

First of all, Gone With the Wind is not the #1 Epic? In what universe? What has Reds done to make that list? I've never even heard of it until tonight. Also, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia and The Ten Commandments have always been massively overrated. Two that should have been on that list that weren't would be Giant and Dances With Wolves.

As for Romantic Comedies, City Lights as #1 is just stupid. There's nothing particularly special about it, and most people have never seen (and never will) or even heard of it! ITA with this:

I had the biggest negative reaction to Harold and Maude, simply because that movie pisses me off like very few others. Its moral is basically that you should be completely selfish, and nothing matters as long as you get to do what you want, even if that includes stealing cars.

I LOATHE this movie. That kid is such a spoiled brat. He could go/do/be anything he wants but he chooses to sit around feeling sorry for himself and playing gruesome pranks, and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him, why? And the "message" (other than that it's okay to be selfish), is so annoying because who really needs a freaking movie to tell you that it's okay to be different and go out and do your own thing in life? This is the cinematic equivalent to On the Road: the only people who like it are teenagers or people who have the emotional maturity of one when they first see it.

Other nitpicks...

- Where was the Musicals category?
- Was it really necessary to show two of the most traumatic scenes (The Lion King and Bambi) in the history of film? I only watched Bambi once and I skip over that LK scene for a reason, AFI.
- Where was Philadelphia?
- Indiana Jones?
- Titanic was too low on its list
- War movies needed their own category
- Tearjerkers needed a category, too

Edited by wish liszt, Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:52 AM.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 6:22 AM

Sci-Fi/Fantasy really should have been together. And I wouldn't consider "It's a Wonderful Life" to be a fantasy movie.

I really felt that they had nothing to say about any of these movies. I know they've done this a thousand times before, but I think if they devoted more time/found a better critic than Maltin, there would have been some substance. But really, next years special should be "movies we haven't done before." It's a shame that it's only limited to American movies, as they only make up a small segment (though I really consider both "The Third Man" and "A Clockwork Orange" to be British, but whatever). I couldn't even watch for Netflix tips, because I've seen almost all of these. I also think musicals should have been added.

And: Hello, I'm Mod Suit and I love Harold and Maude.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 7:09 AM

Ugh... If Caddyshack = Sports Movie, where was Blazing Saddles in Westerns?

Yeah I was waiting for that one too, not to mention Silverado. I still can't believe The Searchers was the number 1. I would have thought that John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn would have been there and it didn't make the list either.

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 7:58 AM

I was disappointed that there was no category for musicals. I came in about an hour into the show and missed sci-fi. But at the recap I was disappointed that Star Wars was not #1. I guess I'm just a Star Wars baby, but does 2001 still hold up over the years? I also thought there should have been a separate War category. Gone With the Wind was not ranked high enough on the list. Even though I wasn't crazy about it, I was surprised that Dances with Wolves wasn't on the list. I was surprised The Matrix didn't make the Sci-Fi list. I'm addicted to these list shows regardless of how ridiculous the catergories get.