Ask The Mod: Do dead horses go to Heaven?

• Please log in to reply

527 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:32 AM

Aww that's very kind of you to say. I'm super grateful and lucky to have an awesome batch of active posters who are willing to meet me halfway.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 5:59 PM

On page 7 or 8 there's a "fashion" thread. Could that be reopened? I'd just wanted to talk some about the various clothes on the show over the years.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 9:41 PM

Sounds good to me. I'll request that it be un archived.

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2014 @ 8:10 AM

Hi Lockley,

I was wondering if we could get clarification on what we can/cannot post in the Spin-Off thread.

I know spoilers about the Supernatural episode where they get introduced can't be put there, but what about casting news or vague plot descriptions? I just thought people might want to discuss some of the chosen actors.

Should casting news be trimmed down to "Actor X will be playing a werewolf" or can we say that the actor will be playing the leader of th werewolf group?

Or is it simpler to just leave them all in spoilers?   :D

(Edited for typo :)

Edited by Austinthecat, Feb 21, 2014 @ 2:00 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 21, 2014 @ 8:35 PM

I think it depends on where your information is coming from.

Casting news and vague plot descriptions of the spinoff are fair game in the spinoff thread especially if they are coming about via some kind of a press release or official announcement from the network. That's technically not considered a spoiler by TWOP general standards. (When I comes to spoilers, I do often err on the side of caution though and try to preserve those things in the Spoiler No Discussion thread, just to protect people who don't want to know.)

But officially announced information on the cast and character descriptions of the spinoff are not spoilers, even though they may affect the plot of an upcoming Supernatural episode. Just keep everything in context. Generally, you shouldn't be talking about an unaired episode of Supernatural in the spinoff thread primarily because that's just not the topic at hand. I do realize this is a fine line because a lot of what these characters might have in store is related to how they are initially presented on Supernatural. And it makes it harder because we don't have a spoiler discussion thread for Supernatural. 

To use your example, if you're working with official announced info, I think it's perfectly fine to say in the spin-off thread:

"Actor X will be playing a werewolf and leader of a werewolf group," especially if that info is all officially corroborated somewhere that's not specifically labeled a "spoiler."

Clearly conversation about the actor and speculation about what his character might be will happen after that.

If however, you are referencing something that is specifically noted as a spoiler or coming from an off-the-book source, I am going to hesitantly say it's OK to talk about it in the spinoff thread using spoiler tags...but please don't turn that thread into a de facto SPN spoiler discussion thread. 

Does this make any sense? I'll keep a close eye on that thread and we'll see how it goes. 

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2014 @ 9:39 PM

Makes sense. Thanks!  :D

TWOP Lockley,

I'm sorry to ask another question, but I finally got around to posting what you said about the spoiler issue in the Spin off thread (added it to the initlal post) and I was wondering if maybe it should be tagged to always appear at the heading of each page to avoid any confusion. I know there isn't much discussion going on right now, but was thinking that after the intro episode for it, it may go up and onto other pages.

If you are ok with this being done, is it something that I can do or do you have to do it?

Edited by Austinthecat, Feb 25, 2014 @ 9:14 PM.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 3:58 PM

Not trying to be snarky, but I was wondering why this decision was made (from the Announcements and Administrivia thread):

3. From now on, please do not even link to first party promo stuff in the media thread.

It was instituted back in 2009, long before I became a TWOPer, so if it was because discussions were too heated, I understand why it's kept in the spoiler thread.  Just curious.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by DementedDaisy, Mar 7, 2014 @ 4:00 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 8, 2014 @ 10:28 PM

I actually don't mind links to this kind of stuff, so I would say if you find something cool that you think is worth sharing, share it. If it has negative fallout on a discussion front, I'll address that then. 

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2014 @ 11:48 PM

Thanks again!

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:10 AM

Your SHUTTING DOWN????

Sorry... Is there a "Wailing and Knashing of Teeth" thread??!??!!  Can we start one? 

To my beloved mods and recappers... NOOOOOOOOOOO... please leave us forwarding stuff so we can follow you elsewhere.

To my beloved fellow posters.... help?

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

I know what you mean. This is a great place to talk about Supernatural (and other shows). It's going to be strange being without it.

bethy

bethy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

What?!  WHAT?!?!?!?! 

I have no words.  I've been part of TWoP for over 10 years, and I'm not sure what it says about me that I feel like I'm going to have a huge hole in my life, but I DO!

I will miss the fabulous recaps and the - mostly :) - intelligent, thoughtful, respectful conversations about shows that I've loved.

Thanks so much.

P.S.  Will there be a support group forum offered anywhere?

Edited by bethy, Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:23 AM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

I literally just found this out this morning. So bummed. I first became a poster here in 2002, mostly to talk about all things Buffy. I will miss this place and all of you a lot.

Sad. 

lurea

lurea

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 2:52 PM

Words can't express how much I will miss Tippi's hilarious supernatural recaps.  I'm a lurker so didn't really contribute to the forums but I was here every week, after every show looking for her recaps.  Nearly every annoyance or twitchy problem that I had with the show, she brought up and made it funny...and by making it funny, made it bearable. I enjoyed Demain's recaps as well, but Tippi seemed to have a similar reaction to me and that commonality of experience just made hers more relatable.  The recent recap with the limericks was a perfect example.  Soooo sad....  Tippi, if you are going anywhere, please tell us!

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 5, 2014 @ 7:17 PM

You guys. I love you. I love this place and I will miss it all. I will be here until the lights go out and I still want to keep this a nice place to be. So please don't forget to follow the rules. Please don't forget to have a real dialogue and don't simply post your deepest disappointments over and over again in a tone that makes you sound like a whiny baby. Please don't talk about how the show "whitewashes" Sam or any character. If you're saying that, even if it's true, I promise you you've probably already said it a vast amount of times in myriad ways and frankly, we're all sick of it. Don't just vomit out your thoughts. Have some care for the KIND of conversation you want to instigate. Don't be babies. It's a TV show. Talk about it with intelligence and in ways that are interesting to everyone. If you're getting too wound up about how you personally feel Dean has been "treated" this season and over the years, I encourage you to step away from the computer for a minute, for an hour, or maybe even for long enough to get a hobby that will help you cope and give you some perspective so you can come back to us with something new to say.

Rules are still in effect. Banning is still happening. Feel free to take your leave of us early if none of this sits well with you. Otherwise, do better. 

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

I just wanted to express my gratitude to TWOP Lockley and Barnes for keeping this, at times rather "passionate" forum accessible and working. Otherwise, I would have given up on this "posting on the internet thing" a long time ago (yes, I am middle aged). TWOP was my first foray into interacting with strangers on message boards and overall, it was an interesting and rewarding experience, thanks to the TWOP moderators.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:01 PM

Hey, supposebly, I'm right there with you, as is my best friend, Barnes, who remembers you, and wants me to thank you for being an intelligent human on these boards.

She'd also like Castiel to restore her vision. She's just saying...

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 9:42 AM

Aw, now I'm blushing.....And thank you for your recaps. Your enthusiasm and excitement for the show and writing for it was obvious and provided a wonderful reading experience.