(READ ME FIRST): Announcements & Administrivia

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Spoiler thread closed. It's just becoming another place for the same old tired rants.

I'm going to dig through it and when it reopens it will be spoiler only again, no discussion.

And yes, you can infer this action as me deciding that some of you cannot be trusted with spoiler discussion.

Also Dean thread is locked because I will be going through and handing out bannings for some of you who just aren't getting the point about No Whining.

This does not mean you should take said whining to the All Seasons thread or anywhere else, unless you would enjoy getting banned of course.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

I've locked the speculation thread for a bit. I'm not kidding about no spoiler discussion and I don't want you to be tempted to simply frame it as "speculation."

There is no discussion of spoilers allowed anywhere in the Supernatural threads. Period. But especially in a thread titled "without spoilers."

If you are still asking yourself: "Well darnit, WHERE do I go here to talk about how I feel about these spoilers?" The answer is Nowhere. Nowhere here. You're free to take it to every other corner of the internet. Just not this one.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

Current episode thread is getting a time out while I weed out a few bad apples. Thanks a lot guys, really, there's no other way I'd rather spend my day. Really. 

Speculation thread is closed for the time being as well, to give us all a bit of breathing room after the final episode. 

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

A note on spoilers. Please remember that there is no spoiler discussion allowed in the Supernatural threads. At all. You may post spoilers in the Spoilers Only thread, but you may not discuss them there or in any other thread on TWOP. Consequently, if you are posting in Supernatural anywhere, there should be no need for you to ever use a spoiler tag. If you find yourself about to do just that, please reconsider what you are posting and where. 

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

I have been thinking a lot lately about the whole "poor Dean" (usually accompanied by some iteration of "Sam sucks") griping that goes on around here.

It's perfectly appropriate to want to come here and express your thoughts about your favorite and not-so-favorite television characters. It's kind of what we're all about.

It's just that somehow, in this forum, those "poor Dean" (a.k.a "Jensen deserves better") diatribes are far too frequent, and incredibly repetitive. There are a few people here who find a way to bring this sentiment into nearly every post about this show. Over, and over, and over again. I want everyone posting here to re-read the entire announcements thread for Supernatural and burn the moderator notes into your brains before the season begins.

I also want to pose another thought here. Let's say you are a huge Dean fan. Maybe you hate the way his character is written, especially in comparison to Sam. But maybe you also have mad respect for Jensen, because despite your problems with the way his character is written, you keep watching, you keep loving Dean and you keep posting here. That's some engaged fandom and that's totally cool.

I'm asking you to consider, if you love Dean and Jensen so much, to take that feeling and show even more respect for the man as an actor who has chosen to remain a part of this show despite what many might consider crappy storylines for his character. And as far as I know, he has never spoken out nastily or crankily or whined to fans or the media excessively about the characterization. By all accounts he is a class act.

I am asking you to emulate that, emulate him. Express what you need to express in relation to the appropriate topic thread that you are posting in, and then let the conversation flow and evolve. Do not keep coming back to rehash your tired old disappointments over and over. We've heard. It. All. Show some respect to the man who continues to show up for work every day and do his best for you, his fans.

Even more importantly for our purposes here, show some enlightenment, perspective and consideration for your fellow posters. Stop crying. Stop whining. Be better. Be smarter. Be more interesting than the material often allows. Jensen seems to be able to do it. You do it to.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:44 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 6:03 PM

Seems like a good time to remind people that the Brotherly Bonds subject is still off limits. I am going to be enforcing all of the rules set out in the following post from TWOP Barnes. The only difference is that the Brotherly Bonds thread will never be reopened and inviting or involving yourself in any discussion along that line in any other thread subjects you to immediate banning without prior warning.

2. I'm closing the Brotherly Bonds thread. 

I hope the above can be a temporary change. In my opinion, the Winchester family dynamics are one of the more interesting and compelling aspects of this show. But too many people misuse the thread and treat it like it's a place where they can prove for all time how the show and the other brother mistreats their favorite brother. It sucks and we don't want to read it. If that's your main reason for posting aboutSupernatural, you probably don't belong here, because there is a site-wide rule against repeating yourself.

Q: Where should members take their discussion of the dynamics of the relationship between the Brothers Winchester?

A:
 They should take it to the rest of the internet.

OR

They can use the episode threads to discuss specific events in specific episodes that give them specific event-related insight -- in into the relationship between Dean and Sam.

Q: When will the thread re-open?

A:
 When I've seen evidence, in all the other threads on the forum, that people understand this forum is not an arena for pissing contests between fans. If the conversation in the other threads goes well enough and I can re-open this thread, that will happen before I allow conversation and speculation in the Spoiler thread, again. In other words, "Brotherly Bonds" will be the proving ground that we've recovered sufficient Zen to discuss spoilers without turning into raving, repetitive lunatics.

3. Posts that are meant to show that the writers are being mean to either Sam or Dean will not be tolerated. 

Here's why: let's take MaryJane, who is a hardcore Dean fan. She spends her time talking about how wonderful the show makes Sam look, and how bad the show makes Dean look. Frankly, MaryJane? In addition to breaking the site rule that states people need to make their points and move on, your posts come across as both idiotic and insane and you're abusing the good will of the people who come here to discuss the show. 

What's even worse about your style/habits/obsession is that even you don't believe your premise. I mean, if the show truly made Sam look more wonderful than Dean -- as you are arguing ad nauseam -- then you wouldn't be a Dean fan. You would, in fact, think Dean was a one-note useless lout with no purpose, and you would find him boring. At best, you'd cop to the fact that Ackles is pretty and/or talented. The end.

Let's take MaryAnne, who is a hardcore Sam fan. She spends her time talking about how wonderful the show makes Dean look, and how bad the show makes Sam look. Frankly, MaryAnne? In addition to breaking the site rule that states people need to make their points and move on, your posts come across as both idiotic and insane and you're abusing the good will of the people who come here to discuss the show. 

What's even worse about your style/habits/obsession is that even you don't believe your premise. I mean, if the show truly made Dean look more wonderful than Sam -- as you are arguing ad nauseam -- then you wouldn't be a Sam fan. You would, in fact, think Sam was a one-note heartless lout, and you would find him boring. At best, you'd cop to the fact that Padalecki is pretty and/or talented. The end.

4. No more tit-for-tat posting. 

Q: So like, what?

A:
 Say MaryAnne comments in the Jared thread that Friday the 13th had the best opening box-office for a horror movie in yonks, and MaryJane swoops in and posts that Jensen's My Bloody Valentine is has raked in more money to date. Mary Jane is getting herself banned.

And say MaryJane comments in the Jensen thread that My Bloody Valentine has done well domestically and she's waiting to see how it does internationally, and MaryAnne swoops in and posts that Friday the 13thhad a better opening weekend. MaryAnne is getting herself banned.

5. I'm importing the next point from a post by Shotgun9 in the Mod thread (with some format changes -- for emphasis):

From now on, that's our Golden Rule, here. If you don't like it, please leave. You'll be happier and so will the people who come here to discuss the show, rather than wage some misguided fan campaign. If you feel the sort of dedication or urgency you feel about your job or family when you're inspired to post here then UR DOIN IT WRONG.

Please understand this announcement should be taken as a final warning. If you post contrary to any of the guidelines in this post, you may be subject to immediate banning, without a prior note or warning

Erin, who used to mod the Alias forums gave me a very good piece of advice back in the day that I think it would benefit posters (in general! I don't care what [fill in the blank] fan you are): 

Think twice, post once. 

Is my post going to violate a rule?

Do I really need to post this?

Is is going to add anything of value to the conversation?

Has someone already said it better than I? etc. 

It's so easy to do, and it really helps you look at your posts with a more critical eye. Because the problems that appear to be plaguing this forum are not individual problems -- they're a collective issue, and they can only be solved collectively.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Sep 11, 2013 @ 6:44 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

Just FYI if anyone was wondering....

This is the only place I have ever or will ever post about Supernatural. It is the only place I have any desire to talk about, think about or care about Supernatural. Reading what you all have to say and trying to uphold the rules of the site, is all the Supernatural I need (and then some).

And, this is the only place on the internet where I have ever and will ever go by TWOP Lockley. I've been a member of this site since 2002 under a different name and that's the one I also use elsewhere. But to be honest, I've rarely posted about television anywhere besides this site, and don't think I ever will. Too many assholes out there, too little time.

I love you guys. Please don't give me any more grey hairs this season. Thanks.