David Cook: You Had Me at "Hello"

• Please log in to reply

27693 replies to this topic

urbanblogger

urbanblogger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 7:25 AM

It's unfortunate to see how low David Cook's career has plummeted.  No record deal. He's in his 30's now and  longer really relevant in today's music scene. Unfortunately, he was never able to move beyond his glory days on the Idol stage.  He never recovered after the disaster his sophomore CD, which really exposed his weakness as a writer.  If he plays his cards right, maybe he can get a job opening for someone one like Phillip Phillips - who's just killing it with his post Idol career.  Maybe Cook can even get Phillip to write a song for him.  I love what Phillip has done with Raging Fire, which outsold Cook's The Last Goodbye by over 3 times with first week sales.

Iniziare

Iniziare

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:21 PM

Well, in view of the news, I dug up an old password for some Time Travel… and that was FUN!

The Rabbit Hole that is this thread took 303 pages just to get to the Finale, with over 600 more to go - and looking at threads for more recent seasons makes the problem clear - but TWoP Archives will be missed. I hope they surface again someday, that's a lot of history. And I also have to say 'thanks for all the fish' since 2008 - because this was Good Times, once.

In DC news, I'll keep it recent; he is as happy as any of the fans have ever seen him. He came in off of a 47 date Club Tour on January 14th that started in Sept 2013, which previewed a lot of his new music, and started working on Album 4, which he is self-producing. 

Latest interview yesterday: "We're tracking it right now, and we're getting ready to finish up guitars and move into synth and vocals and then hopefully we'll be done...When I say it out loud, it sounds a little far fetched." The talk of some sort of distribution deal with a label hasn't been confirmed - but anyone can tell he's loving the autonomy! The most recent news is playing a gig tonight with Kris Allen - The Soles4Souls/Barefoot Wine charity at the Bridge Building in Nashville. Both those guys are philanthropical - the show was by invitation - and it filled up before the New Year, between their fans and interested citizens for "Two "American Idol" favorites giving back!". I'm hanging out on line, waiting for the live stream on this.

The long term career plan that included doing some writing for other artists is still moving along well, the co-write David worked on last year with Jay Knowles and Trent Summar, the fourth of David's songs to be sold to other artists, is now David Nail's second single. "Kiss You Tonight", and is doing very nicely, rising on the charts as well as the platinum debut single did before it. The reviews of the song often mention the writers in a complimentary way - and when David was invited by Bob DiPiero to participate in his Songwriters Event in Niagara Falls on March 8th,"Kiss You Tonight" was one of the 5 songs that he wrote that were sung w/just an acoustic guitar that evening in the Grand Hall.

In this economy, diverse Revenue Streams are any artist's friend - and three of the four singers to use DC's material so far are Grammy award winners or nominees; "one was a Latin artist, one a Rocker, one Country, and one Alternative... So, he's got a foot hold in a lot of genres." and he tells us in the pre-show press interview for tonight's show, when talking about the D.Nail single, that he's "got a couple other ones in the pipeline" that he's not sure he can talk about yet.

So that's something to follow while waiting for Album #4 to drop - ought not to be long now - but *soon* has become a cuss word…Heh. We only know of six of the new songs from the last few months  - so while people already have their favorites, the anticipation is high to hear the rest of the new music. And now The "Hello" thread is up-to-date with the pertinent facts…if it has to disappear into a vault somewhere - it doesn't feel like unfinished business, even if I don't get back before the curtain comes down. It's been real ~ Incipit/Iniziare

Edited by Iniziare, Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:40 PM.

anne uk

anne uk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2014 @ 5:55 PM

Thanks for the update, Iniziare. This thread definitely was fun back in the day - I used to come here almost daily for my Cook fix. Now I drop in occasionally, hungry for news. It will be a damn shame if someone doesn't find a way to preserve the TWoP forums - it's good that the recaps are now to be saved for posterity but there's just as much good writing and pop culture history to be found here too.

loveoutloud

loveoutloud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 12:35 PM

For all fans of David, tonight is the night to tune into American Idol. He's mentoring the Top 8!

http://www.davidcook...s-american-idol

I literally cannot wait. He's my favorite Idol, and it will be wonderful seeing him back on my TV screen. I think there's a lot that he can teach this season's contestants.