David Cook: You Had Me at "Hello"

• Please log in to reply

27693 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Feb 14, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

The only Omaha auditioneer to make it to the Top 24, only he's from Tulsa, because nobody from Nebraska actually auditioned on the Omaha episode, but his hair is from ... a suburb of Seattle. Which is the saddest part, really.

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

The jury's still out on him for me. I like his voice, but I'm not sold on his personality yet. I get the feeling he might not have much of a sense of humor. We'll see I guess....He also seems to have glammed up a little since his first audition. Eyeliner or something.

armadillo228

armadillo228

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

I get the feeling he might not have much of a sense of humor.

If it helps, his AI official bio is pretty self-deprecatingly funny.

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2008 @ 12:01 AM

his AI official bio is pretty self-deprecatingly funny.

The answers were pretty amusing (especially his "other talents"), but I have to admit I cringed at the Mandy Moore thing. For all I know, he could come up with female artists whose music he genuinely admires, but man, I can't help feeling like that answer from one of the "rockers" tells you a lot about why women are still so marginalized in the music industry. I'm far from being the PC-police when it comes to jokes, but this one hit a real sore spot for me.

That said, though I think the guys are a pretty sorry lot this season and I want to hate all the fauckers on principle, David might not be terrible. I'm at least interested in seeing his performance this week.

monef

monef

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

Hmmm, on the fence. I enjoy his voice when he is singing, but as soon as he stops, I promptly forget him.

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2008 @ 3:26 AM

Another generic voice. There are a million of his "rock" sounds on the radio. I also did not care for Ryan's big pep talk where he said wow, Simon didn't like Daughtry at first, so that means David must be wonderful. That's quite a bit of heavy pimping for someone who brings so little to the table.

Illumestitch

Illumestitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2008 @ 3:33 AM

This guy is totally cannon fodder. I think he may make it to the last cut and be a "shocking" elimination just prior to the Top 12.

Choo Choo

Choo Choo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2008 @ 3:50 AM

That's quite a bit of heavy pimping for someone who brings so little to the table.

Well, for what it's worth, I think he has a better voice than the monstrously overrated Chris Daughtry

jamiecinti

jamiecinti

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2008 @ 1:34 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I think he has a better voice than the monstrously overrated Chris Daughtry

This is true but he seams like such a douche huh wait a minute so does Daughterly. This guy rubs me the wrong way dot understand how he made it through.

pipkin

pipkin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

I was prepared to be thoroughly Meh about this guy and his too-trendy hair. And he looks kinda like Jimmy Fallon, which doesn't help him much in my book (I keep expecting him to break out laughing in the middle of the [s]skit[/s] song).

But - wow! I loved it! One of my two favorites tonight, with Danny. He achieved the AI holy grail - he made the song his own. He took what can be a totally cheesy song and made it sound *almost* (not quite) like something you could hear on the radio today. (I think to do it totally, it'd have to be unrecognizable.)

The mike stand antics were a bit over the top, but overall, great performance!

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

It was pretty good but I honestly don't see him making it that far. Probably not further than Top 10 or so.

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

I completely forgot about him until the recap at the end. To me, he seemed to not know what to do with the song. He went with the original, then with his own version, which seemed to consist of slurring the words, going fast, and yelling.

dannymoon

dannymoon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

It was odd but I ended up really enjoying it anyway. The phrasing worked for me but yea, he was shouting too much.

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

Aw, I absolutely loved his performance. It was totally THE standout for me, with the second one way far behind. I just thought he was awesome. I love that song, and he made it seem fresh and new and funky.

I went to youtube and watched the Turtles about three times, just to keep the "Happy Together" going. Although I did think David needed to enunciate a little better. It kept sounding like, "I CAN see you loving blahbody else" and "Ahhh-ee together."

germwarfare

germwarfare

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

I really liked his performance, but somehow it brought to mind both the Con man (shudder) and Jack Black!

linebackrlounge

linebackrlounge

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

I really liked his performance, but somehow it brought to mind both the Con man (shudder)

Thank god I'm not the only one. YUCK.

VeniVidiVici

VeniVidiVici

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

I think it might have been the theme they forced on him but his voice was really monotonous and he was definitely shouting rather than singing. The hair is just a sad attempt at a combover.

I think I hate him.

winkananod

winkananod

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:32 PM

Blooddy awful!! Flat, flat, pitchy and flat again.

breadlady

breadlady

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

I guess he sounded OK but I was totally distracted because I thought he looked just like the dad on "You Can't Do That on Television"!

monef

monef

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

When I closed my eyes, I quite enjoyed it. It was definitely original/interesting, he needs a makeover though. Stat.

Illumestitch

Illumestitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 12:20 AM

I get a really smug, holier-than-thou vibe from him and as a result I can't stand him. A choir of angels could descend and sing backup and I STILL wouldn't be impressed.

baby pickles

baby pickles

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

He looks weird to me. Like the skin on his face is pulled too tight from too many peels or too much Sea Breeze.And it looks like he wears concealer under his eyes. He makes me uncomfortable.

MisMichie

MisMichie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 1:29 AM

He kept swinging around his mic stand while singing.... I was wondering whose head it was going to whack first: His? Ryan's? And audience fangirl?. That would have made the night more interesting.

Aside from the distracting mic stand (did noone notice? How could the judges miss it?), he did have quite good energy. I agree with the above poster who said he resembled Jack Black; Like a non-insane School of Rock Jack Black performance.

like a locket

like a locket

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

I'm bummed that so many people didn't like him - I absolutely loved him tonight! Other than Castro, he was my favorite. Plus, I recently met someone who knows him (coincidentally - I'm not stalking him) and I found out he's a Butch Walker fan, which wins him like 60000 bonus points with me.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 7:36 AM

His hair is distracting. I think if he buzzed or shaved his head, I'd perceive him in a whole new (and likely better) light.

TheFinalRose

TheFinalRose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 9:52 AM

If he makes it to the top 12 he'll definitely benefit from the Idol makeover. First up a shave. My husband thought he looked a little like a pig, with his pig stubble. I like David's voice a lot though.

slysangel

slysangel

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 1:07 PM

While I did not dislike his voice, I found him unwatchable after he tried to smugly smirk sexily at me through the camera. Total grossout. If he ever does that smarmy crap again, I'll hate him. And he does resemble Jack Black. Heh.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 10:48 PM

Did anyone else notice David was the only one not clapping tonight? He looked like he was just staring out into space. I'm getting a "too cool to be here" vibe from him.

Pieceofmind

Pieceofmind

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 12:37 AM

Did anyone else notice David was the only one not clapping tonight? He looked like he was just staring out into space. I'm getting a "too cool to be here" vibe from him.

I was just coming here to post about his ::bitchface:: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 12:53 AM

I noticed that too. But....I would guess that at least some of the men are sick as well. Don't they all live together? So this one time , I'll assume he's as ill as several of the girls seemed to be. But yeah, it could very well be he's just a dick.