Beauty and the Beast: The First Time I Loved Forever

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

105 replies to this topic

Moya the Leviathan

Moya the Leviathan

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

The CW would be a good home for this sort of show.. but I'm still somewhat mystified as to how they'll manage it.

Well, for one, Catherine and Vincent will have sex.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

They'll have sex and hopefully they won't get her pregnant and kill her off. I mean, that would be my tip to the writers/producers. It's a small thing they may not think of on their own. [/sarcasm]

I'm tentatively hopeful. I loved this show the first season and most of the second season and I'd love them to be able to remake it and do it justice. They have tough shoes to fill in Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.

firemountain9

firemountain9

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

Wait... what??!! I saw the EW.com article the other day about the ABC re-imagining project and, for just a second, the thought crossed my mind that they were talking about remaking the CBS show, but then I thought, nahh.. And then, bam... the CW IS remaking the actual CBS show??!! I'm gobsmacked.

And I'm even more intrigued that Paul Witt, Tony Thomas, and Ron Koslow appear to be involved. Or are they only "involved" in the way the Kuzuis were "involved" in BTVS?

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

I agree that I don't understand how this show can work with modern tech. Unless they make Paschal (or Mouse) an expert hacker with access to an extremely fast internet connection Below so he can do damage control every time some traffic/security camera catches Vincent smashing through walls to save Catherine (or someone catches him on their cell phone and posts it on YouTube).

Edited by PhantomChic, Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:22 PM.

Cyranetta

Cyranetta

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

Somehow I think that they'll find the original concept of the underground civilization inconveniently 60s flower-child and will morph it into an underground version of Rent with stolen wi-fi.

I kind of dread the re-imagined Vincent and Catherine.

xyzzy

xyzzy

Video Archivist

• Interests:Painting, knitting, writing...<br />Battlestar Galactica, Carnivale, Rome, Six Feet Under, Deep Space 9, Firefly, Angel, Deadwood, Ugly Betty, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

I'd be somewhat surprised if new Vincent & Catherine are in their 30s in this incarnation, though I suppose it's not totally out of the CWs wheelhouse--Supernatural has an adult cast, and The Vampire Diaries is split about half and half, etc. And maybe instead of the leonine makeup they'll do something more like the cursed kid from that ridiculously bad adaptation of Beastly.

I kind of dread the re-imagined Vincent and Catherine.

I don't dread it...yet. I'd rather have a tv re-imagining than a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp production, a la Dark Shadows. *shudder* I choose to be optimistic, at least for now.

stuntdog

stuntdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

The CW? No! Now, AMC would be a good place for this. My only hope is that having the original creators involved may elevate the project from CW's usual lowly standards.

To be fair the ABC version actually sounds worse.

Edited by stuntdog, Sep 17, 2011 @ 10:45 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:54 AM

To be fair the ABC version actually sounds worse.

Oh my, those were the worst DVDs my mom ever made me watch!

It was on and on and on and on about poetry and feelings and then Vincent would do "some nasty violence" that was basically laughable compared to what you see in TV today. I get the 80s were somewhat innocent and all that, but I don't know how these two were able to conceive a child, they didn't even kiss in the whole season I had to watch.

With all due respect, the CW can't make a show without some childish Austen Powers's sex scene every two minutes, this is not their cup of tea IMO.

Edited by agora, Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:55 AM.

SinglePayer

SinglePayer

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 12:38 AM

Mixed feelings on this and very apprehensive about casting. The CW seems to be tween focused and a show about "mature" love is not going to interest their Bieber crowd. The tweens want 15 year olds who look 25 with ridiculous amounts of lip gloss and eyeliner and tight, short skirts. The show I fell in love with would have had a "hooker" character with gawdy makeup and sexy clothes as someone C & V would have to save, it would not be our beloved Catherine.

We'll have to wait and see - that is if it even makes it as far as actually airing. They could shoot a pilot, the suits may not like it and then we'll never see it.

If Witt, Thomas and Koslow are involved there may be hope. As someone posted above, a more adult version of this would be better suited to AMC or even HBO or Showtime.

stuntdog

stuntdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

An earlier post said that Koslow was involved. According to this article he doesn't appear to be.

Edited by stuntdog, Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:06 PM.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I will definitely not be watching the remake since they've cast Kristin Kreuk as Catherine (assuming they don't rename her). I got enough of her "acting" on Smallville before Lana Lang drove me away from it in the 4th season.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

All interest that I may have had in this project completely went out the window with news of this casting.

miracole

miracole

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I will definitely not be watching the remake since they've cast Kristin Kreuk as Catherine (assuming they don't rename her)

I was like "oh cool, a new Beauty and the Beast. I watched the old one I'll tune in to see this one." And then I saw who'd be playing the chick, Nevermind.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Fifth-ed that I won't be watching with this casting. The TVD cast is mostly really good, which helps when everything else is awful, but I haven't watched Smallville and still got enough proof of Kristin Kreuk's "acting" non-skills so I have flashbacks of that one ep of The Secret Circle I managed to plow through. Just no.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

There is no way she'd be as awesome as Linda Hamilton.

wonder1859

wonder1859

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Geeze oh man, I've been hanging around TWOP for years and just now discovered this thread! Where have I been?

Am I the only All Season/3 Season fan here, or just the only one willing to step up and admit it? I watched the show from the original airing of the pilot all the way to the end of the 56th episode and I cherish each and every one. While most folks were made fans by the romance between V & C, it was Vincent and the tunnel community that got me hooked and I've remained a fan for going on 25 years. I'm a writer and a voracious reader and Vincent is a perfect example of my favorite fictional archetype: the deeply flawed hero with all the odds stacked against him who still manages to live his life with dignity and honor. And while the romance between V & C was interesting as a vehicle for growth and expansion of V's character, I also viewed it as a tragedy. There was no way, in my mind anyway, that their story could ever end in happily-ever-after.

I shed more than a few tears over Catherine's death but I was stoked about what the future held for Vincent. I spent all of 3S on the edge of my seat, absolutely mesmerized by the story arc of the first 12 hours (though only 11 of them were aired the first time around) and the quality of the acting and direction of that story. Vincent's character underwent enormous growth in such a short time, and I was thrilled to witness it. I loved the introduction of Diana Bennett and seeing the potential of a mature, equitable, loving relationship blossoming between the two - much more so than what I ever saw in the relationship V had with C. I thought (and still do) that Diana was a much better match for him and would've continued to challenge him and force him to grow in ways C never could have.

Yeah, watching the episodes now, I concede there was a pretty high cheese factor in some of them, but the series as a whole holds up surprisingly well. There are still moments with certain characters when I'd like to reach through the screen and slap them silly, but put me down in the tunnels and I'm a happy camper.

As far as CW's remake goes, Koslow and Witt-Thomas may be heading it up, it may share the names of the lead characters, but from everything I've seen and read it won't be my B&B this time around. I'll pass on the remake, thank you very much, and stick to my DVDs. The original was like catching lightning in a bottle and they'll never be able to recreate that kind of magic. I'd rather they not even try. I'll leave you with GRRM's words when he found out about the reboot, which summed up my feelings when I heard about it and which, by all accounts, won't factor into the remake at all:

I hope they've seen the original series. I hope they love it as much as we do. I hope they keep the fantasy, the whole tunnel world, not just the Beast. I hope they keep Father and Mouse and Jamie and Pascal and all the other characters we peopled the tunnels with. And I hope they keep the poetry: the sonnets, the readings from Shelley and Keats and Kipling, the deep love of books and words and literature that was so much a part of Vincent.