Being Human: Just a Regular Spooky Flatshare (UK)

• Please log in to reply

2468 replies to this topic

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

American here: BBCA just ran the finale. I have to be honest--once the "savior of the world" storyline began, I stopped watching. The show's charm was in three "monsters" trying to be human.

I watched the entire season, but I most certainly didn't enjoy it like I used to. I hate when shows add babies or children, & I think it derailed the entire storyline. I didn't get any of the friendship the show used to have.

I know this show isn't really meant for me (also an American), but I can't understand half of what Tom says, & now I can't understand Alex either so I don't even know what's going on a lot of the time.

I'm worried about next season, now all of a sudden there's a strange clean up crew that we've never heard about before? Didn't they already do that plot on Charmed? I'm betting it's not going to work any better on Being Human, & I forsee another boring plotline.

In addition, it pisses me off that they never gave a resonable explanation for why Eve had to die. They came up with a stupid plot, added a kid, & didn't even tell us why. Just that Annie is the savior of the world & now she gets her door. Of course the baby was waiting on the other side of it. Does this mean that Annie has to spend eternity changing nappies now? Or do babies not poop in heaven? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:16 AM.

Fauxliage

Fauxliage

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

My only disappointment was that the actors who played Nina, George, and Aiden didn't return for the end. It would have taken a moment on screen to see them all reunited. Heck, George Clooney returned to ER for a minute when Julianna Margolies left the show. Seeing the old gang would have made me happy.

EW posted an interview with Toby Whithouse and that point came up:
http://insidetv.ew.c...eason-4-finale/

When Eve told Annie that George and Nina were waiting for her on the other side of her door, I was totally hoping to see them reunite.
Again, we wouldn’t have been able to afford it. That single scene would’ve probably cost us one hundred grand. And I think it’s best left up to the audience’s imagination. That story finished then. We’re moving on now. I didn’t want the audience to be distracted at the last minute by a quick scene of characters past.

--

Everything always seemed so low budget with the other side that it seems hard to fathom it would cost that much, but hey, I don't exactly have a clue about the costs of such things. A little sad though that getting to revisit the past is basically just a distraction.

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

HappyHumanist,
Just wondering, does watching the finale make you want to go back and watch the whole season?

Nope. I did watch the ep before the last On Demand in anticipation of the finale, but won't watch the rest (I did see the first two when they came out).

The cast was fine. It was the storyline I didn't like. And let me second Ginandtonic's problem with Tom. Although I am an American, I love all things British. I grew up watching Upstairs Downstairs and lots and lots of other British programs. It's not Tom's accent. He mumbles. I can't really connect with a character I can't understand.

This was a good ending for me. Even if there is a Season 5, I won't be watching.

Thanks for the link, Fauxliage ! Our posts crossed and I didn't see it before I posted. And I agree. Distraction? 5 seconds of a gauzy and light-bathed scene of George, Nina, and Mitchell smiling at Annie? Nah.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I was not expecting to like this season with all the new actors. Nevertheless I started watching and was thoroughly enjoying it until the finale. I was enjoying the humor with OCD Hal and dumber than dirt Tom. I even liked the addition of Alex and did not realize until reading a post here that she was to be Annie's replacement. I didn't like the finale because all of that humor was gone for the most part. We were back to the tone of the Mitchell and George episodes which I loved at the time. But I thought it was smart to try and change the tone with the new actors. But now that we've essentially gone back to the beginning I am guessing the tone will as well. Which I will not enjoy as much. I think I will end up comparing it to the Mitchell and George episodes.

I also have a hard time understanding Tom and wish the subtitles worked on my tv but they don't. I still manage to get the gist and really like him. I like him better than George who could get too shrill for me.

I loved Annie and will miss her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

It's funny with people talking about the difficulties in understanding what Tom says when you consider he says that he doesn't understand half of what Hal actually says.

I did a rewatch of the finale and now I really, really am convinced that Mr Snow was Hal's maker, so I want a flashback next series that shows us how/when Hal was made.

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

Well I have to say I'm really glad that war child crap is over. Horrible storyline, huge jumping the shark moment.

That said, it's remarkable that despite the stupid plot they managed to establish three new characters that I really enjoy and want to continue to watch. I love Hal, Alex and even mumbly Tom (with subtitles). I can't wait to see that set of relationships grow. I think the show UN-jumped.

This show and the US version seem to have the same issue- they founder whenever the focus becomes about the conditions instead of the characters. I do not care about vamps, I cared about Mitchell and Hal and (in the US) Aidan. Every time the plot becomes paramount (mitchell being the leader of the coven was the first and arguably the worst) it's a total fail for me as a viewer. None of the vampire war stories ever work! They are boring, cliched, and do not make use of the characters and the amazing relationships. Please show(s) I am begging you to let it go. The ghost world Storylines are much better, probably because they are generally more original. I am looking forward to Alex finding her way there. They have even made the wolf stories good through adding quirky characters like Allison, and the enigmatic Milo.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

I tried the US one, could not stick it.

UK one wipes the floor with it in every way IMO.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Everything always seemed so low budget with the other side that it seems hard to fathom it would cost that much, but hey, I don't exactly have a clue about the costs of such things. A little sad though that getting to revisit the past is basically just a distraction.

When he says it would have cost a hundred grad, maybe he is referring to what he would have had to pay collectively in terms of salary to get those actors back for a guest appearance. Like 50 grand each or something. I have no idea how much famous Brit tv actors get paid an episode but I do know it can cost that much or more for certain American actors. Charlie Sheen used to make well over that per episode of his shitty show. And the Desperate Housewives make about $350,000 per episode of their show. Being Human is already operating on a low budget as it is. Whithouse may have thought it might not have been worth it financially to pay his current three main actors plus his previous cast just to have them back for a few minutes of screentime and remind the fans of the old guard that he is trying to move away from.

Edited by Turkish, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

Calchal

Calchal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

In terms of budget, if they were on a tight schedule for the finale, and an extra set up (a shot of George and Nina), may have stretched the shoot out into another day. Thus they'd be paying not only for George and Nina, but the crew etc. Where as the way it was done, perhaps allowed them to pack more in.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

In terms of budget, if they were on a tight schedule for the finale, and an extra set up (a shot of George and Nina), may have stretched the shoot out into another day. Thus they'd be paying not only for George and Nina, but the crew etc. Where as the way it was done, perhaps allowed them to pack more in.

I would have thought they could have used a shot of George & Nina standing near each other from another episode & just CGIed them into a quick picture of the other side pretty cheaply. The actors wouldn't have had to come back at all.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I just saw the finale and went into it completely unspoiled, so I didn't know they were writing Annie out of the story. I guess I'm a bit slow in that I only worked it out at the end that Alex was meant to be her replacement. I'll miss her but it was interesting how that turned out to be her unfinished business which had to happen eventually I suppose.

I wasn't expecting to like this fourth series because of the whole vampire war child myth arc thing and the similarities to series three with the self-fulfilling prophecy of doom but in the end I'm glad I pushed on through because as always with this show it's the characters and the clever writing that suck me in. I loved Cutler and Hal, Tom and Alex and now I'm looking forward to series five. However, as glad as I am that they appear to be done with the vampires taking over the world plots for now, I was a bit let down with this new big bad Rook. The whole shadow quasi-governmental group covering up the truth just smacked of X-Files to me, to the point where I thought it was a deliberate nod when they showed the file room with the boxes of evidence. All I could think of was the cigarette smoking man and that big file room at the Pentagon. Just substitute aliens for vampires and you're there. I'm still hoping for an original potential story conflict.

Shprintze

Shprintze

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

I felt like this season did cover a lot of ground. After all, they not only completely replaced the original cast, they had to get us to accept the new main characters and I thought they did that pretty smoothly. I would have liked Culter aka Mini David Thewlis to stick around because I don't know what his true motives were. Acceptance? Revenge? I love Alex and look forward to a more proactive ghost. Do not have the words for what Hal is doing to to me ... He's my own private succubus. Have to say, wish he and Cutler would have kissed.

HATED the Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse ending. Don't care about those dudes at all. I'd rather watch a season of Hal shirtless strapped in the sexy chair trying to seduce his way out.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

When Annie came into the warehouse, it looked like someone hustled one of the Originals (looked like young girl) off her mark and away. I didn't see her come back to her mark when the others did while Annie was talking to Snow. So are she and Hal the only Originals left? It just seemed like such an odd movement, that I feel like it was supposed to be significant while being careful not to show the girl's face (because they haven't cast an actress yet).

And I agree with Ginandtonic about being reminded of the Cleaners from Charmed. Except at least they had magic. These seem like a cross between the Cleaners and Torchwood.

electricfish

electricfish

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

It was disturbing to me that they all arrived at the final confrontation for their own reasons, and with different goals, there was no teamwork. Hal wanted to blow all the vampires up and free himself, Tom delivered the baby to them to protect her, Annie just wanted her baby back, and Alex was along for the ride. Ultimately kind of random and unsatisfying, even though it worked out (as much a baby killing plotline could be said to "work out").

Still, I'm looking forward to next year.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

American here: BBCA just ran the finale. I have to be honest--once the "savior of the world" storyline began, I stopped watching. The show's charm was in three "monsters" trying to be human. But I had to tune in to the finale. My only disappointment was that the actors who played Nina, George, and Aiden didn't return for the end. It would have taken a moment on screen to see them all reunited. Heck, George Clooney returned to ER for a minute when Julianna Margolies left the show. Seeing the old gang would have made me happy.

I'm also American, I loved the finale because I think the show backed itself in a corner with the baby storyline. To me, a show jumps the shark when they introduce a baby because then the show becomes about the baby. The finale cleaned all that up, it gave Annie an ending, got rid of the baby and as for the clean up crew; that made sense because I was wondering what was going to happen to all those videos of Tom changing. I like the new cast, it's like watching a brand new show. But as an American, I do used closed captioning when watching, heck I use closed captioning watching most shows on TV.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Recent interview with Damien Molony he said that Series 5 begins filming in July and there's a nice, non-spoilery interview with him here. A couple of things I'd like to see next series ....

- An episode dealing with Alex's father and brothers. She's a missing person and they kind of have to deal with that.
- Allison to return. I like her and Tom as a couple.
- More on Milo. Loved him, fascinatingly ambiguous as well.
- The Domestic staff to be decent villains and not a redux of Lucy/Kemp.
- Hal flashbacks to his time with Leo/Pearl and also with Mr Snow.
- Fun moments with Hal, Tom and Alex.

Edited by darkestboy, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:30 AM.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Speaking of Kemp: His actor, Donald Sumpter, is currently playing the warm, kind, wise Maester Luwin in "Game of Thrones"--possibly the only warm, kind, wise person in the entire continent of Westeros. I bet it's a relief after Kemp and the other characters I've seen him play.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Well, I have to admit I was surprised they BLEW UP THE BABY. And even though I was disappointed not to see George, Nina and Mitchell (yes, I think he was there too) I can understand that this is a TV show and real life factors into what we can and can’t see on the screen. Annie’s huge smile told me all I need to know.

I was sad that George died so early. I had glimpsed that he was going to be leaving but I never imagined it was going to be in the first episode. However once he was gone, I didn’t miss him. I love Tom and I’m looking forward to seeing him mature.

And then there’s Hal. Well, I love him too, more than I did Mitchell, who just was so grubby.

Though I will miss Annie, I like Alex. She’s a good fit for Hal and Tom. They both need someone with a little more backbone than Annie. Her personality is more assertive than Annie's ever was in life and she’s already a stronger ghost. She’ll whip those boys into shape in no time.

I’m happy there’s going to be more stories with these new characters.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

I was surprised they blew up Eve but I knew that she wasn't going to make it into next series, so I guess they had no choice.

Tessier

Tessier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

After rewatching series 4, I feel even more strongly that the first 4 episodes did Annie's character a disservice. Presumably the writers wanted her to look weak so that her last few episodes would be all the more powerful by contrast, but that didn't work for me. The charade of her ceremony in episode 2 to heal Leo was especially cruel and vain, and not at all funny, as I presume was the intention. She's slowwitted, clueless, and seemingly no longer aware of the ghost powers that she's already exhibited in past series. She's entirely taken in by Kirby's transparently smarmy flattery. Her speech to Hal and Tom at the end of episode 2 as they are about to kill each other is one small ray of sanity amid her otherwise offputting behavior. The way her character is written in the latter half of the this series, however, makes up for all the deficiencies of the first half. And Lorena Crichlow has never looked more beautiful onscreen.

I am glad that our "new" ghost Alex is not the shrinking violet that Annie was in series 1 and that the ghost learning curve is going so quickly for her--already able to transport, move objects, fend off attacks, and seemingly able to go anywhere she wants. Annie couldn't even recall how she died, but Alex remembers everything. Even though her murder was more prolonged and ghoulish than Annie's, she's not overly traumatized by it, as Hal observes. I hasten to say that I loved Annie in series 1. But am looking forward to seeing what a powerful ghost with Alex's sense of self-confidence, intelligence, and empathy can do. I think she and Hal and Tom are going to make a great supernatural trio in the next series, assuming the writers can find a way to show us character development from this point on, without first doubling back to contrived character assassination as they did with Annie.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

I know Annie had her faults but I still loved her to bits but it's nice that Alex is more assertive though. I still believe that we need to see her father and brothers thought in at least one episode next series.

Oh and Nina (aka Sinead Keenan) is now playing an actress called Nora on Lip Service. Sort of funny considering her equivalent in the US BH is called Nora and now she's playing a Nora.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Did anyone get Series 4 on DVD? I did a whole rewatch and I still can't find an episode I actually dislike though my favourites still seem to A Spectre Calls, Making History and The War Child.

The extras are good too, especially the deleted scenes with Damien Molony doing more press ups and getting egged on by the crew. Not topless though.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Production for Series 5 has begun, some details here

And just when I finished rewatching Series 4 on DVD.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I finally watched the second half of season four over the past couple of days & read about the entire season. So much has been covered, so I'll go for shallow.

I loved Allison - she was adorable, and a very unique character. Alex on the other hand, I was convinced was Rachel McAdams doing an awesome Scottish accent. It took until the middle of her second episode for me to finally realize it wasn't RM.

The way her character is written in the latter half of the this series, however, makes up for all the deficiencies of the first half. And Lorena Crichlow has never looked more beautiful onscreen.

I agree with this for her final scenes, but in her big juicy scene early in the season finale, she had a massive breakout on her left cheek. I couldn't believe it, partially because ghosts don't get breakouts. It shows the difference between a US & UK production. I can't imagine the leading lady of a US program doing a major scene like that with that zit. They tried covering it up, but it wasn't such a good job. It probably didn't help that she had to cry in that scene and the tear kept hitting the zit.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

Is anyone currently rewatching the first series on Watch? I caught the episode again with Gilbert and I noticed that Nina had very long hair back in the first series.

As for Series 4, doing the DVD rewatch has made me love the season more and more. I cannot wait to see where they go with the show in Series 5.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

You must've not watched much American TV recently. One of the big changes in the last decade has been main characters being killed off.

I believe you're thinking about American CABLE television. This is a network show in UK, though. Even within a minor network like The CW, they wouldn't kill off Supernatural's Sam and Dean to continue the show with a different couple of hunters, despite the premise perfectly allowing for that.

Lost, CSI Miami and Ghost Whisperer were network shows that did kill off main characters.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Lost, CSI Miami and Ghost Whisperer were network shows that did kill off main characters.

Lost was an ensemble show with dozens of main cast characters. CSI Miami had a reasonably sized cast and could also afford to kill off a few characters.
Killing off main characters is easy when you have a large cast. Supernatural has two main characters, not enough to get away with killing off either when there's a reasonable chance that it would lose them 1/3 to maybe 1/2 their fanbase.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

Apart from Lost, I do not watch any of those shows because I don't like them, simply put.

Losing so many characters could've killed this show stone dead but look how well both Tom and Hal fit in the show and Alex will too in Series 5.

Oh and I found this from the BH Twitter page ...

@bbcbeinghuman

Rumour has it, there's a very very very special guest star in Season 5. #couldbearumour #beinghuman

Edited by darkestboy, Jun 13, 2012 @ 8:47 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

Doing a look at all the dynamics on this show and the "heart" of each group seems to be/will be ...

Mitchell/George/Nina/Annie - Annie
Hal/Leo/Pearl - Leo
Annie/Tom/Hal/Eve - Eve or Tom
Tom/Hal/Alex - Tom

Also Series 5 is due to start filming towards the end of the month, so I wonder if that means we'll find out who that guest star is around then.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

I just really want to see Hal again, for the most shallow of reasons...