Being Human: Just a Regular Spooky Flatshare (UK)

• Please log in to reply

2468 replies to this topic

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 1:35 AM

I'm delighted there will be more. I just hope all the cast are on board.

MizStaken

MizStaken

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 4:55 AM

I was wondering about that too Nuallain. Makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get all 3 main actors from the pilot. I would so love to see that as they were what really sold the show to me. I guess I would still watch it were they played by other people, just wouldn't be the same though.

Russell Tovey is adorable, praying he comes back.

The guy playing Mitchell (isn't his name Guy?) well he kind of reminds me as being the male equivalant of Shane on the L Word. I just have the desire to feed cheesecake to the both of them.

Still trying to figure out if there are any other "monsters" out there that they could incorporate. Frankenstein maybe?

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

Yay! Most excellent news.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

Awesome. Looking forward to this show's return.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 4:52 PM

I am glad this got commissioned, but I read that there may be scheduling problems with the original cast. Let's hope they can get them back - as the main actors were a big part of the pilot's charm for me.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

Yeah, the interaction between Guy Flanagan and Russell Tovey made the show for me. I suppose the premise is intruguing on its own, but I'd hate to have to do without that great chemistry.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 5:22 PM

If they absolutely HAD to replace one of the actors, I'd prefer it be the lovely lankey vampire dude over either wolf boy or ghost girl. I suspect that in industry terms, they'd be more like to replace the others, though. But wolf boy is definitely my draw into the show. His acting is amazing.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

I agree but I don't think anyone is getting replaced. Six episodes is a bit small though. Couldn't BBC3 at least stretch to 10?

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 6:22 PM

Six is a pretty standard first season order for a new drama. If it follows the model of Spooks, subsequent seasons will be ten episodes.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

That's true, although counting the pilot, it'll be seven episodes and a decent arc could made with all that.

Plus opportunities to see Russell Tovey in his nudey best are of course much welcomed.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

Oh for crying...

Somehow I had myself utterly convinced that the new episodes of Being Human started airing in the UK this month, but apparently I was smoking crack?

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 8:28 PM

Any word on when the show will return?

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 2:30 AM

At some point in 2009. The good news is that BBC Three had more or less decided not to pursue Being Human as 'not being a good fit' for their programming, until the massive, positive, online reaction made them think again.

The bad news is that the series will be a 'reboot, not a continuation' of the pilot. Seemingly to make the show more BBCThreeish (translation to my ears: more slapstick comedy, less angst). Casting information on the reboot will be released 'soon'.

Dragonet

Dragonet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 5:40 AM

Reboot? Damn. And then they'll no doubt be confused when the pilot's fans are underwhelmed by a completely different show.

MizStaken

MizStaken

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2008 @ 8:23 AM

Oh that just sucks to hear. I want more of the same not a totally different show. Why do TPTB always want to screw up a good thing?

I'm just betting it probably won't have any of the original cast either. Double damn.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2008 @ 8:39 AM

I rather like the original pilot that I saw a long while ago, although I understand that if they want to tweak it, or erm totally reboot it for whatever reason. Fine. But do they not want the original three main cast? At least get Tovey.

Dragonet

Dragonet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

Wanting and getting are not the same things. They could be busy.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

Of course only if they still want the roles.

MizStaken

MizStaken

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Got good news, bad news. The good- Russell Tovey has signed on to do the series. Bad news- the other two didn't.
This info comes from someone who went and saw Russell T Davies at a book conference this weekend. He has a bit of a crush on young Russell and reported that he was doing the Being Human series. Someone else on the DR Who forum confirmed that this was true and the bit about the other 2 roles being recast.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

I read the same on a livejournal group for the show; someone had met Guy Flanagan (that his name? The actor who played Mitchell), who told them he wasn't doing the show. That person claimed he didn't seem too happy about it, so he was probably recast by the production, not because he didn't have the time.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 11:16 AM

That's insane. Guy's chemistry with Russell was about 90% of what was good with the pilot!

Dragonet

Dragonet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Yay for Russell. I wasn't too keen on the actress, though I'm sure I would've warmed up to her given the chance, but I'm bummed about Guy. He was too skinny for my personal tastes, but he was perfect for the role. If it really wasn't his choice, that may mean some drastic changes to the role.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Russel was the werewolf, right?

Because he was the one I really liked.

MizStaken

MizStaken

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 7:19 PM

Yep he played the werewolf. And really, what's not to like about him? I've been watching Gavin and Stacy on BBC America and was surprised to see him on there.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

Well, if I could only keep one cast member, it'd be Russell, but this really sucks, as I thought the cast had excellent chemistry ... although I did have to listen to Annie's lines three or four times to understand them.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2008 @ 8:59 AM

I'm more bummed about the ghost girl than the vampire to be honest, but then I thought the whole vampire subplot sucked. The actor did have good chemistry with his flatmates, though.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 5:03 AM

Russell has also appeared in Doctor Who's "Voyage Of The Damned" and Episode 5 of the first season of Ashes To Ashes. I'm glad he's staying but I will miss the other two actors as they had really good chemistry together.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 7:38 PM

but I will miss the other two actors as they had really good chemistry together.

Yeah, me too. I mean that was most of the appeal for me, the chemistry between all of the actors. This is very disappointing.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 5:08 AM

We have more detail on the reasons for the recasting now. Apparently Mitchell and Annie are being recast with younger actors at the behest of suits at BBC Three who felt the original actors were too old to appeal to the network's target demographic.

Considering they were both in their mid to late 20s that (i) makes me terribly frightened about how young 'younger' is and (ii) makes me feel bloody old.

The other format changes have been geared to make it 'snappier' and 'funnier'. Which has great big red lights flashing on all my alarm panels.

The showrunner says the original pilot will never be re-transmitted and, somewhat bizarrely, compares it to Star Trek's The Cage as a pilot considered outside of the continuity of the universe of the final product. Y'know, in that way that The Cage is, in fact, not. Not even a little bit.

Edited by Nuallain, Oct 23, 2008 @ 5:09 AM.

BluWacky

BluWacky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 8:35 AM

Of course, the reason that I (and so many other people probably) liked Being Human was that it was nothing like the usual output of BBC3.

"Snappier"? "Funnier"? Totally missing the point about why I liked the show at least - it was low-key black comedy with some very effective drama.

The recasting is pretty annoying, but I can probably live with it. The reason is totally ridiculous, but at least unlike Spooks Code 9 (there's a pun in there somewhere) I don't think the show will become completely implausible with younger actors. I'm more concerned about changing the tone into something...well, shit. It IS BBC3, after all.

Besides, this is the channel that originally aired Torchwood as being supposedly adult (although of course that's all changed now). If anything Being Human was already a show for a younger demographic than that, but I suppose it doesn't have the Dr Who factor behind it...

Bum!