Being Human: Just a Regular Spooky Flatshare (UK)

• Please log in to reply

2468 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

BBC Three presents new one-off drama Being Human a witty, exciting, sexy and extraordinary look at the friendship between three 20-something outsiders trying to find their way in an enticing, yet complicated world.

Starring a cast of bright up-and-coming actors: Guy Flanagan (Totally Frank), Andrea Riseborough (Margaret Thatcher: The Long Walk to Finchley), Russell Tovey (The History Boys) alongside Adrian Lester (Hustle), Being Human explores what it's like trying to find where you fit into the grand scheme of things when you live with an unusual affliction...

Mitchell (Flanagan) and George (Tovey) are two 20-something lads who, like any of their peers, would love to hit the town, pull girls and spend evenings down the pub.

Mitchell is a hospital cleaner, good looking, laid back and a hit with the ladies. Oh, and he's a blood-sucking vampire.

Mitchell's friend George works in the same hospital as a porter. He's an awkward but loveable geek who was befriended by Mitchell two years ago.

George was heartbroken after he had to move away from the love of his life; he had to leave before she discovered that at every full moon, he sprouts a snout, grows a very hairy back and transforms into a werewolf.

Having had enough of sleeping in hostels and temporary accommodation, Mitchell and George decide to get a flat together where they can indulge in their love of beer, pizza and watching TV. They just want to have a go at being normal being human.

Annie (Riseborough) is their uninvited lodger. When the guys moved into their new creepy abode they were not expecting to share it with a ghost with a confidence crisis.

Annie used to live in the flat with her boyfriend but following a fatal accident, and now suffering from a distinct lack of self esteem, she can't move on. So, she spends her time wandering around the house, making cups of tea she can't drink and scaring away anyone who dares try to move into her home.

But when George and Mitchell move in Annie's surprised to find two new friends who are as unusual and weird as she is.

Executive producer for Touchpaper Television Rob Pursey says: "Being Human is a warm, funny, aspirational drama with an irresistible twist. Mitchell, George and Annie are supernatural creatures but they are desperate be a part of a life we all take for granted.

"It's an exciting and contemporary take on friendship and finding your way in the world. Toby Whithouse's witty, emotionally powerful script makes these three misfits come alive, even though they're far from human."

Being Human is commissioned by Danny Cohen, Controller of BBC Three, and Jane Tranter, Controller of BBC Fiction, and produced by Touchpaper Television, part of the RDF Media Group.

It is written by Toby Whithouse (Hotel Babylon), produced by Matthew Bouch (The Sarah Jane Adventures), directed by Declan O'Dwyer (Wire In The Blood) and executive produced by Rob Pursey (The Queen's Sister) and Julie Gardner, Head of Drama for BBC Wales.

Filming has started on location in Bristol for transmission on BBC Three in 2008.

The 60-minute drama is one of six bold and engaging new dramas for BBC Three which will transmit early next year.

The others are: Phoo Action, West 10 LDN (working title), The Things I Haven't Told You, Mrs In-Betweeny and Dis/connected.

The 60-minute drama is one of six pieces leading the charge of a new wave of edgy and vibrant dramas for BBC Three, following the success of Bodies and Torchwood.

This looks like an interesting little series to watch and I couldn't find a thread for it so I decided to set one. I think it's set to debut in March but no confirmation has been made yet.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

It certainly sounds interesting, but it all depends on the execution. However, Toby Whithouse wrote the Dr Who ep School Reunion, AKA the one with Sarah Jane and Giles. So that actualy fills me with confidence. So now I'm looking foward to it.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2008 @ 11:23 AM

I think it might be more comic. Whithouse was also the same bloke responsible for No Angels after all.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

I've seen this and I thought it was a pretty good pilot. Not a massively original concept but giving it a bit of a Spaced/British slacker feel is kind of newish. I think they're trying to do Shaun Of The Dead, but with other monsters. The tone is not quite right - sometimes Russell Tovey's character is a bit too broad comedy, but at other times he's really quite tormented and tragic. He's very good in it though. There isn't nearly enough Adrian Lester, although I say that about most TV shows. He is the very sinister vampire who wants them to stop being ashamed and start biting people again. Mitchell is fighting his urges. He seems to have been a vampire for some time. He looks like that guy in every university who was in a band and hung out in the union bar playing pool all the time but still got a First. The ghost girl is funny, she has a very broad accent and is agraphobic. Well, the scene that really sold it for me is when they have a pub discussion about which house they'd be in at Hogwarts and she says "I think I'd just be in Hufflepuff, they seem as if all they do all day is play with safety scissors and glitter".

TartanTart

TartanTart

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 2:22 PM

I just watched it and I really hope they pick it up. No, the idea isn't new, but I love the characters and some of the dialouge was cracking. If the point of a pilot is to make people want to see more of the characters, find out more of the story, then it worked for me.

The ghost girl reminds me of a friend of mine and Mitchell is, sadly, every boy I have ever lusted after from afar. Yup, I fancied all the ones who were in bands and hung out in the union bar playing pool all the time but still got Firsts. Well, all the ones with killer cheekbones and a tendency to rub their oh, so pouting lips a lot.

Ahem. Anyway, it's got a lot of potential. I haven't seen any of the other BBC3 pilots, but I hope this is one of the ones that gets commissioned.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

Damn I really enjoyed that. Hope it becomes a series. Annie's voice bothered me initially, but that scene in the pub made me love her. Between wanting to be in Hufflepuff and then her immediate response to what she'd do with ten million pounds ("Buy Colin Firth"), I find her hilarious. I'm very impressed with Guy Flanagan, he's an interesting vampire. Manages to be seem old and world-weary without being annoying or pretentious. And poor George. Russell Tovey can really scream, and it curdles my blood to hear it. He's very pretty though.

zoombini

zoombini

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

Delurking after several years to say, forget Phoo Action, comission this!! Absolutely loved the three main characters, and it's got Adrian Lester too.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

Yes, if they can commission that Phoo tripe, surely this will get a series. It definitely had several potential storylines (why Annie is stuck, what's going on with Adrian Lester & co) which would be frustrating to not have resolved.

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 12:34 PM

Okay, the pilot sounds intriguing, but due to me being in America, I'll have to find others ways of catching this drama. Can anyone help me out?

BluWacky

BluWacky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

Just watched this as it was repeated after Torchwood and really enjoyed it. The acting was great, the writing surprisingly solid (it's BBC3, it's nice to hear something that sounds like it was written by an adult...) and it seemed clear that it was a proper ensemble piece. If it does get picked up for a series I really hope they can keep all the actors, though - Russell Tovey in particular must be in pretty high demand post-History Boys. I liked that it was generally quip-free, too - the humour arose in a more natural way, and the drama was pleasingly well orchestrated. Very Channel 4, really.

If the show gets picked up, presumably Julia will return because otherwise George doesn't have much of a storyline set up - Mitchell has his conspiracy of vampires and Annie has her fiancee/how she died to sort out, but George has a place to transform without causing problems now. Maybe he'll try and get a degree or something...

All this, of course, is wishful thinking, given that I have no idea how the commissions process at BBC3 works; must be a ratings thing, although given the piddling audiences that they usually get I don't know how that translates into a sign to greenlight a show.

Mouldydc

Mouldydc

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 7:30 PM

Just wanted to delurk and agree - I watched BH again tonight and enjoyed it even more.

I don't know whether you'll be able to access it outside the UK, but the bbc runs a repeat viewing site called iplayer - www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer - and it's available to view there.

I recommend it, George (Russell Tovey) is splendid and Annie makes me laugh. I hope someone picks it up asap.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 7:43 PM

Interesting pilot. I wasn't too sure about the show in the beginning, what with all the werewolf-transformation screaming but was sold by the end. The very painful-looking and sounding transformation was a bit disturbing to watch, and made me think that Oz on Buffy got off easy. Also, it made me hope that Torchwood's Emo Ianto never gets the werewolf curse. Did they explain how George got "cursed"? He was really funny when he was all giddy and excited about the flat, totally undermining Mitchell's too cool for school act.

I'm not sure I get why it is that the ghost can't drink or eat, but can manipulate solid objects as well as any living human. The vampires wanting to take over the world plot reminded me of the vampires from the Ultraviolet series from a few years ago, with Jack Davenport. But Mitchell is an intriguing vampire, even if he's a bit too sensitive about being called dangerous.

The BBC should definitely pick this one up. I didn't bother with the Phoo one after reading too many "Phoo is poo" type comments.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 4:45 AM

I caught the repeat of this after Torchwood on BB3 and was surprised to really, really like it. It was way better than that Phoo Action shite, and much more deserving of being made into a series.

I loved Mitchell the vampire, the actor who played him was great, and really funny. I too lusted after those guys with killer cheekbones at uni! I loved the scene where he pretended he and George were gay to the estate agent, and when he tricked George into trying to carry him over the threshold.

And frankly, any show with that much male nudity is fine by me!

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 5:42 AM

I wonder if thats why BBC3 is showing new epsiodes of Torchwood first, so that all the extra viewers can see these supposedly one off Dramas as well, sneaky BBC3 very Sneaky. BH was rather good I thought, certainly a lot better than I thought it would be

Edited by kwynne38, Feb 21, 2008 @ 5:44 AM.

Chenoeh

Chenoeh

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Yeah, watching Torchwood was how I caught it.

I enjoyed it, though I thought it was quite different to how it was painted in the media. I was kind of expcting a broad sit com with vamps, but it was really quite bleak in places. Like Annie talking to Mitchell about dying and "the corridor with men at the end with sticks and rope"!.

Viromancy

Viromancy

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 3:55 PM

Add me to the list of delurkers who enjoyed BH. Parts of it were derivative, sure, and like others I got a distinct "Ultraviolet" vibe in places. Mitchell could do with being played with a bit less disassociation: I get that he's much, much older than he looks but I'm not convinced that playing the character as if he's constantly mildly stoned is the way to portray it. George was a lot of fun, though, and I fell for him a little during the house viewing scene - I kept being reminded of Terry Pratchett's take on werewolves as having doglike tendencies during his excited puppy routine. Annie didn't have to do much more to win me over after the whole "Can you see me do this?" thing.

For a pilot where the actors have yet to get the measure of their characters and the plot can do little but drop anvils for people to (hopefully) trip over later, I thought it was pretty entertaining. Plus, on a shallower level, Mitchell is pretty much my long-standing perfect physical type, George is my perfect adorkable personality type and I love Annie's accent. So I'm already inclined to like the characters. I really hope it gets commissioned.

Edited by Viromancy, Feb 21, 2008 @ 5:14 PM.

anima52

anima52

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

I really enjoyed this show - very creative within a well trodden genre. Russell Tovey was so good as George, and I have never felt for a character turning into a werewolf (!) as much as I did for him... Andrea Risborough (sp?) did a fine job with that accent - it made her situation seem so much more down to earth and believeable. Guy Flanagan was the perfect, languid vampire-type. I do hope that they make this into a series on BBC2 as is rumoured.

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

I loved it and really hope it goes to series.

JonBidinger

JonBidinger

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 7:36 PM

Well, I live in the US but got my hands on a copy cuz I heard it was so good, and I really enjoyed it. The characters were great, the story was good, and I was actually scared for the ex when George was turning. Plus the ending with the whole Vampire conspiracy thing was chilling. So I hope it gets a series.

Ransom

Ransom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

"You shouldn't really be eating bacon anyway, given that you're Jewish and all"
"Yeah, I kinda gave up on the whole orthodoxy thing when I started turning into a wolf."

Caught this on the iPlayer. Echo the comments about it being surprisingly dramatic, given that the basic premise sounds like a wacky sitcom. Very good though, engaging and witty with some great acting from Russel Tovey (that boy can really scream). Also, I live in Bristol, so kept having "I know that bridge/bar/street" moments all throughout.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 4:56 AM

All the press really seemed to be selling it as a kind of Game On meets The Munsters but it was really more like a case of Werewolf and I - especially with the actor playing Mitchell doing his best Paul McGann impression right the way through.

So funny, but bloody dark too. It really deserves to be commissioned for a whole series.

Like Annie talking to Mitchell about dying and "the corridor with men at the end with sticks and rope"!.

Sounds a bit... buddhist, maybe? Getting the crap beaten out of you with sticks between reincarnations figured large in Kim Stanley Robinson's book Years of Rice and Salt.

BrandyAlexander

BrandyAlexander

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 7:54 AM

When I read the synopsis of the show I laughed. But there was nothing else on so I gave it a go. I really did not expect to like it as much as I did. That scene in the carpark with George and his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend was downright chilling. As was the scene in which he was locked in the basement with her just as he was about to change. They seemed to strike a lovely balance in the tone. It was dark but not too dark. And the humour was very natural, instead of quips we had proper funny conversations that really happen between people (sorting hat and Colin Firth). So throw my name into the ring with the rest that want to see this given a series.

Sica

Sica

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Am I the only one who's also quite happy to for once have a vampire around that's NOT a private detective, no?

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

It was a refreshing change.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

That scene in the carpark with George and his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend was downright chilling.

I came to this show for Russell Tovey, I liked him in History Boys and Doctor Who, so not only was it chilling ... it was a little hot too.

Am I the only one who's also quite happy to for once have a vampire around that's NOT a private detective, no?

That George and Mitchell have very ordinary jobs is one of the show's attractions for me.

Viromancy

Viromancy

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 3:44 AM

Or a rock star.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 3:30 PM

Between the Ramones and Keith Richards, I can definitely see how the latter would become intertwined with vampirism in the public consciousness.

Edited by Bruinsfan, Feb 26, 2008 @ 3:31 PM.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 10:57 AM

You know, with all these posts about just one pilot episode on BBC3 of all places, assuming that the level of interest is repeated across other boards and sites, they would really be fools not to commission this. I know TWOP is hardly representative but in this case as it's a fantasy series, if this reflects the possible number of cult fans, that's a good base. I mean, how many posts did Phoo Action get?

On the other hand if they commission more than one of the pilots, the other might be a non-fantasy show (eg Noel Clarke's West LDN) for balance with Phoo. Hmm.

Sica

Sica

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

Being Human has been doing pretty well on the iplayer. They have a top 10 list of the most popular programs and it's gone as high as 4 and it's now sitting at no. 9 and that's not half bad since it's all been the same episode and it's still in the top 10.

There are two comms on LJ so far for the show and around 20 fics and a few vids posted already which is pretty good for just the one ep.

I've also seen decent sized comment threads elsewhere so really. It's a small but growing fandom already. So in forms of getting a cult audience the show is doing extremely well

TartanTart

TartanTart

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

It's got a rave thread on digitalspy too and I think someone set up a petition to have it commissioned.

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for news of it being picked up. I may also have had a small dream about Mitchell the other night. Possibly.