America's Best Dance Crew

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3656 replies to this topic

MyrnaC

MyrnaC

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

I think this could be a great show !!!!

I love the dancing. The really crazy intense inner city mask-wearing contortionist costume stuff - that is not so much what I am ready to watch. That whole MTV commercial pinging off the Warriors ... I think I am still getting the creeps with that.

I am also one of those people who has no idea who the judges are. No idea who the dance crews are. No idea why they dress the way they do. They could be on SNL for all I know why they are flipping or dressing the way they do.

I am a celebreality VH1 and MTV fan (True Life, Made, etc.) and have watched Making the Band.

This Dance Crew stuff is just different for me. I try to watch it like I watch Cheerleaders, but there is just a creepy element that is putting me off.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 7:45 PM

I'd be interested to hear what people thought about The Movement. Personally, I thought they were robbed twice. I liked Status Quo a lot but I would have picked TM and I definitely thought they would be picked over the roller skating crew.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 8:20 PM

I didn't like The Movement's initial routine that much (very Michael Jackson-esque), but I think they did a great job during the dance-off. I do think they were robbed, but the judges kind of had their hands tied because the audience definitely gave all of their support to the roller skaters and they knew they had already fucked up by putting Femme 5 through instead of them. If the judges could have voted without regard to the audience, The Movement should have made it.

Zigzag

Zigzag

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

This looks like a show that will probably grow on me. So far I like it okay. Shane is a good judge, but he did piss me off last season on SYTYCD. No need to comment about that. Lil Mama is an average dancer, an annoying singer with unusual...facial features. Terrible judge. I like JC. He's consistent and well, good-looking. I'm sorry, but I've always had a soft spot for the man (back when N'Sync was in the game). He's the least annoying one from the boys band that is no more.

ZOMG!!!!11one Femme 5 were like soooo lame!! Gimme a U! a S! a U! a C! and a K! (ugh) Get out of my face already. They looked like wannabe cheerleaders with low IQs.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

I liked BrakeSk8, but as mentioned upthread they were kind of one-note (and my sister said that they moved nice but it wasn't really dancing).

I think what happened was this: The judges/producers picked Femme 5 for the variety and the fact America likes Hot White Jailbait Ass (tm Family Guy) and invented the "Audience picks the 9th group" so BrakeSk8 would get in (and they were a shoo in considering the other teams didn't have that much personality). Everyone gets what they want: Hot White Jailbait Ass and BrakeSk8.

inmyeyes

inmyeyes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2008 @ 10:01 AM

KABA MODERN FTW!!!

I was so psyched when I saw them come up; it was like they were my friends when in reality I "know" of them from obsessing over their dance videos. Haha. Their Vibe 10 performance is my absolute fave performance by a dance crew. And their Fusion 2007 piece almost made me tear up with how tight they are. Those 6 dancers repping Kaba on the show come from an amazing crew so I know they're gonna be awesome.

The West Coast crews impressed me the most. The Jabbas were really tight, with great musicality. Fysh n Chicks were FIERCE (the crew name? Not so fierce). And their pre-perf interview was really cute; they seem like fun girls. Them two and Kaba were easily the top 3 for me.

Femme5 = WTF? Don't get it. Don't get how they even got chosen to rep the Midwest. They were clean, but that's about it. Nothing new or interesting in their choreography or their dancing. They're outclassed by every other crew on the show and probably be gone after the first week of competition. The Fysh Chicks can easily kick their Diet Britney (haha, love that nickname... and too true!) asses.

JC was surprisingly coherent as a judge (I love that dude but he doesn't always make sense but he did here!); L'il Mama loves everyone which isn't any help. I love Shane Sparks but I wish he would give harder critiques. Actually I wish they all would give more critiques or be more detailed about what exactly they liked about the crews. JC did some of that, which I really appreciated. And maybe they'll be harder on the crews once the competition proper starts.

Looking forward to Feb 7!

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2008 @ 3:49 PM

I looked at the poll on the official website for the show last week. This is based of my memory because I can't get the poll to load for some reason: Status Quo was at the bottom with about 1 percent. BrakeS8t was leading with 24 percent. Jabbawockeez were tied with Kaba Modern at 21%. Femme5 wasn't in the bottom 2 though. I was happy to see Status Quo at the bottom because I dislike that doofus Jamal(which stems from his audition from SYTYCD ).

BoofishFontaine

BoofishFontaine

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2008 @ 5:54 PM

Status Quo at the bottom because I dislike that doofus Jamal(which stems from his audition from SYTYCD ).

Jamal and his swing dance partner were part of that crew.

I thought Team "We Used to be in that group Dream that P-Diddy formed and we only had one hit" that beat the skaters...I thought that was fair. It's a dance competition. They at least danced. It was one or the other and considering the show's title, I agree with the judges. Now once the real competition starts, their cheese will get grilled but that is besides the point. The skaters did not dance IMO; they did tricks on skates. And the show is not "America's Best Tricks On Skates Crew" Because if it was, then they deserved the spot now being held by Dream (*sings* He loves me, he loves not .. not matter what you do...)

Edited by BoofishFontaine, Feb 5, 2008 @ 5:55 PM.

Violeta5

Violeta5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

I think what happened was this: The judges/producers picked Femme 5 for the variety and the fact America likes Hot White Jailbait Ass (tm Family Guy) and invented the "Audience picks the 9th group" so BrakeSk8 would get in (and they were a shoo in considering the other teams didn't have that much personality). Everyone gets what they want: Hot White Jailbait Ass and BrakeSk8.

I just hope the best dance crew wins, not the "hottest".

Edited by Violeta5, Feb 6, 2008 @ 10:24 AM.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

I'm so embarrassed by the Chicago showing. Femme5 doesn't do anything more difficult or look any better than my Body Jam class, which has a bunch of 40 year old women doing the same moves, or any junior high poms team.

The skaters had a pretty good shtick, and I liked watching them, but they won't go too far. They must have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel. No ringers in Chicago? Should have stopped by my aerobics class!

Could Mario Lopez try a little harder to be hip? It was like watching a grandpa trying to talk street to the kids.

dancerina

dancerina

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

It premiere tonight! You ready? Sweetxcape and Awa1957, you're so right! I totally noticed that too about the Boston guys. I LOVED the Jabberwocky's, could do without the Femme5 and am on the fence about the skating team.

I think JC is a great judge. Not only has he worked with some of the top choreographers in the world with N Sync, he was on Mickey Mouse club when he was just a kid.

Another dance show I'm digging right now is Dance War. I like the fact that the contestants have to be double threats, sing and dance and that is something no show has done yet. Is anyone else watching?

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

Could Mario Lopez try a little harder to be hip? It was like watching a grandpa trying to talk street to the kids.

This totally made me laugh. I guess because he was DwtS and has been dancing for a long time. But he really does stand out like a sore thumb.

I tried watching Dance Wars, but gave up because the contestants aren't double threats. They're barely single threats.

ETA:
HUH??? Whut??? Enigma was 1000% better than Iconix. It must be because the one guy is opening a dance studio.

Live in Color was definitely my favorite. Glad Jabberwocky was safe, but WTF Femme 5 wasn't in the bottom 2? That's lame.

The skate group was ok. They will definitely have to step it up to keep in the competition.

I love that song Low. It's so dumb, but it's catchy.

Funny thing is they all fall down...

Edited by isiscloud, Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:34 PM.

Stylzz

Stylzz

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:29 PM

I'm mad Femme 5 wasn't one of the two groups to have to dance in the "battlezone".

GeminiDancer

GeminiDancer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. One of the members of Enigma violates a rule, and she knows that she violated said rule then has the gall to justify her violation by saying that the leader is jealous before she's kicked out and the judge is blaming the leader? Is there something that I missed here that warranted Lil Mama's comments to Mouse?

The lighting for Fysh 'N Chicks was horrible. I could barely see them in that mass of orange, red, and pink, but I loved their routine.

Jabbawockeez were still awesome. Too bad I missed Live in Color, so I couldn't really gauge who should've been saved in that group.

Diet Britneys...please go away. You still suck. I don't know why they were saved yet again. Compared to both Enigma and Iconic, their routine was absolutely juvenile. Aside from all the flipping, I can do that same routine in a gym hip hop class. I can see right now that they're going to be the crew that knocks off all the good teams because of the White Jailbait Ass (love that one) factor.

I was rather disappointed in BreakSk8. That routine was very boring. JC is totally correct in the fact that there was no dancing.

Kaba Modern's routine was absolutely amazing. That's all I have to say.

Edited by GeminiDancer, Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:34 PM.

celisse

celisse

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:50 PM

What. The. Hell. This is def going to be ANOTHER show where the judges just piss me the hell off and make the weirdest, dumbest decisions. How are the Diet Britneys still there? They should have been in the bottom two with Iconix, IMO. I don't even think those girls should have made it onto the auditions, let alone the actual show.

As for Iconix vs Enigma, I definitely thought Enigma beat their asses off during the battle. Iconix is boring and their performance tonight proved it, considering it was way too similar to what we already saw of them from the casting. Enigma should have been given another chance to get themselves together cos I think theres a lot of potential there that was disrupted by the fact that they lost a member and seem to all be fighting with each other.

Oh and as for my favorites thus far? Kaba Modern and Live in Color. Kaba Modern is AMAZINGGGG but I'm voting tonight for Live in Color just for repping Miami hahaahah.

Edited by celisse, Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:51 PM.

DawningDormant

DawningDormant

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:51 AM

Tonight's show was the first one I've seen, and it was definitely interesting. I really enjoyed the guys with the masks- and I swear I'm not just being partial because I'm from San Diego. Kaba Modern was great too- and how Femme 5 avoided the bottom is a mystery.

So, I've got a question: what's the point of voting? Mario Lopez kept saying each group saved from the bottom two "earned the right to perform again next week," so what are the votes going toward? If there was an explanation, I totally missed it. Haha.

truconfession

truconfession

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 5:48 AM

I'm so pissed. I started watching so excited about the show, I was all into it until they decided who had to battle. I knew for sure that Femme5 was going to be in the bottom with another team. I screamed at the television when they were safe. What the hell?

Okay so now let me rewind and talk about the other groups.

Loved the first set of three perforemers.Them along with Kabba Modern are my top four teams so I enjoyed watching at least three of them all in a row. Nothing bad I can say about them and I look forward to what they come up with next.

I really enjoyed status quo routine. It had comedy and fun but it also had a lot of really good dancing. The have officially been added to my list of teams i'll be rooting for. They'll be on the bottom, but still.

Fish and Chicks was okay, but I still love them.

Femme5 are still Diet Brittneys (love this term) there routine was sloppy and they messed up a number of times, and some even missed movements in there routine. I laughed at Shane's comment about matching underwear, I don't even know why it was funny, but it was to me.

I liked Inegma's(sp?) ending, but the routine wasn't all that great, good but not great. I'm like what someone else said up thread, I didn't understand were Lil mama was coming from, at all. I still want her ass replaced, she never shuts up.

I actually liked Iconic(sp?), and enjoyed there routine. Its the same style as what they did before, but I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed the beginning of their routine the most.

I'm still like BrakeSk8te(sp?) but there not going to go far at all. JC was right about them having no dancing. I don't see them beating any of my top 5.

Ah, so now we come to when I hit the roof. Femme5 didn't have to battle WTF?!?! I mean for real, why are they keeping them? Because the want to be fair and have 2 female teams? (even though I believe Fish and Chicks can hold there own) I just don't get why they're there. They are below every single team out there. Those judges know damn well that had Femme5 had to battle(like they should have) they would of gotten there asses handed to them by any team they battled. Why are they keeping them around?

And of coarse I loved Kabba Modern, they always kill it.

the battle was cool. Liked what those two twin girls did, there extremely flexible.

Nikita6

Nikita6

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

I doubt anyone remembers that Elyse (Melnick) from the Femme 5 group (the tallest one with long dark hair and bangs) was also on Season 1 of SYTYCD. She made it all the way to the top 24 and was cut during that top 16 episode. It showed her a few times in the boot camp episodes and her walk to the judges to find out her fate. During that walk, it showed a little of her audition in Chicago. She had light streaks in her dark hair then. I liked her then, what little I saw, and was rooting for her to make the final 16. The judges didn't give her an explanation of why they didn't pick her. Alex De Silva just said she had low scores in his class but did good in all the other classes. That's why I like her in this show and am rooting for Femme 5, no matter how good or bad they do in this show. I wonder why no one has brought this up on the show that she was on SYTYCD?

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

I'd love to know the purpose of voting as well!

Was anyone else bothered by the lighting and camera work? The camera wouldn't hold still, it was driving me crazy! I really don't need the overhead view or the under the stage view either.

My favorite group by far is the Jabbawockeez.

I feel like I'm missing something with Kaba Modern. I think they're good, but I'm not all "OMG, soooo amazing" like the judges and the posters here.

I was really looking forward to a Femme5/BreakSk8te dance off, but the judges messed that all up! Both of those teams can go anytime now.

GeminiDancer

GeminiDancer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 1:06 PM

I wonder why no one has brought this up on the show that she was on SYTYCD?

Cause then they'd have to acknowledge Jamal and Enoch when they were on, and the fact that Chris from Full Out was on MTB4.

Was anyone else bothered by the lighting and camera work? The camera wouldn't hold still, it was driving me crazy! I really don't need the overhead view or the under the stage view either.

You're not the only one. Fysh 'N Chicks had the worst lighting with all that orange, pink, and red. You could barely see them.

Edited by GeminiDancer, Feb 8, 2008 @ 1:09 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

I feel like I'm missing something with Kaba Modern. I think they're good, but I'm not all "OMG, soooo amazing" like the judges and the posters here.

You're definitely not the only one. They were good, but not one I'd say was outstanding. They were excellent in comparison to the other crews they were grouped with, though.

I also didn't get why there needs to be voting. I just thought that I was missing something that had been discussed previously so I didn't want to ask.

Do they mention that Shane was/is a judge on SYTYCD?

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:38 PM

No, although Shane keeps making side-eye type comments about how you'd never see this kind of dancing on other shows.

CountryGal

CountryGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

I really wish Femme5 was better than they are. I always have a soft spot for teams/groups/competitors from Chicago, but they're making a it hard. I think they're good dancers. I went to high school with one of the girls so I've seen her dance in person and she's good, but nothing special. I just don't necessarily think they belong on this type of show.

I'm glad JC brought up how the skating group isn't really dancing. I think what they do is cool, but it's getting old fast. I just don't get that "wow" feeling when I watch them.

I'm loving Kaba Modern and Jabbawockeez though.

dancerina

dancerina

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

I think that the judges are losing their minds. Did they not hear the crowd booing when they said that Femme5 was save?! Besides the inner-team drama, I think Enigma is a great crew, along with Iconic. This show is called AMERICA'S BEST DANCE CREW. Come in judges, raise those standards, cuz honestly if you did you would see that Femme5 has NO Chance of taking that title.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 7:47 PM

I said this on a youtube video and I'll say it again here: pop can be good it's just that Femme5 is making it look bad. Lil' Mama continues to prove that she shouldn't be a judge by calling out "Mouse" from enigma. Mouse did something that had to be hard to do when he kicked out his own teammate for violating the rules twice. Speaking of enigma I can understand why they landed in the bottom but I don't understand why Iconic was there. With that said during the battle Enigma rocked face and should have stayed in the competition. I guess it's another example of how the "dance for your life" concept doesn't mean shit when the judges have an agenda.

dancerina

dancerina

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I agree with you. Lil Mama has no business being a judge. She's too young to even understand the hard work that these professionals have to put in, in order to even qualify for a show like this. As far as the groups. I think that Enigma should have stayed. Femme5 are not up to par and should've been booted.

JohnnySunshine9

JohnnySunshine9

Video Archivist

• Interests:baseball and low-quality reality tv or documentary specials, pop culture crap that MTV puts on aimed at 12 year old girls. Let's be honest, I will watch anything that doesn't attack me first.

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 8:48 PM

I'm obsessed with Kaba Modern. I hope they win it all. I did gymnastics for a few years and trust me, the isolations they do are just plain SICK. That stuff is SOOOOO freakin hard to do. I want to marry all of Kaba Modern and have their babies. By far my fave.

Also love: JabbaWockeez, Iconic, and Breaksk8 (though I don't think they should win, b/c as others have pointed out, it's not a "tricks on rollerskates" competition, but I do admire them).

Femme 5 are so bland (echoing everyone else, Diet Britneys is a fantastic name for them).
Fysh N Chicks, don't get the love for them, not a fan. Nor of Live Color either. I wish the 2 all-girl groups were cooler.

I can't believe Femme 5 made it through (loved the booing of the crowd) and that Iconic was in the bottom 2! I think Enigma deserved to go home, kind of sloppy.

Also, I'm ashamed of myself for loving "Low," but oh well, it made for a fun dance off.

jasira

jasira

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

Lil' Mama continues to prove that she shouldn't be a judge by calling out "Mouse" from enigma. Mouse did something that had to be hard to do when he kicked out his own teammate for violating the rules twice.

I thought Lil Mama was totally on point. The routine suffered because the leader was an egomanic. He didn't have to kick that girl out of the crew. I strongly suspect he was powertripping because he was jealous the girl was hanging with her ex. Everything about his behavior indicated that he was juvenile like that including how he was talking to the white looking guy even to the point of saying "don't say" whatever foolishness they were yelling at the same time as he. He was salty he and ridiculous. The topper was that he put himself front and center when he was as Mama so rightfully stated "sloppy". Even his own people were laughing cause they knew it to be true. instead of focusing on the dancing he was being Napolean and as a result the entire crew suffered because it was reflected in their art.

Since this is a dance competition that's not about formal training and all about crews, street music, and very hip hop based, I think Lil Mama is well suited. She's the only judge who can be credited with a dance (lipstick) associated with her. Its like being the person credited with creating the harlem shake or something. Its hood cred and for this kind of competition its appropriate.

Edited by jasira, Feb 8, 2008 @ 9:00 PM.

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I believe that Engima got the boot for the interplay between Lil Mama and Enigma's leader. Seems to me he gave her some sort of gesture when she was bashing him. I have a strong feeling it was an inappropriate one, hence the leader's apology to Lil Mama and the judges when his crew got voted off...

Although Enigma's audition piece and last night's original dance was weak, their battle was indeed better than Iconic's. However, I think his fate on the show had been sealed by then.

I won't be crying any tears over this one because Enigma's leader was on a major ego-trip and just plain annoying. I think Femme 5 would have been in the bottom if Lil Mama and Enigma hadn't gotten into it...and if Femme5 brings the same amount of garbage next week, then I fully expect to see them in the bottom 2.

Edited by kanona29, Feb 8, 2008 @ 9:37 PM.

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Show summary from mtv.com

Are you ready to pop and lock? Think it's time to take the Soulja Boy dance craze to the next level? Don't know what the paso doble or fox trot is? Good, 'cause we're bringing the streets to the stage in the new competitive dance series Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew!

After scouring the country for the top street and studio dance crews, we found 12 of the very best groups to grace our stage. With their dreams on the line, these crews need to impress our panel of judges, including JC Chasez and choreographer Shane Sparks, host Mario Lopez and, yes, American Idol's Randy Jackson, 'cause after the first dance-off, only the elite eight will stay in the competition. And, in the end, only one team will be crowned America's Best Dance Crew, winning a crazy cool cash prize and a coveted touring contract.

Week after week, each dance crew, consisting of five to seven members, will work their butts off to demonstrate their most innovative choreography and sick dance skills. The crews will be asked to recreate the moves seen in the hottest music videos, use their fancy footwork to reenact their favorite movie scenes and pay homage to the classic grooves (and moves) of the past. But it's going to be hard to keep the beat and stay on point with so many people competing for the title of America's Best Dance Crew, and there's sure to be showdowns, shouting matches and dramatic impromptu dance-offs!

And guess what? You'll be right in the middle of the action! Oh yeah, you heard us right. As it all unfolds, you'll get to vote for your favorite dance crew -- yup, their fates are in your hands! Once we tally up the votes, the two weakest links must battle, showing the judges their best moves for the chance to advance to the next round. One crew will be eliminated each week, ultimately revealing America's Best Dance Crew!

What videos/movies do we want to see recreated?