America's Best Dance Crew

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3656 replies to this topic

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:36 AM

That 8 Flavahz "Vogue" performance was right in so many ways. The musicality was there, the technique was there, and it was simply impressive. Seriously put the Iconic Boyz to shame.

nanobabes

nanobabes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Well I haven't posted on this thread since probably season 2, but I had to come out of the woodwork to say how damn impressed I am by 8 Flavahs. And they're not even good for their age, they're just GOOD. I think there might be two older teens at 17, but I believe they're mostly in the preteen - early teen ages, with one at 10 years old? Which, aside from the two older ones is about the same age as the Iconic Boyz. Just goes to highlight how terrible they were, even "for their age". (I'll never understand how they got so far, they don't even have anywhere near the amount of "cute" factor that 8F has, and none of the talent to bolster it.)

I always wondered with the younger crews, if they choreograph the routines themselves each week. A poster way back theorized that Iconic Boyz probably had a collection of moves in their repertoire which they just adapted to each challenge. But it seems 8F genuinely choreographed it on their own, just by how they articulated conceptualizing their routine. Honestly, I think that routine will go down in history as one of the - if not best - most memorable routines. It was clean, creative, and had great energy, I've already watched it several times. I'm a little torn, because I loved FannyPak way back when, but I may have to shift my loyalties over to 8 Flavahs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're final two, with Fanny Pak pulling through with their fan base alone, and 8 Flavahs pulling through for the age factor. With other crews, I might complain that those would be unfair advantages, but I definitely don't mind when it comes to these two crews.

ETA: While I'm glad they don't do as many silly gimmicks for each challenge, I really wish they weren't doing the "Super Star" challenges, AGAIN. While I can appreciate the non-hip-hop elements, it really draws away from what was originally understood to be a hip-hop themed show. So many of the songs, especially in this week's Madonna challenge (even with remixing), are far from the hip-hop style, beat, and tempo, that I can see why it would be hard for some crews to adapt. Plus I used to like discovering some of the more obscure songs, I even made an ABDC mix from the first few seasons that I would whip out at parties.

Edited by nanobabes, Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:22 PM.

Wildcard28

Wildcard28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

I always wondered with the younger crews, if they choreograph the routines themselves each week. A poster way back theorized that Iconic Boyz probably had a collection of moves in their repertoire which they just adapted to each challenge. But it seems 8F genuinely choreographed it on their own, just by how they articulated conceptualizing their routine.

I was wondering the same thing - since none of them were born when Vogue came out. The routine perfectly fit the song. If it was their choreography - i'm really really impressed.

One thing I wish they had on the show was the ability to see the whole routine with a view of the whole stage. There's so many parts of the routine that I only caught in glimpses. One of the part I really likes was at the beginning, that KK "kicks" one of the other members aside - and gives her a look. It completely fit the song.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

I always wondered with the younger crews, if they choreograph the routines themselves each week. A poster way back theorized that Iconic Boyz probably had a collection of moves in their repertoire which they just adapted to each challenge. But it seems 8F genuinely choreographed it on their own, just by how they articulated conceptualizing their routine.

Yeah, that was my theory about Iconic Boyz. I'm pretty sure that 8 Flavahz and RNG conceptualize their own routines from start to finish though (although I think 8 Flavahz already knew how to vogue before they were given the challenge). You're right, 8 Flavahz has a few members who are 17, and those two are probably their lead choreographers. Additionally, ReQuest Dance Crew's main choreographer, Parris, was around 18 or 19 when they were on the show. It's not outside the realm of possibility for these two new young crews to do all of their own choreo.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I really dislike Drake's music. So this week was hard to get into. I liked 8 flavahz because of the emotion in their dance. Very sad , no 12 year old should lose their mother.
Fanny pak story telling is back, thank god, I hope being in the bottom two has woken them up.

Jennifer Lopez next week, Yuck!

Edited by blaase, May 2, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

Impish Dragon

Impish Dragon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I'm probably mean for saying it, but I didn't like 8 flavahz routine. Admitedly I fast forward through most of the rehersal stuff, but I rewound cuz people were crying and I couldn't figure out why. I'm a bit unclear. Was her mother dead or dying? Either way sucks massively, no matter the age.

I did like Mos Wanted Crew and Rated Next Generation. While not a fan of Stepboys, the dude in the teddy bear costume was a champ for being able to do that stuff in costume.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Was her mother dead or dying?

Her mom has cancer and they said the illness was progressing. So I don't know if she was necessarily on her death bed, but she's not doing well. And yeah, I was underwhelmed by their performance as well.

voks

voks

Just Tuned In

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Her mother died later in the week. Really sad.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

I'm probably mean for saying it, but I didn't like 8 flavahz routine.

No, you're not.

If I take 8 Flavahz performance for what it is: A performance art piece celebrating Angel & her mother, I thought it was really beautiful. On a dance technique level, was it good? No. However, they were going for emotional strength and they did that. I actually voted this week, just because I really hope they avoid B2.

I have to give Angel credit: There's no way I would have had the guts to stay.

ETA: When she jumped into her friend's arms, I almost cried.

Edited by Bigwheels1971, May 3, 2012 @ 1:12 AM.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

This is probably the most evenly matched Final Six on this show. It's a very close contest between all of them. Fanny Pak isn't as safe as assumed, and Mos Wanted Crew isn't as dominant as some people predicted. 8 Flavahz, even with a genuine tragedy (Angel's mother really died), performed well. Not quite as amazing as last week, but still solid enough to earn their place.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

During the taping of this episode, her mother was in the hospital and a few days later, word got out that she indeed died. So next week is going to be interesting because you know ABDC will bring it up. I haven't heard anything if Angel will perform next week. The girls' routine did lack technique but the artistry was phenominal. Sometimes being a performer isn't always about hitting the right moves or singing the highest notes. It's about keeping the audience's attention on your performance and they accomplished that. I was crying just as hard as Lil Mama. I think JC was going to cry too.

Will someone describe Stepboys routine to me? My TV started messing up and my screen was blacked out during the entire performance, but I could still hear audio.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Will someone describe Stepboys routine to me? My TV started messing up and my screen was blacked out during the entire performance, but I could still hear audio.

It was basically a gimmick, but a really good gimmick (IMO). One of their members was in a giant bear costume and did crazy stunts the whole time, which must have been ridiculously hard given the weight and lack of mobility in the bear suit. They threw him into the air and he did a horizontal helicopter spin, he was flipping and being thrown from person to person... it was cool to see. The rest of the crew just danced around him and/or threw him places. Their stuff was pretty basic. But I give the crew props for the fun stunt.

nanobabes

nanobabes

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

I hate to admit it too, but I wasn't as impressed with 8 Flavahz performance either. I was also a bit disappointed because I absolutely loved their performance last week and was looking forward to see what they would bring this week. And while some may dance their heart out under great distress, you could tell Angel was having trouble keeping it together, which of course is absolutely understandable. And since the dance had her front and center, it became obvious and the routine overall wasn't as clean. If you look at it as a showcase for her struggle and grief, I suppose it was successful. When she was making transitions and climbing up the "mountain" of girls, you could sense her emotion. However, I was a bit uncomfortable with that kind of exposure, especially knowing that her mother ended up dying. Though I'm sure she wasn't forced into it, and maybe it was what she needed.

And I'm sure Lil' Mama was truly being compassionate, but her blubbering for some reason annoyed me. I think because other times when she's gotten emotional she tries so hard to sound so wise and as part of her personality of drawing attention to herself, it bugs. Give your condolences, some words of encouragement, and keep it at that. While it came from good intentions, I don't like it when people tell others how to deal or feel about their personal struggle.

None of the other performances this week were very noteworthy to me either. I think it's something about Drake's music, but all of the songs and the routines looked similar to me, with just different costumes or gimmicks. There wasn't as much story or character to the individual routines to me, and I'm beginning to feel like I've seen all the moves before. This year's crews are very talented, and they're executing the choreo extremely well, but I'm just finding it predictable. I'm sure the Jabbawockeez didn't invent it, but when one of the crews - I forget who - did the flying illusion, I was just bored. Here's hoping for some more originality next week, though I'm not very hopeful with Jennifer Lopez as the theme.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

I'm probably mean for saying it, but I didn't like 8 flavahz routine.

No, you're not mean; I wasn't a huge fan of the routine either. It started out pretty good, but then I think it slowed down a lot. I think JC said it pretty well- it was a lot of good moments, but it wasn't complete (I also think he did a good job of giving them a compliment and still critiquing them) That being said, props to Angel for getting out there and being front and center during the routine and holding it together, because I certainly wouldn't have been able to do that when I was 12. And I'll admit, I teared up when Lil Mama did, not because the routine made me emotional, but just the thought of poor Angel trying so hard to make her Mom proud while she's dying broke my heart.

I was completely fine with Stepboys going home. And D-Trix can shove it, especially for someone who claimed he wasnt going to treat that crew any differently. Does he actually believe their choreography wasn't basic? Their stunts were good, and I'm impressed with the guy who was in the costume, but it is Americas Best Dance Crew, and they weren't great dancers. Though, the look on JC and Lil Mama's faces when he told them they couldn't do what Stepboys did was hilarious. I actually think he was referring to the stunts and not the actual dancing, but I thought Lil Mama was going to punch him and then challenge him to a dance-off.

Also, whoever has been doing her styling this season is doing a great job- ive been waiting for her to look crazy but she hasn't yet. Her hair and makeup espeially have looked very nice so far.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I'm not really happy about them using a grieving 12 year old for ratings, they could have mentioned her mother dying without milking every tear from that poor girl.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Fanny Pak and 8 Flavahz are definitely setting themselves apart from the rest of the crews. I see them battling it out in the final. They were the best this week for me again and they had by far the worst songs.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

I had a much easier time picking a favorite last season. I thought the crews did a great job this week and I still don't know who to root for.

Not looking forward to seeing ICONic Boyz next week.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Why is Iconic Boyz going to be on the show next week and not last season's champion, makes no sense.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

Man Chachi is throwing some big time shade on twitter and it looks like it's all directed at 8 Flavahz but Mos Wanted to still the best in her mind even though they got a sucky challenge according to her

knaayo

knaayo

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I thought Rated Next Generation was the best this week. They've got some really good crews this season. It's shaping up to be a really good competition.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Man Chachi is throwing some big time shade on twitter and it looks like it's all directed at 8 Flavahz but Mos Wanted to still the best in her mind even though they got a sucky challenge according to her

She must know someone on the Mos Wanted crew. I hope someone is telling her to STFU.

GiantFlemish

GiantFlemish

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Word on the Tumblrs from the younger fans is that Chachi and Ian from Mos Wanted are "pre-dating"?
(Because of her age and her parents she's not allowed to "real-date" yet.)
Whatever that means.

It's a shame that she's being dismissive of 8 Flahvahs because they're "cute and adorable".
They have skills and regardless of who is better this week, they brought it.

RNG continues to be my favorite.
Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to watch Mos Wanted bring the sexy until the finale.
And I think this week's challenge was dumdumdum.
But RNG is killing it.

Mostly I was embarrassed for Casper.
Imagine your famous girlfriend needing to find you work.
Ugh, I was cringing when the kids had to act super excited to meet the guy.

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Mostly I was embarrassed for Casper.
Imagine your famous girlfriend needing to find you work.
Ugh, I was cringing when the kids had to act super excited to meet the guy.

I mean seriously... dude didn't even get a title. It didn't have to be "J-Lo's Boy Toy". But, they could have come up with something.. "Choreographer"... "J-Lo Back-up Dancer". Anything at all would have worked.

Oh wait... unless the show is trying to imply that the whole world should already know who he is because he's so famous!! If that's the case... how ridiculous. He is known for being in J-Lo's dance crew and bed. Nothing more.I probably wouldn't even recognize him if I saw him on anything that didn't reference J-Lo.

J-LO may think he's the "bestest" in the world... but I find nothing remarkable or adorable or sexy about him at all. But, hey you know... to each their own.

Sorry to see to see the Atlanta crew go home. They were a bunch of cuties... and seemed like nice guys too.

Edited by charmgirl, May 10, 2012 @ 4:18 PM.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

[quote']
Word on the Tumblrs from the younger fans is that Chachi and Ian from Mos Wanted are "pre-dating"?
(Because of her age and her parents she's not allowed to "real-date" yet.)
Whatever that means.
[/quote]

Ok, potentially dumb question - who is Chachi? I only learn the crews names, but I never really learn the individual member names - is she on one of the crews this season?

I was sad Collision had to go, but I like all the crews left, so I would have been bummed regardless who left. I was surprised that Electrolytes had my favorite dance of the night though. I had been pretty "meh" on them so far, but I really liked their number last night. This is probably the first season where I cant pick out a clear cut winner from the beginning.

It still bewilders me how Fanny Pak continues to be in the bottom though.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Chachi is the over rated little blonde from Iamme. I really hated last season.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

When I think about it, yes, Chachi is a bit overrated. The ones that stood out for me in that group were Moon, Milli, and PacMan.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

Also, she's friends with Mos Wanted Crew member Brian Puspos (who, by the way, used to be on So Real Cru). Not shocked that her scales have already been tipped. It's still kind of embarrassing to see her try to trash the other crews, though.

Elektrolytes had my favorite performance of the night, but I'm also a sucker for storytelling. Fanny Pak had my second favorite. I do think it's a bit of hypocrisy that the judges are completely okay with Mos Wanted Crew (quickly turning into Mos Overrated Crew for me) trying to be sexy and supporting it, but Irratik gets called out on it.

When I think about it, yes, Chachi is a bit overrated. The ones that stood out for me in that group were Moon, Milli, and PacMan.

Haha, yeah. Because of SYTYCD, I tend to see that crew as "PHILIP CHBEEB! and the rest."

JackieG

JackieG

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

It still bewilders me how Fanny Pak continues to be in the bottom though.

I rarely post but it could be like me and my friends. We love Fanny Pak but feel they already had their chance. I rather see other crews get further, especially this year since I think all of them are great since they do not rely on only stunts. I love seeing more movement with this year's crews and do not want any of them sent home.

beetlesoda

beetlesoda

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

RNG!!! Wow, such an underrated crew and I admit I was one of the people who underrated them. I guess it's because as good as they are, no as amazing as they are, I just haven't connected with them. There are few crews I would pay to see and actually follow after the show (Jabbawockeez, Quest,Beatfreaks, and now 8Flavahs) but they're not one of them. I don't know if it's because I feel there's no charisma, or the fact that they're not hyped up enough. But I think slowly but surly RNG might be added to that list. Dare I say one of the best perfornace of the season for me next to Vogue and MWC first performance.

Still I won't be mad if they win, not at all. They don't belong in the bottom at all and this is where the fan bases of certain crews *cough* most wanted *cough* suck the life out of this show. I applaud RNG for fighting every week and pretty much telling America to kiss their you know what.

Most Wanted...no comment. I think the judges already said it. I guess I just had high expectations for them...and honestly I don't get what is so cute about that Ian guy, there's better looking guys in the group. To each his own I guess.

Electrolytes (I probably bombed their name) are so forgettable to me.

My girls 8 Flavahz didn't have their best performance but I love how diverse they are. I love their storytelling this week...dare I say it reminded me of Fanny pack. It was a good performance, and these young girls are creative and so athletic, wow. And hell yeah to them beating IB in that dance off, Tamara shut it down.

I'm sorry but I totally get when the judges say RNG had the best performance of the night, but I disagree with Fanny Pack and I think the show should just let them go. I think I'm over them, had they came back earlier it would be different but now it's too late, America's obviously over them and it's not the same. RNG won that battle and for some reason Fanny Pack got lucky. I think they're going to be in the bottom again next week.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

RNG, that was a good performance for them. They did have the best challenge but to me they really lack charisma. They showed one of the girls during their practice and I hadn't even noticed her before. The girls just don't stand out, aside from the tall asian one and the one with the sides of her head shaved.
I liked fanny pak much better. Mos wanted and Elektrolytes were clearly the worst. 8 Flavahz continues to be top 2 to me.