America's Best Dance Crew

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3656 replies to this topic

anna13bella

anna13bella

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Fanny Pak is officially back...well kind of.

Phil is gone, and they've added 3 new guys, but everyone looks great. Excited to have a reason to watch ABDC again.

http://i.imgur.com/U7doo.jpg

Rayver3080

Rayver3080

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Anyone excited, ABDC starts tomorrow. Personally, I think its the best dance reality show on tv. Britney week with 5 crews tomorrow. Here's a clip of the opening group dance:

My link

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

I don't know if I like this new fanny fak. Is that really Tiffani on the far left? she looks different and the three new guys look annoying.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Is that really Tiffani on the far left? she looks different and the three new guys look annoying.

Different person, the site says Natalie Gilmore.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Fanny Park was good as usual. I surprisingly liked both all girl crews. Expected 8 flavahz to be Iconic boys in girl form but they were much better dancers.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I agree that 8 Flavaz were much better dancers than Iconic Boys. The problem I had with the boys last season was that only one or two of them stood out as really interesting dancers and the rest were okay. The girls kept my attention because nearly every group member brought something interesting to the performance.

I was happy that the right group was sent to the bottom.

So far I like the Stepboys because I do love comedy hip hop (Jabba does the same thing in their performances at times). But I do agree with JC in that they better prove they are more than just gags.

Does anyone know the reason why two original Fanny Pak members are not performing with this year's group? I saw Tiffani in the audience with the other male group member, sorry I forgot his name.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

The Fanny Pak website says that Tiffsni is not performing because she's pursuing a masters and doctorate at Northridge. I don't know why Phil is no longer with the group.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I Was happy with this round. The right people, imo, were kept and selected to go. I do not claim any expertise on authentic hip hop dancing.

Anyway..I like 8 Flavaz. Even during the initial group dance I went "Wow, that really colorful girl group seems great", then they did amazing in their separate performance.

*pearl clutching section* Who the hell gave the little girls "Three" as their song!? "Til' the World Ends" would have been a better one. I get that kids are exposed to a variety of things, I am not a book banner, and I did take issue with a few of the songs Iconic Boyz were given as well etc. etc. But some adult should have taken a extra second to think.

Edited by monty9, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

*pearl clutching section* Who the hell gave the little girls "Three" as their song!? "Til' the World Ends" would have been a better one. I get that kids are exposed to a variety of things, I am not a book banner, and I did take issue with a few of the songs Iconic Boyz were given as well etc. etc. But some adult should have taken a extra second to think.

All of this!

I'm not overly uptight about such a thing as shown by the fact I was watching it with my teen, but she even questioned the choice of song...."Um Mom, why do they have them dancing to "Three"?" From a 14-year old, no less.

However, I really did love their routine. There was so much complexity to it....the part where the girl was doing the head jacks? Awesome!

Edited by iggystar, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I didn't like Irratik, they were too much T&A, & I hate when girl groups use that instead of good dancing. I was glad when JC called them out on it, but I did think D-Trix was really funny when he was talking about them. I also hated their costumes. I thought 8 Flavahz were adorable, & better dancers than Irratik. Also, no T&A but of course they're not really old enough to have any T&A, so I guess I can't really count that :-)

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:28 AM.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

8 flavahz were even more impressive on second viewing, especially in the opening dance number where they completely stood out.
They are like a tiny and un-skanky version of Fly Khicks but WAY better.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

The judges saved the crews in the exact order I would have. Fanny Pak was solid and fun as usual, but 8Flavahz would have stolen the entire show otherwise. They stood out in the opening number and also managed to take a tacky song choice ("3") and make it completely their own. Irratik's choreography was a sexier version of Blueprint's, also very thoughtful and intricate. But the road has been tough for foreign crews and all-female crews in terms of getting audience votes. If they wound up in the bottom two early on, I would not be shocked.

Stepboys... oy. I got pretty sick of Poreotix's unfunny antics and I have a feeling I'm going to dislike these guys even more. However, they did have a few cool tricks up their sleeve and I do understand how their need to purely entertain fulfills a certain ABDC niche. Mix'd Elements seemed to have a lot more potential and seem like better all-around dancers than Stepboys, but that routine really lacked polish that the other crews have demonstrated. Good thing they're getting a second chance, though.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Stepboys... oy. I got pretty sick of Poreotix's unfunny antics and I have a feeling I'm going to dislike these guys even more. However, they did have a few cool tricks up their sleeve and I do understand how their need to purely entertain fulfills a certain ABDC niche.

The judges came down on them pretty hard for that very thing, so hopefully they'll step it up a bit. I've seen them do routines that barely even had a comedic element, so I think they can do it if they all agree that that's how they want to proceed. (I also thought the Mix'd Elements routine had more raw potential, but something about it just seemed a bit loose and sloppy, like it just wasn't as tight as it needed to be to actually live up to that potential.)

That said, I know nothing about dancing whatsoever and am only watching to support Stepboys, since I have a friend in that crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if the teenage girl crew wipes the floor with everyone, though...

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I won't lie, I was so excited to see Fanny Pak back. They have such a distinct style that I love watching. 8 Flavahz were fantastic though; I like them soo much better than Iconic Boyz from last season.

I wasn't feeling Irratik all that much though - I realize some moves were supposed to look chaotic, but I thought it looked messy sometimes. I did like their part in the opening number though. Also, I was actually surprised they sent Mixed Elements to the bottom instead of Stepboys - at least Mixed Elements had slightly better choreography.

I noticed that they didn't repeat any Britney songs from the last time they did the Britney challenge in season 3. I wonder if they're going to have anyone do "Right Round" next week - I hope not, since the finale dance from Quest/Strikers All Star/Dynamic Edition is one of my all time favorites and nothing could hold a candle to it. That's actually what I miss the most about not having Shane on the show - his choreography in the group dances were always amazing.

PauloOdbelis

PauloOdbelis

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

I noticed that they didn't repeat any Britney songs from the last time they did the Britney challenge in season 3.

ABDC has done a great job overall avoiding repeats. However, Fanny Pak wasn't the first crew to dance to Womanizer. Beat Freaks's Britney routine in Season 3 was the first, though the remixes used were quite a bit different. IMO it's a credit to both crews for coming up with such different interpretations to different remixes of the same song, it didn't even seem like they danced to the same source material.

Fanny Pak was my favorite from the first episode, followed closely by 8 Flavahs. Mix'd Elements was the biggest disappointment, but IMO the judges were wrong to save Stepboys over them.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the second group of crews. I liked Mos Wanted and Collision (? I think that was their name), but the rest were pretty meh to me. I liked 8 Flavahz A LOT better than the other kid crew (can't remember their name either). Even when they were showing the slo-mos saying their choreography was clean, I thought it was messy and clearly out of sync in some areas.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I agree, it seems like they put the more exciting crews in the premiere last week and decided to put the " meh" crews this week because they had Flo Rida and the dance battle as well.
I do not get how the mexican crew survived the battle, I thought they were clearly out danced.

Purplex15

Purplex15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

I thought Mix'd elements were so much better in the battle. Funkdations had some awesome moves in their second bit, but ME were great through the whole routine.

Collizion and Mos Wanted were really fun to watch, though I preferred MW.
Whichever group who had the gymnast girl (i believe it was Funkdations) was my biggest disapointment of the nightt. They looked awesome in the pre-footage, but did not do that great.
Lil Momma must be getting paid everytime she says "dope". She remains as incoherent as ever (although, the wardrobe has greatly improved!). D-trix is still pretty useless, and JC is still awesome.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Mos Wanted - Lawd have mercy! I LOVE THEM!!!!! That Ricky can smile at me all day long. There is another one that I have a little crush on but I didn't know his name. LOL! They dance like it's easy doing. No sweat. I rewatched their routine 4 times already.

Fanny Pack - Glad they are back. I didn't see their whole season but what I saw of them I loved. Tonight was no different. They are so creative in their choreography and the men in the heels still getting it! Love!

8 Flavahz (sp?) - Lil Mama is right... WERK!! Those girls did the damn thing. Between them, Mos Wanted, and Fanny Pack, I am loving this show.

Glad that Collizion (sp?) got thru - Go ATL! Rated Next Generation is good too. Don't remember anybody else, really, but I'm loving this season. Loved Lil Mama and D-Trix tonight too. Good critiques with humor. JC is his norm. Always has helpful critique but doesn't have the same charm as Dominic...but then again, who does?

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

8 Flavahs shocked me tonight, in a good way. They killed Vogue, It was even better than we are heroes version.

Loqi

Loqi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

8 flavahs is the best all-female group to date. Their routine was perfect! Strong showing from the other crews too. I wasn't that impressed with Fanny Pak - I thought they'd blow this out of the park but it was so so.
This is going to be a great season.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

I thought Mix'd elements were so much better in the battle. Funkdations had some awesome moves in their second bit, but ME were great through the whole routine.

I felt like Funkdation utilized all of their stage time efficiently and were much more aggressive. It's not that Mix'd Elements danced badly, but I felt like there was too much "dead time" with them setting up their tricks and/or waiting for the other crew to move out of the way, whereas Funkdation used every spare second to aggressively show what they could do.

8 Flavahs were definitely amazing with the Madonna routine, though. Even just watching them prep for their routine was exciting, and then actually seeing it all put together... I might have squealed a little.

I was also glad that the Atlanta crew was kept. I found it a bit annoying that Irratik decided to ignore the suggestion that they focus a bit less on their sex appeal, so I wasn't sad to see them go.

And speaking of sex appeal, I don't know whose idea it was to give high school kids the most sexually charged song/choreography, but I was a little creeped out watching them watch the video. I'm glad they underplayed the sexual element in their actual performance, though.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I'm loving 8 Flavahz & Rated Next Generation. I wonder why they did a double elimination so early in the contest? You would think that was something they would hold off on until later in the season.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Well, I'm disappointed in the results, because it means that for three seasons straight, America votes the foreign crews into the bottom (Blueprint, Request, Funkdation & Irratik) instead of the crews that really ought to be there (Iconic Boyz, Stepboys). I'm not a huge fan of Funkdation or Irratik and they weren't near the best, but it's this constant trend that irks me.

It seems like Mos Wanted Crew and Fanny Pak are most likely to get the crown, but 8 Flavahz is putting up a strong fight. I wouldn't be surprised if any of those crews makes it to the end without ever being in the bottom. I thought Collizion would have been a strong contender as well, but already being short on votes leaves them in a precarious position.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

Jubi

8 Flavahs were definitely amazing with the Madonna routine, though. Even just watching them prep for their routine was exciting, and then actually seeing it all put together... I might have squealed a little.

I know! I am firmly in the fan club for this group. I loved the "We're on a diet this week. No sweet." The other teams (granted highly prompted by the producers) featured the "One member of our team can't do the moves! Oh nooooes! What will we do?" in their prep segment. But they were pure awesomeness.

I was also glad that the Atlanta crew was kept. I found it a bit annoying that Irratik decided to ignore the suggestion that they focus a bit less on their sex appeal, so I wasn't sad to see them go.

I think the Atlanta crew, the green sweat wearing group and the steampunk wearing group are undercutting each other with votes right now unfortunately because they are all male crews, some stunts, but really interesting choreography. Evidenced by the fact that I don't know their names right now. That is how Stepboys and Rated Next Generation escaped the bottom 3.

As for Irratik, I understand that sexy is hard to avoid with Madonna but you went out in your bras? Really? After being warned about being a one-trick sexy pony? Never thought I ever write anything like that last sentence.

Edited by monty9, Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:21 AM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

As for Irratik, I understand that sexy is hard to avoid with Madonna but you went out in your bras? Really? After being warned about being a one-trick sexy pony?

This brings up something I've wondered about, who picks the costumes? I'm assuming the show supplies them, but how much say do the teams actually have in how they look? Could have Irratik said "we're not wearing those, give us something else", or do they have to wear what they're told to? I've seen some really bad costumes on this show, so I wonder who's fault it is.

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

Impish Dragon

Impish Dragon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

8 flavahs is the best all-female group to date. Their routine was perfect!

I respectfully disagree. Beat Freaks takes it in my opinion. But 8 Flavahs was good in their routine. Stepboys should have been in the bottom. All in all, ok show.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

As for Irratik, I understand that sexy is hard to avoid with Madonna but you went out in your bras? Really? After being warned about being a one-trick sexy pony? Never thought I ever write anything like that last sentence.

I know! I was hoping that JC was going to be the one to address them, because after all the judges made a point of telling other crews they were happy they took the judges advice, Irratik was the one group that actively didn't. I kind of wanted to see JC's face after they mouthed "look at me" and mocked the poses he referenced in his critique last week at the end of the irroutine - something tells me he don't appreciate that.

I hope Stepboys are gone next week; their choreo is still weak and they aren't that funny. I'm actually surprised D-Trix used to dance with them, since I consider him a much better dancer than any of those guys.

Fanny Pak is awesome as always, but 8 Flavaz is going to give them a run for their money. They were hands down my favorite crew of the night. Rated Next Generation grew on me this week, as did Mos Wanted Crew.

Edited by bparhad, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:37 PM.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

8 Flavahz dance was even better on second viewing. As good as anything Beatfreaks ever did. Beatfreaks had a ton of clunker performances (the pretty fly for a white guy dance comes to mind ) and IMO the only great one was the magic ball one.
If 8 Flavahz pulls more dances like this week, they will be the best all girl crew IMO.

Then again this is coming from someone who never really warmed up to the Beat freaks and ended up voting and cheering for the Fly Khicks over them ( i just thought they were more entertaining).

Edited by blaase, Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:12 PM.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I admit that when I saw the kids, I had a flashback to Iconic boyz and I groaned. I was pretty much eating crow after that Vogue performance. Pirouettes, splits, tutting, vogueing, flips. Damn.