America's Best Dance Crew

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3656 replies to this topic

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 1:50 AM

Couldn't find a topic for this MTV show. Anybody watching?

So far I've just seen the semi-finals. I have to say that the judges are very inconsistent, and both the decisions on who was chosen to compete in LA and who advanced to the finals are questionable. Those girls from the Midwest were laaaame. The NJ crew wasn't much better.

eta:
The dance off was wack. The roller-skating crew was a one-note gimic. I can't stand when shows like this leave voting to the audience when said audience has no qualifications to judge (just full of friends, family members, tourists, and Central Casting extras??). So 8 teams were selected by "expert" judges, then 1 of the four loser crews get selected by the crowd to join the "expertly-selected" 8?

Randy Jackson being EP explains a lot.

Edited by rabal, Jan 28, 2008 @ 2:09 AM.

Keona

Keona

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 5:17 AM

I caught this show last night, didn't even realize it was going to start so soon since I only saw a few mentions of it on TV guide a couple weeks ago. I do agree that the judging seems all over the place, at least JC Chasez and sometimes Shane Sparks gave constructive criticism. That other judge, can't remember her name, was terrible. She seemed to praise everyone and didn't really add anything to the show. I really hope she isn't on the judging panel every week.

I still don't understand what this show is about though, there were no rules explanations or anything unless I missed it. Is there a voting process or do the judges pick who goes through every week? I will say that this show has potential though, and I think it's a step above "Dance Wars".

Cammyd

Cammyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

Those girls from the Midwest were laaaame.

I couldn't believe they were picked to move on. I didn't see anything special about them just the typical "Britney" style dancing. I think it was fixed and they were trying to get some all-girl groups in. When Shane said "I can't say anything bad" about the group, they should have let him finish. He probably would have added, "I don't see anything good with the group either".

Edited by Cammyd, Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:03 PM.

travelerkaty

travelerkaty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 10:25 AM

I decided while watching this that there must be rules or expectations in crew dancing that I don't understand, since I kept thinking 'oh, that's by far the best team in that region' and then that team would be eliminated.

I also wondered about that last West coast team that was accepted ( the Asian one). I thought they were fabulous, and the judges seemed to as well, but when they did their little ceremony, that team was left with the losers until the end, rather than being the first to get moved to the finals. Why slobber over them and tell them they were the best of the night if you're going to score them lower than two other groups in the region? It seemed weird, even from a reality TV perspective. They got such great reviews, there didn't seem to be that much question that they would win over that other team, so why not put a more marginal team in that slot?

GeminiDancer

GeminiDancer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 11:15 AM

I think the skating group was added back in due to the fact that the judges made a HUGE mistake in putting the Diet Britneys through. Their actual dance was far better than the dance off, and the fact that they weren't sent in originally was a big WTF.

laprin

laprin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

I think I am going to enjoy this show unless the judging ruins it for me. Thank goodness the audience helped push the roller-bladers through. It would have been a travesty if they had not made it.

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

I enjoyed the audition special. I thought that the last two crews were the best, with an honorable mention for first three team (east coasters).

I loved the female krump team. They were awesome, as were the the last team with all the amazing body isolations.

This show has a lot of potential and as long as the teams push themselves and don't put out the same routine every week, it should be a decent show. So far, it seems worth investing some time in.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 3:38 PM

I think the roller bladers were way overrated. The skates add a type of fluidity to movement but the problem I see is that I've seen a lot of dancers have fluid movement without skates. I don't hate those skaters, I just don't see what's so great about them. Also those kids with ghost face masks were freakin' amazing.

Edited by reinoe, Jan 28, 2008 @ 4:19 PM.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 5:06 PM

I'm so glad that there is a thread for this show. I think it will fill the void that "So You Think You Can Dance" has left. I tried to watch the Brunco/Carrie Ann show, but it was blah. This show has a lot of potential- I love Shane Sparks (but can do without Lil Mama). I just hope they can get the judging to be a bit more consistent.

I HATED the 1st all-girl group. I think they were just chosen because there weren't any all female groups yet. I thought the team with the masks were outstanding, as was the last team and the female krump group. I also enjoyed the Live in Color group from Miami. I could have taken or left the roller skating group. I can't wait for the season to begin!

quack

quack

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2008 @ 5:00 PM

I watched the semifinals of this today and was kind of disappointed. There were definitely some amazing dancers, but aside from "your synchronization was off" the judges didn't really tell us what was good or bad about any group. It all seemed to be personal preference and the judges' split-second whims. If the actual show is so unstructured and there's no actual criteria for judging, I don't know that I'll keep watching. I enjoy Shane Sparks, but Lil' Mama is just plain annoying.

truconfession

truconfession

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2008 @ 7:36 PM

I was very impressed by the dances of most of the crews. The ones on my shit list were the group with all purple(the one with the chick Bonita) and Femme5. The purple group had to much confidence and couldn't back it up IMO which I didn't like. But the judges made the biggest mistake with Feeme5. Words cant express how upset I was that they made it, it was so undeserved. If Feeme5 and Fish N' Chick (who I absolutely loved) ever have a head to head, Femme5 will be killed. I love what someone said up thread about them being Diet Britney. LOL. There moves were easy and I've seen better at jr. high talent shows. Gosh I could go on and on about them.

Anyway's... Loved the mask group, the gun group(last one), Fish N' chick and the colorful group. Those are the four teams I will be rooting for. If Femme5 beats any other group I will know something is up because they shouldn't be there in the first place. Cant wait till the 7th when the show really begins.

Oh, one more thing. Two words...Lil Mama. That chick was driving me crazy, and the horrid pink lipstick wasn't helping. She was talking over and during the other judges time to speak. She just always had something to say, which gave me a few choice for her when I watched. JC I liked because he seem more level headed and Shane I liked as well but sometimes he can irk me. I hope the judges give more criticism though, I would actually like them to say things they did wrong and what could be improved instead of loving everyone. (I'm looking at you Lil Mama)

shazzbutter

shazzbutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

I caught Femme 5 in between naps today and I was blown away! Their outfits were super-cute and the dance was just... not something I'd expect from a girl dance troupe. F5 FTW!

cmkrcwi

cmkrcwi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 2:51 AM

Wasn't the group with the masks - I believe their name was Jabberwocky -- also on "America's Got Talent" last year?

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

I think it says something about the level of talent and observation of your judged when one(Lil Mama) says your transitions are hot and the other(Shane the choreographer) says your transitions are wack and slow.

Somebody's hella wrong, and I'd put it on the one with pink lipgloss on.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 6:17 PM

I just read Lil' Mama's bio on the official site and it looks like she has absolutely no dance credentials to speak of. If I missed something please let me know because I've been known to miss really obvious stuff.

ETA: I just re-read her bio and it looks like she has ALMOST NO DANCE CREDENTIALS. Still Marty Kudelka, Dave Scott weren't available? Damn I would even settle Cicely or Olisa.

Edited by reinoe, Jan 30, 2008 @ 6:22 PM.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 7:10 PM

Loved the mask group, the gun group(last one), Fish N' chick and the colorful group. Those are the four teams I will be rooting for.

Add me to this list. They were wonderful. Femme 5 sucked. I didn't see anything special.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 7:26 PM

Am I the only one who snickered like a 12 year old when the group Fish N Chick announced their name? I thought someone would make a snarky comment about fish smell.... Just me? Ok, I'll sit down now.

Trave

Trave

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 7:38 PM

The asian group (modern kabura? Something like that...) was the absolute best, followed by jabberwocky. They were amazing, which I didn't really expect. The others were rather blah and seen-before, with flips and whatnot. I like originality. And do we need to be reminded that one of the judges is a choreographer during every judging? If I here, "Me, as a choreographer myself ..." one more time, I will throw something at my TV.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 10:34 AM

I have an update on the Lil' Mama disaster according to a press release from Jan. 16...

Live Casting Showdown on Saturday, January 26 at 2 p.m. ET/PT To Reveal Top Eight Dance Crews To Compete Weekly

Mario Lopez to Host, JC Chasez and Shane Sparks to Judge and America to Decide

There's no mention of Lil' Mama in the release. I think she's going to be either a guest judge or she was a last minute addition.

Trave wrote:
And do we need to be reminded that one of the judges is a choreographer during every judging? If I here, "Me, as a choreographer myself ..." one more time, I will throw something at my TV.

He's probably doing that to remind the viewers that he knows what he's talking about as opposed to That Person he sits next to.

Edited by reinoe, Jan 31, 2008 @ 10:36 AM.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

I guess Lil Mama is on there because she's an ok dancer and actually moves in her videos rather than just standing around.

Lil Mama Video (G-Slide)

Lil Mama Video- Lip Gloss

Other than that, she has no credentials. But does JC have dance credentials either, other than being in a boy band and having to learn complicated choreography? That being said, I like him a lot better than Lil Mama- he seems to have constructive comments and actually makes sense when he speaks.

phaballa

phaballa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

I think JC's credentials re: dancing are that he's danced professionally since he was 14 and worked with a lot of top choreographers--Wade Robeson, Darrin Henson, etc. And he's a good dancer, at least. He's danced in a lot more than one video about lip gloss. *cough*

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

Two songs! One about lip gloss, one about doing the g-slide! I'm not sure, but she may have danced on the Girlfriend remix (Averil Lavigne).

Yep, she did:Girlfriend remix video

But be sure- I am NOT a Lil Mama fan, I'm just trying to understand the logic of putting her on the panel as a judge.

Marchpane

Marchpane

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 11:48 PM

I can't complain too much about Lil Mama because I am already loving this show. Loved the last Asian group, Fish'n'Chicks (HORRIBLE NAME), Jabberwocky, the colorful group - and I wasn't surprised they put through Femme5 or whatever, because I know they probably felt they needed more than one all female group to kind of equalize the sexes a bit more. . . the skating group was gimmicky but enjoyable to watch. "Enjoyable to watch" is all I ask for . . . and that Bruno vs Carrie Ann thing was rather unwatchable for me for some reason . . .

Sweetxcape

Sweetxcape

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 9:31 AM

Just watching the rerun of the show - In the very first crew from the east shown ( Status quo) - there was a goofy, campy big guy who I swear was the same guy who was on So You Think You Can Dance Auditions last summer. The guy on SYTYCD was equally campy and Nigel made him learn a swing dance routine ( which he performed with another male, lol). Anyone else recognize?

Edited by Sweetxcape, Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:58 AM.

Realitywannabe

Realitywannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:51 AM

I thought I was the only one who recognized him! I definitely thought he was the same guy from SYTYCD. I don't remember his name, however. I'm glad that someone else saw it too.

Kio

Kio

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

I noticed him too, and in the group Full Out, the black guy is named Chris and he was on making the band 4. He was the guy that could dance real good but couldnt sing.

Awau1957

Awau1957

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

You guys are correct about the heavy guy from the first crew being on SYTYCD. The lead man from his crew Enoch ( the one with the braids that was doing all the flips) was also featured as his swing dance partner.

In agreement about Femme5 they suck, have zero originality and need to get off my televison.

Also of interest was the group Full Force?Effect? who got cut. They had another reality tv alumnus Chris from MTB4. In the group he was the one that had the bandana across half of his face. Maybe out of embarassment perhaps? He was the one Shane was calling out on messing up during their routine. On MTB he was the one boomkat called a good dancer but he had a terrible thin voice yet managed to stick around through a few cuts.

All in all this should be an interesting show provided the judging reaches some level of consistancy.

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 4:03 PM

Wasn't Femme 5 the group that looked like a cross between wannabe Mean Girls and extras from Bring It On? They didn't impress me.

6minute

6minute

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

Femme5 needs to seriously re-think those short-shorts. Just sayin. It's not a flattering look for everyone (read: every one of THEM).

shazzbutter

shazzbutter

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

Okay, I would like to retract my previous statement about Femme 5... not so good. I would like to throw all my support to JabbaWockeez (retarded spelling, aside). I was skeptical about the masks but they were certainly effective in highlighting the dance and each member's strengths. And it was kind of like performance art and less about MTV style dancing. I am impressed.

Also Liked Fysh 'N Chicks and Kaba Modern. Can't wait for this show to start! *LOVE LOVE LOVE The Warriors type commercials*

Edited by shazzbutter, Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:41 PM.