1-3: "Working Together on Camera and Catwalk" 2008.01.24 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

AuntMizbehavn

AuntMizbehavn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:39 PM

WOW!!!!!

This episode made me squirm (in a totally goooood way). Teh hotness!! I was really pleasantly surprised by the chemistry between Ben and Katy. As much as I love Ben, neither he nor Katy up to this point have exactly been setting the woods on fire personality-wise in either the photo shoots or the catwalks. Perry and Casey....YUM. [small voice] I'd kinda like to be in the middle of that sandwich. [/small voice]

Ronnie and Shannon were amazing. I loved how Ronnie said it surprised him how much he got into it and how he wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as he did.

Poor Holly kept looking at Frankie like he was going to give her some sort of STD just by being in the same room with her.

And Frankie...honey, just because Dom left doesn't mean you need to take up the douche bag.

I think it's interesting that Ronnie and Ben's room seems to be the one where everyone wants to hang out. Says quite a bit about those two, I think.

Somewhat humorous is that fact that my hubby has awakened two weeks in a row to the shots of people strutting down the catwalk in fetish wear. He is now a bit concerned about my viewing habits. LOL

Haylo

Haylo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

I'm actually glad they aren't making this easy on them and sugarcoating things ala ANTM. To me Tyra's show goes out of it's way to make things bubbly and candy-coated. I don't ever believe the photo shoots even though occasionally a high fashion shot will come out of the candy shoots. In contrast, i've seen shoots just like this fetish/makeout sessions in fashion mags. Like the man said Sex sells and everyone's buying.

kbkysun

kbkysun

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

Frankie is a major douche. HUGE douche.

He seriously needs to shut the fuck up.

And now Dom's shoes are to small, the evil bitch in me sort of wishes he didn't go and then was put in the all male group.

Megamir

Megamir

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

Was anyone else bothered when Holly pronounced the word "expecially"? Just me?

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:46 PM

I was beginning to wonder why Jay wasn't shown as much in the episodes as other models, but now I see. He is dull as rocks. His look is dull. His personality is dull. Even his voice is dull.

No, rocks are much more interesting. And no one would "stay black" if he was their only encounter. Please let him exit the building, he is not even close to being a supermodel.

Aryn is suspect. Wasn't she the one that lost an inch last week and said she was running like crazy. And today she gets winded from jumping rope. Hmm...

Oh Ben...if you could see yourself on TV. They hit the nail on the head with Frankie, he does have a Fabio thing going on. Very weird, definitely not sexy. But he is all kinds of funny, I am glad he's sticking around just for comedy.

monef

monef

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

I can't really feel too badly for Ronnie at least as far as Ben's treatment of him is concerned. He knows Ben is married. If he's sincerely going after a married guy I can't feel too much pity for him, especially when he knows Ben's wife is watching. And I agree his confessional was in poor taste.

I think it's difficult to have a crush on a person you can't have and to that extent I feel for him. But I don't think Ben is using him or tricking him when Ronnie knows the situation.

So much word to this. As much as I love Ronnie, he needs to snap back to reality. Ben is responding to his flirtations, but they raelly are just firtations at this stage. Ronnie on the other hand seems to be having an entire relationship in his head. If he gets hurt, then that is on him becuase he knows full well dude is married. I don't really see how Ben can tell him to back off with out joining Franke as the douchebag - du-jour. the best solution would be for Ronnie to dial it back to some innocent flirting that we can all enjoy.

Holly surprised me,and not in a good way. Maybe she lost all her mojo when they cut her hair off. Yeah Frankie is gross, but she really needs to get over herself. Aryn needs to eat more, she practically fainted during the workout, and if those other twigs can hack it, I don't see why she can't.

victory

victory

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Aryn is suspect. Wasn't she the one that lost an inch last week and said she was running like crazy. And today she gets winded from jumping rope. Hmm...

The only running it looks like she's been doing is to the toilet to purge her meals. No way this girl is losing weight from working out.

truecrystal

truecrystal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Frankie is easily the worst looking guy IMO, aside from his grating personality. I have no idea what everyone else sees in him.

Me either. I keep looking at him and the only thing I see that even makes him remotely attractive is that hair of his. Problem is, the hair is the second worst thing about him, number one being that shit stirring, god's gift in his own mind personality of his.

The whole Ronnie/Ben thing was disturbing and hot, but mostly disturbing - though very, very hot. If Ben wasn't married (and isn't Ronnie in a relationship too?), it wouldn't bother me at all. They're young, shit happens, they'll deal and learn. But it's obvious that Ben's wife is having a hard enough time being away from him, so him being so physically close off-set with Aryn and Ronnie is going to be hard for her. It's inappropriate behavior for *all* of them given the situation. And yet, very, very hot.

Perry's walk is sex and he and Casey were fucking amazing together. I always liked Perry's look but this photo shoot made me realize how really attractive Casey is as well.

Bye bye Jay!

Edited by truecrystal, Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:55 PM.

AddictedToTV

AddictedToTV

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:54 PM

I always liked Perry's look but this photo shoot made me realize how really attractive Casey is as well.

Major word. Casey has sort of flown under the radar for me, but tonight, I totally saw it.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:56 PM

Dominic continued to serve the whine but still managed to leave plenty of bottles for Holly to crack open. Frankie was a dick, but he clearly was trying in the photoshoot. Holly looked like she was auditioning for CSI. And the crying? Don't pull that shit and then weep for the cameras and sympathy. As much as the other two suck as models and Holly is one of the better candidates, I actually hope she gets to take the empty bottles of whine Dom left her and join him in the recycle bin.

Oh Arryn, you poor deluded fool. You don't need to worry about this whole thing changing your life all that much. Oh Landon, you poor deluded fool.. RUN!!!!

Actually any of the bottom three can go.

Ben really did well this week and actually looked like a model. And on the catwalk as well. As magnificent as Tyson's walk is, it is still a fuck-me walk and many fo the designers don't like that any more. Or only tolerate it or want in specific theme'd shows or with just certain models. There were plenty of boys walking down the runways in Milan during the recent shows that walked pretty much like Ben did. It's not all "Here's My Balls" strutting in the male fashion world. Ronnie still has the best walk by far in terms of what is out there right now.

And Tyson? We have a bit of this season to go so you can ration the whole "I like vaginas...on women...on hot young women...on hot young women that aren't men." We get it already. Relax. Just because you're pretty doesn't make anyone think you are gay.

That female judge needs to just blow Perry and get it out her system already. He could scratch his ass and pick his nose on the runway and she would squeal about how daring and out there he is.

I actually thought the only one that did well in the same sex photoshoots was the blonde. She actually seemed to get that when same sex people kiss and get sexual, we don't play Deathcamp Twister. We' don't always looks like the apparently new Cirque du Soleil show paying homage to the works of Tom of Finland. Some of us like hot steamy sex that is fun, sensual and initimate and love to see it represented in photos of the same nature without looking like a Homoerotic Professional Wrestling Ad. Ugh. It didn't help that I really don't care for any fo the four, but the pictures looked pretend, forced and rather clueless. There was no sense of true attraction so much as simple playacting. The same cannot be said for Ronnie and Shannon. They managed intensity and intimacy. I think Ben did the third best as his eyes simply ate up the lense in some of those shots. Katy looked in the moment but sadly the moment as masturbation. She looked like she was enjoying herself alright. She looked like she was enjoying herself. Still it was a huge improvement over her wide-eyed corpse look.

And overall most the women on this show come off as rather dull and simple. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they just present themselves when in the candid moments like Celebrity Jeopardy would give them a headache. Or having a conversation would give me a headache. Shannon seems the only one that you might be able to get a sentence out of that could lead to a continuation of a topic. Most of the guys aren't much better, but they seem way more comfortable with themselves and as if they have done more than read a three year old issue of People at the nail salon.

And is it because the show itself seems to desperately trying to capture BRAVO's almost trite now, homosexual audience that a group of fashion industry insiders would actually gush that a straight man posing as part of a homosexual couple is brave and real and somehow just simply incredible and jawdroppingly supermodelish? Please. I mean I get it that Tyson would because no way would he get anywhere stuff like that. But the two judges that are Tyson or Taylor were acting like it was something the never see. Never mind that unlike, say, runway walking training, its not like when an agency hires a straight male model they send him "how to kiss a dude" classes before they send him to a D-Squared photoshoot or a Rufskin leather and denim photoshoot. I actually think Perry and Casey did okay. As two straight guys pretending rather blatantly to be "gay" in their shoot, but I have to take a little exception to the judges analysis of their pictures because not only didn't they sell it to me, but they also seemed to take their fears and discomfort and translate it into some that was overthetop and downright silly at times. Why on earth wouldn't they approach the shoot with the same sense of how they would have with a woman? Not that one would have to be the "woman" (a gross generalization right there that I'm glad the two guys skirted...for the most part), but simply treat the body they are in bd with with the same attraction and sensuality and sexuality as they would have with a woman. Pathetic.

However, Casey and Perry did soooo much better in their walk than the two women did. I could have taken a picture of Madonna in her cone braw and dominatrix braid, photoshopped that into the pic of her kissing Spears and I would had the same amount of heat and high fashion. Though nothing could be as bad as Holly's necrophiliac or Jay and Arryn's photoshoot that somehow managed to combine vegetative state and constipated discomfort.

Miss Sargent

Miss Sargent

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 11:58 PM

I totally can't relate to Amerrricuh's Katy love...I think she has a large, heavy-looking face. Combined with her podunk accent and aw-shucks earnestness, I feel like maybe many viewers like and relate to her expressly because she's so un-supermodel-esque. She looks more like the neighbor girl, not in a delightfully fresh girl-next-door way, but in an average, mediocre, round-featured way. Then again, I tend to like fragile- and/or exotic-looking female models. I bet she was a chubby little pagent girl in Bama when she was eight or ten, with curling-ironed hair and heavy, creepy makeup.

Perry: a physical type I usually don't find too attractive, but DAMN. Something about him is hott and masculine and sexy. I find myself rooting for him. He seems in control, and he's kind of witty. I have a little crush on him. He and Casey were really cute.

Tyson: Joining the Tyra Banks Ranks in terms of proving that epic beauty, wealth and fame can't save you from embarrassing yourself by coming off like an assy loser who's trying too hard on TV. The way he calls the boys "man" and "bro" (last ep), his prurience about the "lesbian" catwalk show, his evident homophobia--laaaame. He kind of IS Tyra, minus the fivehead--those pretty, pretty features. That naturally well-built body. That lovely mocha latte skin. Those failed attempts to seem competent and/or caring and/or actually cool.

Frankie: Ick. He might be attractive in stills, but he gives off a sleazy vibe. When he was talking about how he's a "very sexual person", why was I picturing him hitting on fourteen-year-old girls outside of Milan nightclubs?

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the women. Jackie has a lovely body (shape and type--she could stand to eat a couple of sandwiches), and Holly has a lovely face. But all-in-all, eh. Meh.

That female judge needs to just blow Perry and get it out her system already. He could scratch his ass and pick his nose on the runway and she would squeal about how daring and out there he is.

Sadly, I'm with that female judge here. And I don't even know why. I'm all, oooh, Perry, you're so....daring.

Edited by Miss Sargent, Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:02 AM.

Imrahil

Imrahil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

I guess maybe I'm one of the few people who does feel somewhat bad for ronnie. It sucks having feelings for someone when (in all likelihood) they don't feel the same way about you. Been there (although there was no groping involved, but there were some mixed signals at the time). As far as having the relationship in your head, that can be very difficult to break out of. Of course that really depends on what is actually going on in Ronnie's head.

And now I'm going back to my own pity party.

polyester

polyester

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:04 AM

Dammit... who's d*ck does Ronnie have to suck to win a damn challenge? No wins and an inevitable broken heart... the boy needs a reality check.

monef

monef

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:07 AM

Actually any of the bottom three can go.

Ha! That is exactly how I feel. I really don't care which of them goes although it should totally be Jay.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

Dammit... who's d*ck does Ronnie have to suck to win a damn challenge?

Didn't he win the challenge right after the make-overs? I might be wrong, but didn't he?

victory

victory

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:12 AM

I really don't care which of them goes although it should totally be Jay.

Jay should have never been put on the show. What a fucking waste. of. time. I guess Tyson couldn't deal with MMAS choosing a black guy that could actually model?

Imrahil

Imrahil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:13 AM

I thought Jackie won that one.

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:13 AM

I can't help but feel a bit protective of Holly for what happened this week. I certainly wish she'd stepped up to it, but it's not like she can't bring the sex at all--I still remember that the first time I ever noticed her was in the audition week when they took the snapshots, and her two person photo was extremely sexy--it was the one that the judges were saying was a D&G shoot ready to go. It's not like she can't touch a partner in a photo without looking uncomfortable, or be photographed in an intimate situation. She's done that already. I think that this photo shoot went a bit past that line, and the way that the photographer went about getting her shots involved an explicit level of faux sex play that was harder core than just about anything you're going to see in even high fashion editorial photography. I don't think it's necessarily the case that being prepared to fellate a banana on cue is a daily requirement of the modeling life that you'd better just get used to or you're never going to get anywhere. It's not like she turned up her nose at the lingerie (I'm looking at you, Jackie). She didn't perform well, but she could have done worse, and I don't believe for a second that she was impaired.

A great number of them were sitting around backstage drinking that champagne, and for Frankie to start blowing that crap around the house, after he was snotting everywhere about the girls being backstabbers, was complete bullshit and I hope he goes down soon. What an ass. He did absolutely nothing to try to make Holly more comfortable in a situation in which she was obviously having trouble--I realize that the judges' statement at the end that a supermodel would have found a way to make it work was pretty much one of those throwaway lines that they make up to say to the odd person out in the bottom four, but in his case I thought it was actually true. An actual professional would have found a way to bridge the dislike and the discomfort and arrive at a workable shoot, and from that perspective I found him just as much of a failure in the shoot as Holly, and more of a failure as a person.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:17 AM

Oh, Ronnie. How Big Brother Dirksunboy needs to take you aside to a really private place and let you benefit from my years of experience: Don't mess with ambigously straight married men! It's a whole lot o' heartache waiting to happen! I can see how this is going to play out; just like most "straight" men who get off on attention from a cute gay guy, Ronnie's going to maybe push a little too much and Ben's going to tell him to back the fuck off. Sigh. Poor Ronnie. Poor Ben's wife!!!

samschoicecola

samschoicecola

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

Some1105 - EXACTLY.
I just signed in to say the same thing. At least Holly did the pictures, not completely refused (Jackie thong fiasco).

I think it's Jay's time to go.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

I still remember that the first time I ever noticed her was in the audition week when they took the snapshots, and her two person photo was extremely sexy--it was the one that the judges were saying was a D&G shoot ready to go.

Yeah, her partner was Frankie in that, too, IIRC.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:21 AM

Dom is gone! :( Yeah, I liked him.

LingPetunia: Could the editors make it any more obvious that they want Aryn to go home? Though she and Jay had no chemistry, they don't despise each other like Holly and Frankie, and she still managed the best picture of the four in danger. I'll comment more later, but I'm rather disgusted by this episode.

To tell you the truth, Jay and Aryn's pictures were my favorite out of the whole bunch. They looked hot, but not trashy. Everything else was just too much.

Frankie looked DAMN hot during the runway. He should wear ponytailes every day!

I hope Ronnie doesn't get his heart broken. He's a sweet kid.

Edited by Mia Nina, Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:21 AM.

bowsit

bowsit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:24 AM

Lookswise I thought Holly has what it takes, but this prudish side worries me, esp IF she got drunk to face it. As someone said upthread, fashion really isn't about sugar coating things ala Tyra. Janice Dickenson's "drop trou" mantra is far closer to the truth. I honestly wonder why people who have certain values pursue modeling and what they expect. Do they expect they will change the industry or that it will change them? It's a shame their shoot didn't go better, it had potential to be the hottest of all....slightly butch androg girl and femmy boy, the gender benders delight. If they could have just pulled it together, they could have really wowed. From what I saw, Frankie DID try to pull his weight, but you can't bridge an abyss. That's what Holly was...lifeless, disgusted by him, freaked out by the challenge, and (maybe) a bit wasted.

As for Ronnie and Ben, my sympathy is w/ Ben. No matter how he handles this situation, he will be in the wrong. He's not responsible for Ronnie's feelings towards him, but only in how he handles it. He can't win in this situation either on the show w/ Ronnie and the others or w/ the viewers. If he rebuffs Ronnie, guaranteed hurt feelings and jerk/homophobe edit. If he's nice to Ronnie, he's led on and still the jerk/homophobe/cheat-on-wife edit. He's screwed going and coming! I don't think either guy means harm, but Ronnie knows the score here. This guy's married...to a woman. If Ronnie pursues this more aggressively, he's asking for hurt feelings not because he's gay, but because he knows the guy's committed elsewhere. Just like gay guys never win for playing straight, straight guys are always the bad guys if a gay guy likes them. ...well at least there's equality SOMEWHERE.

Frankie as Fabio? Tuki Brando more like and that kid is HOT (he's 17...remember just 17....) The girl who said it on the show was probably "juz jealis" that he's better looking than she is. ...I realize he's something of a jerk (edit? teendom?) but let's face it, this guy is SMOKING hot. He's the look of now and that's really all they care about. If Naomi Campbell proves anything, you don't have to do nice to be fierce!

Ronnie constantly amazes me. In motion, he looks like just a boy next door,...nothing special, but wow does the still camera love him! In stills, that puppy-fat-boy-next-door thing vanishes and "the dirty" comes out in his face. That's a HUGE compliment to/from me..."the dirty", it's all about the heat that person gives off. Their sexuality and statement of "I'm here, dammit!".

Aryn...not sure what her deal is, but she looked very bad during the work out. Not lazy or out-of-shape...just ill. I never noticed how thin she was until that segment.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:19 PM.
netspeak

breakingtherulz

breakingtherulz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

I like Ronnie a lot and I kind of think this is his competition to lose but I thought confessing to the camera that Ben told him that if he had a couple of drinks in him, something might happen (or words to that effect) was in really poor taste on his part. If Ben didn't say that on camera, he shouldn't have, in my opinion.

I'd like to think that Ronnie is sincere in his feelings for Ben, but that little speech makes me suspect that he's playing it for the cameras and his story arc. If he really cares for Ben, why would he say something like that when Ben hasn't confirmed or denied it? I don't think it's evil or malicious but it certainly lacked empathy for Ben's situation. Not that Ben seems to be fighting off Ronnie's advances in any way.

I've been a big fan of Casey since the beginning and tonight made me love Perry as well. Their non-angsty manlove is both refreshing and incredibly hot. Stephanie is fast becoming a favorite. She's down for anything and hasn't caused any drama so far. Shannon is also cool and takes awesome photos.

I initially liked Holly and Frankie, it can't be said enough that Baby Fabio needs to STFU and stop being a douche. As for Holly? There's no crying about saving yourself for marriage in modeling. Even Tyra would smack a bitch for that behavior. I can't feel sorry for her.

bowsit

bowsit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 12:56 AM

I must say again that I LOVE Casey....that boy has a mug on him! Funny thing, I don't think any of the girls have a real shot at winning this, but there are like 3-4 boys I see as real contenders. Casey is at the top of my list. Even if he and a few more lose, they'll be picked up by other agencies I think.

Krispy24

Krispy24

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

This is the way to do it, Tyra. Exploit people for their sexy, sexy bodies, not their childhood trauma.

... although the Ronnie and Ben storyline is starting to make me uneasy.

Right before the runway show, Ben's face looked like it ran across the warehouse floor with the Project Runway designers. I thought I was looking at Sweet P's foot again.

And dude, Frankie, is, like, um, annoying, ya know?

lilshorty

lilshorty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 1:03 AM

Could the editors make it any more obvious that they want Aryn to go home? Though she and Jay had no chemistry, they don't despise each other like Holly and Frankie, and she still managed the best picture of the four in danger. I'll comment more later, but I'm rather disgusted by this episode.

You noticed that too? Sucks for Aryn. I hope she doesn't go home.

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

I liked how the pairings seemed designed to make the challenge difficult for as many of the models as possible - not a lot of favoritism going on there, so it really showed who could step outside of their comfort zones. Perry is impressing me as the show goes on. I definitely didn't see "supermodel" in his look in the casting special, but I'm seeing that potential both in photos and on the runway. Plus he's one of the few contestants who actually makes for entertaining television in that he seems to be a fun guy with a functioning brain.

I think TPTB didn't put Frankie in the bottom three because they're afraid Ameriker would vote him off, and they want him around longer because he has the potential for drama plus some potential as a model. (Although he's one who looked great in the casting special but hasn't looked as good since, IMO. And he really needs to stop talking.) I suspect Jay will go home this week since he's really out of his league, and after that there could be a string of women voted out.

Dr. No

Dr. No

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 2:23 AM

I like Ronnie a lot and I kind of think this is his competition to lose but I thought confessing to the camera that Ben told him that if he had a couple of drinks in him, something might happen (or words to that effect) was in really poor taste on his part. If Ben didn't say that on camera, he shouldn't have, in my opinion.

To be fair, though, there is so much that is said in front of the cameras and so little of it that makes it to the final edit. For every hour of reality TV that airs, there were at least about ten hours shot. It's possible that Ben DID say that but the shot wasn't usable for whatever reason, or that Ben said something to that effect and Ronnie reinterpreted it later. (The way I remember it, Ronnie said Ben somehow indicated a willingness towards sexual flexibility, rather than stating it out loud.) I think Ronnie is in the clear here.

Plus which, I mean...okay. There is a BIG difference between cool with a gay guy having a crush on you, and another to be totally comfortable with a gay guy who has admitted to having a crush on you tear your shirt off and feel you up for a while. THAT'S a "mixed signal". I believe Ben is straight (enough), and Ronnie is barking up the wrong tree (poor Ronnie), but Ben IS leading Ronnie on here. As someone who's crushed on a straight guy before, it's a mindfuck y'all.

I was thoroughly impressed by Stephanie today, although Jackie (while talented and beautiful) really leaves me cold. I'd like to see Jay go home, or Aryn, but I think Holly really took the fall for Frankie's failings as well as her own.

kchav

kchav

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 2:26 AM

Frankie is a jackass. Period. Aryn looks a bit sickly to me. She looked so fragile during the workout. She needs to eat a hamburger--stat! She is sooo thin. Anyway, my current favorite is Casey simply because I think that he's GORGEOUS. Doesn't he look like River Phoenix? And I don't mind a bit that he let Perry lick his head.