Big Ideas: How Would We Improve the Show?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

470 replies to this topic

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

They should offer an additional prize to the winner or the three finalists, if they keep the weight off by the next finale. Something like they offered Shay if she ran a marathon (which didn't seem to be mentioned again).

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

At this point I'm leaning towards wanting the show canceled, not "fixed".

freedomrider

freedomrider

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

It has turned into a fat soap opera as of late, hasn't it?

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Suggestion:

Do not put lifesize photos of last season's crowd (none of them!) on the walls of the gym.

NBCUNIadmin

NBCUNIadmin

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

This was pretty nice to know!

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Several articles, as well as the trailers, have revealed that the teens in the new season aren't competitors. They're not in it for a prize and can't be eliminated.

The big problem is that everyone else still IS. Nothing's changed, other than the three teens being a "ride along".

Ergo: this will likely be the SAME kind of mess as always.

apeygirl

apeygirl

Fanatic

• Interests:X-files, American Idol, MST3K, Any Jane Austen movie done by the BBC, Scrubs, The Office, My Name Is Earl, Heroes, Jericho, Lost, Smallville, Ugly Betty.

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 5:17 AM

I honestly love when the season is positive and affirming. But last season was a mess because I feel like producers were confusing sneaky and underhanded with interesting and watchable. There was just a mean vibe and lots of nasty game play and, I think, if there was some way for the contestants acting that way to be seen by their teammates as we see them, they'd be gone, leaving a final four I could root for. Makeover day is my favorite! And everyone left by then was an obnoxious snot. If there's some way to prevent these jerks from advancing, like even just calling them out, I'd appreciate it.

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

Keep the Red Line.

It could become an inanimate member of the cast kind of like how The Ranch has become its own "being".

Think of the marketing opportunities, too! Red Line pool noodles. Red Line slogan t-shirts (crap like "won't find me below the red line!"). Red Line thunder sticks (or whatever those noisy things you clap together at baseball/football games are called).

Wait. . .I want TBL to give me a cut of this.

tartaruga

tartaruga

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

I honestly love when the season is positive and affirming. But last season was a mess because I feel like producers were confusing sneaky and underhanded with interesting and watchable. There was just a mean vibe and lots of nasty game play and, I think, if there was some way for the contestants acting that way to be seen by their teammates as we see them, they'd be gone, leaving a final four I could root for. Makeover day is my favorite! And everyone left by then was an obnoxious snot. If there's some way to prevent these jerks from advancing, like even just calling them out, I'd appreciate it.

Yes! Last season was such a disaster because they just had a load of jerks as contestants. I honestly would be hard pressed to think of a single redeeming feature of any of them. I reckon the producers think that viewers like the drama, but for me it just gets tedious and frustrating. The best seasons are the ones with nice contestants and very little gameplay IMO.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

I think that they could be using the kids in a much more effective manner then they are. They should have segments where the kids and their families are learning how to shop, learning how to cook, learning how to exercise.

Take the kids and their parents out food shopping. Let the Kids families buy what they normally would. Have the trainer by healhy food with some snacks. Compare the prices and discuss how the junk food cart is adding to their problem. Next week, have a segment where the nutritionist is at the house and showing them how to make a healthy version of something that they like. Baked sweet potato fries with roast chicken instead of KFC. Discuss why sweet potato fries are better then even baked french fries. Show them how to make a healthy meal in the slow cooker for families with two parents working.

I am guessing that they could film close to an entire seasons "lessons" in almost a week home with the kids. Think one week on shopping, 5-7 cooking segments, and a how to get started with weight loss (food journal and exercising that can be done at home, walking, boking, playing a sport, Wii Fit, whatever the new Playstaion and XBox version is). Then have the trainers go back a few times and show the kids more intermediate level exercise. "Hey you look great. Feeling better? Now try and move from walking a mile to walking three miles at a faster pace. Have you thought about jogging? Your baseball game is really improving, is there a team you can join? Hey there is a cheer video game that gets you a good amount of exercise and might help you learn the basics and develop confidence for when you try out for cheer in a year or two, have you tried that?"

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

The temptation challenge blows. Stop it, Show.

Showing women in their almost see-through granny panties and bra rotating in a 360 blows. Just. NO>

Get rid of Jillian.

That is all.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

Get rid of Jillian and Bob.

No more fake counseling sessions.

No more telling the contestants about a yellow or red line.

If the contestants have to lose a certain amount of pounds as a group then no stupid challenges to help reduce the pounds amount.

No more kids inspiration speals. If Jillian wants to work with kids (gag me) then she should have her own show.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

Yes! THIS> BigSkyGirl

And I, too, am so over Jillian and her contrived therapy sessions for which she is not, that I know of, trained to conduct. Get a real therapist in there if you want to dig into these folks' psyches and pasts and what have you.

And all these people are overweight/obese, but there is not a cookie cutter. one size fits all (god I hate that phrase) way to "train" or "motivate."

I loved it in that one show in which Jillian and Sunny were learning to row and Jillian was out of her element. More of this please, because the oars-trainer lady took Jill down a peg or ten. Floved it. MORE>

Edited by ari333, Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:41 PM.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

The show gets money from all the excessive product placement. The show also makes money from the actual commercials that air during the show and I would think, NBC is able to charge increased rates for finale advertising. On top of that, the sponsors donate all the challenge prizes and the grand prize money at the end is even sponsored (at least it was in Season 9.) 

So I do not understand why the big prize cannot be increased (as Michael Ventrella has shown, $250K after taxes doesn't last long if you have existing debts or want to get that skin removal surgery so many of them need) or at least augmented with the cost of skin removal surgery and/or  other necessary costs that go with losing a tremendous amount of weight. And have the show take care of the taxes. Don't be so freaking cheap, NBC. You make a MINT (one-and-a-half calorie mint) off this show.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

Some or most of the contestants go on the show for the money and their five minutes of fame.  The people behind the show did not force the contestants onto the show.  How many people will get the chance to have $250,000, $100,000 or other prizes given to them for losing weight.  The show is suppose to help people become healthier, not solve their financial problems after the show ends.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 2:08 AM

As game shows go, this is a relatively cheaply produced one, since almost everything is sponsored. It certainly wouldn't hurt NBC in the least to expand the prize or to offer as others have suggested, a runner up prize. These people are putting forth tremendous effort every day for months at a time, and they do have accompanying medical issues that go with the weight, or injuries they may incur while exercising. 

No, the show is aimed at helping people with their weight issues, but it is ultimately a GAME SHOW and as such, I would love to see the reward increased because of the effort I see being put forth by the contestants.

NBC makes a bundle off the show. It wouldn't hurt them in the least to expand the cash prize and/or cover the taxes or the necessary skin removal surgery incurred by the winner or top three. It isn't like free groceries for a year comes out of NBC's pocket, or the cars that were up for grabs another season, or the trips in other seasons. Other companies are covering those prizes (all of which incur taxes).

I'd personally rather watch someone who has fought amazing odds to drop 150+ lbs through sheer will get rewarded with the kind of money Survivor is handing out to some noodniks that simply have to outwit/outplay other noodniks in some backass jungle somewhere.

I will also add that I am not a fan of them having on contestants that have already had gastric bypass or lapband surgery.  The spots on the ranch are limited. If you had weight reduction surgery and you gained the weight back, that says to me that you needed a good therapist more than you needed the ranch. It is also an option that not everyone can have, depending on their insurance or lack of it or health issues. I'd just rather see contestants on the ranch who were unable for whatever reason to have had this surgery, or just never opted to have it

Edited by newyawk, Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:32 AM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:49 AM

I don't have a problem with the prize money being increased but I think that the people on the show get a great deal out of it if they maintain a healthy weight after participating. Massivly decreased food bills and medical bills come to mind. I have to believe that they save a ton of money on their food costs even if they decide to buy all organic, helthy foods. They are eating a great deal less then they did in the past. They are probably eating out a great deal less. All that adds up real fast. Their health care costs probably diminish a ton. I wonder how many medications they are able to get off by the end of the show? Add that up for each year that they maintain a healthy weight. Toss in the likelhood that they decrease the likelihood that they develop diabetes, heart problems, and the like and all the costs associated with that. Losing that much weight is going to decrease the need for joint replacement surgery. I lost 50 pounds in the last year and my knees and hips feel a ton better. I can't imagine what losing 100-200 pounds would feel like.

The contestants have a unique oppertunity to radically change their lives. If they embrace it and maintain the change they all win something that will easily add up to well over $250,000 without taxes.

As bad as it sounds, and it is bad, the contestants who maintain a healthy weight will probably see better job oppertunities and pay. Studies show that the less you weigh, the more you make at pretty much any job.

Not to mention, a higher prize would change the type of game play. Do we really want more of the idiots who played a few seasons back?

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

I agree that a bonus for keeping the weight off for X amount of time is a great way to go. Maybe that's the way to do it.

It just has struck me that a lot of the people that come on this show, have had their income and career negatively affected ( by their weight and whatever accompanying mental issues caused it) case in point..Melissa's husband Lance, who could no longer dive because of his weight gain. So maybe I am just concluding that these contestants, in general, need more of a boost economically than someone who goes out for Survivor or The Amazing Race (although..how many full time employed people can really take months off at a time to go on a game show anyway.)

And part of me sees how much money the network makes off these people, because of the sponsors covering SO MUCH of the expenses, and the draw of seeing these obese people overcome huge challenges week after week, and I would just like to see the network pay a little more back to the contestants. 

Edited by newyawk, Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:24 PM.

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

Maybe the top three "losers" each week could get some monetary prize. 

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

All that adds up real fast. Their health care costs probably diminish a ton. I wonder how many medications they are able to get off by the end of the show? Add that up for each year that they maintain a healthy weight. Toss in the likelhood that they decrease the likelihood that they develop diabetes, heart problems, and the like and all the costs associated with that.

Weight loss can reduce the likelihood of having diabetes, heart problems etc. etc. but there still is a chance for serious medical problems later in life.  Family history, certain meds, and even sinus infections can cause problems with a person's health issues.

My brother-in-law died on May 16th from heart failure at the age of 53.  He was diabetic for a while and was on meds and tested his blood sugar for at least once a day for a while.  He lost some weight (was a little over weight at time of death.)  Diabetes played a role in him dying too soon.  My husband's blood sugar levels have been high since he started taking his one anti-rejection med after his kidney transplant.  He may have picked up a virus that caused his levels to go up.  He had a sinus scan and his thyroid hormone levels tested because if a person's thyroid acts up or has sinus problems can cause a rise with blood sugar levels.

Personally, I do not think the contestants should be paid to lose weight and/or win prizes.  That has been leading to dangerous methods of some of the contestants to lose weight.  Dr.HDoomofdeath should be ashamed of himself for letting that happen.  Contestants should know by now that their mental and physical health is THEIR responsibility not the trainers, Dr. H. and the staff running the show behind the scene. 

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

So I'm in the middle of watching season 10, and yet another episode went by with the useless Elizabeth falling under the yellow line and getting yet another pass from her friends in the Alliance, Brendan and Frado.

It got me to wondering about the seating arrangements at the elimination table when they are playing as singles. I wondered if the producers specifically seat contestants in any order, or do they get to sit wherever they want at the elimination table.

Because if they are playing as singles, and producers have become aware of an alliance in the house, then I would love to see, in the elimination room, seating arranged so that either 1) the alliance is seated at the far end of the table, or 2)the alliance is spread out among the seats. I feel like this would give the candidates up for elimination a fairer shake. To clarify, if you have two or three people in an alliance and they get to go first, having all of the alliance count in the voting might mean that they reach the number of votes needed before they get to all the players, some of whom might not vote the same way. 

For example, in this ep, there were six players at the table eligible to vote for either Jessica or Elisabeth. They stopped the voting after the first three, which included the Douche Tag Team Alliance of Frado and Brendan's votes. Mark, Ada, and Patrick never got to vote. (Granted, Patrick was also a part of the alliance and Ada was an associate member, and may also have voted for Jessica.)

I dunno, I hope this made sense. I would like to see seating  arranged at the table so that alliances have less of a chance to influence it.