In Plain Sight: Marshal Marshall?

• Please log in to reply

2965 replies to this topic

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I thought the last show should have been with no commercials! Then we would have gotten more of the future for Mary and Marshall. And is Stan's dance partner going to DC with him?

All and all I am satisfied but I do wish if Mary is to end up with single dad guy could he of at least been introduced earlier? So we would care about him.

Do we believe Brandi is reformed. We did before and then she screwed up. Not sure I care. And is the actress really pregnant?

Farewell Mary and Marshall, we shall miss you.

ladymagdelene

ladymagdelene

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

As many of you, I was completely disappointed in not only the finale, but the last two to three years of this show. Once the creator was canned IPS took a huge dive. This season in particular was a waste of time and money. Mary was suddenly maternal, Jinx went from being a total nutcase to getting her shit together and being the wise sage giving Mary advice that was actually useful, Brandi went from bad to horrible to are-you-kidding-me??, Stan was..well, barely on and when he was his story arch was idiotic, Marshall was just completely wasted and used mostly as talking furniture and the witnesses were boring, unengaging, badly written and worthless.

Oh and that whole money thing the father left for Mary's kid. What the hell? Her father was a fugitive most of her life, left her and her family abandoned, starts another family and then abandons them, acquires a ton of money "legitimately," and leaves it to his barely-known about granddaughter and Mary's old emotional wounds are suddenly healed. Alrightly then.

So glad this show is done. And I agree with the poster who questioned the appeal of MM. I don't dislike the actress but I'm not crazy about her either. And not to be mean, but she sure has aged a lot since IPS began. Probably due to the fact she's a mom to three small kids and probably doesn't sleep much, but she is a couple years or so younger than me and she looks a lot older.

Edited by ladymagdelene, May 5, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

On the subject of the big bag o' money, Pa Shannon has been a robber all his life, taking money from others by force or guile, but it's okay for Mary to keep this sum because it was legitimately won? That's ethically questionable at best, and if Mary resents the guy as much as she claims and is as upright as she's supposed to be, shouldn't she donate the money toward restitution? Besides which, she's supposed to be ultracynical and she knows Pa is a liar and a con man, but it doesn't seem to have occurred to her that he might have faked the evidence that he won the money at the track. It's another of those aspects of the story which seemed to me to be pat and rushed for the sake of tying things up in time for the finale.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Here to say that I LOVED the finale. The previews had me reluctant to write it. Thank goodness it was a case of promo monkeys messing with us. So glad Marshall ended up with Abigail. I love them together. Marshall and Mary are too much like siblings and anything more between them would be squicky. Was glad to see Brandy and Jinx back too. It was a very uplifting good finale.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I really liked it. Just the right amount of poignancy and closure for me; I like leaving the characters with a feeling their lives will go on as life does, some things changing and some things continuing.

TD3000

TD3000

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I'm not much for shipping, so it kind of annoyed me to see so many people angry about Mary and Marshall not ending up together. I'm glad it didn't happen. The finale was OK to me, not anything outstanding. I sort of mentally checked out on this show last year, so I'm not heartbroken to see it go. Mary, in particular, was a bit too grating for me at times.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I enjoyed it. Like you said applepie, a little too neatly tied up.

I actually liked that it wasn't insanely wrapped up. The new jobs is probably the main weird wrap up, but everything else was just a closureish conversation between Marshall and Mary...and that's kind of it. No surprise wedding for Mary, no new baby (although I guess we already did that), we didn't have to shove in a wedding, even though there was a real engagement for Marshall.

Yes, they could have done a better job about admitting that Marshall was at one point in love with Mary, but at least they let him move on, and you get the impression Mary is at least a little better, for whatever reason. IDK. Not perfect, but good enough for me. I did like the witness and Mary's interaction a little bit, it was a return to form and a reminder of why I actually liked Mary in the first place once upon a time.

Count me in with those grossed out by ashes on the track, mostly because they were blowing around and looking like they were blowing into Mary's face. Those are the ashes of your dead father. Gross!

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I liked the episode. Liked the "life goes on" feel to it, much like the series finale for L&O:Criminal Intent.

I kinda wish Mary had a jockey ride around the track slowly scattering the ashes as he went.

I really didn't like Mary last season. She was too cynical, almost to the point of being mean. The thing I loved about her was behind her sarcastic, cynical manner was someone who truly cared and would put her life on the line for her witness, her family and her partner. Her interaction with the model was great and I loved seeing the young woman in a classroom, interacting with the instructor and smiling a truly happy smile.

The finale made me smile and made me feel the extended family was going to be fine.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

I liked the episode. Liked the "life goes on" feel to it, much like the series finale for L&O:Criminal Intent.

I had said a few weeks ago I was hoping this would happen also.

I thought this closure for M/M was much more earned over the last few seasons that if they had gotten together. Marshall's line was very on point with what a lot of us were saying: If you call, I'm going to come. He was just as much asking Mary to grow up as he was asking her to release him. I don't know why TPTB played all the shipper games in the mean time though. That was kind of a waste. I get early in the series run that Marshall was in love with her. You can grow out of that. The conversation should have been deeper, but I'll take it. It would have been interesting if Mary and Abigail had a conversation.

I've actually told a woman friend "I love you," not in love. We are now the greatest of friends. I really like that they went with this choice and in a way, made it cool.

Why even bother with a witness in the finale episode? No one cared.

I'm glad Stan got a promotion, but I have no idea how that happened. I also was surprised to see the Marshall had the seniority in the office. I think he will do well in that position though.

For a series finale, this was kind of slapped together. The Monk finale held up better.

I've liked PBV since Invisible Man, and I hope MM, FW, and the rest of the cast success in their next projects.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

've liked PBV since Invisible Man, and I hope MM, FW, and the rest of the cast success in their next projects.

Are there any new things that anyone knows about? That last line about not saying farewell made me wonder...

Kathcart

Kathcart

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

I thought it was pretty true to Marshall's (odd duck) character to have him ask Mary to "release" him so he could move on to a life with Abigail. And I thought Mary's reaction was handled nicely. It would have been totally OOC for her to do anything but be kind of brusque with him.

Very strange of her to say "you buried the lead" to Marshall after it was revealed that he'd been promoted. In "Broadcast News" a drunken Albert Brooks says to Holly Hunter something like "... how do you like that? I buried the lead!" when he lets slip the fact that he's in love with her, his best friend. So, some parallel to this situation with Mary and Marshall but certainly a strange expression to use, considering that they're not in journalism AND "the lead" in this case was supposed to be the promotion.

And that last scene! When you can't figure out how to wrap it up, I guess you just film yourselves an Olive Garden commercial. Who on earth was that blonde woman at the table, smiling, laughing, looking pretty and relaxed, exchanging significant glances with Marshall and looking fondly at her new boyfriend and having a great time with family and friends .... and who was not sniping at her mother, her sister, her ex-husband, her work partner .... WHO WAS THAT WOMAN? Never in all the seasons of this show have we EVER seen Mary act like that. Lame way to wrap it up, IMO.

Farewell, show! (There, I said it!) I will miss you but I am not even sure why.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I started watching this show in the second season and this finale was completely unsatisfactory to me. Oh well, maybe I should just give up watching series finales. I was expecting more and I was certainly waiting for Marshall to wake up and shake himself free of Abigail (not necessarily to run into Mary's arms, but just to be free of the sickening sweetness.)

So uhhh, Mary will now work for Marshall. Sure, that's gonna work...

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Surely it can't be legal to dump human remains at a racing track? And I'm sure those horses and riders appreciated breathing Pa Shannon as Mary dumped him in their path.

That was totally unrealistic, but if they had shown her dumping the ashes at night and then watching a race the next day in which the horses pounded the ashes into the track, it would haven been hard to film it as a pretty music video. Let's just pretend Mary was imagining what it it would be like when the horses did run some other time.

On the office politics story line, I think they just wanted to fake us out to think that the finale would consist of them all essentially going their separate ways. Instead, they switched it at the last minute so that they'd all be together as a happy family.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Mary doesn't do big gatherings. She's hates them. The better ending would just have been Marshall and her in the conference room dealing with another witness. They ended Monk with him meeting up with the Captain to investigate another murder, this is basically the same concept in a way.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

a strange expression to use, considering that they're not in journalism AND "the lead" in this case was supposed to be the promotion.

Iíve heard that expression used lots of times to mean exactly the same thing (why'd you say the boring thing first) so I didnít find it strange. It may have started in journalism but that doesn't mean it has to stay there.

And that last scene! When you can't figure out how to wrap it up, I guess you just film yourselves an Olive Garden commercial.

Ha! It was pretty much an Olive Garden Commercial, wasnít it. Sheesh. I guess you have to do something to get all the characters together when you donít end on a wedding.

So uhhh, Mary will now work for Marshall.

Yeah, thatís going to be a weird dynamic.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

The previews had me reluctant to write it. Thank goodness it was a case of promo monkeys messing with us. So glad Marshall ended up with Abigail. I love them together.

I was struggling to get through the first half hour because I was so worried they were going to put Mary and Marshall together and I knew that would make me retroactively dislike the entire series. I was very happy to see how the conversation went and I like Abigail a lot--especially with Marshall--so I like the little scene of them walking through the church and then together later at the dinner.

a strange expression to use, considering that they're not in journalism AND "the lead" in this case was supposed to be the promotion.

Iíve heard that expression used lots of times to mean exactly the same thing (why'd you say the boring thing first) so I didnít find it strange. It may have started in journalism but that doesn't mean it has to stay there.

Yeah, I thought it was a perfect place to use the phrase (fyi--it's "lede") because it's a self-explanatory phrase, but what made me giggle was Mary then berating Marshall for using "ancillary."

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Well, they finally put the bullet in the show's head. It's been limping along for the last three seasons so it was about time.

One thing I don't understand, how can Abby be so pissy about M/M? She's a cop, she should understand that as partners, they will always rush to each other's side. It's not a romantic thing, it's what partners do. Great partners are basically family with one another. Or has she just never had a partner?

It was an okay finale. Glad Stan got a happy ending and the girl it seems.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

One thing I don't understand, how can Abby be so pissy about M/M? She's a cop, she should understand that as partners, they will always rush to each other's side. It's not a romantic thing, it's what partners do. Great partners are basically family with one another. Or has she just never had a partner?

I think she could have been a lot pissier than she was. She took the whole thing with much better grace over time than a lot of people would have.

It was interesting to me that they chose to end M&M's partnership - Marshal's promotion changes that whole dynamic. Mary will get a new partner now!

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

(fyi--it's "lede")

I've seen it both ways* ;0)

What happened with the WotW? I caught the beginning of the show, part of the middle, and little bit of the end, but I only saw the model at the very beginning.

*Psych

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

What happened with the WotW?

When she couldn't handle working as a waitress (getting hit in the face by an asshole customer will do that to you) she tried to commit suicide. Mary visited her in the hospital and if you take out the "I don't know if you are a mother, but you'd be a great one" from Casey to Mary it was a good talk. Mary realized that Casey wanted to be in school more than anything else and one of the shots in the end scene was Casey in a classroom. I liked the model and I'm glad they had a witness in the last episode because, while there have been some stinker witnesses, I always liked that part of the show and the sturm und drang of Mary's life wasn't what really kept my interest.

I've seen it both ways

Since it started getting used in non-journalism ways. . . which works because this was an instance of it being used in the non-journalism way. Still, changing the spelling so it wouldn't be wrong when it was spelled incorrectly? Blah.

eta: Oops! I was wrong. I'm going to start telling my editors to spell it "lead" from now on. . . (although I am happy that I'm finally too young for something.)

Edited by LT, May 11, 2012 @ 7:58 PM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

One thing I don't understand, how can Abby be so pissy about M/M? She's a cop, she should understand that as partners, they will always rush to each other's side. It's not a romantic thing, it's what partners do.

Partners protect each other when under gunfire. They back each other's hunches and instincts when investigating. But I don't think they ditch an appointment with their fiancee and minister to help each other make funeral arrangements.

(And 'lede' is actually a newish attempt by journalists to create technical jargon for themselves. Or as an attempt make it easy to distinguish documents referring to the lead paragraph from documents about the molten lead used to set type. The traditional spelling has always been 'lead.' A review of a couple of online dictionaries suggest that 'lede' was first used in the mid-'60s.)

Edited by LTG, May 11, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.

ljande

ljande

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Since I kept forgetting this was on Fridays, I ended up watching on Hulu, so I just finally watched the finale. Overall, I'm happy with the way it ended, but I'm really going to miss this show. Marshall and Mary just had such a great dynamic.

Mary McCormick is really such an underrated actress - I hope she gets a network gig soon (as opposed to cable where you only get 13 episodes a year).

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I've seen it both ways* ;0)

Ha!

Well, I just started watching the show over the weekend on Netflix. I didn't realize at first that it had still been on until recently. I really thought the 3 seasons on Netflix were it.

I absolutely loved the first three seasons, but I'm afraid the show lost me with the pregnancy. I HATE TV babies, it probably makes me a terrible person but I do. They always seem to ruin a good surly single female character. I do wonder if MM hadn't been pregnant if they'd have gone down a different route with my dear snarky Mary. Ah well, it's done now.

ETA: I went back and read some snippits from this thread. Guess I was a member of a very small Mary fan-club!

"Okay look, I get holding yourself apart from the world. I do. I once went six whole days without talking to a single human being - I wasn't even trying. Just happened. Best six days of my life..."

Here's to you, Mary. Here's to you.

Edited by marieelise0928, Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

Frederick Weller and Thomas Sadoski (The Newsroom) are doing a staged reading of Neil LaBute's Reasons To Be Pretty for LA Theatre Works. Performances run from September 19 - 22 at UCLA.

Also, happened to catch a few minutes of Mary McCormack playing the fourth sister-wife in Escape From Polygamy on Lifetime last night. She had the requisite braid and drab clothing but I'm pretty sure I still saw sparks of Marshall Mary in there.

Friscosgirl

Friscosgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

I started watching a few random episodes of In Plain Sight on Hulu after watching Mary McCormack's new show, Welcome to the Family. That show is ... about as good as you can expect a sitcom pilot to be, but Mary's character seems to be very similar to Mary Shannon. It makes me wonder if she's been able to really make that transition.

On another note, Season One's 'Trojan Horst' is still a really, really good episode.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2014 @ 5:28 PM

Bumping this to let people know that Fred Weller will be starring alongside Tyne Daly on Broadway in "Mothers and Sons" (I'll go out on a limb and guess he'll play mom dressed like Devine, or, maybe a son).Previews begin 2/23 and the show opens 3/24. So, if you're coming to NYC, check it out and let us know how it was.