In Plain Sight: Marshal Marshall?

• Please log in to reply

2965 replies to this topic

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Given that Marshall has spent the better part of the series pining away for Mary, I'm glad he got set up with someone who openly adores him. However, with the way they're setting up the relationship, I wouldn't be surprised if Abigail did get killed before the series is over. Who knows but I always got the impression from MM in interviews that Mary and Marshall are end-game.

Except I don't think that the show has *earned* Mary and Marshall as endgame...I'm not as hard on the show as many. I guess it's always been pretty much escapist TV for me, and I like MM and FW a great deal. I wasn't as upset about Mary keeping the baby because I could never see a control freak like Mary choosing not to parent her biological child.

All that said, Mary and Marshall as endgame? If you had asked me in season 2 or so, I would have said, "Of course!" But now it seems like they're both in such separate places emotionally. Marshall is actually happier and healthier with Abby (cutesy as it may be). Killing her off or even them breaking up so he can get together with Mary would be so artificial to me. If Mary and Marshall were going to end up together then we needed to see the progress toward that, slow and bumpy as it may have been. We've seen virtually NOTHING, except Marshall's previous pining. I vote NO on M/M endgame!

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

I think she's gorgeous. The one thing I do like about the show is that she's not razor thin and people consider her attractive. Because she is.

She did an interview a little while ago where she said that, as frustrated as she was about her size during the filming, she was glad pregnancy was being televised like it is, not the usual giant belly with a thin face and limbs. She's a knockout!

It's disappointing to follow a show for several years, and in the end, not that much changes.

I did come back to season 3 so invested in the show that I was willing to hope for the best, but sometimes I feel like I'm still waiting for the real season 2 finale... There have been moments since the first two ground-breaking seasons, but never with the heart of the show in mind. Last season's voice-overs got to me and I knew that it was a bad sign that a good 10 minutes (between beginning and end) was spent explaining instead of seeing actual interactions.

Where have all the characters gone? It so often feels like a one-man play with just Mary, her v-o's and her dimly-lit house. Her relationships were imperfect, but acerbic, heated and genuine (and existent). Now all we're left with are the bones and a few bits of flesh. This show had such amazing potential, the pilot is still forged in my memory, and fantastic characters, it's such a loss. I hope they are able to cobble together some semblance of an ending, but I think a lot of the low expectations stated here are probably/possibly even better than what we'll see.

But I have to say, it will go down in TV history as a show that gave us genuinely interesting characters. They weren't into pyrotechnics or blood-n-guts or fancy crime-solving machines or black ops. (Well, at least most of the time.)

That's the thing, it really was the characters. Bobby, Eleanor, Raph, they brought levity to the wonderful dark wit of the show, even the feeble FBI guy. It's like a damn ghost town now. Had they been able to follow the original direction, I believe this could have had 4-6 seasons of incredible development and a serious following. It's sad to see it go out with a whimper.

I wince for David Maples every time I see his name in the intro, reminded of his vision and how he's been permanently glued to what they've turned it into.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

All that said, Mary and Marshall as endgame? If you had asked me in season 2 or so, I would have said, "Of course!" But now it seems like they're both in such separate places emotionally. Marshall is actually happier and healthier with Abby (cutesy as it may be). Killing her off or even them breaking up so he can get together with Mary would be so artificial to me. If Mary and Marshall were going to end up together then we needed to see the progress toward that, slow and bumpy as it may have been. We've seen virtually NOTHING, except Marshall's previous pining. I vote NO on M/M endgame!

I'm exactly where you are. In season two I was all about M/M as the end game, but now I'm like "Hell, no." While it was very much an undercurrent in season two, they touched on it just barely in season three and it was non-existent in season four. For something to happen now would be ridiculous. And yeah - Abby/Marshall is so cutesy/sweet that I'm in danger of slipping into a diabetic coma, but it is far healthier and makes far more sense than M/M at this point.

I did come back to season 3 so invested in the show that I was willing to hope for the best, but sometimes I feel like I'm still waiting for the real season 2 finale... There have been moments since the first two ground-breaking seasons, but never with the heart of the show in mind. Last season's voice-overs got to me and I knew that it was a bad sign that a good 10 minutes (between beginning and end) was spent explaining instead of seeing actual interactions.

Completely agree with this too. I don't know if it is the result of producer choices or influence from the network, but the show lost a lot of spark when Maples was canned, and none of the new producers have been able to really grasp what the heart of this show was.

I think I'm hard on the show because I'm so disappointed. This show had so much potential and it never really hit it (though it felt like it was moving in that direction in the first two seasons). To quote a discussion on another board on this, this show always zigged when it really should have zagged. When it zigged, it was just okay entertainment while if it had zagged it would have been awesome. Instead of digging down into these characters, they chose to just skim the surface and move on. This show has a fabulous cast, but I feel like they were rarely asked to really flex their muscles past season two.

The thing I'm mostly disappointed about is there has been little to no growth in our heroine, Mary. I watched a lot of first season episodes on Netflix not long ago, and I was amazed at how Mary was proactively trying to change. Her relationship with Raph was a cycle of screwing up and then actually trying to do better (first season only on that front - the engagement in season two was astronomically stupid). When Jinx mentioned going to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting to deal with what her husband was doing, Mary genuinely asked her if it helped. And then she took a witness to a GA meeting, and THEN she actually went back herself and spoke at the meeting. She was looking for answers, for ways to get better. I can't imagine the Mary of season 3-5 doing that. At best, she only changes/grows up because circumstances/people around her force her to do it. She's never proactive, and then she's basically back to square one by the next episode. In season two, she was dealing with the emotional fallout of being kidnapped and nearly raped and killed. She actually asked a witness how he deals with the knowledge that he's killed people. Sure, they send her to therapy now for shooting someone, but she doesn't really seem all that bothered by it. It's just an easy storytelling tool to have a character sit down and just tell the audience stuff or have the therapist tell the audience for her. That's what they've been doing with the voiceovers, though often the voiceovers have little-to-nothing to do with what Mary actually says/does.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Except I don't think that the show has *earned* Mary and Marshall as endgame

Yeah, I kind of get that. I think the problem is that we know Mary cares about Marshall, but we've never seen her show any sexual interest in him. This hasn't really been a will they/won't they/UST show. They've been partners, and love each other, but aside from occasional Marshall pining (and not too much of that) it hasn't really been developed in a romantic way. I think they would have to do something that made sense for me to accept it at this point. I don't want them just to randomly torpedo Marshall's guy and Mary's ex to get to end game and a wedding in the finale. That would make no sense for this show.

Her relationship with Raph

Oh man, I loved Raph. Miss him. He was so pretty.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I don't think there really should be any type of "endgame" for this show anyway. It reminds me of Monk in a way; by the end of the show, he was able to move past Trudy's death, but he was still Monk with all his conditions. Then they ended the show with him going to meet the captain to investigate the another murder. And life went on, so to speak.

They should do the same with this show. There doesn't need to be an "zomg we have to END the show." M/M just isn't there, so don't force it TPTB. The show should end with Mary just going on another case. Her character hasn't changed much to me over the last 4 seasons, so there's no reason to push it now.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

Several parts of this week's story didn't make much sense to me. Why were they treating the fact that the guy jumped off the roof as an embarrassing secret? It seems to me that having someone pull a seriously off the wall stunt like that would make it more excusable that he got away. Also, are only badguys allowed to use helicopters in New Mexico? Sure, they could follow the guy's tracks on horseback, but aircraft would see farther and move faster. Last but not least, what was the fugitive's plan? He turned himself over to Witsec and was afraid of his partner, but then he seemed to be working with the partner, but then he was surprised when she turned him over to crime boss.

But I mostly watch this show for the affectionate snarking between the main characters, so I did enjoy the ep.

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

Stan said that there were forest fires in Colorado taking up the air support-- they couldn't find ONE helicopter??? Sort of a flimsy excuse.

The show has lost a lot from the early episodes. The supporting characters were all stronger before than they are now. Stan is still Stan, but I miss Mary's mom and sis, and the FBI guy, and Raph. I do agree that this show does NOT need to, and shouldn't, end with M and M together-- but I don't trust the current PTB to make the best choice on where and how to end it.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

I have to admit that when I saw baby-daddy in the shower, I fully expected to see the woman from the bar he met while talking to Mary on the phone to be in the shower with him.

I feel like we are seeing a softening to the edges of Mary this season, I guess that is growth. I honestly don't want to see a massive growth spurt between now and the end...that would be too much, too soon.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I liked this episode more than the previous two, but as pointed out above, there were still huge holes in the plot. I really don't get why this was so horrible for Marshall when it probably would have helped tremendously if he actually knew about this guy's background and knew what he was capable of, and would have been more careful as a result.

And they are really trying to make Abigail annoying. She honestly served pizza at what looked like a kinda fancy dinner party because she's that helpless in the kitchen? She couldn't even get fancier takeout for her guests?

It also bugs me that this show thinks it is cool that Abby gets to know everything about Marshall's job (like him coming home at the end of the episode and telling her all about it). Remember when it caused a huge problem between Mary and Raph because she couldn't tell him about her work? That's how WitSec works. But somehow they now think that because Abigail is a cop and Marshall's girlfriend she's in the inner circle. Remember how they used to hide all sorts of stuff from Bobby?

But I did enjoy that this episode was a little more Marshall-focused -- we haven't had that in a while. And I liked that the "helper" guest star instantly started drooling over Marshall, since that happens all the time with Mary. And I liked that they just ignored Mary about 80% of the time, because she was being seriously annoying with her running commentary and constant snarking on absolutely everything.

wessex

wessex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I missed a huge chunk of this show which evidently covered the introduction of Abigail. So it's disconcerting to me to pick it up again recently remembering Marshall's unrequited feelings for Mary and now he is so disengaged.

I loved the show before all these new changes and will miss it.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Where have all the characters gone? It so often feels like a one-man play with just Mary, her v-o's and her dimly-lit house. Her relationships were imperfect, but acerbic, heated and genuine (and existent). Now all we're left with are the bones and a few bits of flesh.

Very good observation. I haven't really watched since season 2 (although I did catch most of season 3, I didn't really pay attention) and I was wondering why this show was just so boring. I think this is it.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

But I did enjoy that this episode was a little more Marshall-focused -- we haven't had that in a while.

That's really the only reason I liked it. It was a bit much that no one had a helicopter to use, I know it was addressed, but still. I has preferred less Brandi/Jinx anyway in this series and more on Mary and Marshall working cases with a variety of characters.

I surprisingly don't mind the father as a character. I'm not a big fan of bringing more characters in this late into a series run. I thought the "care to join us" line was actually funny though. But, like Abby, I don't feel a need for them to have to be in every episode. I find it hard to believe that a formerly single professional like her doesn't have some basic cooking skills. The time for elaborate dishes? Probably not, but pizza? Come on. At least get it from a high-end place.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

I watch the show for the amusing by-play between the characters and I don't really care about the plot, but even so, this one struck me as ridiculously far-fetched. How long could a doctor get away with removing organs from patients without them finding out? And then the marshals put two feuding wives up in the same hotel? And was there anyone who didn't instantly suspect that it was the daughter that tried to tattle on John? I did still enjoy the snarky humor, but it was a struggle to get past the clunkiness this time.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

Okay, so the promo was practically sponsored by google maps (turn here, turn here, turn here...), and apparently they are leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination.

Hot Mess. That's all I've got left. It is weird - and a waste of precious time - to be introducing characters now and apparently opening up brand new plots only to close them for the finale while letting go of the ongoing plots altogether!

And anvilicious-Abigail gets a proposal at the gun range, seriously? Nothing about Marshall says, "hey, I know, I'll tie a ring to her paper-shot-guy, and then make sure she takes an unusually long time staring at the paper-guy - and hope everyone stops shooting - and then try to say some of the most important words with headsets on!" (Sorry, don't know the official gun-range lingo...)

Why not just tie a ring to the wheel of a plane that's about to take off, that Marshall is going to have to stop before take-off, all the while knowing that Abigail will show up on the scene?!

It's the season of romantic red herrings. I guess they've sewn it all together though because Stan is sleeping with the dance teacher (she's no Eleanor dammit!!), Marshall's making the ultimate commitment, and Mary will be accepted as his work wife. I wonder how they'll tie up Jinx and Brandi's stories? Will we get a sentence about a phone call that the baby-daddy answered? I fear it will be that sloppy.

How long could a doctor get away with removing organs from patients without them finding out? And then the marshals put two feuding wives up in the same hotel? And was there anyone who didn't instantly suspect that it was the daughter that tried to tattle on John?

Remember the days when a few characters were fleshed out with an actual scene and background and explanation of Witsec? Back when the crimes were feasible and the person featured had a history to break from and time throughout the episode interacting with Marshall or Mary... It's amazing to think about how much content and how many overlapping plots used to be in one hour of IPS. Now we have nothing but Mary's tired VO, a bit of Stan, a bit more of Marshall, Mary making some wry remarks or looking embarrassed, an attempt at making Delia an actual character, Abigail swooning once or twice, a baby with a spoon in its mouth, Mark making a comment about work or needing help, and rinse/repeat next ep.

I hate what was wasted here. I fear Fred will not be cast in anything with such potential again, and I sort of doubt Mary now, as she is apparently involved in some production capacity. Bobby should have been back, Peter's story should have been tied up, Brandi should have gotten hitched to Raph, Mary should have had an actual love interest with the baby, etc. I suspect that somewhere David Maples is crossing off the final days on the calendar, having watched his show with so much promise get slowly dragged to its end...

Edited by meisja, Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:56 AM.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

I am in this show until the end....but, this episode? The promo was better than the actual episode.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Remember the days when a few characters were fleshed out with an actual scene and background and explanation of Witsec?

I was thinking as I was watching this that it was been a long time since I actually cared about any of the witnesses or found them compelling.

So have the writers just kinda checked out or what? This is the second week in a row where a witness escaped by jumping off a building while the marshal watching them wasn't really paying attention. It also totally didn't make sense - as pointed out above, it seems like harvesting organs would actually be a bit tough to hide, and how in the hell did the guy move his second family to ABQ? When someone enters WitSec they don't know where they are going until they are signed up to prevent them from blabbing about where they are going, and at that point it isn't like he would be allowed to wander over to his other family to move them. So what the hell did he do? Call them up all, "Hey! I got a new job in New Mexico! I'm already here and, uh...I have to stay here. Can't go back. So, just pack up the house and sell it and I'll meet you here!" At least when they did this storyline the first time in the first season, the guy got his mistress into the program with him and didn't sneak her in past the marshals with a family.

The only time I really enjoyed Mary was when she was spying on Stan. Otherwise I'm just really tired of her schtick and I don't know why they keep cranking it up. At least Marshall seems to be tired of it too. Although I don't know what the hell is up with his character. He's making huge mistakes at work, he's blowing his top at a witness (in a rather uncharacteristic way) and though he seemed happy tonight, he's been weird around Abigail. Was it all due to the stress of the impending proposal? Is he headed for some sort of breakdown? Or is it just more lazy writing?

And I hate that they've retconned Mark from a delinquent "gorilla-armed freak" who horrified Jinx to the high school principal's son. Yeah, he could be both, but with the way they already retconned their marriage into a situation where they were just a couple of crazy kids in love who were too young for marriage when it was originally a situation where Mary clearly just married him because he was there and she was desperate to get away from her crappy family, I kinda doubt it.

Edited by kostgard, Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

So very many good points Kostgard...

So have the writers just kinda checked out or what? This is the second week in a row where a witness escaped by jumping off a building

This had gone right over my head, but perhaps it's a silent protest of sorts and it's the writers who have jumped? Or, is it a combo of that and lazy writing in an attempt to create a crash ending for why ABQ has to close? (And whose fool idea is it that the office has to actually end for the show to end? If any show was created with an "and these guys are in it for life and these dynamics will carry on..." idea in mind, I believe it was this show. I mean, the whole "we need Mädchen Amick to save us from bad PR/used up our favor to save Marshall/so the office will take the hit" is ham-handed and unforgivable.

So what the hell did he do? Call them up all, "Hey! I got a new job in New Mexico! I'm already here and, uh...I have to stay here. Can't go back. So, just pack up the house and sell it and I'll meet you here!" At least when they did this storyline the first time in the first season, the guy got his mistress into the program with him and sneak her in past the marshals with a family.

Argh, the absurdity is painful, as it's the same show that brought WitSec successfully and in great detail to the small screen. WitSec used to be like another character on the show, one with a fair amount of gravitas, and then they would rightly make fun of certain aspects - what was wrong with that? You can't even root for these new WitSec-ees, they appear too dumb to live half the time, and that is in such stark contrast with how many episodes? A lot. It was never enough for someone just to be a screw-up, there was always motivation, and a relatively-deep backstory.

The only time I really enjoyed Mary was when she was spying on Stan.

That was awesome, like the good ole' days, as was the Mary-making-fun-of-dating "anniversaries." Whomever it is running the show these days should have made an executive decision to give us as much intelligence and humor as they could pack in a short season and leave us remembering how we got to IPS in the first place.

And I hate that they've retconned Mark from a delinquent "gorilla-armed freak" who horrified Jinx to the high school principal's son.

This entire contrivance is such a time and energy suck that my mind boggles. They gave Mark zero personality, it's still frankly impossible to believe there was a young-love marriage and a night of passion later on, just impossible. Why is this even a subtopic in the show? Why is time actually being spent going through the process of potentially hiring a nanny? Seriously. I'm so confused.

Edited by meisja, Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

The only time I really enjoyed Mary was when she was spying on Stan.

That was a good scene. I can't count how many times I've posted that the show should have focused on M/M and friends/partners (scenes like this) with interesting witnesses and keep the family crap very minimal. The scene was well done, Mary was grossed out watching Stan and Marshal was pissed she was telling him and grossing him out.

I think Marshal was stressed out about the proposal. When he first blew up, it was uncharacteristic, but given that he planned the date to the minute, and seeing this witness make a mockery of marriage, when you know Marshal probably gave it very seriously thought, I think he just had a bad moment.

But, oy, my suspension of disbelief only goes so far. This one snapped it. The dual-family thing is patently ridiculous, and, having the agents have to break the news? BS. This is a "shoot the messenger" thing in any sense. Plus, in 2012, with such massive information online, the women didn't know? Just because he had a different name? None of them looked at his company web site, out of idle curiosity? He was that vigilant and never slipped? This was funny when it was done on QL because Sam didn't know about the two families at first. Also, it was the 80s, so the access to information was severely constrained.

It ended too pat because each family was separated and in protection. What would have been more interesting if this was a poly-relationship and they all knew about each other, co-workers, friends, etc. How would WitSec make that work? They would have refused to be separated. That's not something common so wherever they go, they're drawing attention to themselves. Then it would have been interesting given Marshal wanting to get married vs his "work wife," as a backdrop to that.

For the most part the general success of the show is that regular people got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had their lives upended as a result. From time to time, they have to deal with some colorful criminals, and that's interesting too. But here's a guy who did do the right thing, but has also been completely deceitful for a long time. Were we supposed to feel bad for him? Who gives a shit? I don't have to like characters on a show, but they have to be interesting. This guy was absurd and I didn't care about it.

I think Mary even summed it up: I'm bored because this is so predictable.

Not for anything, I know it's not easy to put on a tv show, but how the hell hard is it? Don't they have someone who says, "Hey guys, this is a stupid script. We need to rework this." Unless this was based on an actual case?

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

But, oy, my suspension of disbelief only goes so far. This one snapped it. The dual-family thing is patently ridiculous, and, having the agents have to break the news? BS. This is a "shoot the messenger" thing in any sense. Plus, in 2012, with such massive information online, the women didn't know? Just because he had a different name? None of them looked at his company web site, out of idle curiosity? He was that vigilant and never slipped? This was funny when it was done on QL because Sam didn't know about the two families at first. Also, it was the 80s, so the access to information was severely constrained.

A quick google search of "man with 2 families" and "man with two wives at once" and found 4 cases in the last 8 years, so it does happen. I didn't like this episode and frankly I've been disappointed the whole season. If these weren't the final episodes, I'd probably drop the show. Couple things that didn't make sense about this witness, what exactly was he going to testify about? That he saw a patient walk out the OR and collapse in front of him? That seems like more of a malpractice issue than criminal. Since he wasn't actually in the OR how could he have any direct knowledge about the Surgeon taking kidneys?

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

So what the hell did he do? Call them up all, "Hey! I got a new job in New Mexico! I'm already here and, uh...I have to stay here. Can't go back. So, just pack up the house and sell it and I'll meet you here!"

And...it all happened in 6 days??? Actually less than that, since he had been in WITSEC for 6 days when he "got home early" to his family already settled in a home and stocking up the fridge.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Since he wasn't actually in the OR how could he have any direct knowledge about the Surgeon taking kidneys?

He did see a courier run out of the OR and out the back door. Didn't know what was in it, but he was able to verify that he saw that. He didn't even know what he saw until WitSec told him though.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

And...it all happened in 6 days??? Actually less than that, since he had been in WITSEC for 6 days when he "got home early" to his family already settled in a home and stocking up the fridge.

More reason why I think these writers have just gotten lazy. What he did didn't make sense, and neither did the timeline. Just like Marshall and Abby celebrating their one year anniversary, when they were dating before Mary got pregnant, so they were together during the gestation period for a child who is now 6-7 months. They should be celebrating their two year anniversary. This show has always had problems with logic and timelines, but it seems like it is getting worse (or maybe because everything else is lazy it's less forgivable and easier to see).

Not for anything, I know it's not easy to put on a tv show, but how the hell hard is it? Don't they have someone who says, "Hey guys, this is a stupid script. We need to rework this."

Exactly. This show has never had the best/tightest writing, but they at least used to hit some good emotional points and created characters who were interesting and entertaining. It always had problems with continuity and following its own rules and logic, but it's progressively gotten worse. I think the show lost its voice when Maples was fired, but it has also completely run out of steam. I wonder if in part it's because all of the producers that have run the show since Maples have basically been babysitters who have development deals with the network and signed on to do their own projects, so they aren't that invested.

It's only had about 50 episodes - that's slightly over two seasons for a network television series, and it ran out of steam around 30 episodes. I'm sad because it's really too bad that a show with so much potential and a great cast couldn't find a way to fully tap into that potential. I'm sad that they didn't take these last eight episodes to really go for broke and go out with a bang, but instead instead decided to go with unimaginative, poorly written stories focusing on new characters and storylines we really don't care about. But I'm not sad that it's ending. It's been running on fumes for a while, and they've clearly decided to just let it cough and sputter out of existence.

Edited by kostgard, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:15 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

A quick google search of "man with 2 families" and "man with two wives at once" and found 4 cases in the last 8 years, so it does happen.

I googled that just now, and all I got was info on really economically disadvantaged people and a guy with 13 kids between two women who were on welfare. So while this does happen in reality, ok, I am thinking the typical house, picket fence, kids who go to private school to play lacrosse, two family deal, is pretty out there. They showed the guy on IPS to really not have that much of a problem maintaining two families in 2012. I just don't buy it. Nor do I buy said wives with houses and access seemingly to money not to have internet, and not randomly stumble across any information about this.

Part of the problem is that they didn't really flesh out any characterization for the women. All I saw from watching the show was that this guy had some kind of 1950s household going on, but with two of them. I just don't personally know any women like that. And it's not that they are stay at home moms. It's just the overall attitude that this guy was "keeping" them. With only one job in sales.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:03 AM

Part of the problem is that they didn't really flesh out any characterization for the women. All I saw from watching the show was that this guy had some kind of 1950s household going on, but with two of them. I just don't personally know any women like that. And it's not that they are stay at home moms. It's just the overall attitude that this guy was "keeping" them. With only one job in sales.

I agree that none of the characters were very developed. Wasn't wife number 2 a nurse? To be accurate, the guy was a pharmaceutical sales rep. At the hospital where I used to work I knew a couple of pharma reps and they both cleared $150k a year, and neither seemed to work very hard. So if the guy was very good at his job he could have both families live pretty decent lives on only one salary.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

In the first season they often showed the difficulties the witnesses had with leaving everything and everyone behind, which I found both fascinating and realistic. But now it's all like this week's episode: no extended families, no lifelong careers, no complications beyond not being able to play lacrosse - and even that's dealt with with a simple "that sucks".
I was surprised that they were able to say "keep your dick in your pants". But sadly, the most startling thing on IPS should not be what got past the censors.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Still, $150k/year for two families each with multiple kids? And 2 houses, cars. Lacrosse is expensive, what about when the younger kids want to play sports? Or band?

The girl couldn't play lacrosse again because she was all-state and might get recognized. What if she was possibly able to get a scholarship to college because of that? Probably they don't have than for lacrosse? I don't know. There's just too much this week that I couldn't get past. I just think this was a dumb idea for an episode.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I wonder how they'll tie up Jinx and Brandi's stories?

(just speculating; I know nothing) But based on the promo for next week, anyone else thinking Raph and Brandi got married?

I'm so disappointed how downhill this show went. I'm still mourning for Season 1 IPS, with Dershowitz, and Eleanor (yeah, I know, she was later, indulge me?) and strong Mary. (sigh)

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

The show has certainly had its ups and downs over the run but damn I'm going to miss these characters.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I enjoyed this episode. It was nice to see Raph again and his interactions with Mary. So Mary's father finally shows up: this should be good.

Marl

Marl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I was hoping they'd revisit Mary's father before the series ended, and I'm so happy she arrested him. With all the crap going on, it's nice to see Mary do a Mary thing.

Edited by Marl, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.