S26: Erik

• Please log in to reply

322 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:47 AM

There's one thing we seem to have forgotten about Erik.  Like Cochran and Malcolm, Erik is a superfan.  We remember his bone-headed move of giving up the IC, because that really is one of the dumbest moves in the history of the game.  But we've forgotten that in the same episode he'd won the RC that was a Survivior trivia challenge, in which he got 4.5 questions of 5 asked correct.

Cochran winning an FvF season would still be poetic (as it would have been if Malcolm could have won), but Erik the Favorite winning FvF2 after losing FvF1 as Erik the Fan might be even more poetic.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Erik is the only one left I like. I really hope he does pull it off somehow.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

70 days? dang. He was really losing it at the beginning of the show there. Pretty sure he was about to cry at one point...

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

(unspoiled) - I wonder if perhaps the amount of Erik we also saw in Brenda's boot episode forshadows a possible removal right after TC.  IE, Brenda's episode was also Erik's episode.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

I think you might be on to something there. Also, most of what we saw in the ep was talk of how hungry he is, how bad he feels, that he thought about jumping off the tree to break his leg, etc. It would be pretty great foreshadowing from the editors.

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

I was glad to see Cochran win, but having Erik pulled from the game on day 36 really changed things. I was kind of surprised that this is the very first time we've seen this happen, having a contestant medivacced due to starvation. Sherri looked worse than Erik did in terms of weight loss,and when Courtney Yates played both times in the past, she too must have been on the verge of starvation. In a way, it's really a shame that Erik had to get removed this way..wonder if Survivor will provide more supplies for the contestants in the future so that this doesn't happen again.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 4:19 AM

In his Ponderosa video (where he is greeted so warmly by everyone), I thought I heard him explaining that in addition to the dehydration, his leg was infected too. I think they were more concerned about the infection (he could've died had it gone untreated).

Shocker

Shocker

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

I thought I heard him [Erik] explaining that in addition to the dehydration, his leg was infected too. I think they were more concerned about the infection (he could've died had it gone untreated).

You are right, FrogsRule.  Erik also said that his brother noticed the "look" of his leg during the family visit.   Brenda said she wasn't surprised. 

I bet his shimmying up and down the coconut palm didn't help his leg at all.

airrr

airrr

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Well here's an interesting post-show interview with Eric. He discusses his injury, Sherri telling him to shut up and sit down - which he didn't, and his resentment over zero screen time at the reunion (while BR ended up on stage.)

He's bitter and slams production - which I'm always fascinated to see.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Not that Erik was necessarily wrong about anything he said in that interview, or at Final Tribal Council for that matter, but in his two seasons of Survivor, he's come across as a big zero to me about 90% of the time and and an angry dick the rest of the time.  So I'm pretty much okay with him not getting airtime.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

Not that Erik was necessarily wrong about anything he said in that interview, or at Final Tribal Council for that matter, but in his two seasons of Survivor, he's come across as a big zero to me about 90% of the time and and an angry dick the rest of the time.  So I'm pretty much okay with him not getting airtime.

Agreed. Medievac at five was terrible and he has a case about how horrible the reunion was, but his attitude seems bad in every interview of his I've read, including Micronesia. He chooses to play in a dopey/passive-aggressive manner and then is always pissy at the results.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

Would it really ruin Survivor if the castaways were allowed access to topical antibiotics?  I remember reading that they have access to some type of first aid kit, sunscreen and condoms being two of the included items, Couldn't they just throw in some topical cleansing solution and antibiotics so this doesn't happen so much?  The fact that both Eric and Reynold ended up on IV antibiotics is pretty sad in this day and age. I'm sure Neosporin and Bactine would be happy to sponsor a season...

I think Eric was edited out of the season because he was medivaced.  His story didn't matter, so they didn't bother showing it at all.  They are making it way to easy to guess who the winner is .

kikaha

kikaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:44 AM

I think Eric was edited out of the season because he was medivaced.

I don't think that was it.  Colton,e.g., was medevaced out of One World, yet he was not edited out of the season.  Same with Russell S. and Penner his second time.  For that matter Shamar was medevaced this season too.  He certainly didn't get edited out. 

I think Erik was like Brenda in a lot of ways.  He wasn't in an alliance.  He didn't strategize with the others. 

Survivor doesn't work well as a character study.  It thrives on action, drama, back-stabbing, alliances gone bad and alliances that hold together.  Erik didn't supply much of any of that.  So he didn't get much screen time. 

btw, same was true of Eddie, who accurately called himself "an idiot."   Jeff didn't address either at the reunion.  Michael also was mostly a nonentity this season, and he got zero time at the reunion.  That may be a direct result of how little they actually did during the season.

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:33 PM

Man oh man do I feel sorry for Erik.  For a superfan of the game, it has treated him really badly.  I say "the game" and not "the show", although this season at least the show has treated him pretty terribly as well.  But even if this season wasn't the worst-concieved, worst-edited piece of crap ever, Erik and the Survivor gods just don't seem to get along.

LanceM

LanceM

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

I think Erik was like Brenda in a lot of ways.  He wasn't in an alliance.  He didn't strategize with the others.

Ironically, I believe he was in an alliance with Brenda.  In his exit interview with RobC he mentioned that he would never vote Brenda out because she was a "awesome and a good person" and that would have willingly went all the way to the F3 with her despite believing that he would lose.

(The question was in regards as to why he went along with the blindside of Andrea instead of joining with her to vote out Brenda).

Edited by LanceM, May 15, 2013 @ 11:57 PM.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

I don't understand why the Survivor higher-ups don't like him? Is it the under-the-radar game he played?

I can understand the editing not doing him favors, but being ignored at the finale? Not being interviewed on the red carpet? Not being allowed to attend the After-Show?

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Erik did a AMA where he answered some fan questions. Some pretty interesting material:

Really I have no idea why but it was clear to me this season Jeff doesn't like me. In Micronesia we talked a ton about people, places, what he liked or disliked about previous seasons. He even gave me a phone call prior to the finale to talk about what happened with the immunity give-away thing.

This season he literally said fewer then two words to me and gave me shit prior to the season for not "being erik-like". He has changed a lot. It has been 4 years in between though, and I am sure I have changed too.

I was hoping someone would ask this; Jeff Probst Micronesia filming is 100 times greater then Jeff Probst at Caramoan. He was much more fair and generally pleasant during Micronesia compared to Survivor 26. His bias for specific players is not only unfair it is kind of ruining the future seasons. Survivor 22 is one of the worst seasons I have ever watched.

Edited by loki567, May 17, 2013 @ 11:55 AM.

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

The more interviews I read from Erik, the more I wish we had seen more of him during this season. Not only to know what he was thinking/what game he was playing (which is something we would hear from everyone if I had a say), but also because I'm now wondering how much confessionals are motivated by the desire to come back now that it's pretty much the de facto motus operandi on Survivor. I.e. if Erik thought he had a chance to come back again, would his rhethoric be different? In this case, Erik seems pretty disgusted with the whole process and over it, but supposing he had had a better edit, would he play the after match differently? Unless you're a "character", your confessionals are now shown only if you're the winner (boring for the serious viewer, who can see it coming a long time before the end) or if you have an interaction with a F3 that might show up later, for instance at tribal. If you're a good strategist (and I'm not saying Erik was or wasn't, we saw nothing in that regard, for all I know he could have been playing a superb game and we never saw any of it) but without impact on the outcome, you disappear in favour of the "characters" (like the crazy people that you cannot show during the reunion because it exposes the network to liabilities, which seems to be the people I would have preferred not to see in the first place (Go figure... Obviously, I'm not a producer nor involved with casting). 

I do applaud Erik's bravery in his post game comments and interviews because he must be fully aware that these may exclude him any new survivor season but he's had enough with the beep-beep and accepts the potential consequences. Wish there were more players like him, in a way, it is quite refreshing to see people not towing the TPTB's line and expressing their own opinions for a change. Same goes for Allie, btw. Maybe these two were the most forward because they had nothing to lose, not expecting anything more from this game. The only way CBS would prove to be the bigger person would be in casting them again, and as non entities. Otherwise, as I see it, they have won. Just with his interviews, and despite having been quasi absent this season, for me, Erik has more than redeemed himself.

YMMV.

And BTW, his hair look so fluffy and luscious, much more so than Malcolm's, IMHO.   

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

Wow, from that Erik AMA I have learned that he is great friends with Cao Boi!  There is even a Youtube video of the two of them on a road trip together.  (Erik with short hair that makes him almost impossible to recognize until he talks.)  This is one of the greatest Survivor facts I've ever heard.  Thanks for posting that, loki567!

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

On the media thread, Lantern links to a comic book written and drawn by Erik, "Starving, for attention" (I like the title). Has anyone read it?

ETA: 2 months and counting and no response, that's too bad :-( I checked out with my favorite online bookshop, but they don't have it...

Edited by Muscade, Oct 1, 2013 @ 4:33 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

I got the book, but I haven't finished it. I have to change that, since I saw him today at New York Comic Con. Totally wasn't expecting him . . . if you're going, he's at Artists Alley, along the wall on the right side of the hall. I'm going to get an autograph and maybe a sketch. I think I saw him at his table . . . unless I was looking at the wrong guy, he chopped off a lot of his hair.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Musicade . . . have you tried Amazon?

I wound up meeting Erik the day after I posted. Nice guy. He's got short hair, and he doesn't look like this sketch I wound up getting from him. He was talking to people about his first time on Survivor, and how he was sick in Caramoan. He was diplomatic about Probst to me . . . though he's portrayed as "Jiffy Pop" in his book. BTW, the book is pretty good, especially for Survivor fans who would dig the intrigue behind the scenes. The humor is broad, but I wound up getting a few laughs. And the players in the book are complete one-dimensional characters, so I'm guessing that's how it can be legal. Here's his website.

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Thanks, Lantern7. Sounds great about Erik and the book, and I love "Jiffy Pop" as a nickname for Probst! Thanks for the website link too. I may end up ordering on Amazon if it doesn't show up elsewhere, but Amazon shipping prices are steep when you live overseas :(