Lark Rise to Candleford

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

I miss Mr JD! And Sir Timothy, for that matter. Dorcas is a much stronger character when she has a love interest of some kind to spark off - the banter really brings her to life. Her story in S3 is much weaker without it.

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Just saw the last episode of series 4, and thus the last episode of the show. It felt awfully rushed, but I'm really glad they tied up so many loose ends in the relationships, and presaged the coming modern age. I wish that Dorcas, and her resolution with Gabriel, could have been given more time, and a bit more intensity, but I was delighted to see her finally happy in love.

It was such a wonderful show, with some outstanding performances (most of all from Julia Sawalha).

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 8:10 PM

Well, I've just finished Season 2 on DVD and I have to say that I do not understand why Dorcas was so unforgiving to James Dowland. I get that he lied to her but, jeez, give a fella a chance. Other than verbal sparring, which Dorcas gave as good as she got, he has always been exceptionally kind to her. She's kind of a snob. A reverse snob when it came to Sir Timothy and a snob-snob when it came to James Dowland. No wonder the girl's single.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 1:55 AM

The end of season two always bugged me. I hated the way Mr JD ended up having his child taken away from him, for no good reason. They didn't get a chance to bond, James was nervous and felt inadequate, Dorcas was doing her practically perfect in every way act...and suddenly it became a story about Dorcas getting the child she'd always wanted. I always longed for him to come back so that some of the huge issues that storyline raised could be dealt with, but alas it was not to be.

jerusha

jerusha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 8:48 PM

Is anyone else other than the SF Bay Area getting Season 4 yet?

blue sky

blue sky

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

Just saw the end of season 4, then watched the first episode of season 1 again (thanks, PBS). I was surprised to see how bad/low-quality the cinematography was in that first ep--everything looked hazy. But I think everything else about the show got definitely worse after the first season.

Were there big budget cuts in later years, or were many of the actors never available? It was strange to have so many episodes that included only a portion of the cast.

Was I the only one who thought the male love interests got worse as the seasons went on? Fisher was cute but he was often a know-it-all and mean to Laura, but she fell for him anyway. Daniel gave her little reason to suspect he was a decent guy underneath the "I'm a journalist" scheming in his first appearances, but she fell for him, too.

Dorcas's men were even worse. I didn't believe her at all when she told Lady Whoever that she'd never really loved Timothy or she wouldn't have let anything keep them apart. The story of them still caring for each other after so many years was interesting but I'm really glad they left because the constant bitterness of his wife got old really fast. JD could have been a good match for Dorcas, but the whole story to take his kid from him was too forced. By the end of season 4, I didn't believe she really fell for Gabriel--it seemed more like she was just so tired of waiting and being lonely that she threw herself at the only eligible guy around. Such a great character deserved better--both a better guy and a better love story.

Very glad Twister toned down his mugging and overacting after season 1. Queenie surprised me--at first I thought she was totally annoying, but in the end she and Dorcas were my favorites. She started to win me over when we saw that she was the one who took in all the hamlet kids and then I liked that she'd acquired some wisdom and contentment during her years.

Is it definite that there won't be any more seasons? Nearly everything was neatly wrapped up (if a bit rushed to get there).

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

No, season four was definitely the last season.

swissair100

swissair100

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 12:06 AM

Such a terrible shame this wonderful series has been cancelled. I very much enjoyed the characters, the quality acting, along with the quaint and pristine backdrop of the English countryside. I knew it was quite popular in the UK, so I was rather surprised at the cancellation. I had forgotten the lovely Ben Miles was on this show, until I recently started watching Zen, also on PBS. Julia as always, delivered in her role as Dorcas.

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

Such a terrible shame this wonderful series has been cancelled. I very much enjoyed the characters, the quality acting, along with the quaint and pristine backdrop of the English countryside. I knew it was quite popular in the UK, so I was rather surprised at the cancellation. I had forgotten the lovely Ben Miles was on this show, until I recently started watching Zen, also on PBS. Julia as always, delivered in her role as Dorcas.

Watched at 4am when I was going through a bout of insomnia. I sorta liked it but it was so annoying having Robert Timmons go through one hissy fit after another over a woman's place. Really repetitive. I think that's why they cancelled...ran outta ideas.

Frogintheglen

Frogintheglen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

I just spent the last month or so watching all four seasons of this show. I didn't mind that it was a little bit slow on the action front, because it wasn't an action show. It was a relationship show. That was the real strength of Lark Rise; how the people related to each other.

I liked Robert and Emma Timmins. They had a strong, committed marriage, but it wasn't all sunshine and roses. They butted heads, they disagreed, but in the end, they stuck together. I liked that; in tv, it seems like happy relationships have to be happy all the time, and unhappy relationships had to be unhappy all the time. Robert and Emma were a bit more realistic in that respect. I, like some of you, got awfully sick of Robert getting mortally offended and angry by some new cause every other minute. Even so....I missed him during the last season. Given the timing, I'm guessing Brendan Coyle was filming season one of Downton Abbey and wasn't available? Also, Claudie Blakely looked way too young during that last season. Even though Emma said she married young, there was no way she could be the mother of a 19 year old and still look like that, given how hard her life was.

I liked Thomas Brown and Margaret together. They were goofy, and Thomas's facial expressions sometimes made him look like he was having a seizure, but there wasn't anyone else that would have put up with either of them. Plus, Amelia Cordelia ROCKED.

One relationship that I couldn't stand was Alf and Minnie. I didn't buy those two together for one second (although....I admit that the proposal made me a teeny bit emotional). I LOVED Alf and Nan together; why couldn't they have made it work? At the end of season three, it looked like they were headed in that direction. Then, season four happens and she's never mentioned again. I DO like how they handled Alf and Laura's relationship, and I wish that their friendship hadn't been ignored toward the end of the series. I like that they dealt with the fact that they were confused about how they felt about each other. I think that's pretty natural, considering the fact that they grew up together. If Laura had never left Lark Rise, they probably would have been perfect together. Since Laura did leave Lark Rise....

...Laura's many relationships. Seriously, was it realistic for a girl to date so much in those days? I always thought that they more or less dated with the intention or marrying, making all those casual relationships kind of useless. I didn't care much either way about Philip. I saw a handful of season 2 episodes on PBS awhile back, so I knew he wasn't going to last. Fisher Bloom, on the other hand? LOVED HIM. His chemistry with Laura was fantastic, and he was awfully nice to look at. I kept hoping that they would work it out. I even kept hoping through his return visit, although I knew that wasn't going to happen. That look they gave each other the first time they were back in the same room...wow. I really felt for him when Laura finally cut him loose. I would have married him myself just to make him feel better. Still...as much as I hated to admit it...I think Laura made the right decision. It wasn't really an issue of Fisher not being right for her; his LIFE wasn't right for her, and hers wasn't right for him. I couldn't help but wonder where the anti-Irish prejudice was, though. The only reason people seemed not to like Fisher was the fact that he was kind of a drifter, and he broke Laura's heart.

I HATED Daniel at first. I wanted to punch his smug little face every time he was on camera. I never really liked him with Laura, either...there was zero chemistry. It might not have been so noticeable if it hadn't been for Fisher. I warmed up to the character just a little bit by the end of season four. I think the scene with Margaret Brown during the cricket episode really sold me; that was sweet, and probably one of my favorites in the whole series. Plus, Ben Aldridge is a seriously beautiful man. Those eyes? Oh, my lord.

I didn't really like what happened to Dorcas in season four. The character was much more appealing when she was an independent postmistress and NOT mooning over a man. I wouldn't have minded her with James Dowland. At least, I wouldn't have minded her with JD the way he was before he started moping and refusing to get out of bed just because Dorcas wouldn't marry him. What a whiner.

I could say more, but I've already written a novel. :) I'll just add one final comment: what was UP with Alf's hair during season three? Boy was sporting a serious fro. Fisher needed a haircut, too. Did the show have to fire their stylist or something?

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Was I the only one who thought the male love interests got worse as the seasons went on?

No, you are definitely not alone. I think this may be one of the reasons the show got a bit boring for me.

I'll be honest; I didn't watch season four. I watched series 1-3 on a marathon, but I didn't have the energy for four since 3 left me wanting. Also, I know what happens and I wasn't particularly interested.

I didn't mind that this was not a plot driven show. I really liked the main cast for the most part: Dorcas, Thomas, Laura, Robert. I've a soft spot for Brendan Coyle here and North & South; he was also one of the reasons I started watching Downton Abbey. Even though he was self-righteous at times, I thought he was one of the better characters. Emma and Robert's relationship grounded things for me since they seemed to be the only stable romantic relationship of the whole show until Thomas & Margaret.

Seriously, was it realistic for a girl to date so much in those days?

With the way Dorcas and Laura had relationships, I always got the sense the relationships were more modern and they put it in this old timey setting. It was a bit disconcerting.

I liked Laura with Fisher best if only because the actors seemed to have a lot of chemistry. He seemed to be her first love and one which will always be with her, but I saw why she let him go and went with Daniel. He was boring, but he was stable. Poor Alf too because I think he and Laura had a shot, but oh well.

Dorcas's men were even worse. I didn't believe her at all when she told Lady Whoever that she'd never really loved Timothy or she wouldn't have let anything keep them apart. The story of them still caring for each other after so many years was interesting but I'm really glad they left because the constant bitterness of his wife got old really fast. JD could have been a good match for Dorcas, but the whole story to take his kid from him was too forced.

I think I read somewhere that JS thought that Dorcas did love Sir Timothy and wouldn't have minded them together at the end. I liked their storyline a lot. I also liked her and Mr Delafield; they had a lot of chemistry too. I wouldn't have minded her and JD either. But of course, like all men on this show, he leaves. But I never understood why she ended up caring for his son? Also, I prefer the first actor they got for that more than the second. They just made it as if JD had never existed.

The continuity on the show was not always particularly good and it kinda irked me, a lot of characters who made an impact on the main cast would leave and would not be mentioned again.

I still enjoyed this show, but I'm not particularly surprised or sad it was cancelled. It had solid acting, really nice scenery at times and as a period piece, I enjoyed the farming and town life of the era.

Frogintheglen

Frogintheglen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Oh, can't believe I forgot to mention...the Reverend Benedict Marley from season four? Thank God he was only in one episode because he scared the CRAP out of me. There was something about his whole demeanor that was just creepy. The picture of him with the snake around his neck on the season four DVD box was frightening.

Also...Queenie and Twister. I can see how people may have been irritated by Twister, but the way that Queenie dealt with him was one of my favorite things about the show. She accepted him and his issues, but she also knew when to draw the line and not take any of his nonsense.