1-1: "Pilot Episode" 2008.01.13 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

341 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

TV Guide sez:

Debut: The sci-fi drama, based on the "Terminator" movies, follows a fugitive mother and son on the run from cyborgs sent from the future. First up: Sarah (Lena Headey) and John (Thomas Dekker) pack up and move to a new town. Meanwhile, a Terminator is alerted to their movement and sent to assassinate John. Little do they know that another cyborg (Summer Glau) has been sent to protect John and ensure his eventual leadership of the revolution.

Edited by TWoP Dietrich, Jan 13, 2008 @ 5:54 PM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

For the most part I liked it okay but really did not one of them think running around a freeway naked was going to put them on TV?! Things haven't changed that much since 1999

Edited by SanLynn, Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:04 PM.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Lines that should have been in this episode: "Mom, please don't touch me while we're naked."

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Total geekgasm, from "Come with me if you want to live" to actually seeing Sarah and John in the nude time bubble, plus Summer doing the "thinker" pose. This is clearly the work of people who love the movies and know every bit of them, and I'm totally hooked already.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Summer Glau's way too old to be playing high school.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

That was awesome.

drowninmybrain

drowninmybrain

Channel Surfer

Okay, I fully admit to not paying attention to the beginning of the episode but did they travel into the future or the past? I'm not sure where they started.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

I liked it okay. The action was well done, and the story is somewhat interesting. I kind of winced whenever 'acting' was required of our leads, but Terminator was never about acting anyway.
So was that Greg Morris that replaced Joe Morton as Dyson?

fredscott

fredscott

Couch Potato

So far, so good, IMHO.

I'm guessing that Future!John sent back engineers and other resistance fighters to prepare things like the bank safety deposit boxes.

Present!John still seems like a bit of a wuss to me, but he got better towards the end.

"Isotope? Is this thing nuclear?"
"Not really."

It will be interesting to see how the would be husband and FBI agent figure into all this.

I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow.

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

Not bad, not bad at all. Looking forward to tomorrow night and Prison Break and SCC back 2 back.

rockybeach

rockybeach

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

All I could think of was, who is the fiance? Then I realized it was Dennis, the Beeper King! Hehehe. I guess he won't be getting back together with Liz Lemon anytime soon.

I thought it was pretty good. I like that it seems pretty in tune with the movie and River kicks ass!

Redthorn

Redthorn

Loyal Viewer

Okay, I fully admit to not paying attention to the beginning of the episode but did they travel into the future or the past? I'm not sure where they started.

They started in 1999 and jumped to 2007. (To March, actually, so they won't arrive for 2.5 months yet, heh.)

I wonder why they couldn't get Joe Morton's picture for Dyson? He's been over on Eureka as a regular (Henry Deacon) so it's not like he's shunning television.

Edited by Redthorn, Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:44 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

I may be a tad bit prejudiced, since I loved Summer Glau in Firefly, but damn, is she everything that The Bionic Woman Part Deux isn't.

I believe that Summer Glau is a badass cyborg. I really liked Lena Headey as Sarah, and I didn't think I'd be that impressed since I loved Linda Hamilton so much. I even thought Thomas Dekker was well-cast as John.

This shows a lot of promise; I'm going to go along for the ride, at least for a while. I liked this a whole lot better than I thought I would. I like pleasant surprises.

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

I thought the episode was great, and I will definitely watch tomorrow. A few preditable moments: I knew the substitute and the pretty girl would end up being terminators. I did not know they would travel to 2007. Yay!

They should have realized the stir they'd create appearing naked in public. I wonder how much control they have over where they land. I definitely thought Sarah Connor would have set up some kind of code so they wouldn't get fooled by a Terminator impersonating them. I was also disappointed by many of the special effects. The shot of the T walking on top of the school bus was horrible as were all of the background scenes of them driving.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

They started in 1999 and jumped to 2007. (To March, actually, so they won't arrive for 2.5 months yet, heh.)

It's 2008. (For us, they jumped to 2007)

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Impressive. I was annoyed with the plethora of commercial breaks, but otherwise I was impressed.

Whether or not Thomas Dekker and Lena Headley look like their predescessors, they do really look like mother and son. Same eyes.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:10 PM

I can't believe I enjoyed the pilot as much as I did. The bank scene surprised me as I wasn't expecting the clever idea of building weapons and a time travel machine in the past. Given the strike, this show will compete with Lost as my favorite winter series.

drowninmybrain

drowninmybrain

Channel Surfer

Thank you, Redhorn!

Now that's cleared up...I really liked the episode. It was dramatic and had a lot of action though I'm not sure how I feel about the actress who plays Sarah. I'll keep watching!

phoebepoodle

phoebepoodle

Couch Potato

Why, oh why, can't the evil terminator hit the broad side of a barn? I haven't seen so much wasted ammo since the A-Team. Why does no one seem to know about Sara Conner's exploits (i.e. - the destruction of Cyberdyne Systems, etc) from 1997? We had CNN back then, you know. Why is John Connor such an emo p#ssy? Tune in tommorrow....

badkitty1969

badkitty1969

Video Archivist

Seriously

Ok, I watched it. Meh. The time jump totally violates geek canon. The FBI dude is annoying. I remain umoved.

When's Heroes coming back?

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

The traffic sign said that the roadwork was being sometime in September.

Omega II

Omega II

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

This like the third time I've seen the pilot, and it still rocks!

Seeing Nick Wechsler (Kyle Valenti) as a NM deputy was total geek moment.

I am I the only one who noticed Sarah's grin when Cameron beat up the guys for their clothes?

Agreed, she should have been a student teacher or something.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Nevermind. Already answered twice. Damn my slow fingers. lol

I liked the way they used the movie's theme in this episode. Very well done.

Edited by SanLynn, Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:17 PM.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Same. She no longer appears to be a teenager, whether 15 or 19.

I thought it was a great start. Summer did a great job as did the dude who played the bad Terminator. Very impressed with the casting of John and Sarah. They really look related and played off each other well. We'll see how it goes, it is on FOX after all.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

Anyone else think Summer looked a lot like Jewel Staite when she was playing "regular girl" in the early scenes?

I really love the time travel conceit, as it's a very neat way to have Sarah in the show while keeping the third film canonical.

Plus, Ryan O'Reily! I absolutely can't wait to see how he'll fit back into things.

Arminius

Arminius

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

Liked it, loved Summer, but here's the thing: A Terminator would never, ever waste even 5 seconds off chasing a target so it could turn around and menacingly say "Class dismissed."

Warden

Warden

Stalker

And way too hot. Not one pimple? Seriously.

I do like the casting of SC. She's not "too hot" and (looks) plays the part of the ragged, haggard mom very well. I'll tune in tomorrow.

from carfax

from carfax

Loyal Viewer

For the most part I liked it okay but really did not one of them think running around a freeway naked was going to put them on TV?!

I think that's going to be the Achilles heel of the entire series. The thing that made the first movie so cool was the most epic struggle in the history of mankind was fought under the noses of millions and went virtually unnoticed (except for the 17 or so cops killed in the police station and the oil truck explosion.)

The problem with the huge stunts is that they will attract the attention of the public and this struggle is supposed to be out of sight of the public.

That said ... so far, so good. I'll be tuning in tomorrow night to see what happens next.

SugarcultAddict

SugarcultAddict

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

Seeing Nick Wechsler (Kyle Valenti) as a NM deputy was total geek moment.

I know I was like "Awww he followed in his dads footsteps"

I liked it, didn't change much from the original pilot, I never judge anything on the first episode. This was pretty good for start, and upcoming episodes look great, I'll stick with it.

I did kind of roll my eyes and they had the little "What model are you, you seem different from the others" "I am different" exchange. Probably because you could hear the spawn of a million John/Cameron shippers lol.

Meshakhad

Meshakhad

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

Not bad. Not bad at all. Definitely worth watching.

I mean, I want to see how they can keep the plot open-ended. If they can stretch the plot over several seasons without killing the pace, then I will keep watching.