Lena Headey: Can You Please Stop Asking Me About Linda Hamilton?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

130 replies to this topic

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

Seriously. Homegirl is gonna get a twitch.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

Awsome title. The other question she's going to develop a twitch about is her exercise routine. Either she's ripped or why isn't she ripped, "cause wasn't Linda Hamilton ripped in T2"?

lumpia

lumpia

Couch Potato

• Interests:Shopping is my therapy.

Posted Jan 10, 2008 @ 4:23 AM

Word to the thread title. Another twitch inducing question is "have you seen the Terminator movies?"

How about, "I have a question for Summer..."

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

Unpopular opinion, but... she's just not good looking enough. I realize that she is supposed to act mainly as a mother, but still, she just doesn't do it for me. And that aside from looking nothing at all like LH.

Let's hope she is an amazing actress, because otherwise I just have no idea why she was cast (again, not that goodlooking, doesn't looke like the person who originated the role). She reminds me way too much of that chick who was cast as the lead in Bionic Woman.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2008 @ 12:55 PM

Mommy?

Well, IMO, she's: a) smokin-good-looking, b) an exceptional actress who's definitely got the goods for playing very physical and somewhat tweaked, and c) nothing at all like Michelle Ryan -- unless one counts being from the same country.

By the way, I read an interview with her yesterday and she mentioned that she and Dekker took a trip to the Whole Foods in Albuquerque. Can you imagine? I would drop my produce if I ever saw LH in the local Whole Foods.

Edited by DEM, Jan 10, 2008 @ 12:55 PM.

lumpia

lumpia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

she's just not good looking enough

Whoa! It's kind of odd that you feel that way, which you are absolutely entitled to, it's just that I've read criticism that she is actually a bit too pretty for the role. I personally don't think she needs to look like Linda - I think that would be the worst way to cast someone, imho.

I really think, despite her beauty, that she's an amazing actress and very capable of creating her own Sarah Connor. I think she'll win the skeptics over. I love Linda Hamilton and her Sarah Connor and the only way I can appreciate both actresses is to appreciate their interpretations of the character separately and equally.

I remember Brandon Routh's performance as Superman and to be honest, that performance was just a mimic of Christopher Reeves' Superman. While it was a good mimic, all I could think was, Routh should've made the role his own (if he were capable of it or if the director let him) - why do an impersonation? He was completely overshadowed by the memory of Reeves.

Edited by lumpia, Jan 10, 2008 @ 9:27 PM.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2008 @ 11:34 AM

See, she might be beautiful (maybe classic beautiful), but to me she just doesn't have any MILF appeal. She looks soccer mom rather than escaped from an asylum and having boinked various weapon dealers mom.

(for the record, I thought she was good in 300; but maybe her type of looks might just not be as suited for TV; but who knows, I'm just basing this off the pilot episode; maybe it gets better later into the season)

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2008 @ 2:02 PM

See, she might be beautiful (maybe classic beautiful), but to me she just doesn't have any MILF appeal. She looks soccer mom rather than escaped from an asylum and having boinked various weapon dealers mom. -- LolaRuns

Heh. My brother is here and would like me to ask you where you grew up so he can meet the soccer moms you grew up around.

Her movies have been hit or miss for me (IMO Aberdeen is her best role so far), but I've always liked her. For a long time she was one of those actors who would show up in a movie I rented because of another actor and she became one of my British H!ITG people. Hopefully the folks who don't buy her as Sarah will come around or at least be vaguley ok with her casting. It's never fun when there's a show you like overall but aren't sold on the lead.

For those of you who'll be up at 12:35 am (or if you're an insomniac like me and need something new to watch) she going to be on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson tonight.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

Maybe the hair style does its (negative) part to make her more frumpy than she has to be.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

• Interests:Took my money,<br />I couldn't buy nothin'<br />I'm sick of this brave new world<br />And my whole life was like a picture of a sunny day

Posted Jan 12, 2008 @ 6:31 AM

Funny, I never noticed before that they both have the same initials LH.

I thought Lena looked great on Craig Ferguson, she seemed very natural and disarming and got on well with Craig. I love that she has a dog named Angela Lansbury which she describes as looking like a "fat squashed Ewok." They could have shown a better clip that featured her more, though.

I haven't seen 300 or any of her other recent movies, and before this the only thing I can really remember seeing her in was a British romantic comedy from 1999 called Twice Upon a Yesterday with Douglas Henshall and Penelope Cruz, where she played a vindictive ex-girlfriend or something. Looking at her filmography, it turns out I've seen a few other British movies she's been in (The Remains of the Day, Face, Onegin, Possession), but I saw them too long ago to remember her roles in them. As for her playing Sarah Connor, I haven't seen the pilot yet but from the pictures and clips I've seen she looks fine in the part as far as I can tell. I'm reserving judgment on her portrayal until the show airs, but keeping an open mind. She's definitely attractive enough, I think, although since I see Sarah as a more deglamorized character I think it'll be more important for her to radiate strength and toughness from the inside.

LexClark4ever

LexClark4ever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

I really think, despite her beauty, that she's an amazing actress and very capable of creating her own Sarah Connor. I think she'll win the skeptics over. I love Linda Hamilton and her Sarah Connor and the only way I can appreciate both actresses is to appreciate their interpretations of the character separately and equally.

I remember Brandon Routh's performance as Superman and to be honest, that performance was just a mimic of Christopher Reeves' Superman. While it was a good mimic, all I could think was, Routh should've made the role his own (if he were capable of it or if the director let him) - why do an impersonation? He was completely overshadowed by the memory of Reeves.

Really sorry to nitpick...but the name of the actor from the Superman movies is Christopher Reeve, not Reeves. George Reeves played Superman in the 1952-1958 tv series.

Topic: I'm willing to wait and see about LH. She sounds like she'll make a great Sarah Connor.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

I never really thought of Sarah Connor in T2 as "hot." Linda Hamilton was pretty but in that role? Its not like weapons dealers are the Brad Pitts of the world. Their girlfriends probably aren't uber-hotties. This Sarah Connor looks pretty good to me.

snarkyb

snarkyb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Since there are so many comments about Lena's looks, I thought the picture of her in the file (when she escaped from the institution) looked a lot like Linda H from T2 (while she was in the institution - hair all over the place). And, I've always thought that Lena Headey looks like a slightly older Kiera Knightly...I wonder if they are related????

D Jay

D Jay

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

Lena Headey did well. I didn't recognize her as 300's Queen Gorgo. Her accent was either gone or good, however you want to do it. She had to remake Sarah Connor for the series to work. After the first episode, she (the character) seemed a little too emotional and not practical enough but it is the pilot and she (the actress) has to start somewhere.

And am I the only one who thinks it's a little odd that both Sarahs have the same initials?

ETA: Aside from Sweetjane.

Edited by D Jay, Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:47 PM.

thingything

thingything

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

She's nowhere near as bad as Michelle Ryan, but honestly, what's up with the British imports for TV shows? Are they agreeing to be paid in scones instead of dollars?

Her generic American accent was pretty good, although her character's paranoid readyness made it easy to overlook her clipped precise delivery.

Also, she's only 14 years older than the dude playing her son and it shows. Kinda skeeves me out.

Edited by thingything, Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:42 PM.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:44 PM

She's nowhere near as bad as Michelle Ryan, but honestly, what's up with the British imports for action movies? Are they agreeing to be paid in scones instead of dollars?

The British actors are willing to work for a lot less than their American counterparts for the same role. Also, the amount they're getting is still more money than they would get if they were working on British television. So, that is why there has been an influx of them on American TV.

I thought her accent was really good and hope that they make her more kick ass in the future episodes.

Edited by justsmile, Jan 13, 2008 @ 10:49 PM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 11:03 PM

Also, she's only 14 years older than the dude playing her son and it shows.

Yup, all of the ages are off, but to my way of thinking, Sarah is the title character (and first cast), so it's Dekker's and Glau's ages that are most problematic, not Headey's.

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

It's really a shame that they can't cast a woman who really could have a 15 year old son.

iheartgoodwatchin

iheartgoodwatchin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

Not only that British actors are willing to be paid a bit less, I don't think there are very athletic actresses out there around her age right now. Everyone is either too young, too skinny, or too soft for the role.

I think there aren't a lot of US actresses with distinctive character right now which means that there hasn't been an influx of new solid actresses with a lead quality. I guess I am not surprised they went with a foreign actress. It is either that or get a complete unknown.

As for Sarah Connor, I think Lena should have gained a bit of weight before turning muscular - I think she just got rid of what little fat she had and now she's really tawny. Linda Hamilton (yes I think it's kind of cool they share initials) was actually just as tawny to me but had a bigger build to start with. She already looks older than IRL but I think her boy is just too much of a 20 year old for it to look believable.

Station Zebra

Station Zebra

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 12:20 AM

I eschewed 300 with a firm hand, but I thought she was charming as a lesbian florist. For Sarah Connor she's just not butch enough. I think she's interesting, and cute in a freckly sort of way, and there was a moment there when she was shooting up the living room where I was all, Yes! But she has to put on some muscle mass.

where is truth

where is truth

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 10:44 AM

Also, she's only 14 years older than the dude playing her son and it shows. Kinda skeeves me out.

Which is a problem in most shows-- almost no movie or show has the "appropriate" ages being played, so that didn't bother me much, and the styling makes Headey look a LOT rougher around the edges and older than she does ordinarily. It didn't jolt me too badly.

It's really a shame that they can't cast a woman who really could have a 15 year old son.

Lena Headey will be 35 this year, so that's not cutting it so close as to be unbelievable or offensive to women who ARE old enough to hav e a son that old.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 11:04 AM

But Sarah is only meant to be 33 - hardly a stretch - having had John aged 18.

willagirl

willagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

I thought Lena did a great job. Sarah has this great weight on her shoulders and I think LH portrayed that really well.

The only distracting thing is that she reminds me of Brooke Langton. They can seriously be sisters.

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

I thought she was supposed to be 19 in the first movie? But, still, the age difference is supposed to be, at most, about 20 years. She is definitely closer to the age of her character than Dekker is to the age of his character.

(And, honestly, I'd rather a 20 year old play his role than a 15 year old.)

I don't think the age thing is a big deal.

phoebepoodle

phoebepoodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

But she has to put on some muscle mass

Wordy Mc Wordstein to the mutha-frickin' word. 5'4 and 110 can still be hard and cut as nails. She's just too thin. So, Lena, drop and give me 20, soldier.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

So, Lena, drop and give me 20, soldier.

Or better yet, put on 20 pounds.

QuakerOats

QuakerOats

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

I thought she was charming as a lesbian florist

I adore that movie-and i'm not a lesbian! For some reason she reminded me of Kiera Knightly throughout it. She has a few films coming up so hopefully that and this show can only help make her more recognizable. I also agree that while Linda Hamilton was equally thin, she had a lot more muscle.

Edit-

I've always thought that Lena Headey looks like a slightly older Kiera Knightly...I wonder if they are related????

I dont think they are, but apparently we are not the only people that think that. Granted not in all of the pictures used as examples but certenly a few. Also, I'd have to say that Lena would be the hotter of the two - Kiera's face is more squareish.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r4VnhkcsZwk
I also think she sounds a bit like her too - and no, not just because of their accent.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1Nag0PITc

Since I'm on a youtube craze- here is her interview on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson a few days ago. I get amused when dogs get a first and last name.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Xnba3KkMZk

Edited by QuakerOats, Jan 14, 2008 @ 11:55 PM.

janeway1390

janeway1390

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2008 @ 2:38 AM

I adore that movie-and i'm not a lesbian!

Me too! If not for that movie I would never have tuned into TSCC. Now all we need is Piper Perabo to show up as a cyborg, fall madly in love with Sarah, and help save the world. What? It could happen . . .

Edited by janeway1390, Jan 15, 2008 @ 2:41 AM.

lumpia

lumpia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2008 @ 7:59 AM

I think I would be gobsmacked if Piper guest starred as a florist.

Seriously, she could play a resistance fighter. When Sarah asked Kyle Reese what the women were like in the future, he said they were good fighters.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

I knew I knew her from somewhere. I saw 300 and liked her there. I like her here. I think she looks great and I have no problem with believing she has a son that old. TD looks young to me.