Cyrus Lupo: Kind to Kids, the Elderly, & Confiscated Dogs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

dpreid

dpreid

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

As with Cutter, I like this character thus far as well. He gives the impression of being Goren's quiet yet intense and seething younger brother. I loved the way he spoke with the man with Alzheimer's in episode two. Whatever one thinks of him, he is a huge step up from last season's detective who shall remain nameless.

Marl

Marl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 2:57 PM

Personally, I'm hoping for a one line wrap up of the sister-in-law backstory. If we get another season of Rey Curtis type family drama I'll be exceedingly disappointed.

Other than that though, I liked Lupo. Not crazy about how he was introduced, but I'm really glad they gave Ed another guy to play off of. I detected the slightest spark of chemistry, so he's ok in my book.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 3:55 PM

Well, I adore Jeremy Sisto, so I'm already biased but I really like the Lupo character (even if I'm not totally sold on the name, yet). However, I agree that the sil storyline needs to get wrapped up quickly and I'm hoping Lupo doesn't delve into freak outs and break downs as JS is wont to pick characters that do. Don't get me wrong, I love a good freak out, I just don't want one every week. I'd rather see Sisto play a quiet yet intense yet snarky character for a change (ala his Kidnapped character).

SannyD

SannyD

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 6:14 PM

so he is love with his sister in law. okay so he is getting her an AP job at the precinct or did i misunderstand what the badguy/goodguy ed thing was about at the end?

Marl

Marl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 6:45 PM

Nah, the good guy/bad guy thing was just a little kid identifying a big black guy as a bad guy.

But, a blurb in the Boston Herald says, "New detective Cyrus Lupo (Jeremy Sisto, “Six Feet Under”) shares a past with his newly widowed sister-in-law. His partner, Detective Ed Green (Jesse L. Martin), begins to eye a future with her." Love triangle?? Noooooooo...

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

Those who are familiar with Jeremy's history, may have noticed that his ex-wife, Marisa Ryan, was in the second epi "Darkness" during the blackout. Several women were talking on the street - two with Greene and one with Lupo. She was the one holding a glass of wine and suggested that he should walk her home. "My husband is out of town ... whatever happens during a blackout doesn't count."

Pavulonna

Pavulonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

I love Jeremy sisto! So glad to see him on this show. i agree no freakouts. I hope they will stick to what's tried and true and just concentrate on the crimes and how they are punished. A few personal moments here and there might be okay, but i was fine with small things like how cyrus interacted with his sil's children (awwwwww) and how he interacted witht hat old man with altzheimers disease. Sorry can't type today I guess! anyway, he handled him so well when he was fiddling with his tie and grabbing his shirt unbottoning it. lupo kept very calm and cool and was actually sweet about the whole thing. It was a great moment when the detectives realized that the old man was never going to be able to answer their questions properly.

Toast8

Toast8

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Suddenly it all makes sense!

From Entertainment Weekly:Sisto came up with Lupo's backstory: The detective just came off four years working on terrorism intel in Europe, and his brother — who died in the first episode — was married to Lupo's ex-fiancé for whom he still pines. ''I've been told that I have more backstory than any character in the last 10 years,'' says Sisto. When do the producers tell him that? He laughs, ''Usually when I'm asking for character stuff.''

ljande

ljande

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Jesse L Martin and Jeremy Sisto on the same show? I must have been a very good girl. Happy birthday to me :)

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

Best line:

"Four years overseas chasing terrorists and now I'm the 'pants police'."

KatieBeth83

KatieBeth83

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2008 @ 9:34 AM

I'm sneaking out of my cave of lurkdom to ask if I was the only one who thought Jeremy looked HOT in this week's episode? While its not a completely professional look for a detective, Jeremy's whole unshaven-loose-tie-wild-curls distracted me during the entire episode. And when he and Green were in the car talking to the Steel boys, and the light was hitting his eyes....SWOON. I think TPTB should write that look into Lupo's scripts; I had to watch the episode twice just to actually focus on the story line. I am LOVE with this weekly dose of Jeremy, even if it does mean he's not acting all crazy-like.

Please excuse my teenybopper moment. lol

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

I like the scruff, too. I guess it`s too much to ask that he morph into Serpico at some point, huh?

ETA: If thepreview for next week is any indication, my wish may come true!

Edited by petitchanteuse, Jan 31, 2008 @ 1:12 AM.

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 2:04 AM

So now we have more details on Lupo.
He's a conscientious bed-partner with cold feet - he wears socks to bed.
He's studying law at night school - hoping to make junior partner some day
He visited an online chat room in college - and only if inebriated will he reveal the sordid details
He has a dog named Otto (for a minute, I thought they were going to show a pic of Sisto's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Winston)
He is totally aware of the hypnotic effect he has on the female species, and he is not averse to using it to his advantage to gain access to information he might otherwise need to a warrant to get
anything I forgot?

Pavulonna

Pavulonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Just that he is a total tease! He beguiled 2 different women on this last episode, just to get info he wanted! He is too delicious!

DonnaJ

DonnaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 7:32 PM

Lupo reminds me of a younger, less quirky Robert Goren. Quiet, intelligent & introspective. He's also got that beard stubble thing going which is very sexy. And he broods, which I like.

They should put an end to this whole sister-in-law ongoing storyline. What is her name, BTW? She obviously isn't into him anymore, so he needs to move on.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 12:05 PM

Something to add about Lupo that I find very appealing: He is patient and kind to small children and old people. The two times we have seen him interact with his niece and nephew, he has been very sweet and loving with them. They also seem to like him very much, and since he has been gone for 4 years and I think they would only have been toddlers when he left, I think he might have had to work at that a little bit. He obviously wants to be a part of their lives very much. (Too bad the annoying SIL has to be a part of that too!) In the episode about the blackout, when he and Ed were talking to the father of one of the criminals in the nursing home, Lupo was very calm and patient with the old man, even after it was obvious he was senile. I liked how he sat with him for a moment and kept his questions very quiet and low-key, even though it must have been very frustrating not to be able to get the information that they needed from him. Lupo also sat quietly while the old man played with his shirt, and didn't get impatient or try to bat his hands away. He knew how to keep the old man calm. Contrast this with his small bursts of impatience and anger with perps, and I see some interesting contrasts in him. I like his character very much!

DonnaJ

DonnaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 6:52 PM

I really like him too, Willow.

Especially his annoyance in "Tango" with the selfish college guy & the parking lot attendant. He doesn't approve of men who do not help women & who turn the other cheek. He's rather chivalrous. I like that about him. He looked so sad/resigned/disgusted when they found the girl in the dumpster.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 7:10 PM

Lupo reminds me of a younger, less quirky Robert Goren.

Oooh, I don't see this at all. Goren is not just quirky, he is creepy. I really only like CI when Chris Noth is on. Sometimes I switch off CI episodes before I even finish because Goren creeps me out so. I've talked to people about him, and my knee jerk reaction. Some agree. Others just love his character.

Lupo is MUCH hotter than Goren. In fact, I find nothing attractive about him.

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

Especially his annoyance in "Tango" with the selfish college guy & the parking lot attendant.

Did you see him in the interrogation room after questioning Titto? He shoved the table into the guy's chest!

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2008 @ 10:01 AM

Did you see him in the interrogation room after questioning Titto? He shoved the table into the guy's chest!

Yeah, that must have smarted a little! You know, for all that Jeremy Sisto can look a little schlubby sometimes, and Lord knows that wardrobe's first priority isn't to make him a sex symbol (more's the pity!), he seems to be pretty strong and fit. Think about all the running he's done since he came on to the show. He's the new chase-down-the-perp guy! I remember in the blackout episode when he was running after the perp on the bike and blowing the whistle at the same time, I thought "He's got to be in some kind of shape to be able to do that!" Grant you, I know it is done in more than one take, but I read that he was in a movie about Olympic runners once and did a lot of running to train for that.

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2008 @ 1:05 AM

I read that he was in a movie about Olympic runners once and did a lot of running to train for that.

Found the following quote from an interview he gave to Cosmo in 1998 regarding how his natural ability for running helped him to prepare for his role as Frank Shorter in the Steve Prefontaine bio pic "Without Limits".

"I've always been fairly fast, because I had to run from people in middle school," says Jeremy Sisto, 23. "It was a little like Forrest Gump; I was chased by bullies and outran them for, like, 10 miles."

ETA: Another interview around the same time - this one for the Levi's ad that aired in the UK in 1998.

"EAT your heart out, James Dean. New Levi's boy Jeremy Sisto is a rebel-and-a-half without a cause.
The 6ft 2in beanpole actor has a mind and body of his own and refuses to work out to gain the six-pack stomach of his rippling predecessors.

"I don't bother going to the gym. I'm really skinny so it doesn't do much," he rasps in his Chicago drawl. "I went for the audition because I needed some money. I don't think the sex symbol image means much ...

Well, 10 years on, he certainly isn't a scrawny bean pole any longer, thank God. I like that Lupes is able to keep up with the perps on the run.

Edited by petitchanteuse, Mar 2, 2008 @ 1:51 AM.

DonnaJ

DonnaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Thanks for the link to the Levi Ad, Petit.

I barely recognised Sisto in that commercial. He was a little too thin. It shows especially in his face.

I love the friendly interchange between Lupo & Green - hate to see that go. I'm afraid that Anderson is going to be portrayed all brash & hot headed, givng Lupo a hard time. The writers like conflict.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 2, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

I think I wouldn't have recognized him, except for the facial hair.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

Mmmm, Levi ad. He does have a nice a**, doesn't he?

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2008 @ 7:54 PM

He does have a nice a**, doesn't he?

Yes, he does!

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 10:58 AM

Ack! I can't get the video to play for me! It won't load! Ack! (Shakes computer) Stupid 'puter!

Rfth

Rfth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

I like JEremey Sisto, but I really wish he'd shave. That 5 o'clock shadow makes him look like a slob. He's so much better looking when he shaves.
Either grow a beard, or get up a little earlier, and shave!

Parae434

Parae434

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

I think the overall schlubbiness of his appearance is part of his character. It's really apparent in "illegal" when he and Cutter have their law school conversation while waiting for the shell casing identification. Cutter, the lawyer, is sitting there looking clean cut and in a crisp suit. Lupo is sitting across from him, battling on his second go round at night law school, partially shaved in a wrinkled, needs to go to the dry cleaners "suit." It was an interesting juxtaposition (many thanks to my 10th grade English teacher for that gem).

The scruff is just who he is, and if it makes you feel any better, this makes him the anti-Fontana.

petitchanteuse

petitchanteuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

Ack! I can't get the video to play for me! It won't load! Ack! (Shakes computer) Stupid 'puter!

The second clip I posted? It's a scene from Six Feet Under, season 2 (Someone Elses Eyes) where Billy drops trou so Claire can take pictures of his self-mutilation handywork with the box cutter.

You can search for it on Youtube.

That 5 o'clock shadow makes him look like a slob. He's so much better looking when he shaves.

Oooh, man! I love his scruff and curly hair! But it is more suited to a casual look rather than a suit and tie. Like Parae434 says, I think it's part of who he is - along with the ill-fitting suits and unpolished shoes. It's part of the Lupo charm.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2008 @ 7:47 AM

Yeah, I tried to get it to play, Petit, but the youtube clip just keeps grinding and never gets loaded. (Wow, that sounded vaguely dirty, somehow! Hee!) I watched a TNT mini-series last night that was made in 2002, "Caesar", starring Jeremy Sisto as Gaius Julius Caesar. It was okay, not great. I did like the fact that Sisto, who was all of 27 or 28 at the time this was filmed, played Caesar from age 20 to his death at around the age of 60. The mini-series played loose and fast with historical facts (imagine that!), but it also starred Chris Noth as Pompey. So they had worked together before the orbit of L&O.

Well, after last night's episode, we see more evidence of Lupo's kindness to children (and small animals, I would imagine!). He was so gentle and kind with the daughter, and I loved how he got on Cutter for being mean to her! Even when he was taking down the kid with the knife who was going to try and kill himself, you could tell he was holding him down with as little force as possible, while still trying to comfort him (It's going to be all right). Contrast this with how disgusted and in-your-face he can be with criminals, and could I love this character any more? *Sigh* The love in my squooishy mommy heart knows no bounds...

Damn, that man can tell a lie without batting an eyelash! We've seen that several times, too. Makes me laugh every time. Oh, and did anyone else wonder if the scar on his leg was really his, or if it was makeup?

What really does it for me, though, is the voice. My new favorite voice in television and movies is Jeremy Sisto.