EADA Michael Cutter: Lawyer Who Juggles Chainsaws on the Side

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

196 replies to this topic

dpreid

dpreid

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

In some ways he is McCoy Jr. as others have said. At the same time, I like the fact that he doesn't seem to have the ego and isn't as self-assured as McCoy or Stone. He makes mistakes and admits it. Interesting character.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

Not sure if there will be individual threads on actors here, but if not, allow me to say here that Linus Roache? Disturbingly hot. Methinks I'll be watching this show for a while.

Sexylibrarian

Sexylibrarian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

You should check out Linus in Wings of the Dove. Great performance and I think he looks absolutely beautiful in the period costumes.

TeeKay

TeeKay

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

Additionally, you should see Linus in Priest. I fell in love with him in that and have become a hopeless fangirl of his. I tuned into L and O just to see him this week, guess I will watching from now on.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 4:48 PM

TeeKay - that's exactly where I saw him first too!

MFD

MFD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

Apparently I first saw him as Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins.

Good strong performance from him last night.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 5:10 PM

...and the British Invasion of American TV continues--they're becoming like Canadians!

I'd seen Linus in a couple of things but never really noticed him before. He's very interesting to watch and I love his chemistry with McCoy. There's always a hazard of cliche with the Look! A Maverick Who Bends the Rules! characters, but I think Linus will overcome it nicely.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 5:20 PM

He's very interesting to watch and I love his chemistry with McCoy. There's always a hazard of cliche with the Look! A Maverick Who Bends the Rules! characters, but I think Linus will overcome it nicely.

I agree; besides, he gets automatic cool points for being able to carry off the name "Linus."

SannyD

SannyD

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 6:06 PM

i wonder whats his story. im sensing a new englander accent boston maybe.
i like how he is tech savy where mccoy is old school lol

ChildoftheCorn

ChildoftheCorn

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

I agree, McCoy and Cutter have great chemistry. It eases the pain of not seeing McCoy in the courtroom.

Love his bat as a prop and how his office (McCoy's old office?) was disorganized and bare. But how did he afford a Blackberry on a City salary?

stroche

stroche

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

While he does look at times like McCoy, Jr. I think we'll see a much different EADA then before and, as seen with his "device" a much more adventurous and modern EADA that takes risks and when they fail, owns up to them...much different then McCoy. Good chemistry to start.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 10:04 AM

I love Linus Roache, and have ever since I saw him ages ago in Priest. I'd kind of lost track of him in the last few years, so when I saw that he was joining the cast of L&O, I had to start watching it for the first time ever. (I watch SVU, mostly to laugh at it, and CI, because it's sometimes actually pretty good, but have never watched the Mothership for some reason.)

I thought he did a very good job of keeping his natural accent under control. It slipped out here and there, especially when Cutter was getting agitated about something, but overall I thought he did a better job of sounding not-English than most English actors do.

BlueMouse

BlueMouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

Not sure if there will be individual threads on actors here, but if not, allow me to say here that Linus Roache? Disturbingly hot. Methinks I'll be watching this show for a while.

Oh man, I totally hear that. I tuned in to L&O simply because there was nothing new on and I was so desperately bored with reruns. Linus showed up and it got suddenly very warm in my living room. ~fanning self~ I think it's the eyes. I could just eat the man with a spoon.

Where was I? Oh right. He played on The Forgotten, didn't he? The guy who was supposed to make Julianne Moore forget her son? I'm pretty sure that's where I've seen him before.

Regardless, I'll definitely be watching (and drooling) in future.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

I can't believe I'd forgotten this, but Linus Roache and Creepy Je - I mean, Jeremy Sisto have worked together before: they were both in the regular cast of Kidnapped.

Edited by Sandman, Jan 4, 2008 @ 4:20 PM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

This is the first thing I've seen Linus Roache in and wow is he good. I think Cutter may be my favorite character. Sorry Van Buren.

Liv06

Liv06

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

I can't remember when last I watched an ep, before tuning in just to see Linus Roache last night. I'd seen him in Priest, Batman Begins and The Chronicles of Riddick as well. Feeling a little nostalgic, I found this last night, and yes, he and Robert Carlyle are still incredibly gorgeous together.

deisegirl1981

deisegirl1981

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2008 @ 5:01 PM

I love Linus Roache, and have ever since I saw him ages ago in Priest. I'd kind of lost track of him in the last few years, so when I saw that he was joining the cast of L&O, I had to start watching it for the first time ever. (I watch SVU, mostly to laugh at it, and CI, because it's sometimes actually pretty good, but have never watched the Mothership for some reason.)

Amen to the Linus love! I first saw him in Priest as well and thought that he gave an amazing performance as well as being extremely gorgeous. I just gave up looking for information on him for ages because there was nothing out there it seemed but last year I did watch Find Me Guilty in which he played a DA type with a similar accent to the one he uses on L&O. It's a bit of a strange film but lots and lots of Linus so fine by me! I haven't seen too many recent L&O episodes but since I first read back in August that he was going to be joining the cast I have been eagerly awaiting the new series. I was not disappointed, though his hairstyle is increasingly like his father's which is a bit disconcerting ;-)

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

He really does remind me of a young Jack McCoy, in his cadence and delivery. But that's a good thing. I miss having Jack in the courtroom so this is kind of a nice half-step.

NoUnos

NoUnos

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:50 AM

It is seriously becoming a habit for me to rewind and rewatch every scene involving Cutter, I'm obsessed and need a program!

The moments in "Bottomless" where I wanted Mike to marry me:

"You ride a child's bicycle?"

"Business matters, with the company cop, flack, and lawyer. I don't see a businessman in this room."

"They'll have to bail you out of jail first."

"What's their speciality? Tolietries made of industrial chemicals?"

"Places where people die all the time, so who's going to notice a few with anti-freeze on their breath?"

"It's okay, you don't have to thank me."

Add to that I'm an absolute sucker for how he answers questions by becoming silent, like when he trailed off when telling Jack what kind of case they had without the pants, how he shrugged his shoulders when he was satisfied the cops hadn't told Fuller to bring in the pants, or how he contemplated Connie's question and then changed the subject.

Linus' body language often sells Mike more than anything else. When he confronted Jack about settling, his hands were on his hips, pushing his torso forward nearly the entire conversation. And he has absolutely nailed the nervous Cutter ticks. He constantly paces around the room, makes his hands busy with some sort of prop, he can't stand still. I'm sorry, I'm gushing, I'll stop now :)

Sexylibrarian

Sexylibrarian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 1:08 PM

"It's okay, you don't have to thank me."

That was my favorite part of the entire episode.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Jan 23, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

I think I like Cutter, but I'm sure I like his shirts with the seams in weird places. Weird to me, anyway. It's been so long since I've bought a shirt with buttons that for all I know that's how they make them now.

FutonPotato

FutonPotato

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2008 @ 1:27 AM

I can't remember when last I watched an ep, before tuning in just to see Linus Roache last night. I'd seen him in Priest, Batman Begins and The Chronicles of Riddick as well. Feeling a little nostalgic, I found this last night, and yes, he and Robert Carlyle are still incredibly gorgeous together.

Oh wow! I didn't make the connection to "Priest" until I came to the boards. I LOVED that film. (I'm a big Carlyle fan too.) I enjoyed Roache in the episode I saw. Really pleased with the changes. The show's got some freshness back.

dustdaughter

dustdaughter

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 5:27 PM

So glad there's a Cutter thread now! I'm loving his sarcastic remarks to suspects ("I'm sure you'll have lots of takers where you're going for the rest of your life," and "He'll be transported to the Tombs, where lights out is at ten."), his smartphone dependence and the way he argues 'inevitable discovery' to cover up his impetuous mistakes in nearly every other episode.

I first saw Roache in Kidnapped and then recognized him as Mr. Wayne in Batman Begins. He and Sisto are great additions to the cast. For the first time in a long time, I look forward to watching the Mothership every week.

faded hour

faded hour

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 6, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

I think I like Cutter, but I'm sure I like his shirts with the seams in weird places. Weird to me, anyway. It's been so long since I've bought a shirt with buttons that for all I know that's how they make them now.

I have been wondering about those shirts. My mother asked me if he was wearing princess seams.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Feb 6, 2008 @ 12:06 PM

My mother asked me if he was wearing princess seams.

That's awesome. The best I could come up with was "pin tucks" when trying to describe them to someone, even though I knew that wasn't quite right.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

My mother asked me if he was wearing princess seams.

Bwah! I'm totally going to think that every time I see him now.

But, what are those seams? I've never seen a men's shirt like that.

TimWil

TimWil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2008 @ 11:50 PM

I was actually Linus' stand-in for most of the current season (I had to leave L&O after 11 episodes to go work on a movie that I couldn't turn down). I genuinely adore Linus as an actor and as a person. The same goes for Alana.

It said in the initial script ("Called Home") that Cutter would never be sitting down, he'd always be up and moving and pacing back and forth and I thought FUCK. Oh, well, it kept me on my toes, heh heh. Cutter's got an absolutely wonderful moment in Wednesday's episode involving the word "accountant" that I think is one of the highlights of the season-for me it was, anyway. Sorry, don't have any answers about the weird-but-wonderful seams in the shirts-LOL. There's a great wardrobe team on that show-many of them have been there from the beginning, including the costume designer.

It's so gratifying to see that the show has achieved some sort of renaissance, both in ratings and public opinion. I'm very proud to have been a tiny part of the show. The cast, crew and production staff totally deserve the acclaim they're getting.

Edited by TimWil, Feb 12, 2008 @ 2:26 PM.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

Cool insights, TimWil, thanks for sharing! Does Linus revert to his natural accent in between takes or does he use the American one all the time on set? I've always wondered how some actors can stay in accent all the time; I guess it's just practice.
Did you get to meet any of the rest of the cast?

TimWil

TimWil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

Linus can turn his accent on and off like a faucet. Yes, he does revert back to his natural accent (London) in between takes. I've noted from previous work that Kate Beckinsale and Christian Bale have worked this way, too. I'm definitely impressed!

As for the rest of the cast, no, I've never officially met them but I can say from observance that Jesse Martin is an absolutely terrific, funny, and sweet guy beloved by everybody there and Epatha is one of the funniest, boisterous people I've ever seen on a set. However she certainly knows how to focus when it's time to work on a scene. Waterston is extremely focused, too. And, to elaborate from earlier, Linus and Alana are wonderful, wonderful people-so warm and kind and friendly to everyone on the set. What a pleasure it has been to work on the same set as them-I hope I get another chance when the show resumes filming-that's still up in the air at the moment.

Edited by TimWil, Feb 12, 2008 @ 2:29 PM.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 2:36 PM

What a pleasure it has been to work on the same set as them.

How cool TimWil! The main person you didn't mention is Lupos. Did you get any impression of him during your work at L & O?