The A-Team: If you have a problem...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

84 replies to this topic

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

I got impressed all over again with how the vibe of the cast was carried over perfectly from the show to the movie.

I loved that in 2 hours, minus the meet ups, the actors did a fantastic job of conveying how close the team was.

I'm really hoping the international ticket sales are enough for a sequel.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:05 PM

The funny part too about the movie is that while they killed people, they really didn't rack up a gigantic body count.

I'm glad it was never a "deep" show. If it was I wouldn't have been allowed to watch it. It was obvious they had demons and once in awhile each character had to battle them.

Oh yeah, if this show had been done now, they would all be suffering from severe post-traumatic stress syndrome. They'd probably explain Murdock's problems by saying that he saw a kid being killed brutally in Vietnam. I was very happy they kept the movie realitively light while realistically updating it (ie bad guys getting killed).

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:52 PM

The funny part too about the movie is that while they killed people, they really didn't rack up a gigantic body count.

Wasn't it the most violent show on television at that time? It'd be fun to see the reactions of the 1980s decision makers watching 24 as their 1980s self.

They'd probably explain Murdock's problems by saying that he saw a kid being killed brutally in Vietnam.

The only issue I had with the movie was Murdock was already in the VA. I've always interpreted the canon as Murdock ending up in the VA after they did the Hanoi mission since it's mentioned throughout the series that he was their pilot during that mission.

I've been trying to picture how they can do a sequel. The movie was a prequel to the series and left off where the series began. They could do a "client of the week" movie but I can't see that having much of an impact on the audience as a one and done. Relaunching the series on TV would be iffy with Burn Notice having a very similar premise.

The Grey Team was supposed to be the final episode since Hannibal told Stockwell they wouldn't work for him anymore and remain on the run they could have them finally cleared since the series was canceled without ever clearing them.

Huh, in researching the order of season 5 I discovered the ending of Family Reunion was a viewer picked ending. Interesting. I wonder what the effect keeping the identify of Face's father a secret would have had on Murdock. I'll venture to say either taken him to dark and scary places or been dropped by the writers (probably the later due to the nature of the show).

Edited by TheRedHead77, Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:57 PM.

Skinner

Skinner

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

Huh, in researching the order of season 5 I discovered the ending of Family Reunion was a viewer picked ending. Interesting. I wonder what the effect keeping the identify of Face's father a secret would have had on Murdock. I'll venture to say either taken him to dark and scary places or been dropped by the writers (probably the later due to the nature of the show).

Definitely interesting. I didn't know they crowd sourced like that in the '80s! I agree that the writers probably would have dropped a storyline about the ramifications of Murdock's secret-keeping. "Family Reunion" is an episode I've already seen -- out of sequence -- because of recommendations. While it's not my favorite, both DB and DS deliver undeniably strong performances. It was the first time I ever wanted to hug Face. :-)
As cheesy as this show can be, it's pleasantly surprising that the main crew (for the most part) is really talented.

I've still got my fingers crossed for a movie sequel. I figured they would take a "client of the week" approach, as well as dodging the feds, for the next plot.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 1:22 AM

Face's father's identity was a secret? Same with Benedict's Starbuck character on Battlestar Galactica. He really was playing the same character twice.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

I like to look back at things like this. While I was periforally aware that Dirk Benedict had been in Battlestar Galactica, I never watched the show. I had "heard of" Mr. T in some kind of "oh yeah, that big weird guy" way but had never seen him in anything before this series. I had never heard of Dwight Schultz at all. The only member of the principal cast I was familiar with was George Peppard, thanks to having a father who loves aviation pictures... I had seen "The Blue Max" many times. As I was a young-20-something girl you'd think Benedict would have been the one to get my attention, but I gave the show a try for Peppard, and I ended up loving it. Great ensemble cast, but without "The Blue Max" I would have thought "meh, car crashes, strange man with mohawk, don't need it".

And before I get corrected: yeah, I know it was always referred to as a "mandinka" haircut. I still yell "mandinka!" every now and then when I hear the cut called by the wrong name.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 12:52 PM

Face's father's identity was a secret?

Face was raised in an orphanage. It wasn't until they were working for Stockwell (season 5) that it was reveled.

It's interesting watching the fights and obvious camera angles to hide the stunt doubles. The A-Team is not a show best viewed on an HDTV.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

I absolutely love Sound of Thunder. It's such a great team episode and brings the dark angsty side out on a level that works for the show.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 8:54 AM

I had "heard of" Mr. T in some kind of "oh yeah, that big weird guy" way but had never seen him in anything before this series

Before Mr. T was Clubber Lang(George Foreman) in Rocky III. In part because Foreman became lovable like Mr T did everybody was disappointed that Mike Tyson and not Mr. T got the cameo in Rocky Balboa. Before that him was in the trash sports shows, the precursor to reality TV as an athlete in the Greatest Bouncer competition on CBS Sports Spectacular, their version of The Wild World of Sports on ABC.

Skinner

Skinner

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

It's interesting watching the fights and obvious camera angles to hide the stunt doubles. The A-Team is not a show best viewed on an HDTV.

I think the most blatant goof was in the pilot. Face and Hannibal leap up from the floor in a fight, and the stunt doubles are full-on facing the camera for a few seconds. You can clearly see they are two completely different people in terrible wigs. I kind of love how modern TV viewing options have increased this show's camp factor. :-)

I absolutely love Sound of Thunder. It's such a great team episode and brings the dark angsty side out on a level that works for the show.

Should I add that to my "out of sequence" viewing (along with "Bounty" and "Family Reunion" and "Lease with an Option to Die")? Or is it better to see it when I have more of the episodes under my belt? I just finished S2's "Labor Pains," so I'm not too far along.
"Labor Pains" note: Someone made a reference to a cabbage cannon and this show a while ago; I thought he was joking.
I really shouldn't have.

Edited by Skinner, Aug 11, 2010 @ 3:49 PM.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 7:28 PM

I think the most blatant goof was in the pilot. Face and Hannibal leap up from the floor in a fight, and the stunt doubles are full-on facing the camera for a few seconds.

There are screen shots online of the stunt doubles and even dummies used in certain scenes. Hilarious in a cheesy way.

Should I add that to my "out of sequence" viewing (along with "Bounty" and "Family Reunion" and "Lease with an Option to Die")? Or is it better to see it when I have more of the episodes under my belt?

I can't answer that unbiasedly (and I forget what season it's from). I don't think you need a lot of cannon under your belt since the premise of the show isn't that deep... so with that knowledge - sure watch it.

It looks like a lot of the episodes are up on Hulu right now.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 7:35 AM

Wasn't it the most violent show on television at that time?

I think that was the argument, yes. I didn't remember it as that violent, but I Netflixed the last disc of the last season just out of curiosity as to how it ended up, since I gave up when Robert Vaughn arrived, and during the ep "No Reservations" my wineglass just about went flying when Face got shot in the restaurant. Man, that was graphic and very startling; I did not see that coming at all. One second he's fine, the next he's got a huge hole in his stomach and there's blood all over the place. And I have to say I don't care for Frankie at all... why was he even necessary? I hated all the girls they ever tried to bring on board the Team because they all seemed so ridiculously out of place, but they didn't do any better quality-wise with Frankie.

"The Crystal Skull" reminded me why I stopped watching... the quality of the scripts really went downhill after a certain point. And out of the four episodes on that disc, Murdock "got the girl" in three of 'em. I love Murdock, but I never pictured him as the kind of guy who'd attract women in droves, and in the ep set in Monte Carlo where Roy Dotrice guest-starred, it was made clear that Murdock and the girl actually spent the night together. That's not the Howlin' Mad with the invisible dog Billy that I remember from earlier seasons. And the editing in that Monte Carlo ep was some of the worst I've ever seen... jumping all over the place towards the end, no idea what was supposed to be going on, no setting up of the scenes whatsoever.

And in "No Reservations", they used the whole teaser from an early episode... can't remember the title but it was the one where they crashed a plane and Murdock made an ultralight from the pieces, a la Flight of the Phoenix. For a few minutes I thought the wrong episode was on the disc.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

R.I.P. Stephen J. Cannell.
This and The Rockford Files are probably his best known shows.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 3:50 PM

RIP.

I think they're the ones most identified with him, but I looked him up, and he's tied to a ton more, including Greatest American Hero and 21 Jump Street.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 5:37 PM

I grew up watching The A-Team. Cannell was one of the greats. RIP.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

I came to see if everyone was talking about SJC (I was completely shocked to see the news today...he was a fantastic writer and a great guy by all accounts) and I saw this:

Yes, we voted via a 900 phone number. I voted "no." I think this is the first time anyone voted on an ending on a TV show.

(Of course, my personal theory was that Face really WAS Starbuck (y'know, the ship of lights comes back and gets him off that planet where he was marooned...)).

To Skinner (XF fan?), as for eps to watch, I'd tell you to keep going in season 2, you've got several of the best - Steel, Maltese Cow, Harder Than It Looks, and The Battle of Belair - coming up.

I don't remember "Bounty" at all, but "Lease with an option" has the great scene with BA's mom telling Hannibal about how she got in touch with BA one Christmas (won't spoil the story). It is completely edited out of the syndicaed repeats that I've seen - I hope it's on the Hulu or DVD versions because it's the best piece of the episode.

And in "No Reservations", they used the whole teaser from an early episode... can't remember the title but it was the one where they crashed a plane and Murdock made an ultralight from the pieces, a la Flight of the Phoenix. For a few minutes I thought the wrong episode was on the disc.

"Holiday in the Hills" is the original. I agree with espie on fifth season - it's a mess. The stories, the editing (I'd forgotten Crystal Skull, mercifully. Then there's the one with the football players...). The UNCLE one is decent and the "tag" of The Grey Team, where they're going to be the A-Team again, are the only good bits. For me the trouble starts when they're in First Air Cav uniforms instead of their Green Beret outfits at the courtmartial.

Skinner

Skinner

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 2:04 AM

Just wanted to offer a salute to the man himself, Stephen J. Cannell. R.I.P., sir. You taught us not to fear death -- even when your helicopter crashes into a mountain, explodes and then plummets hundreds of feet to the ground.

In seriousness, I am grateful for his legacy of shows, especially this wonderfully cheesy one. I really like that he was in on the joke as far as the format.

Thank you for the recommendations, culturevulture73! I'm still plowing my way through the episodes, but I do skip around as the mood strikes. I watched S5's "Trial by Fire" and "Firing Line" when Hulu was warning everyone that they might lose the rights to air Seasons 3-5. Murdock seeing the team after they "Juliet" themselves out of the firing squad is one of the series' biggest "Awwww!" moments for me.

I don't remember "Bounty" at all, but "Lease with an option" has the great scene with BA's mom telling Hannibal about how she got in touch with BA one Christmas (won't spoil the story). It is completely edited out of the syndicated repeats that I've seen - I hope it's on the Hulu or DVD versions because it's the best piece of the episode.

Is it the scene where she says she got the picture of B.A. and the rest of the team in Texas, or someplace, and she says she knew he was OK because "he was with his family"? I loved that. Then they had a Christmas in July dinner at the end of the episode because B.A. can't come home for Christmas anymore.

And you should catch "Bounty" on Hulu if you're so inclined -- especially if you're a Murdock fan. It's the one in which Murdock gets kidnapped by bounty hunters looking to collect on the A-Team, but he escapes and meets/falls for veterinarian Kelly Stevens -- half of what seems to be fanon's OTP. :-) (Played by Wendy Fulton, Dwight Schultz's wife.) It's a great episode.

(XF fan?)

It's a version of my family's nickname for me. From the time she was little, my sister called me "skinny lady" (I was the runt of the litter, so to speak), and "Skinner" is one of its unexplainable evolutions. It does seem like a nod to a couple different fandoms, though!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

Dang... I didn't know about SJC. That's too bad. I loved The A-Team and Greatest American Hero most out of all his work. Always looked forward to that bit he did at the end of the credits where he was at the typewriter and pulled the sheet of paper out that than morphed into the logo; that was a cute gimmick. R.I.P., and thanks for countless hours of entertainment.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

Is it the scene where she says she got the picture of B.A. and the rest of the team in Texas, or someplace, and she says she knew he was OK because "he was with his family"? I loved that. Then they had a Christmas in July dinner at the end of the episode because B.A. can't come home for Christmas anymore.

And you should catch "Bounty" on Hulu if you're so inclined -- especially if you're a Murdock fan. It's the one in which Murdock gets kidnapped by bounty hunters looking to collect on the A-Team, but he escapes and meets/falls for veterinarian Kelly Stevens -- half of what seems to be fanon's OTP. :-) (Played by Wendy Fulton, Dwight Schultz's wife.) It's a great episode.

Yes, that's the scene! And they cut it for the van driving around in syndie. Sigh....

I kinda remember "Bounty" but I haven't seen some eps in a very long time... (I watched Knots Landing when Wendy was on, does that count? Then I got hooked on it...)

You all should go hear this great interview with the creator of The Glades, who was a big A-Team fan back in the day:

Funny

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

Amazon's Gold Box deal for the next 3.5 hours is the A-Team complete box set for $66.99

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Something has been driving me nuts recently. Did B.A. ever actually say "pity the fool" on the A-Team? I've seen a few web sites say that he never said it on the show, but outside of actually sitting down and re-watching every single episode on NetFlix, I can't think of a way to prove or disprove it either way.

Now, if anyone would happen to recall an episode where Mr. T said "pity the fool" on the A-Team, that would save my sanity greatly.

themadman

themadman

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

No, he never said it in A-Team. He did say it in Rocky 3 though.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Somewhere in storage I have a vintage 1985 bookmark with T's picture on it that says "I pity the fool that loses my place!!" If I ever find it, I'll start using it again. Good times.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Just wanted to offer a salute to the man himself, Stephen J. Cannell. R.I.P.

How did I manage to not hear about this?

Bunty

Bunty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Lance LeGault aka Colonel Decker has died.
Lance LeGault, actor was 75

Edited to add
Introduction of Colonel Roderick Decker

Edited by Bunty, Sep 15, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.