The History Channel: As Told By Those Who Watch It

• Please log in to reply

456 replies to this topic

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I couldn't agree with you more JLH. I've always enjoyed history and am saddened to see what counts as programming on History and H2 these days but I also have to admit a guilty pleasure of mine is watching "Ancient Aliens" because the stories are so out there and for the most part ridiculous. Giorgio's hair in some episodes is a scream.

I guess "America's Book of Secrets" is trying to do some kind of trade off from the movie 'National Treasure" but I find it just as annoying. Some of the stuff they talk about has been made known before too so who knows what the big deal is over it being a big secret they're telling us about now.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I think the latest History channel program that I watched that was actually based on a history topic was "Afraid of the Dark" or Scared of the dark. I remember it telling about the Edinburgh Vaults, the Dartmouth Moors, and the thieves that would be hung out in the gibbets at night having to hear their screams or the chilling macabre of hearing the corpses of the criminals swaying in the wind. Before that was a clash of the Gods mini marathan with a very good looking Hercules and Perseus, what the hell happened to decent programs like these?

I think that when any actualy historical programs come on, they air at the dead hours of the morning/night when no one is watching. I'm sorry but I do not find American Pickers or Pawn Stars to be of historical relevence.

Edited by Blixx, Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I recall watching a repeat of a 2 hour documentary on a Saturday afternoon fairly recently about the Middle Ages and the Black Plague (or was it about the Little Ice Age?). Probably not that many people were watching at that time either.

Anyway, I don't recall seeing anything new of that caliber recently. Ax Men, Pawn Stars and while I enjoy American Pickers, that's not the type of 'history' programming I'd expect on a channel that calls itself that.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Before that was a clash of the Gods mini marathan with a very good looking Hercules and Perseus, what the hell happened to decent programs like these?

They have been airing this show a lot. It's actually quite interesting (I forgot how in to this stuff I was in Elementary school.). However, when I first saw it, I remember that it was made three or four years ago. I think that it comes on H2; and when it does, they run in every four hours for the whole day.

Edited by JLHSmurf, Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:26 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Senator Grassley is also fed up with the lack of history on this channel:
http://www.mediaite....es-the-history/

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Has anyone watched "10 Things You Don't Know About.." on H2. I found myself so infuriated with the smarmy host and his inflammatory phrasing of EVERYTHING. I also hated the random percentages. What exactly does it mean that 80% of people didn't know that Lincoln never joined a church? Did you literally stand on a street corner asking people "Did you know Lincoln never joined a church?", because really that seemed to be his method. Also, considering later in the episode when he was talking about Lincoln "sleeping with men" he said he attended church with one of his male companions. So how exactly are we defining "joined a church"? Sorry for the rant, but seriously this kind of faux history irritates me.

Edited by BluPhoenix451, Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

I haven't, BluPhoenix, however I saw a show on the History channel recently about "The 10 Worst Things That Can Happen to Earth" (or something like that). In general I don't like countdown type shows like this because they gloss over the facts.

There's plenty of good books being written about topics in history these days, why can't History channel tackle any of these subjects or hire any of those authors to help them produce a show?

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

There's plenty of good books being written about topics in history these days, why can't History channel tackle any of these subjects or hire any of those authors to help them produce a show?

Because when the History channels aren't concerning themselves with ACTUAL history they're too focused on the "Mayan prophecy" and how everyone on earth will die because X happeningm bs.

Edited by Blixx, Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

It's not just Mayan prophecy, Blixx. I envision the day where an alien prophecy will be found in a swamp by an Alaskan ice truck -- as predicted by Nostrodamus.

Edited by Zzingerific, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:47 AM

Have they made a Nostradamus/Nazis/UFO/Bigfoot connection yet?

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Not quite although Ancient Aliens had an episode recently about Bigfoot being an alien - or the aliens are responsible for Bigfoot - one of those and an episode about the Nazis getting help from alien technology during WWII. Do either of these count?

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I'm just finishing a mini-marathon of Ancient Aliens on H2 now and I caught those bigfoot/nazi tech/davinci code themes linked to alien visitation and while, of course, all ridiculous, it's still amusing enough.

What I really can't with though are the reality shows. I can't distinguish their programming from Animal Planet, TLC, whatever other channel which used to showcase documentaries and now airs reality shows constantly anymore.

snowflakey

snowflakey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

It's not just Mayan prophecy, Blixx. I envision the day where an alien prophecy will be found in a swamp by an Alaskan ice truck -- as predicted by Nostrodamus.

You forgot about it being found by Frank and Mike. Who in turn takes it to Rick for an appraisal, but he has to call in one of his buddies in to look at it. They haggle over price, but at the end of the day, everyone leaves happy.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Wait, wait, WAIT! Larry the Cable Guy has a show on the History Channel? I feel sick at heart. I mean, I know it might have been there for a while, but my eyes have gotten into the habit of skipping over HC in the guide because there's never anything on it I want to see anymore. But occasionally somebody sneaks in an actual documentary early on a weekend morning, so I actually looked this time. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. Larry the Cable Guy, for fuck's sake.

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

I think that when any actualy historical programs come on, they air at the dead hours of the morning/night when no one is watching. I'm sorry but I do not find American Pickers or Pawn Stars to be of historical relevence.

I can't stand those "reality" type shows that History airs day and night! They are doing it strictly for ratings. Saddens me to see that they've sold out to greed instead of keeping it a true History channel. There are centuries worth of relevant topics to choose from for chrissake, yet the greedy bastards would rather sell-out for marginally-at-best, barely historical pawned crap! I've seen more historically relevant programming on Discovery!

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Jess, I agree, but the vast majority of Americans are only interested in American history when they're interested at all. That significantly reduces the volume of workable relevant programming. H2 does a little bit better job.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

It seems that H2 does have better programming than History (aside from Ancient Aliens). The 'powers that be' there might know that too since my cable company is moving H2 to a separate tier soon meaning those without that tier have to pay more to get it. grrrrrrrr.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

It seems that Nat Geo has had more History type programs lately.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

I've noticed that too. Some of the programming is almost indistinguishable, I think they both had similar programs about the Titantic in April.

mightybigpiperfan

mightybigpiperfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Did anyone watch the miniseries The Men Who Built America? I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love it if the History Channel produced more shows like it. My mom said if history had been this interesting in high school, she would have paid more attention!

Edited by mightybigpiperfan, Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:01 AM.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I saw the episode on Rockefeller, and I liked it very much. I'm definitely looking out for the reruns. <br><br>I've mentioned it before, but since Armistice day just past it's come back into my mind. I am quite fearful of what History! will come up with for the centenary of WWI. I've always been interested in WWI since there are so many historical issues that remain contested. I'm afraid that they'll just do some sort of desultory overview that papers over the controversies.

Edited by Zzingerific, Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Did anyone watch the miniseries The Men Who Built America? I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love it if the History Channel produced more shows like it.

I tried, but I kept having issues with the talking heads they interviewed to provide context. Donald Trump was talking about how a brand gets identified with a specific person on the program, while during the election he was spouting off his usual BS. The hedge fund guys was talking about how horrible the trusts were (they remembered their schooling), but on the morning programs they bash the regulations that were put in place to control them.

I did like it because I forgot who controlled what. Some of the cliffhangers before the commercials weren't surprises to me because I recognized the people/names involved with the electric industry. I did like how Morgan used the patent laws to bash everyone, including Westinghouse. I reminded me that the past really isnít the past. We just keep doing the same thing. Apple & RIM Iím staring right at you.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I've mentioned it before, but since Armistice day just past it's come back into my mind. I am quite fearful of what History! will come up with for the centenary of WWI. I've always been interested in WWI since there are so many historical issues that remain contested. I'm afraid that they'll just do some sort of desultory overview that papers of the controversies.

My guess is that their commemoration of WWI will consist of one airing of The Christmas Truce at 7am, followed by an all-day marathon of Pawn Stars.

TommyD

TommyD

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I watched the Men Who Built America Series, and I really enjoyed the Andrew Carnegie segments.
I missed most of the Vanderbilt segments, and I hope that History Channel plays them again.
It just amazes me that these men had the insight to develop their business and markets, at a time when the USA had the greatest economic expansion during the Industrial Revolution.
It does make me wonder, though, if these same men would be as successful in today's economic and financial climate.

Edited by TommyD, Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:18 PM.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

The Men Who Built America was the best thing on History ALL year, except for the Hatfield/McCoy miniseries. This is what the History Channel should be about, not Pawn Stars.

I remember back in the day when History had all those old BBC historical dramas (Capt. Picard as Lenin!). There were a number of old CBC specials on the War of 1812 which they could have gotten cheap, and I always liked their "Movies in Time" show (I always wished they would deconstruct Oliver Stone's JFK).

Nowadays, it seems like they're on vacation and are just showing Pawn Stars and almost nothing else.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I watched the Men Who Built America Series, and I really enjoyed the Andrew Carnegie segments. I missed most of the Vanderbilt segments, and I hope that History Channel plays them again.

I'm watching them On Demand. I have Time Warner. You should check to see if you have History Channel on Demand on your system.

It does make me wonder, though, if these same men would be as successful in today's economic and financial climate.

Yes and no. I think we are seeing men who were clearly driven to succeed and smart enough to do so. They probably would have had the same drive and smarts today and done very well for themselves. They all had a knack for seizing opportunities, and perhaps even more impressively, seeing those opportunities before others did.

On the other hand, you can also see from watching these stories why there are now laws to prevent people from doing what they did. They wouldn't be able to build their empires the WAY they built them, that's for sure.

I tried, but I kept having issues with the talking heads they interviewed to provide context.

Another thing I've come to realize that if Rockefeller or Vanderbilt were alive today and providing talking heads, they would be thoroughly unlikable people. Good lord, it's amazing to see how much of what they accomplished was motivated by revenge. They make Mark Cuban and Trump look like a couple of fuzzy teddy bears.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

No, especially after our most recent election, IMHO.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I loved this mini series! For starters I learned so much and I agree that they should be shown in high school. Who knows, maybe it would even inspire someone to make their fortune. I don't know how much they would be liked today but I doubt very much they would be fame whores like Trump. The only one of the 4 I really disliked was Rockefeller. The hypocrisy in that one really got to me. It's God's will for me to destroy people so I can be the richest man in America.

Edited by Phred62, Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I tried watching "I Love the 1880's" and had to turn it off after 2 minutes. I have no problem with a show that tries to make use of wacky graphics, but I think there are enough humorous moments in history that they don't need to add Z-list comics making jokes that have absolutely nothing to do with history. Even VH1 has abandoned this type of show.

TommyD

TommyD

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I tried watching "I Love the 1880's" and had to turn it off after 2 minutes. I have no problem with a show that tries to make use of wacky graphics, but I think there are enough humorous moments in history that they don't need to add Z-list comics making jokes that have absolutely nothing to do with history. Even VH1 has abandoned this type of show.

I agree, I just couldn't watch this show.

On the other hand, you can also see from watching these stories why there are now laws to prevent people from doing what they did. They wouldn't be able to build their empires the WAY they built them, that's for sure.

Yes, it was because of these men and their business tactics that we now have laws and regulations. I think Rockefeller actions, in particular, were the catalyst for reining in their business practices.