Cycle 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

148 replies to this topic

goblyn

goblyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

It seems as though whenever a marathon airs on MTV or VH1 people start using the individual girl's threads to discuss episodes or the cycle as a whole, and instead of getting constantly off topic, I propose we start posting about it all here.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2007 @ 12:46 PM

Thanks for this! I can never manage to catch Cycle 5 in its entirety when it comes on VH1 (it's the only cycle I haven't seen from beginning to end), and can't find the episodes on YouTube.

I wish I could see the things I missed, such as Cassandra's hair meltdown, Ebony's "don't get it twisted!" and Coryn's draggishness.

Aiden

Aiden

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 12:07 AM

I know a lot of people didn't care for this season, but I thought it was hilarious. Bottom of the barrel when it comes to modelesque girls, but I thought it was entertaining.

Maybe it's because I've only seen the whole season in a couple of sittings rather than week to week when it first aired.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 5:45 PM

As someone pointed out in another thread, this cycle was chalk-full of the crazies... psychopath Cassandra, god-don't-like-ugly Bre, nightlight Jayla, lush Lisa, shit-stirring Kim... even Sarah was a bit whack. Luckily, it did make for an entertaining season. Even though all the girls were 5'8, I thought most of them were kinda pretty... Kyle, Jayla, Nik, Coryn, Nicole, Ashley and Cassandra were beautiful, and Bre, Diane and Kim certainly appeal to their own markets.

The only thing I absolutely detested about this cycle was the cracked-out elimination order... some girls were glossed over during their strong weeks and then kept around when they started sucking (ie Jayla, Nicole) while other girls performed consistently but ended up getting the boot for some convoluted reason tailored to that week (Coryn, Nik, Lisa). They gave some girls multiple chances (Kim, Bre), yet sent home Kyle and Diane just as they began to improve. Cassandra quitting also through a wrench into the order, as she had performed well beforehand.

It isn't at the top of my list, but it was definitely much more enjoyable than cycles 1, 4, 7, 8 and 9, IMO.

Edited by Oholibamah, Nov 28, 2007 @ 5:46 PM.

USGangster86

USGangster86

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 4:59 PM

Bre's confessionals were some of the funniest thngs I have ever heard. Like the one where they have the photoshoot in the phonebooth and Bre talked about a girl who farted.

CoolKel

CoolKel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

I thought Sarah was gorgeous. I seriously think she should have been kept over Kim, who churned out another serviceable photo 3 episodes later. She looked like she could do commercial modeling, but could also do high fashion.

Not to mention her makeover kicked ass.

Kanine

Kanine

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

Sarah was stunning, yes. Since she apparently jumped off the face of the planet after she show, I'm lead to assume she went back to Boonville and that makes me sad since she pretty clearly hated it there.

I don't know why anyone had to go home the week Cassandra quit. Well, I do know - two installments of the Secret Lesbian Love Affair Drama Hour had to be culminated in a Secret Lesbian Love Affair Bottom Two. Sarah totally deserved to say over Kim, I thought. I like Kim and all but she didn't have anything on Sarah's raw potential, especially since Kim's walk wasn't that much better than Sarah's. Granted, she managed to walk ten feet without falling, but still. They both had two awful pictures and one good one (Country Couture for both of them) and I thought Sarah deserved the edge over Kim, but I would have rather not seen anyone go - Kim did start to improve, and if Sarah still couldn't pull of a decent picture the next week, then her elimination would have been pretty justified.

Unpopular opinion: I also loved Diane. She was low-key, but she and Diana are pretty much the only plus sizes on the show who actually looked like working plus size models - tall, statuesque, at least a size 14 or so, etc. Bitch was gorgeous and she had one of the better pictures of the bunch the week she left. She seemed a lot of fun, too. Hating on Bush during the casting episode and "Kim, you look like a pimp" and her constant use of the word "bootylicious" in confessionals, in dead seriousness. "Since I am so bootylicious..."

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Since I am in love with her Superhero shot, I don't doubt that Sarah can be pretty, I just really fail to see it when she's in motion... her lips looked horrible unless she was smiling, she had linebacker shoulders, and a heavy brow-ridge that made her look like a dude. I also thought the asymmetric bob for her makeover made her jaw look lanternous and frightening. Obviously definitions of beauty vary, but I deem Sarah easily one of the fugliest hamsters ever.

lsk

lsk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 10:47 AM

See, I thought Sarah was beautiful, but her turn-around-and-smolder-for-the-camera shot during the opening credits was so hideous I couldn't handle it. The way she hung her mouth open like her bottom lip was too heavy and was falling off her face pissed me off to no end! And there's no need to even mention the abomination that was her walk. I guess what it boiled doen to is pretty or not, this girl needed much more grooming than ANTM provides if she was ever going to be a model.

Also, I feel fairly sure that being on Top Model must have ruined Sarah's life or something. I can't hink of any other hamster who has disappeared so completely after her season.

And do you guys remember what an unbelievable bitch Tyra was to her at the reunion show? Asking her questions and cutting her off before allowing her to answer them? Ugh!

I have to say, of all of the hamsters who were emotionally abused for the sake of entertainment, Sarah is probably only second to Kelle.

But this has become a totally Sarah-centric post, so what else can I say about Cycle 5? Well, in terms of photo shoots, I think it had some of the best in the shows history, and also some of the worst. I loved loved LOVED Country Couture, Vargus Girls was a great idea (though it yielded some questionable results), and I thought the plastic surgery shoot resulted in a lot of great pictures thanks to one Ms. Janice Dickinson. But then, there was the stupid naked-models-trapped-in-a-phone-booth shoot, and of course, the Fashion Police witch/treadmill shoot. (I'm sorry, but who are these imaginary fashion police and why do they have a witch on the payroll?)

Edited by lsk, Nov 30, 2007 @ 10:58 AM.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 11:47 AM

Don't forget the stupid Jackass photo shoot, which I personally hated.

JAZ853

JAZ853

Fanatic

• Interests:http://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 11:59 AM

I'm pretty sure the Jackass shoot was just to bait the crazies in the group (Lisa).

I liked the modernizing classic art shoot, especially because they actually had a reason for giving each of the girls a different painting (they focused on whatever their weakness was, and gave them a painting that represented that). Though I don't recall Nicole actually having a weakness.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:04 PM

Though I don't recall Nicole actually having a weakness.

I thought she sucked at emoting, hence, looking slack-jawed and vacant instead of demure and enigmatic like the Girl/Pearl Earring should look. But I don't think that was actually their intention, as I don't recall Jayla or Bre having a specific weakness, either; it was just the front-on shot for Nik, and the femininity for Kim (which she had already fixed, so whatever).

I liked the photoshoot, too, and I thought Jayla as Whistler's Milf is so gorgeous, but the set designs, photo quality, awkward product placement and costumes are just tacky beyond reason, and destroyed the shoot.

JAZ853

JAZ853

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:36 PM

I thought Bre's was looking coy and understated, and Jayla's was doing profile (because of the ears).

Edited by JAZ853, Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:36 PM.

CoolKel

CoolKel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:44 PM

I don't think the show had a specific weakness, but I gathered that the Mona Lisa was this glamorous, regal woman as opposed to Bre, the batshit crazy Harlem gal. Not to mention it would be an exercise in subtlety.

As for Jayla, I guess it was to improvise more - most of her shots emotionwise were either overly simplistic (Fashion Witch, Vargas, Wildboyz) or dead in the face (B/W, Country Couture, Phonebooth). I think, again, it would be an exercise in subtlety. I too think she nailed it, in spite of how much she sucked. In thinking about it, all the girls (except Kim) did good.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 4:50 PM

Modeling aside, this season was probably one of the best. It was entertaining. It had the shortest, least modelly girls ever though.

Jayla stayed waaaaaaay too long. I do not understand what made Tyra want to keep her so bad.

Kyle and Lisa's eliminations were complete bullshit.

Coryn was ugly.

That is all.

goyourownway

goyourownway

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 6:51 PM

Bottom of the barrel when it comes to modelesque girls, but I thought it was entertaining.

I felt that honor belonged to cycle 7, and cycles 4 and 8 were up there too(but I still loved those cycles). I thought a lot of the girls from cycle 5 were beautiful, but the cycle itself did not hold my interest as much as the cycles prior to it.

CoolKel

CoolKel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2007 @ 1:24 AM

So I was randomly re-watching one of the endless marathons on MTV and I watched the Wildboyz episode again. The shoot still sucked and Lisa still peed in a diaper, but the fake elimination is hilarious, especially considering it took Nicole like 20 minutes to figure it out.

Speaking of Nicole, HATE her. Didn't care for her slack jawed doe-eyed look in nearly every photo. Her walk was meh. Her attitude sucked (whiny + bratty = next!) She paid lip service to the challenges (chocolate selling, statue). So she won...why? (rhetorical question; I've heard about all the racial motivations behind this decision, and while it does seem a little convenient, I doubt that that was the biggest reason).

punishinglight

punishinglight

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2007 @ 3:03 AM

I didn't like cycle 5 much watching it the first time around, but I liked it much more watching it recently. Just compare the final 6 drama compared to the fake 'drama' of this cycle. I mean, Bre's granola fiasco went down in ANTM history. There was Kim, a contestant I actually didn't feel somewhat guilty rooting for. The high fashion countryside photo shoot early on in the cycle was absolutely beautiful, and I liked the plastic surgery gone wrong photoshoot.

As for the winner...I change opinions on Nicole constantly. I had no huge problem with her. I just thought she had a good portfolio, NOT a great one.

USGangster86

USGangster86

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2007 @ 4:05 PM

Yeah, when they were comparing Nik and Nicole photos on the finale and talking about them, I though Nik would have won. Nike had one of my favorite photos of the season( Her country couture photo.) Nik had the best portfolio of anyone of the girls.

tunafests

tunafests

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 1:53 PM

Bottom of the barrel when it comes to modelesque girls, but I thought it was entertaining.

I felt that honor belonged to cycle 7, and cycles 4 and 8 were up there too(but I still loved those cycles).

That goes to Cycle 4 hands down. At least this cycle had Kim, Nicole, Bre and Nik (all signed to big agencies and working), while cycle 8 produced Nata, Jaslene, Renee, Brittany, Samantha, Sarah and Felicia. Cycle 7 had Monique, Meghan (who works pretty steadily), Eugena, Melrose, Megg, Caridee (ahem, i still think she would have a chance if she pulled herself together)

Edited by tunafests, Dec 3, 2007 @ 1:55 PM.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 3:49 PM

Final 3 should have been Coryn, Nik, and Nicole. A lot of "robbery" talk goes on, but I think that Coryn, if anyone, was robbed. Eliminating a girl because you say that she's sad? The hell?!?

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 11:27 PM

Final 3 should have been Coryn, Nik, and Nicole.

Most definitely. But my UO is that Jayla and Kim deserved 4th and 5th. I thought the eliminations for C5 were messy in spots, but really, the biggest injustice can easily be remedied by swapping Coryn's elimination for Bre, as Kyle and Lisa were fair boots during those weeks - the only thing making it unfair was Bre beating them.

JAZ853

JAZ853

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 2:50 AM

Eliminating a girl because you say that she's sad? The hell?!?

ITA. Her Secret picture was the best picture that week, and should have won the challenge and kept her in the game. It's an injustice that the supreme blandness of Jayla and Kyle lasted longer than her. And last time I checked, sad was an emotion, while certain other hamsters couldn't manage that much in their pictures.

My F3 would have been Kim, Lisa, and Coryn.

Aiden

Aiden

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 3:48 PM

Coryn was really beautiful. I can't get over how great her makeover picture is.

lsk

lsk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 4:28 PM

I'm going to have to be the voice of dissent. I never liked Coryn. I thought she was mannish before and after her makeover.

And in truth, Lisa was right about her body. Granted, she should have kept her drunken opinions on that particular matter to herself, but she wasn't wrong. Coryn was too muscular for mainstream fashion modelling. (Heh. Now I sound like Victoria. But what I mean is fashion modelling as opposed to sports modeling).

The way I see it, most models fall into one of two categories - either they are lanky and angular (which Coryn was) but they have that fashion awkwardness (aka, so wrong they're right) or they are impossibly slim, but still posess a graceful, womanly shape. IMO, Coryn was neither, making her (say it with me now!) a pretty girl, but not a model.

goblyn

goblyn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

I never really liked Coryn either. I thought her secret photo was okay, but I really did like Nicole's better. I was kinda happy that Coryn went when she did.

Looking back on the cycle, eventhough I had been rooting for her all along, I am still very happy Nicole won. I don't think any of the other girls were nearly as good models as she was. And as an added bonus on this show, she was genuinely pretty, which is something I can't quite say for someone like...say....Danielle or Jaslene.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 4:58 PM

Nicole could look greasy and mousy when she wasn't made up.

IsabelPup

IsabelPup

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 5:10 PM

I never really liked Coryn either. I thought her secret photo was okay, but I really did like Nicole's better. I was kinda happy that Coryn went when she did.

Looking back on the cycle, eventhough I had been rooting for her all along, I am still very happy Nicole won. I don't think any of the other girls were nearly as good models as she was. And as an added bonus on this show, she was genuinely pretty, which is something I can't quite say for someone like...say....Danielle or Jaslene.

Totally agree. Coryn was fug w/ her square jaw, even if she was delightfully snarky. Nicole looked, and still looks (and works, booking actual jobs, one of the few, if not the only, winner to do so consistently), like an actual model.

Kanine

Kanine

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 6:49 PM

Coryn is quite hit-or-miss for me - most of her pictures are either very good or frighteningly hideous. On the show, however, I thought she was great and her Secret photo was easily the best of the bunch.

That being said, I don't think she would have made the final three even if the judges recognized her strength. She typically seemed to enjoy the actual photoshoots, but she seemed to absolutely hate being in the house and it was definitely affecting her general attitude for the competition. Assuming Bre was eliminated the week of the Secret shoot (which would have been the most logical choice for elimination that week), Kyle's elimination next week would have been inevitable - I thought the only reason Kyle was saved during the Secret week was because she won the challenge and performed extremely well in the two photoshoots before that one. Which is not a bad reason, granted, but it became essentially irrelevant the week later. And since Coryn and Kyle were best friends, and Kyle, Sarah, Kim and Bre were pretty much the only girls in the house Coryn could tolerate, I really think she would have completely broken down and self-destructed after Kyle's elimination.

I think Coryn's attitude was a lot like Victoria's - she enjoyed the photoshoots, but Tyra gave her a very wrong idea of what actual modeling is like, plus, unlike Victoria, she really disliked the other girls (which, granted, I don't blame her one bit for disliking Jayla or Lisa) and hated living in the house, all of which would have destroyed her sooner or later. It's not that she not only didn't want this, she didn't desire this - her heart just wasn't really in it.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

I don't agree that she didn't want it. I never saw a lack of desire in her.