Greasemonkey Scripts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

46 replies to this topic

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 7:56 PM

I've posted this on the first page of the suggestions thread - For those who use Firefox & have installed the GreaseMonkey extension, I've also written a script that will change the forums to be variable width. This is for those users who don't want to change their resolution.

Excellent. I salute and thank you. Installed!

Edited by Glark, Nov 8, 2007 @ 1:50 PM.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 12:04 PM

In other Greasemonkey news, my user script (link removed) to read recaps as one long page has been updated today to work with the new-style page links. I think it works with the current site layout, but please PM me about any further issues.

Edited by SP8472, Jun 14, 2008 @ 6:09 AM.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2007 @ 12:05 PM

Updated again, some more. Everyone who had problems with 0.6 through 0.8, please give version 0.9 a spin.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

I just updated my Variable Width script to accommodate the latest re-design. I've also added new scripts to simplify the layout on the homepage & recap pages.

TWoP Facelift Script: Preview 1, Preview 2

It's not shown in the previews, but I've also changed the background of the drop-downs to the light grey so that it isn't a glaring field of yellow when choosing shows/forums. If people really miss the old drop-downs, I can try to script something so they replace the new format.

Variable Width: Preview.

UPDATE 4/10/2008: Now that the forum has been reverted to the old design, I've re-published the old script for variable width forums. If you've installed the new variable width script (from 4/9/2008) - please re-download the "new" version.

If the script still isn't working, go to Tools -> Greasemonkey -> Manage User Scripts. Find all instances of "Table Width Changer" and click Uninstall. Then re-install the version on the website.

Edited by LimitProof, Apr 10, 2008 @ 9:28 PM.

bluefly

bluefly

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Hey thanks for the recap script. It works great.

B.F.P.

B.F.P.

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2008 @ 7:32 PM

Greasemonkey is "not found"-ing the recap script. Was it removed?

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

That's strange. I can still access it on my website without any problems.

Edited by LimitProof, Apr 15, 2008 @ 4:23 PM.

B.F.P.

B.F.P.

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

Sorry, I was talking about the "read the recap on one page" script.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 5:55 PM

Yeah, the “recaps on one page” script was removed after the TWoP relaunch because it wasn't working anymore. Due to a personal request, I have reworked it for the new site layout, though.

I changed the name of the script and restartet the version counter from 0.1. You can find the new script here (link removed). It has not been extensively tested, so please inform me (by PM or eMail) of any problems you discover.

Also, the script doesn't fix the facts that TWoP puts the page breaks in very weird places, includes completely empty paragraphs at the start and end of each page, and sometimes tears apart paragraphs of text when placing page breaks. Those things will still look weird, they'll just look weird on one page.

Edited by SP8472, Jun 14, 2008 @ 6:09 AM.

bluefly

bluefly

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

Hmmm, SP8472, I can't seem to get your script to work. I've disabled all my other scripts to see if there was some interference, but no dice. Thanks anyway.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 6:01 PM

I've heard that from two people now, bluefly.

I have no idea what the problem could be, it just works for me. A “View as One Page” link inserted by the script appears next to the upper set of page links, and when clicked, the entire recap appears on one page, with a delay of a second or five because the other pages have to be retrieved from the server first.

If anyone for whom the script does not work could find any helpful information about that, such as error messages from the JavaScript console, I'd appreciate it. It's hard to find a bug in a script that doesn't not work for me, I'm sorry to say.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 7:40 PM

This might be a conflict with my Greasemonkey Recap script, which removes everything that modifies the main_content div. I notice that your RenderPage function uses the body_recap div, which is removed if my script runs.

I'm not sure if this is the cause for the specific problem bluefly is having, but I put in an update on my script to fix the problem.

Facelift Script Installation Page.

Especially important is the order in which the scripts are installed. If I install your script first and then mine, clicking on "View All in One Page" will take me to the homepage. But if I install my script first and then install yours, everything works fine. So for anyone wanting to install both scripts, make sure to follow the instructions on my website.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 10:50 AM

As you may have read in “New Technical Issues”, the already weird page breaks in recaps have now been screwed up even more. (Looks like someone's doing a “heck of a job”, if you know what I mean. No, but seriously, I'm not trash-talking the TWoP Tech Guys. I'm sure they're doing the best they can, and bugs happens to the best of 'em.)

Anyway, not my script's fault, and my script does not attempt to fix it. I'm sure it will be corrected server-side soon.

LimitProof, I'm not sure what your facelift script does exactly, but from the looks of it, you're messing around with the pagetree quite heavily. The way the link I place works is that, as a pure HTML link, it actually points to the homepage, and then I slap an event handler on that thing to redirect any clicks to my code. If the symptom is that clicking actually takes someone to the homepage, the reason probably is that said event handler gets lost, which happens sometimes when stuff is manhandled around the pagetree. In that case, your suggestion to make sure that your script is executed first would probably work, assuming there are no other unwanted interactions between the two.

Thanks for mentioning that my script works for someone except me, by the way. At least I didn't break it for everybody.

bluefly

bluefly

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 3:26 PM

Hey SP8472, I uninstalled and the reinstalled your script and now it works. FYI, Limit Proof, I had disabled your script when I previously had tried SP8472's, so that wasn't the problem I was having. Thank you both for writing these.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 4:05 PM

That's good to know, thanks for the update.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

• Interests:I remember when we had to dial-in upstream both ways to get to MBTV in a blizzard, and we didn't have modems! We had to whistle the tones in. The mods used to take us behind the woodshed and beat us for not using correct capitalization. I remember BEFORE TUBEY!<br /><br />Also I remember, but never really 'dug' Dawson's Wrap. The Fivehead scared me. So I'm old, but I ain't THAT old.

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 10:02 AM

They're both working great for me now too. Thanks, SP8472 (now if I can only make that work on my iPhone...)

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

Someone alerted me to a problem with the new recaplets that weren't displaying on my recap script, so I've made an update to it.

Updated Screenshot

As you can see, I've added in the byline for the recaps and I've added in the code for seeing/hiding the recaplets. Hopefully that will solve the problem with the pure recaplets.

Installation Instructions. Be sure to re-install SP8472's script afterwards to ensure that the my script doesn't override the recap-in-one-page script.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2008 @ 1:28 PM

Just as a small FYI, the execution order of userscripts can also be changed by just drag-n-dropping them into a different order in the “Manage User Scripts” window. A full reinstall shouldn't be required as long as the scripts are in the correct order, but I suppose it doesn't hurt, either.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

Hmm. I actually did not know that! Shows how much attention I pay to things, hmm? *grin* Anyway, I updated the instructions to reflect the much easier way to set execution order.

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2008 @ 4:11 AM

No word yet on which of the Great Old Ones required a blood sacrifice to pull this off, but, the recap pages have been fixed. No strange completely empty paragraphs, no misplaced chunks of text. Yay!

The page links are wrapped in an additional div now, so I made a very minor update to the TWoP Single Page Recaps userscript (link removed) to also remove that div when removing the page links.

Edited by SP8472, Jun 14, 2008 @ 6:10 AM.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 2:32 AM

All three scripts updated: Homepage/Recap Facelift Scripts and Forum variable Width.

Homepage Preview | Recap Preview | Forums Preview

Since there were a lot of complaints about the current yellow navigation system, I've removed that and converted it to the old drop-down menu. This should work on all recaps, the homepage, and the forum if you've installed the three scripts above.

As always, make sure that the TWoP Single Page Recaps script is further down in the list than my recap facelift script (Go to Greasemonkey->Manage User Scripts and drag & drop it below my scripts) to avoid conflicts!

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 8:39 AM

I'm having trouble with the screen width script and the yellow navigation box. DO I need another script to make the dropdown work?

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

Do you not see the drop-down at all or is the drop-down not working? The dropdown relies on javascript to make it work, so you might want to check that you have javascript enabled to make it work. Otherwise, if you don't see the drop-down at all on the forums (it should be right beneath the headers) - send me a PM with the scripts you installed, your browser/greasemonkey version - and I'll see if I can find out what's wrong!

Bearsfan 1

Bearsfan 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 11:47 AM

Hats off to LimitProof and SP8472, these scripts are brilliant!! Thank you.

Edited by Bearsfan 1, Apr 23, 2008 @ 1:26 PM.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 12:52 PM

These are lovely!
One minor complaint, and maybe I'm being silly somehow, but there's no way to navigate back to the recap page for that show, or to grade the episode. It's not a huge problem since you can navigate using the drop down menu, but it does add a couple clicks if you're reading a bunch of recaps (or recaplets) in a row that are from old seasons (i.e. not on the first page of the "show" page).

I hope that is clear.

Thanks to both of you though, the scripts are awesome.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

Another update to the two facelift scripts! I hope this isn't being too annoying. It seems every day I'm finding something new that breaks my script. Rest assured this is only due to the current site re-design. Once the dust settles, I won't be so bothersome about downloading new updates so frequently, I promise! Anyway, to make this update slightly less useless, I've added in some functionality to the recap facelift script.

Is this what you had in mind, psyche679?

Note that there's currently a bug in the episode grading form, which will take you back to the first page anytime you submit a grade, so either use the single-page recap script to bypass that error or grade it at the beginning/end of the recap so you don't lose your place. I'm fairly sure it's a TWoP thing (it looks like they're not passing the &page=x parameter after you submit) rather than a problem with my script.

psyche679

psyche679

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

Thank you! This is great. And the grading problem is a TWOP-wide program, I noticed it on a non-greased version of the site (it has been a slow day at work...)

Thanks

SP8472

SP8472

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

I think the upper set of page links just disappeared from all recaps. Not a huge problem for my script, it automatically adjusted by inserting its link into the lower set of page links instead, no update necessary. Other than that, it seems to work just as before, but as always, feel free to contact me with bug reports.

LimitProof

LimitProof

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2008 @ 5:43 PM

Thanks to SP8472, there's now a GM script to temporarily fix the grading problem. Now you can grade the episode on any page and it will return you to that page. It's a pretty simple script, but in case there are any problems, please send me a PM instead of SP8472 since I'm taking over maintenance of the script.

EDIT: Another update to the TWoP Variable Width script. There was a bug that caused the forum to scroll past the first unread post to posts further down the window due to removal of headers & stretching of the forum page. This has now been fixed and you should always arrive at the first unread post. Please let me know if there are still any issues with this bug!

Note: Since these updates have been coming very rapidly, I would recommend clearing your cache: Tools -> Clear Private Data -> Check Cache (and uncheck all other options) and clear the cache before downloading the script. Otherwise, the update might not take.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

• Interests:I remember when we had to dial-in upstream both ways to get to MBTV in a blizzard, and we didn't have modems! We had to whistle the tones in. The mods used to take us behind the woodshed and beat us for not using correct capitalization. I remember BEFORE TUBEY!<br /><br />Also I remember, but never really 'dug' Dawson's Wrap. The Fivehead scared me. So I'm old, but I ain't THAT old.

Posted Apr 25, 2008 @ 9:50 AM

For Safari users, you can use these scripts if you install:

SIMBL and GreaseKit

It works as advertised :)