2-7: "That Night, a Forest Grew" 2007.11.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

170 replies to this topic

Anastasia169

Anastasia169

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, Knitting, Embroidery, Textile Arts, Medicine, History of Medicine, Fashion, History of Fashion, WWII, Ancient Rome, Science Fiction, Mysteries and Thrillers, Historical Fiction, YA Fiction, Gardening, Art, Law, Anthropology, Horticulture, Birding, Cats, Conversation and many more too numerous to list.

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Wow, those meth faces were really scary. And made me realize that a woman I used to know peripherally was most likely an addict or a former addict - I knew there was something not quite right. Wow, scary.

I wonder if Lila will end up dead at Dexter's hands and what crime she will commit to do it.

I agree with the other posters who find Rita annoying in places. She is just too sweet and passive, with all the subtext of judgementalism and self-righteousness that this implies. I wonder if these two will find a better place for the two new people to meet. I think that Rita is better for concealing serial killer Dexter, but not better for anything else.

As for Deb:

At least Deb is honest. I mean totally honest. You always know where she's coming from. She is who she is, and makes no excuses for it. I adore her. So, it seriously irks me when people down her for her potty mouth or her many ex-boyfriends. At least she's not a liar, killer, or manipulator. I read every where about Dex's horrible childhood. What about Deb's? She was born into lies. Her Dad was a control freak that trained a future serial killer and cheated on her mother...and put her second to her foster brother. Then, she has a fiance that turns out to be a serial killer and, though unknown to her, is her foster brother's blood brother. How many lies must one person endure? She's been the victim of deceit since the moment she was born, yet she's the annoying one...the bad one.?? I just don't get the anti-Deb stuff...and, I'm beginning to not get the Dexter love. He's turning into a grade A asshole if you ask me.

Wordy McWord Word! And the lies that you sense, but can't see are the most destructive of all. Deb labors under a burden she can't even inventory and this may explain her potty-mouth and promiscuity.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

I love Deb because she is not the typical young TV female, she seems like a "real" young woman to me with her coltishness and endearing awkwardness. So what if she likes to have sex - sex is one of the good things in life. Superficially, I also really like the look of the actress - her slim runners build reminds me of a young more athletic and less punk Patti Smith.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 1:37 AM

Just chiming in to say that I also love Deb's character. She's really no different than cops like Sipowicz, Logan, Kellerman, McNulty or Briscoe. She's got her inner demons, but she's still good police.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

I like Deb as well. I like the way she combines some aspects of being "little brother" along with being little sister by being a cop and wanting to follow in Dad's footsteps for his admiration. A lot of the stuff she does I can easily see fitting a male character.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 10:50 AM

I hope that Dexter comes to his senses and realizes what an insufferable hoser Lila is, because I'm getting to the point with her where I just want to, I don't know, set her on fire and put it out with an ice pick. Too far? Don't email me.

But Mr. Stupidhead, can I email if I want to buy a ticket on your train of thought? This character absolutely cannot go away quickly enough.

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

• Interests:The West Wing<br />[Adult Swim]<br />hiking

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 5:20 PM

Dex looks up, and notices aloud that Lila's light has been fixed, and a look of dawning understanding fixes itself upon his face.

I'm not sure I completely understand this. Dex is finally figuring out that Lila's way to get what she wants is by breaking things? That she is overly-dramatic and manipulative? Or that the best way to get your broken lightbulb fixed is by breaking the landlord's light bulb?

Edited because break is different from fix

Edited by GraydonCarter, Nov 16, 2007 @ 5:22 PM.

Katekins

Katekins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 6:43 PM

The shirt Lila wore in the scene where they were walking around the neighborhood REALLY bothered me. Those straps needed to be about 3 inches shorter... no one wants to see your side-cleavage! Also, how weird is she to just stand up and start chatting with Deb and THEN be like "Whoops, I'm topless!" If I were topless in my boyfriend's apartment and his sister walked in, covering up would be my first priority, closing the fridge would be second, running back to his room would be third. Introductions can wait! "Skank," indeed, Deb. Skank indeed.

Kisses where the mouths aren't exactly lined up, like Deb/Lundy's, bother me. Also, the awkwardness of that situation makes me cringe. Like, well, guess we'll eat our sandwiches now...

This show is such a fan of the gratuitious sex scenes, which may be interesting as the Deb/Lundy relationship develops. Have you noticed how they tend to do a lot of tight close-ups of Lundy's face, so his receding hairline isn't in the frame? Helps him look hotter, that's for sure.

How awful must it have been for Rita to watch Dexter rush off to be with Lila? It's bad enough to be cheated on for a one-night stand, but to then watch your ex enter a real relationship with the home wrecker, while he's still acting as a father figure to your children. Painful.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

I'm not sure I completely understand this. Dex is finally figuring out that Lila's way to get what she wants is by breaking things? That she is overly-dramatic and manipulative? Or that the best way to get your broken lightbulb fixed is by breaking the landlord's light bulb?

Add me to the confused about what that scene meant. I had another interpretation of what that working light bulb could have meant. Maybe Dexter seeing it was working was meant to tell us that the light was only burnt out all along and it was never the wiring. Lila broke her landlord's light bulb for the hell of it.

I have such mixed feelings about Dexter this season. My favorite moment of the last episode was at the school when Dexter was playing "daddy." That's not surprisingly since the contrast between "normal" Dexter and serial killer Dex was what sold me on the series. What can I say, I guess I like my freak on a leash. Yet, the "I own you" moment was my second favorite moment and that's very much "new" Dexter.

A few pages back, people were speculating as to whether or not Dexter would kill Lila or if she would kill herself. I don't see Dexter killing Lila. I don't think she's bad enough to fit into his code. I also agree that she's so much of a narcissist that it'd be hard to believe she'd kill herself but I could see her trying to kill herself in order to manipulate Dexter in the same way she used the fire. She might unintentionally end up killing herself if Dexter chooses to ignore her pleas for help.

Edited by Irlandesa, Nov 16, 2007 @ 11:54 PM.

fkafl

fkafl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 8:29 AM

I hope that Dexter comes to his senses and realizes what an insufferable hoser Lila is, because I'm getting to the point with her where I just want to, I don't know, set her on fire and put it out with an ice pick. Too far? Don't email me.

But Mr. Stupidhead, can I email if I want to buy a ticket on your train of thought? This character absolutely cannot go away quickly enough.

Reserve me a ticket too; Remember when Dex first when to a meeting and she was watching him? Right than I knew where the writers were going and I hated her before she even opened her mouth. Now she has ruined Dexters' life and he doesn't even realize it. Oh, and she ruined my life too because I have to spend an hour each week looking at her stupid face. Luckily we have Lundy and he's wicked awesome so he offsets her crappiness. Even if he is hot on Dexter's trail (which Dexter would realize if he wasn't so distracted by Lila).

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:16 PM

Mr. Stupidhead hit it on the head w/r/t Lila. I was worried about whether I had an irrational hatred for her, and why, but he expressed it perfectly.

I'm sure we're not supposed to like her, but I wonder if they were going for such an intense effect? I hope poor Jaime Murray was prepared for a little fallout. Hearing a British accent is going to give me negative associations for a while, and I have to contend with the fact that we have to endure Lila in one way or another for the rest of the season.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:26 PM

Is it just irrational hatred or has Lila been written to be unsympathetic from the start?

The character is suppose to be seductive to Dexter in ways that nobody else in his life has ever been before.

So has she never displaying any redeeming quality?

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:47 PM

Add me to the confused about what that scene meant. I had another interpretation of what that working light bulb could have meant. Maybe Dexter seeing it was working was meant to tell us that the light was only burnt out all along and it was never the wiring. Lila broke her landlord's light bulb for the hell of it.

It just seemed that Dexter was making yet another observation of how Lila's manipulative ways get results. After they had sex in the first scene, he commented "you really know what you want, don't you?" (which led to one of my favorite quotes of the night "I've always found instruction manuals quite useful"). After she broke her landlord's lightbulb, he said (in VO) "Got to admire Lila for taking things into her own hands..."

Her pro-active, controlling ways even rubbed off on him a little, inspiring him to send that manifesto to the press ("Guess I've been taking some cues from Lila lately, and not just in bed").

At the restaurant, he again commented "you really have a way.... of whatever the hell you want." Up until then, he seemed almost impressed by her ability to get what she wanted. But, at the end, with the the fixed lightbulb, maybe he finally began to see what "getting whatever the hell I want" really meant. And it wasn't necessarily a good thing.

The way she described her sculpture was also a bit telling: "Their eating is symbolic of the way we consume others to feed our needs." Interesting that the word "consume" is also used to describe what fire does. Consumed by flames, indeed.

By the way, I'm sort of puzzled by Lila's apartment building. On the outside, the numbers 301-409 would indicate apartment numbers. Yet, the numbers on the doors are all single digits. Lila's is apartment number is 8. Also, that rainy night when he rang her bell, she answered the door almost immediately. In reality, it would have taken her a considerably longer time to walk down that hallway to the outside door.

Edited by FrozenBarbie, Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:48 PM.

Charlie McGee

Charlie McGee

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:54 PM

"Is it just irrational hatred or has Lila been written to be unsympathetic from the start?

The character is suppose to be seductive to Dexter in ways that nobody else in his life has ever been before.

So has she never displaying any redeeming quality?"

Ooooh, good question. *thinks*

For me, I just have this horrible feeling that the writers were all in a room going, "Okay, well, what if Dexter met the chick from Fight Club? What would happen then?" and it all sounding like a really great idea at the time. That character- the crazy hot chick- is so played out IMO, that there's really nowhere new for the writers to take her. As viewers, we know where her storyline is going...she'll end up dead, in prison, or being forced by Dexter to move on etc. The only mystery is how it happens, not when.

I think some ideas just look better on paper...

Edited by Charlie McGee, Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:56 PM.

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

Is it just irrational hatred or has Lila been written to be unsympathetic from the start?

I meant irrational to the degree to which I hate the character. Mr. Stupidhead echoed my feeling: "Dude, I really can't explain how not okay I am with this pairing."

It's almost as if the writers were thinking 'You guys don't want Dexter with Rita? Well, be careful what you wish for.' The only minimal reassurance we have is that Dexter doesn't feel 'clean' until he's away from her. It's a start, but the reveal can't come fast enough.

sitkarose

sitkarose

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 7:18 PM

IMHO, Lila has been meant to be evil from day 1. Evidence: Her lack of boundaries in stealing "art supplies" and in the sponsorship relationship, how much she got off on seeing the dead bodies in the morgue/tent. Early episodes could be explained by calling her a "free spirit" (gag) but I think it was meant from the beginning to progress to the more manipulative/selfish things we see now, with even more evidence of lack of boundaries or respect for others as real beings. Although Dex was the one who broke into the house, she was the one who called the unknown bathrobe owner an "old bitch" (or words to that effect). I was glad to see that made Dex uncomfortable.

1st season Dex was "clearly" a sociopath/psychopath (still unclear on the distinction) - we had all the diagnostic info from Harry to say he was that way from childhood and his internal VO to confirm it.

2nd season - we get new info that creates doubt about Harry's truthfulness and motives (hence doubt of the diagnosis), plus Dex is feeling empathy and love for others (which he actually did for his sister 1st season, but Harry always told him he could only fake it).

I think Lila was introduced because she is a true sociopath - has no empathy for anyone else and only values them for how they fulfill her own needs. Burning up boyfriend/dealer only scared her because she could have been caught. She knows how to talk as if she felt remorse only because she knows it gets sympathy from others. She probably was sentenced to NA in a plea bargain for a suspended sentence for a small amount of dope and found it a great place to pick up people she could manipulate.

I don't think Lila will die in a plastic room - the sexual relationship between Dex and Lila brings too creepy an element into it - Dex isn't a sexual killer and there can't be any component of that if he is to retain audience sympathy.

However, based on nothing but my notion the writers have a twisty story-arc going, I think Lila will die - probably in a fire. Dex will either cause it by accident or have the opportunity to save her but step back (an act of omission rather then commission, probably due to a threat to Rita and the kids). Doakes will then decide that Dex killed Lila and circumstantial evidence will point to Dex (possibly Lila will have planted evidence in a plan to frame him for arson or attempted murder). Thus ironically Dex will be a suspect in a murder he did not commit (and not as the BHB because the MO will be different).

Did anyone else expect to see human skeletons inside the art figures as they burned up? Didn't happen but I was so expecting it.

I wonder if Dex's experience with forensics will cause him to see anything suspicious in the fire pattern? (Not his area, but he's been around forensics a long time). (Haven't seen any previews.)

kingcityguru

kingcityguru

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

Hello ... Miami Police!!!
Would not your first group of suspects be anyone that has a boat docked in the three habors? From that list would you not look at current and past law enforcement officers (even before the letter you would think someone would clue into the "who would know this kind of info about a bunch of unconnected people") and, I don't know, maybe from that list you look at guys who were in some way connected to the last serial killer in the city -- you know, the Ice Truck Killer -- since he too cut up his victims.

I know Miami is a big city, but you would think that people would remember the last serial killer of about a few months earlier. Wasn't Dex at the scene of when his sister was about to get killed and doesn't he have a boat in one of those three harbors and, well, he is in law enforcement -- blood splatters -- and well the ITK did drain his victims of blood. "Ahh, no connection ... move on! Angel, tell us some more about the books you are reading or about your theory on how the BHB must have been interrupted during the disposal of the bags containing the bodies because he dropped them in the ocean rather than in a garbage can."

Monkey Butler

Monkey Butler

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2007 @ 6:05 AM

It's a lot easier to deduce backwards than forwards. The audience knows that Dexter is the BHB, but the characters (except Doakes) have been given zero reason to suspect him. He's the nice guy yadayadayada.

As it stands, it's been mentioned that tons of cops have boats moored in Dex's marina because it's cheap. It's also been noted (I think) that there are bodies around from before the ITK. Just because the death of the ITK and the discovery of the bodies was presented chronologically in the show, doesn't mean any of the characters would jump to that conclusion, beyond "what if? Different MO, different timeframe etc., nah close that line of investigation".

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 11:30 AM

Love the title but there's no denying that this might be the weakest episode this season.

Dexter is great to watch but RecklessDexter is a BadDexter IMO.

Lila's influence has finally brought out the negative aspects that it was going to do.

Dexter's breaking into houses to sleep with her, he's dismissive over Deb's concerns about his behaviour, he's writing manifestos and now he's stupidly getting Doakes fired.

The last one is stupid because Doakes now has free rein to tail him. Maria was just inches from keeping Doakes out of Dexter's hair and Dexter ruined it.

On a plus side, he still loves Rita and he went to Cody's speech. Pity that Lila's arson ruined everything else. At least Dexter seems to know she's up to no good though.

Rita finally did something right in this episode by standing up to Gail and kicking her out. People like Gail shouldn't be a teacher. The woman has no tact or social skills whatsoever.

Deb and Lundy, it's getting closer to them sleeping together. I respected that Deb honestly broke up with Gabe but still not sure if her/Lundy is a good idea.

Some petty squabbling with Angel and Vince over literary references. Everyone seemed really mean to Angel in this one.

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

Late, admittedly, but I'll deny it - I thought this was a great episode.

Go Rita! Go Cody! (Aww.) Go Deb...maybe? I thought age-appropriate boyfriend seemed a bit of a bore.

I'm glad to see someone else in this thread thought Lila's accent was annoyingly fake and that the writers often give her phrases or words that sound completely jarring in an English RP-but-trying-to-hide-it accent. However, Lila finally became less one-note this episode. Admittedly it's all a bit "Fatal Attraction"; a bit cliched for a show which, I think, has some of the best female characters on TV.

Lundy is too good. Between his intelligence, Deb's rookie enthusiasm combined with insecurity, and Angel's sweet charm (btw-this season hasn't had nearly enough Angel), I really want them to solve this case, but then again, I don't - and I obviously know there's a season 3 and am grateful for it.

I like Doakes best when he's interacting with Maria, or last series when there was chemistry between him and Deb. I've found him annoying when bugging Dexter, but I dunno...the writers make you consider how strong your personal moral compass is!

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

My favourite episode of the Season - everyone was on their game and most of them acted intelligently, with the unusual exception of Dex himself. Sending the manifesto might be "proactive" but it's dumb because even if you cut & paste from the blogsphere, you're probably going to give off some clues as to your identity (which it did, as Lundy saw through it). And while setting up Doakes was fairly clever, he could have done it better - he should have suggested that the (step?) father was the murderer without actually saying it ("This blood misting is the sort of thing you might see if you beat somebody with a club...[but there are alternate explanations]") and let Doakes go off on the father. And it was remarkably convenient that Doakes didn't have a bloody nose from Dex's head butt as that would have undermined Dex's story when Doakes tackled him.

But Rita was right to kick out her controlling mother, Lundy is mostly acting reasonably as a mentor for Deb (I think the kiss was a mistake, but I don't think it will go any further) and even Deb realises that her attraction to Lundy is from her own sense of parental abandonment.

A few things did puzzle me though - why was LaGuerta out in the field (I don't think she left her office last Season and while she did get out in the field this season it was because she'd been demoted)? What exactly were Lila's statues made of that they went up like that (they looked like iron to me, which certainly wouldn't burn like that)?

random Just because Doakes happens to be right about Dexter doesn't make Doakes' behaviour any less wrong. Doakes *is* a vigilante. He's verbally abused and stalked someone, even though he had no right to do those things and in fact was breaking the law by doing them

Not just that, but he's a killer himself - last Season he performed an extra-judicial execution on a guy and set it up to make it look like he was attacked.

Nannergirl Nice surprise that they instead used it as a situation where Deb learns more about herself, complete with foul language; Lundy likes Deb for who she is - loved it!

He even swore!

LadyBast My problem with this scene is that Deb, of all people, was calling Lila a skank. Deb, who recently picked up a stranger at the gym and had sex with him in her brother's bed. Who is she to be calling anyone a skank?

Not wishing to sound like Ross Gellar, but they were broken up. You might not like his new girlfriend, but Dex was right to point out that he doesn't criticise her choice of partner.

ETA: I have to admit, one line that really cracked me up was "In London, everybody walks!" - a clear indication that Lila's either mad or a liar (or both) as that's definitely not the experience of the city I live in!

Edited by John Potts, Feb 20, 2009 @ 7:18 PM.

Chef Girl

Chef Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Hey, I just made the beloved Dex-Doakes "I Own You" headbutt even more awesome! And they said it couldn't be done... Dex headbutts Doakes