Best and Worst Actors & Actresses On Soaps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

228 replies to this topic

DiamondDoll

DiamondDoll

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Soaps, wrestling, House, Alias & Keeping Up appearences.

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:02 AM

Since we already have threads about the best and worst couples and the best and worst characters, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone thinks is either a good or a bad actor & actress. I want to hear everyone’s opinions about this topic and get a good discussion going, so please do not just post lists, but give reasons why do you think the actors and actresses who you chose are good or bad.

What is the measuring stick for a good or a bad actor? Do Emmy's really determine who's better than the rest? Is it possible to be bad in a good way? Can someone brought in as eye candy ever redeem him/herself?

To me there are a couple of actors who I have always considered to be awesome, but I do know that since I have only ever watched General Hospital, Days of Our lives and the Bold & the Beautiful, so there is probably be even more out there that I'm not familiar with. But anyway, my list goes like this...

BEST

Ric Hearst [General Hospital] - Hearst is a fantastic actor who can tell a story with his eyes. He's got the intensity and he almost never falls to the trap of overacting like so many do these days *coughMauriceBenardcough*. To me, Ric is one of the rare actors on daytime who is a total package: someone who is good looking, talented and can elevate a horrible storyline to something watchable.

Katherine Kelly Lang [Bold & Beautiful] - KKL is, to me, the best actress on daytime and it's a shame she has never won an Emmy. When given the right material, KKL can you blow you away, as she did in the rape storyline. She can play both the conniving, manipulative soap vixen and the perennial good girl and she can do it with such charm and grace.

WORST

Austin Peck
[Days Of Our Lives] - The man can. not. act. He has two facial expressions: the blank stare of boredom and the orgasm face and comes off as dumb as rocks. He has no emotion in his delivery and matched against good actors, his weaknesses show even more blatantly.

Alicia Leigh Willis [General Hospital] - She has a condition known as anti-chemistry, where she is unable to create sparks with any actor (the only one who got some charm out of her was Billy Warlock, but we all know that came strickly from him). She doesn't have much of a screen presence and her delivery was always poor and gringe worthy.

Edited by DiamondDoll, Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:03 AM.

Nolebucgrl

Nolebucgrl

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, movies, tv (of course), FOOTBALL, baseball

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:49 AM

I'll second your Austin Peck and add a giant helping of Marcus Patrick to it. He is the most wooden actor I've ever seen in daytime, at least giving the Peckster a run for his money. The lines he was given, constantly telling Chelsea how hot she was, while appearing to be more interested in his buddy Jeremy, did him no favors, but the fact is the guy only ever had chemistry with himself. He was clearly hired for eye candy purposes but only served to annoy the hell out of most viewers I've come in contact with.

Honorary mention to Brandon Beemer, another character who has zero chemistry with everyone. He's a legacy character who has fantastic parents yet he comes off as a moron to the highest degree. Looks wise he looks like Bo & Hope, but talent wise he doesn't approach them. I really miss Jason Cook, who wasn't the best actor in the world but he was miles better than this version of Shawn Douglas.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:26 AM

Do Emmy's really determine who's better than the rest?

Not since Natalia Livingston (and Jacob Young before her) won. I so hope Natalia leaves soon. She has got to be the worst actress I have ever seen. She can't deliver her lines without an "uh" or "um" and she draws out each. freakin'. word. Drives me insane. I hate to lose another Quartermaine, but god I wish this chick would go away.

Edited by DanaMB, Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:26 AM.

BenjyDiMera

BenjyDiMera

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:30 AM

Charity Rahmer, temporary Belle Black on Days, hands down, worst actor to grace Salem with their presence. Ever.

I agree with Nolebucgrl that Marcus Patrick is a close second. Austin Peck was horrible on Days, however, I find him refreshingly capable on ATWT as Brad Snyder. Maybe he really needed to be played a character that didn't have the same name. I think after a few years, he had a hard time distinguishing Austin Peck from Austin Reed. Not the sharpest tool in the drawer, that's for sure.

Tammin Suresucks on Y&R is abominable. The actress's refusal to even attempt an American accent because she "doesn't want to lose her Australian roots" is laughably unprofessional.

Edited by BenjyDiMera, Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:35 AM.

Kim0820

Kim0820

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:31 AM

The Emmy doesn't seem to always have much to do with acting - some recipients are good and others are awful. If anyone can explain how NL of GH got one, I will re-evaluate that.

I don't mind some eye candy - I usually find I am more tolerant of those actors than posters generally.

The best - I'd say Jeanne Cooper of YR, she can really deliver the lines; Peter Bergman of YR, Jess Walton of YR and ES of OLTL.

The worst - Suresucks, YR, is awful but I dislike her for the way she got her job so I'm not objective. I haven't watched GH in a while, but whenever I see the ads or bits of it, the guy who plays Jason always has the same look on his face and therefore seems like a terrible actor to me - I know some think he is capable, but I've never happened to see it. I can't stand Mo but it may be his show domination and his overplayed character more than his acting.

Sometimes it is pretty hard to separate actor from character but then again maybe the reason you like a character is the way the actor does it. Or they are OK with one person and terrible with another. CM on ATWT - I liked her character when she was with Craig but hated her when she was with Paul.

On ATWT, I hated Carly for the assertion she shouldn't go to jail for her crimes because she has children; but didn't mind it when Phyllis or YR did the same thing - though that could be the writing, since all other characters on ATWT agreed with Carly but other YR characters were allowed to call Phyllis on that ridiculous assertion.

It is definitely hard to compare - each actor has different writing to contend with.

Mackiaveli

Mackiaveli

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:56 AM

Honorary mention to Brandon Beemer, another character who has zero chemistry with everyone. He's a legacy character who has fantastic parents yet he comes off as a moron to the highest degree.

I second that emotion. Brandon is bloody awful as Shawn Brady. He has no charisma, intensity, seems lacking in intelligence, and has no real acting talent. Brandon makes the character of Shawn not only come off as a moron but also as weak, lightweight, and a bit effeminate. He is not a competent actor in any manner.

I also think Martha Madison is an awful actress as Belle Black. She seems bland, wooden, frumpy, and has zero chemistry with any of her male co-stars. IMO

Tammin Suresucks on Y&R is abominable.

Ditto. I'll also throw in Adriennne Frantz, Christel Khalil, and Daniel Goddard as being horrid and cringe worthy actors.

Some of the best actors are Peter Bergman, Jeanne Cooper, Robin Strasser, Erika Slezak, Eden Reigel, David Canary, Rick Hearst, Beth Ehlers, etc.

Rancide

Rancide

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

Best:

Tony Geary. (GH) Probably the best actor on daytime, ever. Skilled at giving his character layers under even the most asinine writers. He's so good I kind of wish he'd give up acting and take up writing. If he did, maybe the show wouldn't suck so damn bad.

Vanessa Marcil. (Former GH). She could have chemistry with an inanimate object. And was frequently asked to! :: cough :: Sonny :: cough ::

Nancy Lee Grahn. (GH, former SB). See above. She spins shit into gold like no one's business. And she's now past 50 and still smokin' hot without making herself seem simpery or ridiculously immature. Deidre Hall, take lessons!

Rick Hearst (GH + a bunch of others). Also amazing at making the worst stories come to life.

Worst:

Austin Peck. (ATWT, former DAYS). One of the many things that drove me away from Days a decade ago. He honestly came off as developmentally challenged. Patrick Muldoon was so great, and I never figured out why they couldn't get him back. Melrose Place has been off the air for years, and I don't think PM has done anything worth mentioning since.

Natalia Livingston. (GH) I kind of feel bad for listing her because in every interview I've ever seen, she seems to be a wonderfully sweet, extremely hardworking, humble, caring woman. But good Lord does she suck sweaty balls as an actress.

Drake Hogestyn. (DAYS) Along with Austin Peck, a substantial part of the reason I stopped watching. I know some consider his overacting to be almost an endearing trademark at this point. But really... watching him partially clothed and sucking face with Deirdre Hall well into their 60s was more than I could take. I understand he's been killed off recently. Here's hoping he stays dead.

DiamondDoll

DiamondDoll

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Soaps, wrestling, House, Alias & Keeping Up appearences.

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 10:35 AM

Tony Geary. (GH) Probably the best actor on daytime, ever. Skilled at giving his character layers under even the most asinine writers. He's so good I kind of wish he'd give up acting and take up writing. If he did, maybe the show wouldn't suck so damn bad.

Vanessa Marcil. (Former GH). She could have chemistry with an inanimate object. And was frequently asked to! :: cough :: Sonny :: cough ::

I love you Rancide. To me Vanessa and Tony are the most talented actors who have ever graced GH and coincidently, their characters Luke and Brenda are pretty much the only ones that I have never hated (along with Wally Kurt [Ned Ashton], since it's not possible to hate anything that the smoking hawt, leather pants-wearing singing stud does)

Drake Hogestyn. (DAYS) Along with Austin Peck, a substantial part of the reason I stopped watching. I know some consider his overacting to be almost an endearing trademark at this point. But really... watching him partially clothed and sucking face with Deirdre Hall well into their 60s was more than I could take. I understand he's been killed off recently. Here's hoping he stays dead.

I hated the John Black character and never saw anything magical about the 'love' story (face sucking) of John & Marlena. But to me, Drake is comedy bad, he's so awful that it's hilarious. Any scene with him is pretty much comedy gold, more so than most sitcoms lately.

Edited by DiamondDoll, Nov 3, 2007 @ 11:04 AM.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

Rick Hearst is the absolute best actor on soaps today. He really needs to be the lead character on some soap, any soap.

The rest of the absolute best: Peter Bergman, Katherine Kelly Lang, and Maura West.

Edited by rue bee, Nov 3, 2007 @ 11:00 AM.

Charity McKay

Charity McKay

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 1:18 PM

Passions definitely has some of the worst soap actors of all time - Leigh Taylor-Young, McKenzie Westmore, Charles Divins, Mark Cameron Wystrach, Richard Steinmetz, Christopher Douglas, Jesse Metcalfe, Adrian Bellani, James Hyde, Dana Sparks, Danica Stewart, and Adrian Wilson all make the list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, too.

Passions has had some good actors, though. Ben Masters, Kim Johnston Ulrich, Emily Harper, Justin Hartley, Eva Tamargo, Galen Gering (post-Sheridan), Lindsay Hartley, Brook Kerr, and Liza Huber have all put on some truly amazing performances.

And I haven't really watched enough other soaps to comment, but I always did like Lauren Koslow on Days and Julie Marie Berman on General Hospital, to name a few.

bonobochick

bonobochick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 3:20 PM

Passions definitely has some of the worst soap actors of all time - Leigh Taylor-Young, McKenzie Westmore, Charles Divins, Mark Cameron Wystrach, Richard Steinmetz, Christopher Douglas, Jesse Metcalfe, Adrian Bellani, James Hyde, Dana Sparks, Danica Stewart, and Adrian Wilson all make the list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, too.

Molly Stanton when she wasn't zombie Charity was pretty bad though you got all the other ones. The "actress" who plays Pretty is horrific.

For being better than the normal Passions caliber acting, I would put James Stevenson on the best list before TPTB decided to assassinate the character of Jared.

Edited by bonobochick, Nov 3, 2007 @ 3:24 PM.

Nmissi

Nmissi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 3:52 PM

Poor Drake is getting a bad rap: I remember his scenes as "single dad" Roman were wonderful; he had great father-child chemistry with each of his onscreen kids. And he really could act, it's just been years since the last time the script required him to do so. He was great butting heads with Victor back in the day, and really enjoyable paired with Isabella, and with Marlena early on. He just started phoning it in during the long hell of Reilly and never really started trying again.

regimechangegl

regimechangegl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 4:34 PM

Lawrence St. Victor(Remy GL) is the worst actor on daytime television. I have seen cardboard with more emotions than this kid. His best acting was on the anniversary show when he was the prop boy with no speaking lines.

Lady V

Lady V

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 5:24 PM

On General Hospital:
I agree with the comment about about Tony Geary. If I had to pick one actor for "best of soaps" it would be Tony. He also brings out the best in anyone sharing screen time with him.

Ditto Vanessa Marcil. That woman has chemistry with not only living things, she could make hand lotion emote back. They keep hiring look-alike actresses, but it's not her looks, it's her acting, and that amazing chemistry.

For younger actors, gone on to better things, Jonathon Jackson and Amber Tamblyn. Both could break your heart, or make you laugh. GH lost bigtime when they lost these talented, astonishing young actors.

I also thought Demi Moore, as young as she was on GH, just captured the camera, you couldn't take your eyes from her in a scene. Genie Francis was always right there, and she took you with her from Christmas Stars, to on the run, to being a mom, she was just one of the best ever. John Stamos (Blackie) had it too, that ability to break your heart, make you root for him, and believe whatever he said. Jane Elliot, when given the material, rocks it like no one else. Nancy Lee Grahn is the same way, when you give her something to do, she makes it work, she makes it compelling. I hate the crap they give her, but as an actress, she finds a way.

On All My Children:

Kim Delany was wonderful, partially perhaps because she was with Michael E Knight most of the time. David Canary is good too. Josh Duhamel was a great soap hero. Frankly, AMC actors generally don't stack up to other soap actors, IMO. Even the (now) great Peter Bergman was mostly just annoying as Cliff on AMC.

OLTL:

Roger Howarth was so good that much to his disgust, he made a brutal rapist not just compelling, but tragic, and someone that you couldn't help but root for. You wanted him to get past his demons, to succeed, to find love, to find forgiveness, to make it.

Ilene Kristen has rocked the small screen since RH, and she still, somehow pulls off the most ridiculous shit. She is so much better than the stuff they give her to do--shameful waste of a natural actress.

Nathan Fillion as Joey just steamed up the screen. He was gone so fast, it's hard to know how great he could have been, but while there, he created the definitive, and never matched, Joey.

Gerald Anthony as Mario, never struck a false note, and the range they gave him would have stumped many actors. Be a blackmailing pimp, but make us love you while you manipulate our beloved Karen, Judith Light . Fantastic pairing of two talented actors.

I also think Kassie DePaiva is under-rated, and is every bit as good as Robin Strasser, who also rocks any scene, and has for years.

James DePaiva used to be so damn good as the Rhett Butler of soaps, but age and bad writing wrecked it all. Still, in his prime? Classic soap hunk.
Roscoe Born the first time around was my very favorite villain ever, scary as hell, sexy as hell, and I will never hear "Smooth Operator" without thinking of him.
Andrea Evans as Tina was just perfect as the tragic/comic slapstick/tears striver. No one else managed to get Tina right. I missed her when they wrote her off, and I hated all the recasts in the role.

Yes, I know I am leaving out Viki Lord, but I have never liked Erika Slezak and her darting tongue, but I did like Gillian Spencer in the role, as the original Niki/Viki. I was just a little kid avoiding homework, but I still remember her Viki, and no one else has lived up to it. She was so good, and when Meredith was killed, she was even better.

Edited by Lady V, Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:33 PM.

RogerRocks

RogerRocks

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 5:34 PM

Best:

Roger Howarth as Todd 1993-2001 and Paul Ryan July 2003-Jan 2006.

Tom Pelphery.

Susan Haskill.

Maura West.

Worse:

Marie Wilson.

Trevor St. John.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

Best Actors:

GH- Rick Hearst and Nancy Lee Grahn.

AMC-I loved Julia Barr as Brooke and still miss her. I also enjoyed Anna Stuart as Mary Smythe. I think Eden Riegel is a talented young actress who did a great job with Bianca's rape and baby switch storylines. Vincent Irizarry as David was also great.

ATWT- I've only started watching this show around Februrary but I've been very impressed with Van Hansis. He has a very natural acting style.

Worst actors-

A large percentage of the cast of Passions. I remember the first guy who played Antonio was particularly bad.

Edited by oreo8704, Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:16 PM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:24 PM

Yes, I know I am leaving out Viki Lord, but I have never liked Erika Slezak and her darting tongue, but I did like Gillian Anderson in the role

Hee, I know you meant Gillian Spencer, but oh, can you imagine "young Viki" a la Dana Scully?

This list is totally incomplete without Beverlee McKinsey's name, but then AW also had Doug Watson, Anna Stuart, Victoria Wyndham, and Stephen Schnetzer for this sort of list.

McKinsey's Iris, Watson's Mac, and Wyndham's Rachel benefitted from great writing, but Iris could have very easily become too "evil" for viewers to sympathize with her, given the heinous things Iris did over the years. It was McKinsey who managed kept Iris on that thin line--just evil enough to keep people shocked, but vulnerable enough to keep a certain percentage of fans willing to rationalize her misdeeds. Watson was (still is) my favorite patriarch character of all time, though he also injected Mac with a lot of human frailties (mainly his misplaced love and loyalty for people who took advantage of his good heart). Watson's Mac was good without being a goody-goody. And Victoria Wyndham always brought so much more to a scene than just the dialogue. I recall in later years where she could recite every line in a scene with enough subtext for the viewer to realize Rachel was thinking the exact opposite of what she was saying. Wyndham also had this wonderful ability to keep Rachel's roots close to the surface, even after decades of living in that Cory mansion.

I've already waxed poetic about Anna Stuart in similar threads here, so suffice it to say I've never heard anyone criticize Stuart's performances, even when they might have been criticizing Donna's actions on screen. Stephen Schnetzer amazes me in his ability to go from flirty to serious to angry to flirty again in the span of one scene. He "advertises" his character's emotions quite well with his facial expressions, and of course he could teach courses in delivering a comic line with a totally deadpan expression.

Edited by daniel82, Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:27 PM.

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:28 PM

This is interesting, because people seem to be talking about two different things, which sometimes (but not always) intersect - actor ability and actor chemistry. I agree with those who say Vanessa Marcil has chemistry with wood, but I would not classify her as a world-class actress. She's a competent actress who possesses an extraordinary knack for connecting with others - something that in soaps might be more important than talent, but is not necessarily the same thing.

In terms of terrific acting, I'd say Anthony Geary and Michael Zaslow are the best the genre has ever seen. On the female side, probably Judith Light and Jeanne Cooper, although Cooper has developed a real taste for scenery during the last decade or two. I'd also include Rick Hearst, Nancy Lee Grahn, and throw in a mention for Tom Pelphrey as a terrific young actor who may or may not fulfill his potential.

For worst, the list is longer. There's the immortal, enjoyably dreadful Drake Hogestyn, and then there is the unforgettable Charity Rahmer. I only saw about five minutes of her Belle and feel confident in including her in this category. I'd also throw in Natalia Livingston, who just doesn't know one end of a script from the other, and the glorified extras of GH, ie, Max, Milo and Big Alice. They don't even count, in a way, because they just don't know how.

NBC really deserves its own category. I can enjoy Passions and DOOL, but they operate on a different level. Lots of shirtless boys who don't know how to act, lots of pretty, vacant women - and then there are the performers who punch through the gauzy quality - Alison Sweeney, Lindsay Hartley - not sure if I'd call them good, exactly, but they sure come across.

ETA, I just feel bad for not giving honorable mentions to Anna Stuart, Robin Strasser and David Canary as numbering among soapdom's finest. Plus, I don't think anyone's given a mention to Lane Davies or Robin Strasser, two terrific, reliable performers. And finally, how is that we've all forgotten to bow down to the greatness that is Susan Flannery?

Edited by Hatpin, Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:33 PM.

Lady V

Lady V

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 6:48 PM

Yikes! Fixed. Sorry Gillian!

For worst the list is just too damn long.

I will pick a couple.

Natalia Livingston is just so damn bad it's nuts. It's not even that she is filling the role Amber played so well, the girl simply can't act. She is one of the reasons I left soaps for good.

Another really bad soap actor is the guy who plays Mac Scorpio. He has anti-chemistry, and can't let himself go in a love scene to save his life. He finally tried to, after years of boring "lovemaking" and it was so over the top bad that I cringed. If a soap actor can't do love/sex scenes? Find another job!

The current Adam Chandler Jr. sucks in ever role he does too. Yes, he knows his lines, and he has his "smoldering, confused, angry, whatever "look" down, but he is just so bad. I tuned in the other day and the guy was practically prancing around the set. Just terrible.

The recasts for Max, Joey, Kevin, or Tina on OLTL were universally bad. No charm, and under or over played by one and all.

There are a ton more, but those are the ones that first came to mind.

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 7:13 PM

Lawrence St. Victor(Remy GL) is the worst actor on daytime television. I have seen cardboard with more emotions than this kid. His best acting was on the anniversary show when he was the prop boy with no speaking lines.

Too true. I remember when they did that full-episode special doing work in New Orleans, someone on the GL board commented that the actor wasn't even convincing as himself. Hee.

Shmangalang

Shmangalang

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 7:14 PM

Worst male actor has to be whoever plays Cole on OLTL. He's just horrible. His eyes dance around independent of each other like a lizard's would, and he stresses the oddest words in his readings.

Edited by Shmangalang, Nov 3, 2007 @ 7:15 PM.

doguncle

doguncle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 7:57 PM

Two names standing out by their absense here to date are Larry Brygmann (ex-John Dixon, ATWT) and Elizabeth Hubbard (Lucinda Walsh, ATWT). LB kept John viable for over 40 years as a grey hat and the malpractice trial vs. Lisa (Eilleen Fulton's greatest moment, IMO) and the death of his son with Barbara after the church fire. EH was LB's best acting partner and she worked well with Martha Bryne, Fulton and Scott Bryce, among others. Hubbard's Lucinda is one of the great scene stealers of all time on a par with Geary.
Another name for the best list has been gone for a long time: AW's Constance Ford (Ada). Not only did she work well with both Robin Strasser and VW as Rachel, but she had her own life, including a late-in-life child. It's too bad she died before Carl and Rachel started their romance because the scenes between her and Charles Keating would have been great.

Edited by doguncle, Nov 3, 2007 @ 8:10 PM.

Yellowbird

Yellowbird

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 8:47 PM

Best: Jeanne Cooper from Y&R
Tuc Watkins OLTL - that man spins shit into gold.
Also, I'm really feeling Daniel Goddard in the past two months. He's got some layers/depth going there that I really like.
Tim Stickney(RJ) from OLTL. What a fuckin' waste of talent that I will NEVER forgive OLTL for shelving.

Worst:

Melissa Archer. The fact that she has a job and they fought to keep her AND she has a fanbase that thinks she's talented has baffled me for years. She's horrible. She can't emote. She only has one or two facial expressions and isn't remotely interesting to watch. It doesn't help that her character is illogical, petulant and obnoxious.

Melisso Gallo. I'm sure she's stereotypically attractive but she has no presence or - what's the word? Acting skills, that's it.

Most of the cast of Passions.

Tobias Travillion(?) Vincent from OLTL. All I can say is "WTF?"

Edited by Yellowbird, Nov 3, 2007 @ 8:52 PM.

Lector

Lector

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

You have to wonder if these are all bad actors, or competent-to-good actors acting badly. I've seen several unimpressive ex-AMC performers (most recently, Justin Bruening) turn out to be, if not John Gielgud or Judi Dench, then at least watchable when they had the advantage of adequate direction, decent scripts, and multiple takes. And some of the older AMC actors, like James Mitchell and the late Ruth Warrick, are or were engaging in deliberate self-parody...

Yellowbird

Yellowbird

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

Good question Lector.
I find Pelphrey to be the quintessential over-the-top hammy soap actor. But GL's writing is pretty horrific. I can't imagine too many people making it work.

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 10:01 PM

I thought Pelphrey was initially terrific, and then descended into scenery-chewing. I hope that he gets the experience he needs to reign in his instincts to go over the top. It's nice to see a young actor willing to risk looking foolish, and he has the ability to back up big, bold choices - but after a while, he started losing all nuance and was clearly relying on tricks that had worked before. An easy trap, especially when you're working as hard as some soap actors do.

decogirl1

decogirl1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 12:57 AM

The recasts for Max, Joey, Kevin, or Tina on OLTL were universally bad. No charm, and under or over played by one and all.

Don't you say mean things about Kevin #11, because Dan Gauthier was the best Kevin of all, and definitely on my best actor list. . . along with Tony Geary and Peter Bergman for the men. Judith Light, Hilary B. Smith, Susan Flannery and Heather Tom for women.

Worst. There are so many: NuGreenlee, Ms. Rahmer and Ms. Sursucks have to top the list. But Sursucks wins for the amount of time she just stares into the camera when other people are talking. At least Charity can focus. As for the men, Ron Moss and Windsor Harmon are god awful. Could we recast Thorne . . . say with Dan Gauthier?

Edited by decogirl1, Nov 8, 2007 @ 3:30 AM.

humdrum

humdrum

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 4:10 AM

Ron Moss and Windsor Harmon are god awful.

YES. Windsor Harmon and his futile attempts to cover up his thick southern accent while delivering his lines make me laugh, while Ronn Moss' wooden acting and overall affectation make me cringe. You would think that after 20+ years Ronn would have made some improvement acting wise, but nope--if anything he's gotten worse.

On the flip side, one of the best is Susan Flannery; she's brilliant!

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 11:44 AM

I actually like Winsor Harmon, but I wouldn't put him on the top tier acting-wise either (though he does have his moments).

Peter Bergman, Susan Flannery, and Jeanne Cooper (okay, and Tony Geary) are usually so far ahead of everybody else in this genre they should be on their own damn list. So, excluding them:

Best: Hilary B. Smith, Rick Hearst, Dan Gauthier, Jess Walton, Michelle Stafford, Judith Light (even seeing it decades later, the now-legendary Karen Wolek witness-stand scene made me a believer)

Worst: Kathy Tong, Brandon Buddy, Charity Rahmer, Adrian Bellani, Javier Morga, Danica Stewart

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2007 @ 11:58 AM

He even irritated me during the promo segments when he'd bellow, "Seventy years!"