The Grassy Knoll: DWTS Conspiracy Theories

• Please log in to reply

2366 replies to this topic

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Thankfully, Katherine does not remind me at all of Mel B. Katherine is classy, while Mel B seemed crude. And I think Katherine is a much better dancer and performer.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

I don't see Donald as anything like Marie Osmond. I think he's a much better technical dancer than both Maria and William

You're right, he is much better than Maria and William.

Donald is nothing like Marie. I think that is a huge insult.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Topic, please.

Grit99

Grit99

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

Really surprised that nobody has given a shout-out to the Grassy Knoll's mention by Tom Bergeron on the Semi-Finals Results Show. Of course, the producers keep an eye on forum comments, especially on a competitive reality show. At least we know its worth all the effort to comment - maybe they are listening!

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Hey Grit, I heard Tom say that and couldn't believe my ears. Thanks for the shout out, TB!

I'm wondering if Donald really is the front runner and he was put in jeopardy to either shake up his voting public (I hate the word "fans") or get them to give up and vote for someone else. I've felt for several weeks, even back when I was rooting for Gladys/Tristan, that his low judge scores were because of his high vote-getting which did not fit in with TPTB's plan for the "best" winner.

I guess I'll find out in another week or so.

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean this thread, but was instead referring to the grassy knoll and the Kennedy assassignation. That was what I thought he meant anyway, this thread never even crossed my mind.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Yeah, I think "grassy knoll" is pretty common usage and has been defined as a catchphrase for conspiracy for almost 50 years...So, it might not have been a TWoP shout-out.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Yeah, I know rules and Shant, I thought the same thing since "grassy knoll" is now a general conspiracy term. Still, I def thought of this place so I got a kick out of Tom saying that. Hey, take 'em where you find 'em!

Jaen the Glad

Jaen the Glad

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I must have missed Tom's "grassy knoll" remark. What did he say?

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

It was in relation to the repeated slo-mo playback of Mark and Katherine's mishap from their 2nd dance

It was a reference to the analysis of the Zapruder tape of the Kennedy assassination

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

It was a reference to the analysis of the Zapruder tape of the Kennedy assassination

Or this TWoP thread. Only TB knows for sure.

apol11dear

apol11dear

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:11 AM

Just putting in here a summary of some DWTS season 14 conspiracy theories I heard and read in all kinds of media since its the finals and character assessments are part of the judging criteria for some.

The tie that binds - Katherine has ties to Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) in the UK, the mother show of DWTS where Bruno and Len are also judges. And Darcey Bussell, the other half of Katherine in Viva La Diva dance and sing musical, is now a judge on SCD.

She has the backing of Andrew Lloyd Webber, David Foster, Piers Morgan, and almost all of UK celebrities.

The NFL block all-out party - NFL always have their players back. And they are the rabid kind of fans to go all-out for Donald. Very solid voting block which begs the question why he was put in the bottom two by TPTB.

All football players, football fans, ESPN, the African-american block, etc. are all behind Donald.

The Latino Effect - Latin soap operas are huge all over the world, William has a major chunk of the votes globally. The Hispanic market in the US is also bigger than anticipated.

Telenovela junkies, hispanic community are rooting for him.

---------------
DWTS Packaging

Katherine is the sweet, prim and proper Welsh wiggler. Though urban dictionary seems to contradict the prim and proper. lol

Donald, the big formidable NFL player who is a bigger family man. A real fan of DWTS.

William, the heartthrob of the season. Eye-candy purposes only.

---------------
DWTS Team Name

Team KMark. Like the chain of discount stores, K-Mart.

Team Driving Miss Peta. The most innovative team name.

Its Team Fuego which is the coolest team name.

---------------
Haters

Katherine haters are saying she's a phony, acting as sweet and shy British lady. And has deceived them by withholding crucial information on her dance training background.

Donald haters are fans of other teams. They are scared of Donald and his NFL buddies. And of NFL players winning the DWTS title.

William haters are loud. They hate on him for having a pretty face, a pretty body etc. everything that goes with William. Even his pro.

---------------
Geography

Katherine is from the UK where DWTS mothership SCD is produced. Studied in the prestigious Royal Academy of Music and graduated with honors. Her pro Ballas (actor, singer, dancer, choreographer), an American, son of champions Ballas, also lived and competed in the UK for most of his life, won the trophy twice with top crowd favorites.

Donald was born and raised in the US. A talented athlete (American football and track) and a children's book author that persevered and succeeded in the NFL and in ilfe. His pro Murgatroyd, an Australian dancer who went from Burn the Floor to DWTS Troupe to DWTS pro and now her DWTS season 2 has reached the finals.

William is from Cuba and his family was given political asylum to the US, now a naturalized US citizen. Got into college with a baseball scholarship but later went on to become a model / telenovela actor. His pro Burke, an American, the only DWTS Pro of east - west descent, who debuted in season 2 DWTS and also won the trophy that same season.

---------------
Trained or Inborn dancing toes

Katherine has been trained in voice and theater during her time in Royal Academy of Music, UK. She developed and improved her skills through her RAM time and in concerts and musicals, see Viva La Diva.

Donald has no prior dance training except the shimmy on the club dance floor and on the field. Got some natural rhythm on his toes.

William has no prior dance training. But he is a natural lead-er and an organic dancer. Rhythm is in his soul.

---------------
Chain Reaction

Katherine had claimed to have used illegal substances in the past. But kicked the habit and has been clean and sober ever since.

Donald had claimed he used to deal. He has turned his life around and made great contributions to helping other people.

William is the drug of choice by some women and some men.

---------------
The S X factor

Katherine's obsession with her naughty bits. (@dancecenter) The pop opera Marilyn Monroe.

Donald and his awesome eight-pack. Has taken off his shirt/open shirt many times this season. Hot chocolate.

William and bum. A hot man who didn't want to take his shirt off together with Donald and Maksim. (gee, that sounded so wrong, lol)

---------------
DWTS Pros and haters

Mark Ballas. Two time champion. Great dancer. Great showboat expert. Also an actor and a singer. Never had a partner that was 80 years old and with no fanbase. Has haters though his supporters are more vocal and lords all over the web.

Peta Murgatroyd. Second DWTS season. Great dancer. Great body. Great personality. Currently dating Maksim? So replace Donald with Maksim in their trio, we'll have an epic DWTS love triangle with Karina. No haters yet.

Cheryl Burke. Two time champion. Got rob for her third trophy with Marini. Rumor magnet. Has written a book about her life and dancing. Great Pro. Brilliant marketer and strategist. Great teacher. Master at choreography for injured persons, rhythm disabled and old people (Hello, Wayne Newton and Tom De Lay). Apparently has the most loud anti-supporters that their wordplay becomes child's play.

So that's a summary of everything I've read and heard for this DWTS season.

Enjoy the telenovela DWTS on their last two weeks.

----------------

Further more, TEAM PASO TO THE FINALS! DONALD AND WILLIAM to the top!

Edited by apol11dear, May 17, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

stephelena

stephelena

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

All football players, football fans, ESPN, the African-american block, etc. are all behind Donald.

I am African-American and I take offense to this statement. I haven't voted since Gladys Knight left and just because I am black doesn't mean I would vote for Donald. I understand what you are saying, but...

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

Continuing this convo from Mark's thread, since it's more appropriate here:

I did mean giving Mark the cream of the crop so he'll hopefully get to the finals - and I'm really fascinated by your theory that neither he nor Derek has the massive fan support that Maks and Tristan have, but it makes sense. I think it's gotta be their choreography that prompts the producers to give them the best partners, usually, and on top of that, they're frequently propped into the finals, a la Chelsea and Ricki - and even this season, Maria at least if not both her and Katherine.

Just to make sure I'm crystal clear, I'm talking about the type of voting fan support that will support a pro with any partner.

I do think that Derek is probably the overall most popular pro on the show, in terms of casual viewers. If you ask people about the show, I find that Derek invariably comes up. At least in my conversations.

The thing is, most people who watch do not vote. I keep saying that, because it's important to keep in mind when people complain about things like Nicole winning or Chelsea getting to the finals. I find that the reaction out there really doesn't match the anger here. In large part it's due to the fact that I find that most casual viewers I know, tend to not really have strong negative feelings toward any of the contestants (except for the obvious ones, like Bristol).

The show knows that there's a difference between overall viewers and voters, and it aims to please overall viewers. That's why they do the things they do. In their minds, they probably think that Chelsea getting to the finals is a good thing, because she's the better dancer (especially considering Ralph's injury at the time), and therefore would probably put on a better show in the finals. Some people say "well, if she's not getting the same votes as Ralph, maybe that's not what the viewers want to see." And then I'd say (and TPTB would probably say) that those votes aren't necessarily representative of the overall viewership. And even if they are, like I said, I find that casual viewers tend to like a lot of people. So even if they prefer Ralph over Chelsea or Evan over Nicole, they don't feel a sense of outrage over it. They are more apt to express anger when a straight up bad dancer outlasts good people. And that usually happens, dun dun dun, due to voters.

So yeah, in short, I don't necessarily consider voting a representation of overall viewing popularity. Especially since so many other factors may be involved in voting. Maks may be able to get his partners further based on just sheer fan vote devotion, but Derek (and his choreography, more specifically) is probably more representative of what viewers overall want to see, even if they don't vote. I think that the same applies to other pros as well. This, I believe, is the way that TPTB thinks. And I don't think that that thinking is off-base at all.

And just to be clear, before Maks fans misinterpret what I'm saying, I'm not saying that Maks isn't popular with overall viewers. I believe that he is, actually. This post is not about Maks. I'm just mentioning him because in Mark's thread, I mentioned him as someone who I think is a pro who can get his partners far no matter who they are. And my point was that I don't believe that that's just a representation of a pro's overall popularity or viability, or value to the viewing audience at home in general. Voters only make up a smaller, more hardcore, base.

Edited by QueenL, May 22, 2012 @ 12:33 AM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I do think that Derek is probably the overall most popular pro on the show, in terms of casual viewers. If you ask people about the show, I feel that Derek invariably comes up. At least in my conversations.

I agree with this. Although I'd throw Cheryl in there too. They seem to be the most well known and well liked by the general viewing public. For the hardcore Internet fans and voters I think you can stick Maks and Tristan in there too, but not so much for just overall enjoyment and knowledge of a pro.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

Being popular and being well known are two different things. I'd say the most well known are Derek, Cheryl, and Maks. Derek may be more popular with the casual audience, but love him or hate him, people tend to know who Maks is. For pure name recognition, Mark is probably up there too, but he's been eclipsed by Derek in recent years.

I think Mark's partners changed a little after Shannen. That one seemed to shock TPTB. The very next season he got Bristol, who was just a bit too tall for him, but she was almost guarenteed to last until week 5 based on attention alone. Chelsea, Kristen, and Katherine, have all been young, in shape, and likable. Okay, maybe Kristen wasn't entirely likable, but she made up for it by knowing the ins and outs of reality tv and getting a decent amount of press exposure. Basically, I think his partners have been chosen to help Mark get to mid-season.

I don't know that Mark is necessarily more popular with the viewing public than he is with voting public. I've met causaul viewers who have noticed the faces he pulls and his ove-the-top dancing. He does seem to have a few fairly well-placed fans among the producers who keep giving him partners who have potential. Mark is probably becoming one of the most polarizing pros. I don't think it matters if a pro is popular or polarize so long as they make for good tv.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I didn't really understand your distinction between "voters" and "viewers", QueenL, but I think I do now. I know there's a subset of "voters" that includes "power voters" but I more or less was thinking of regular (casual) voters and viewers as equivalent.

In any case, I thought Derek was strong in all three categories, the non-voting viewers (whom you say the show is aiming to please, and I see that, now that you point it out, because they often blatantly over-ride the fan-vote by gimmicks such as Chelsea's 15-point bonus dance, dance duels, marathons, etc.); the casual voters (who I assumed were a larger percentage than perhaps I should have); and Internet-active and/or "power voters."

Anyway, when Maria was irrationally and misleadingly over-praised, received the highest scores, and was so elated in the semi-finals, I expected her to sail on through, due to those factors plus Derek's support in every category of fan. But she didn't, and I was stunned. Derek wasn't surprised, by the way, as he told Maria he thought they'd go home when they did. It almost renews my faith in the "voting" viewers (the ones I think of as "casual" voters as opposed to the "power voters") who saw the defects in her dances despite the raves of the judges and them placing her at the top of the leader board (not to mention Derek's usual sleight of hand in making the dance a spectacle but hiding a multitude of flaws in his partner.)

It is significant that each semi-final contestant was only separated by one measly vote, but even so, I figured Derek's drawing power alone would be plenty to take the top-of-the-leaderboard girl, who'd just been praised to high heaven, to the finals. And it wasn't. Now had it been Mark, I wouldn't have been surprised at all, because I never assumed he had the three types of fans covered, due to his surprises with several previous contestants - Sabrina, Shannen, Chelsea, Kristin and even Kim Kardashian I would have figured would have been worth a bit more time. But I see what you're saying and even with Derek: they wouldn't prop his partners either so soon and so much if he did have all types of fans behind him.

I was also surprised when Maks didn't do better with Denise Richards, just based on his own star power and her being at least young and beautiful, despite a lousy dancer. He didn't even keep her in the contest longer than Holly Madison, who was hardly any better and had the first-time unknown Dmitry as her partner.

But anyway, I get what you're saying now. I wonder how long this show will focus on 3 major male stars - Derek, Mark, Maks. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been a pretty close follower of the British version Strictly and I don't think they've ever had "stars" like this that they catered to, worked to give the best partners to and then propped them to the finals - or at least, made an effort if there was anyway possible to get them there, doing whatever they needed to to overcome the fanvote. And they've been amazingly popular anyway - with a higher percentage of viewership than America has ever approached (10 million viewers out of a UK population of 60 million - we get what, 16 to 18 million out of 300 million?)

I'll be very interested to see if this continues - and also if any of the three bail, for whatever reason, and how that impacts the show's modus operandi.

Edited by Elsa, May 22, 2012 @ 2:01 AM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

I was also surprised when Maks didn't do better with Denise Richards, just based on his own star power and her being at least young and beautiful, despite a lousy dancer. He didn't even keep her in the contest longer than Holly Madison, who was hardly any better and had the first-time unknown Dmitry as her partner.

I think Denise was a bit of tabloid fodder. I remember cringing when I heard she'd be on that season. And I also think Maks's popularity back then wasn't as high as it is now, nor did he have such a big fan base who were willing to stay up all night power voting. Plus, he really hadn't been around for the past two seasons with taking off and MMT getting hurt for viewers to be as connected to him to keep a lousy dancer around. And Denise was lousy.

I think he suffered the same fate the next season with Debi too, but really saw his popularity soar back up when he was paired with Erin. Since then, it's been pretty smooth sailing for him as far as going far into the competition. In some cases, much farther than he should.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

That's interesting about the variability factor with Maks' popularity. I guess I would have assumed it would be stable after Mel B. But if it dipped substantially, then he was very lucky to have both Erin and especially Kirstie. I agree that Hope went WAY past her due date - and Melissa as well, though maybe they were slightly propped - not to the extent of the golden boys, but to some. In Week 8, they had a "Jive" insta-dance. Now obviously that favored Hope a helluva lot more than it favored Nancy Grace - but I won't argue that Nancy was a better dancer than Hope but I might argue they were both pretty bad, and somehow sailed past Elisabetta, Kristin, and Chynna. I know some of that was their own popularity but I like to think Maks and Tristan played a role, and not just with "power voters", but hey, it's not up to me. The producers know who and what they want and they probably don't pay any attention to votes or Internet attention.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

That's interesting about the variability factor with Maks' popularity. I guess I would have assumed it would be stable after Mel B. But if it dipped substantially, then he was very lucky to have both Erin and especially Kirstie.

I'm not saying it dipped. I just meant that after Mel B he took a season off and then was out very early with MMT because of her injury. Then had two lousy partners in a row. I don't think he was nearly as popular then nor had such a large voting fan base as he does now.

And I also think Kirstie Alley is the biggest example of Maks going much farther info the competition than he should have. That woman shouldn't have been anywhere near the finals, let alone coming in second.

Edited by toonces464, May 22, 2012 @ 10:08 AM.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Is it conceivable that TPTB may 'nudge' Gentleman Donald to 'let' SYT-damsel-in-distress-in-a-foreign-land Katherine win? (Also gifting MB with his 3rd MBT at long last???)

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Unless there is a drastic, drastic, difference in the scores tonight, statistically there won't be much difference. If, say, Katherine gets 30 and Donald gets 27, and you add that to last night's scores, that's still gonna be only a 1.5% difference in the audience vote that he would have to make up. Which is 15,000 votes for every one million cast.

So while it's possible for that to tip it over the edge, it's not likely, and if it did, it would mean that Katherine was still getting an enormous amount of fan vote support. As much as people would complain about it, it would still mean that Katherine has a pretty large backing as is.

I wonder, though...if the show wants as much control as people suspect, why not just go back to the old scoring system? When it was literally 50% audience vote and 50% judges vote, the show had much more control. It's much harder to overcome judges scores when they account for literally 50% of the result. It's much easier to do that now, though, with the scoring system the way it is. The judges votes are much less statistically important in the new scoring system.

Edited by QueenL, May 22, 2012 @ 6:58 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

I wonder, though...if the show wants as much control as people suspect, why not just go back to the old scoring system? When it was literally 50% audience vote and 50% judges vote, the show had much more control. It's much harder to overcome judges scores when they account for literally 50% of the result. It's much easier to do that now, though, with the scoring system the way it is. The judges votes are much less statistically important in the new scoring system.

I don't understand this - what change? Is it not still half-and-half? When did they ever change the scoring system?

Edited by Twickenham, May 23, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Others who were really versed in the old scoring system can probably explain it better, but basically, the judges got 50%, and the audience got 50%. So say they give one contestant a 30, and another a 27.

30 / 50 = 60%
27 / 50 = 54%

Which means that the 27 point scorer would have to get 6% more of the audience vote than the 30 point scorer.

Now, however, under the newer system, they total up all of the scores given that night, and divide the score that each contestant got by the overall points given out that night.

So now it'd be:
30 / 57 = 52.63%

27/ 57 = 47.37%

Which means that the 27 point scorer would have to get 5.26% more of the audience vote than the 30 point scorer.

It gives the audience more power. It's more subtle when there's only two people, but now add more people. Again, remember that you have to divide each contestant's scores by the overall points given out. Let's say it's three contestants now, and the third one also gets a 27.

30/ 84 = 35.71%

27/ 84 = 32.14%

27 / 84 = 32.14%

The two 27 point scorers would only need 3.57% more of the audience vote to beat the 30 point scorer. Under the old system, they would have had to get 6% more of the audience vote.

Again, those were are more versed in the old system can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that that's correct.

When the announcers use shorthand like the "judges scores make up half of the story, and the audience the other half"...it's exactly that. Shorthand. The scoring system is much more complicated than that now, and it's explained on the website. It's based on overall scores handed out that night.

My point is, why did they change the scoring system to give the audience more power? It doesn't match up with TPTB's usual shenanigans. My guess is that back then, they were more pleased with how things were going as far as votes were concerned. I doubt they'd ever have made that change today. In fact, I think that they should go back to the old system. Would help lessen the need for the blatant manipulative things they do now.

Btw, Elsa, I will probably respond to your post soon, when I can articulate my thoughts better.

Edited by QueenL, May 23, 2012 @ 4:25 PM.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

My understanding is that there has always been a 50/50 spit between judges and the audience vote. What changed was that they elminiated rankings. It used to be that at the end of the night they would take the judges scores and put everything into rankings and then do the same with the popular vote. Each would be weighted 50/50. Now it's percentages for both the judges and the viewer vote.

Under the old system, if you had the lowest score it didn't matter if that score was a 24 or 15, it counted the same way in the rankings. Now, it makes a huge difference what the points are and not just where you fall in the rankings.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

But then wouldn't there naturally be a huge spread between 1st and 4th place if they're going into the 50% pot? I'd think that that would make the ground even bigger to overcome.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, QueenL. Like I said, I think it's always been 50/50 between judges and fan votes. I think what you're getting at is the old system would make it very hard for the couple in first to leave, although I think Willa left when she was ranked at or near the top with the judges. I do think though that the old system gave the tie to the couple that won the viewer votes. My point was that the point spread didn't use to matter, it was all about the rank. Now, it matters how far apart the couples are because it's percentage based.

I'm not sure how to really explain it susinctly. I think Strictly Come Dancing still ranks the couples, so somebody might be able to explain that system better than I can.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

They changed the old system after people complained about Stacy Keibler placing 3rd. Under the new system it would have been impossible for Jerry  to place 2nd. Stacy still would have placed 2nd though. 

According to wiki the final scores were. 

Drew - 87
Jerry - 80
Stacy- 86

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Double Post

Edited by DotsAndStripes, May 23, 2012 @ 5:24 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Ok, so basically it only ensured that #1 would not be eliminated before the finals.

I still think that TPTB could tinker with the voting system more, to tilt it more toward their benefit. The way I thought that it used to work is a way to give the judges/show more power. And it's probably smarter, since they then wouldn't have to do more blatant things. I am surprised that they don't just change the voting system. Most people don't really pay attention to how exactly it works anyway.

Btw, Elsa, I will probably respond to your post soon, when I can articulate my thoughts better.

I'll do it now, since someone in the General Gabbery thread literally just touched on the exact stuff I was going to say here. It's like they're psychic:

She did well technically etc. Vote-wise, one has to suspect that was where she was lacking. 'America' may have fallen in love her but maybe not her ballroom prince? Frankly, how many here on TWOP did NOT vote for her because of MB? Extrapolate that to the rest of the viewing audience .....

I think that people saying that they won't vote for a celeb because of who their pro is, is exactly why TPTB do not concern themselves with what voters say, because they don't feel that that's generally a thought of the overall viewing audience. I don't think that you can extrapolate that stuff to the rest of the viewing audience, just as I don't think that you can apply many more messageboard type thoughts to the overall viewing audience. Most people do not pay that close attention to the show. They do not typically know how many mirror balls each pros has, and when you mention a past partner, it sometimes takes them awhile to remember who was with who, I find. This is exactly what I mean. And like I said, I find that the heated feelings against contestants amongst casual viewers is nowhere near what it is amongst more hardcore, online, types, and so with the pros, that's even less the case.

They know that overall viewers don't get into the minutiae of things like this. They just watch for an hour or two to have a good time and pass the time, and then tune out until next week. This is the audience TPTB is trying to keep, and this is who everything they do is aimed at, because they make up the vast majority of the viewership.

TPTB's thinking is that if you're already invested enough to vote (especially online, which is a PITA with registration), and especially if you're invested enough to post on an mb, you're already not as representative of the typical audience that they are aiming to keep. Plus, they figure that you're already invested. They are more interested in keeping around those who just watch for what they consider the fun and entertainment of it all, and who don't really get into all of the positive and negative dissection that we do.

There is more than an element of truth that if TPTB were not more about promoting MB as another 3-trophy winner, but were really concerned about launching Katherine J in the US of A, they would have partnered her with eiher who was trending aka Tristan or the pros with the ultimate fans aka Maks and Derek.

I don't think that they're interested in either of those things. What I think that they're interested in more than anything is putting on a good show. Which is why they put ringer-y types with Mark. They want watchable, impactful routines, that will keep the casual audience interested. The casual audience who watches just to be entertained by some good, fun, routines, and who know nothing about who lifted who over their heads when they won, because they can't even remember everyone who won the damn trophy.

For all of the conspiracies, I think it's really as simple as that. And that's why TPTB does what it does, IMO!