The Grassy Knoll: DWTS Conspiracy Theories

• Please log in to reply

2366 replies to this topic

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Wow. Nice Grassy Knoll tidbit, CocooNut. I had assumed this was so, but you know what is said about one who assumes. Would love to know more about what goes on at the real show.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

For instance, before William Levy's dance, we were instructed to be up on our feet and really get into his salsa (something I didn't need prompting for). I don't recall anyone asking us to get excited about Melissa Gilbert Brinkman Boxleitner.

That's just so....wrong. Ugh, I hate the manipulation on this show. The best parts of DWTS have always been the pure, organic moments (Kyle and Lacey's InstaDance Jive, Maks wearing a huge scarf on his face because Mel had a cold) or an unpimped couple gaining momentum as the show goes along (Cheryl and Gilles). Why can't they just let the show play out naturally?

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

how do we know for certain that they don't tape the Monday competition show and Tuesday results show on the same day? Why would the competitors need to wear the same costumes the second night? How can every wrinkle of clothing, every strand of hair, every smear of make-up, and every bead of sweat be EXACTLY the same the second night?

They're not exact. Many times I've seen the pro females w/ different hair styles, because they're performing in a group number on results night. Same thing with costumes, but to a lesser extent. Also, Brooke's hair & clothing is completely different. Considering the hair she wore on Monday night, & the 180 difference of Tuesday's style, it would've taken HOURS to change her hairstyle. No way would they wait all of that time to tape another show at midnight. And, as someone else said, many times comments are made on the results show about what happened after the show & on the day of the results show itself, such as injuries, stuff in the press, etc.

As far as our votes being counted- I'm starting to wonder myself. I never believed that the judging was fixed, but it's so blatant this season, I now think that it is definitely predetermined.

danceteach

danceteach

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

We might see actual accurate scoring for some and low scores on purpose for others to get them in bottom 2 to et them off the show now :(

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Absolutely, danceteach - I think we'll see scoring to position the people where they want them - in or out of B2, etc. I do sort of wish DWTS was decided solely on viewers' votes and the judges merely gave critiques, like on Idol or SYTYCD - or at least I think those shows do that - I haven't watched many episodes of either.

But then, we'd get a lot of winners who clearly weren't the best. But haven't we had that anyway? All that said, they'll manipulate one way (dance-off) or they'll do it another (15 point bonus dance for Chelsea Kane.) I'm sure they have many schemes to get the result they want, when the public don't cooperate.

ETA: I moved this here from Gladys' thread because it didn't belong there and it's grassy knollery stuff - my favorite DWTS subject I guess:

I think the dance-off is probably more about them not being sure that Katherine (or another pre-determined finalist) will make the finals if they don't intervene. I'm sure they'll work to keep her out of the bottom, assuming she even has vote problems. It would shock me if William was the one they were worried about, but hey, I guess it's possible. Even Maria might be iffy, for all I know, and having Derek in the finals is a major concern for them, imo. I think they believe he brings very flashy choreography which is important to the final. (Not saying the others don't or couldn't - I just think that's what they believe.)

Maybe they believe the same for Mark, despite his clear issues with keeping fairly-good competitors in the contest (Sabrina, Kristin, Shannen, the 15 points needed for Chelsea.) Hey, maybe it's Mark that made them decide on the dance-off after the Chelsea mess - and the very early ouster with Kristin. Hmmm. Maybe it's him they're determined to have in the finals because despite their complaints, they love his often jaw dropping choreography. It may be annoying - he may be too self-centered with it - but it "pops" and garners attention, and I guess that's what reality shows are all about. Certainly NOT about being sincere, lol.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

SCD in England tapes their results show right after the live show on Sat. The results show is aired Sunday night. I've gotten spoilers on twitter on Sat night about the eliminated celebrity. This last season I got the results early nearly every episode.

I think their voting ends at the end of the live show. That's why they can tape the results afterward.It works out a lot better because the celebrities can rehearse the next day.

Dwts wastes the results day and the rehearsals don't start until Wed.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:30 AM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

SCD in England tapes their results show right after the live show on Sat.

Any voting-reality show in the UK is in a totally different situation than those in the US, because you're only dealing with one time zone - so the vote can take place during a much smaller window of time. I remember a few years ago being in London for the second series of Pop Idol, and they had the performance show and results on the same night - main show, 30-minute voting window where they showed another show, then 30-minute results show. You could never do that in the US, because you've got a 5-hour difference between the East Coast and Hawaii.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Absolutely, danceteach - I think we'll see scoring to position the people where they want them - in or out of B2, etc. I do sort of wish DWTS was decided solely on viewers' votes and the judges merely gave critiques, like on Idol or SYTYCD - or at least I think those shows do that - I haven't watched many episodes of either.

But then, we'd get a lot of winners who clearly weren't the best. But haven't we had that anyway? All that said, they'll manipulate one way (dance-off) or they'll do it another (15 point bonus dance for Chelsea Kane.) I'm sure they have many schemes to get the result they want, when the public don't cooperate.

Here are my thoughts on DWTS and scoring: Scores do not really matter. There, I said it. I quit voting on a regular basis a few seasons ago because it just seemed so pointless. TPTB put who they want in the positions that they want them in. The judges are a facade. Len is the only one who ever gives a real critique and there is usually so much booing from the audience and either groveling or arguing from the pros that what he says makes no impact on anyone. CAI is a total Abdul-tool. "Oh lolz I'm taking notes and even though I was staring at my notie-book for 90% of your routine I totally noticed that AWESOME part. You know, that ONE part where you did that THING???!!! OMG you is the best dancah evah!!!"

Then add Bruno and his wild arm swings and shrill OTT commentary on the physiques of the more attractive men...yeah, it's a freaking joke. I don't think that Idol is determined by public vote either. The judges get one save a season and their save cancels out America's vote. Also, there have been a few instances where people who were clearly talented went home early (see Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and others that I don't remember) and talentless asshats received manipulated victories (Kris Allen) over them.

DWTS is probably more scripted than any other competitive reality show, imo. For one thing, they are dealing with celebrities who have some actual power in the process. Celebrities have to be cast in a good light or at least in not-too-bad light. Yeah, they can play up someone's bad boy/girl status or certain details of their personal lives...but there is a line. Wannabe hopefuls lining up for AI, SYTYCD and other talent based reality shows don't have that kind of power. They don't have legal teams and agents to defend and protect their names, pasts and most of all, their pride.

For the sake of argument, take a look at season 11. Who really gave a rip about Jennifer Grey? She was nice, a good dancer and a hard worker. I'll give her all that. But who cared about what happened to Baby after someone backed her into a corner 20+ years ago?? Not many, I assure you. Yet somehow...she and Golden Boy captured the trophy that season. Same goes for Nicole in season 10. No one really knew who she was. She was hot and young and she could dance...however, if it were really based on viewer votes, I think Evan would have won that season. But no...there is a story line and that story line demanded that Derek win in order to further their agenda.

It's same agenda that drives Cheryl to deliver those cheesy "I'm out to win" speeches in her opening interviews every season. It's a script. The same script that casts Mark as Spatty the Crotch-grabbing Brat, Julianne and the Derek as the Golden Children of Ballroom Dancing, Chelsea and Lacey as sexy young upstarts, Tristan as the token hottie, Maks and Val as the bad boys, Kym as the Thunder from Down Under, Anna as the Nice Russian, Karina as the Hottie with a Body, Cheryl as the Tough girl, and now featuring Peta as the robotic stripper from plant Ballroomia.

As the seasons go on, we've seen that our votes are pretty much meaningless. TPTB do what the want and we watch because the show is fun and sometimes interesting. I watch because I heart Tom Bergeron.

As far as schemes go...yeah, I've not forgotten the 15 bonus points for Spatty and the Disney Princess. I don't want to imagine what they had to do to Kirstie into the top 3. *shudder*. Or Kelly Osburne for that matter.

Another thing that I've noticed is that black women just don't do well on this show. Ever. Mel B was robbed. Brandy was screwed. Mya screwed herself more or less by being a total ice queen. Although, TPTB did screw her a bit by giving her a relatively unknown partner in a tough season. So I wasn't shocked to Sherri go and as much as I love Gladys, I know she'll be gone in a week or two. Melissa is being given the comeback kid edit plus she's paired with Maks so that has bought her some time. Melissa and Gladys are in my bottom two and have been since week 2. Gladys has Tristan but really, this season is a tough bunch. Last season, Gladys could have coasted to top 6 or even top 4 with minimal dancing and her natural class. But this season...well, I'm kind of expecting some RuPaul's Drag Race-esque shenanigans during the dance-offs. Anything to get some attention, right?

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

auntie thesis

Peta as the robotic stripper from plant Ballroomia

Brilliance. Pure brilliance.

Topic? Nope, votes don't count, especially now that they've got the Dance Duel thing going (please, show, be more transparent!)

I learned long ago -- "Ruben beats Clay" long ago -- to not get too invested in who wins or loses these things. I watch for fun. The celebs rarely interest me one way or the other, unless someone unexpected is showing some real ability and growth, like Apolo. The only pros who interest me on their own are Karina, for her awesome talent, and Tristan, for his awesome Tristanness. I hope they both have long, visible careers after DWTS bites the dust.

Edited by designing1, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:28 PM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

That's such a brilliant post, auntie thesis, every word of it. But I still vote - I think they at least LOOK at the numbers and factor them in. A little. Maybe. Remember when they had a four-way tie for Design a Dance? Yeah right. Well, if they didn't look at the vote tallies at all, then why the need for so much manipulation? So I think they do factor them in - but do everything under the sun to get the pre-arranged result (like that dastardly 15 bonus point thing, good grief!! Interesting they didn't bother with Kristin - propping is a tiring operation, I'm sure, and they were so busy with Ricki and Hope.)

Anyway, I have the same two favorite pros, designing1! If/when Tristan and Karina are out, I'm done watching this over-engineered fake mess. Oh I'll record in case either one of them shows up in a pro number, but this season, I can't bear to watch their pre-determined finalists from before the season started take their fricking places so I can cheer Derek and/or Marky on to yet another pre-arranged glitterball. I guess it's Marky's turn to "catch up" to the other anointed one. Well, I have to watch some of the last show because Tristan Gladys Karina Gavin will be back but thank God for the FF button.

I just read an article that Len's new persona is Simon Cowell. Maybe that explains Gladys' to-me inexplicable 5 for her lovely quickstep. I don't think I'll ever get over that!! They're turning him into the "villain" of the judges - in England, it's the one on the end named Craig. New scripting scheme for Len, I guess. And years ago, I heard they encourage people to BOO the judges as much as possible, probably on some kind of pre-determined signal. Then I read the post by the lady who said she was at the taping and they were INSTRUCTED to stand up and start screaming before Willy's salsa. Yes, we're being "had."

But watching the divine Tristan and amazing Karina (and like you said, auntie, the fabulous Tom Bergeron - though I think his contract calls for an idiot as co-hostess), is worth it. But if Tristan doesn't come back, I'm boycotting like I did when they ousted Alec after Season 1.

BTW, what about Tom's SHOCKING ELIMINATION tweet. The second woman from the bottom, only 1 point ahead of the lowest score, is ousted. And yes, a black woman standing in the B2 with a hip-hoppy young black kid? Color me shocked, except not. THAT is shocking?? On what planet? The Planet Ballroomia, DWTS style, where nothing is what it seems. Ever. And Strictly's just as bad.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:38 PM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I was listening to the "Bob and Tom" show on the radio yesterday. Kevin Pollack was the guest. They got talking about reality shows and the comment was made that EVERY reality show is scripted and many of their comedian friends (and they know everyone in the business, they have two or three different comedians on their show every day of the week) have been hired to write copy for the reality stars. They talked specifically about Jersey Shore, but I have no doubt that DWTS has writers on staff to create dialogue for all three judges. That could be what CAI is always looking at ... she's not making notes, she's studying her lines for that dancer's critique.

I've always wondered where the voters' scores are, who counts 'em, where they are posted. Are they even counted at all? Or are they just another manipulation to get people tuned in and create media buzz. "Master P survives yet.ANOTHER! week!" and "Bristol Palin in.the.FINALS!" and so forth. It's unusual when I don't turn the channel during judge comments, it's all such hot air.

danceteach

danceteach

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Maybe Sherri fans thought she'd be safe because she's on The View and wasn't on the bottom; perhaps Val's fans helped Melissa thinking she & Maks would get the boot because people might have thought, "Oh she's hurt, I'm not gonna waste my vote", so they voted for her instead. I'm not sure the "back & forth" overnight according to Tom was between Sherri & Roshon, rather that SOMEONE, be it Gavin, Melissa, or Gladys had fans rally to push their favorite out of the bottom two---thereby sinking Sherri & Roshon into it.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

It happens quite often, don't you think, that fans feel a celeb is safe? And then they don't vote for that person. I know I felt that way when Pamela Anderson was dancing with Louis. She was SO good - then boom, she was gone.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Okay, I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this occurred to me as I was trying to figure out why Derek and Maria got the encore dance. I didn't find it particularly entertaining (I did think it was kind of gross) and while I thought it was overscored, it didn't get the highest scores. So why the encore? Could it be that voting closed for choosing the pro dancers for design a dance last night, and someone was trying to score Derek some last-minute votes? I could be way off base but with all the manipulation that goes on with this show, who knows?

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Avecsans, I think the reason for the D/M encore was pretty simple. "The kiss" video clip got lots of air time on talk shows. To redo the dance with the judges (I know: ewwww) getting the kisses would make for more promo clips and more talking about the show. I think the whole thing was producer-driven. In fact, Derek might have been told to put the kiss into his original dance so all those video clips would happen in the first place.

ETA: I believe Jaleel was the bottom one last night and would have gone home if not for the fake-o fakery of the dance-off. His appearance on The View this morning was pure damage control to coat over both his fight with Kym and his being hauled into court by his ex. He would have had to fly out of LA on a red eye to appear in NYC this morning. I guess maybe he can cry about THAT next week, like he cried this week about having to get to the studio SO EARLY (what was it, like 8:30 a.m.?) to practice his cha cha.

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:28 PM.

danceteach

danceteach

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Supposedly he & Kym took red eye with the ousted couple.

Truckhorse

Truckhorse

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

That could be what CAI is always looking at ... she's not making notes, she's studying her lines for that dancer's critique.

I doubt that professional writers are doing Carrie-Ann's lines, or Len's, or Bruno's. Nearly all of what they say is critique, which would be very hard for a comedian to write, and more than that it's critique of a dance that was performed live, which would be nearly impossible to write in advance (unless you postulate it's all rigged). Plus, I think if professional writers were doing Carrie-Ann's lines, they'd have more snap. I like Carrie-Ann, but her comments tend toward the inarticulate: "It was kinda ... I wanted more ... I felt you were holding back ... I was like (makes face)."

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

That's why there's a dress rehearsal - and the production team sees the "camera blocking" on Sunday, even before the dress rehearsal. They also get practice videos throughout the week, I guess.

I think immediately after the dress rehearsal, they sit around a table and plan what's to be said. There has to be a little bit of leeway - if someone falls down or whatever. They probably have Scenario 1 (what they'll say if the dance goes smoothly) - Scenario 2 (major difference) - and so on.

And it's "loose" - not tightly scripted - because otherwise it would be clear there was an explicit script. But nobody will convince me otherwise. They already have comments and scores in mind before the "real" dance on the night.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

They already have comments and scores in mind before the "real" dance on the night.

Absolutely. When some dancers goofed on a previous season, one of the judges (CAI?) said how rehearsal was perfect and it was sad the live dance wasn't as good. I am positive judges have those "clever" comments (Len: "More of a shamba than a samba"; Bruno: "Can I join in?" CAI: All "I'm so hot watching you" statements) written ahead of time, whether by them or by professional writers.

I don't know what else those papers/booklets would be they all have unless it's the proposed dance steps followed by their written critiques. But why is CAI always writing stuff? I can watch a one-minute dance and remember everything I just saw. She's so busy writing that she can't be seeing the dance.

Of course, she's already seen it and scored it so no big deal I guess.

I'd say the high scores William got the night he totally missed his swinging-Cheryl-through-his-legs moves were already determined and the stars' standings had already been figured out by TPTB well before the live show we got to see. Well, William and every other star who got graded higher -- or lower -- than we viewers would have scored them.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I've also noticed sometimes when Len has repeated an exact phrase on this version and on the UK'S SCD:

He told Chynna Phillips on her first dance : "It wasn't the best first dance, but it was close"

He then told Holly Valance the same exact thing on her first dance a few weeks later. I don't think Len is aware that some Americans keep up with that version.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Absolutely. When some dancers goofed on a previous season, one of the judges (CAI?) said how rehearsal was perfect and it was sad the live dance wasn't as good. I am positive judges have those "clever" comments (Len: "More of a shamba than a samba"; ... written ahead of time, whether by them or by professional writers.

I recall Len saying to one of the skaters--possibly Evan--something like "I knew you were nice on ice, but I wasn't sure if you would be good on wood." That was obviously pre-written. He makes pun-like comments often too that scream 'pre-written' to me. CAI I think has more a set of stock comments, especially when a dance wasn't that well done she has things she will often say about contestants' appearance or personality to soften the blow.

I can't remember who it was but a few seasons ago someone hurt their ankle pretty badly during rehearsal and was unable to actually perform during the live show. They had to judge based on what they had seen at rehearsal. So obviously, they are going into the performance with a pre-conceived idea of how well (or not)someone will do. When they do inexplicable things like the '5' Gladys got on her quickstep, or the '8' William got on his jive/mess it makes me suspect that they had already decided a mark range for that star before they ever perform live and may be unwilling to let go of it, for better or for worse. Maybe that's why they gave Bruno the funny looks when he gave Gavin's samba a 7 instead of a 6, like the other two. Maybe they had already kind of agreed on 6's and on second viewing Bruno decided it wasn'tthat bad and actually changed his mind?

Edited by MadameL, Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:31 PM.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

CAI has something in that notebook. It can't be only critique because how could she watch the dance AND write in her notebook? Right, she can't. She's been judging the show for 14 seasons now...so she knows what a good dance looks like and the elements that must be in each dance. She doesn't need beginners notes anymore.

I believe that the judges base their scores on rehearsal dances and not solely upon the live dance. That is why there is such a discrepancy between scores. We see a dance like William's jive and we're like "Whoa! Inflate the scores much??" Obviously, they did well in rehearsal and probably knocked it out of the park. They didn't deliver live due to timing issues and the failed swing thing. The high scores they received for that crap routine were only possibly if the judges weren't basing their scores solely upon the live dance, in my opinion.

I also believe that some dancers are down-scored based on rehearsal footage. Sometimes you'll see a really good dance that is deserving of high scores...and that couple will be in the middle of the pack. It doesn't make sense and you scratch your head. Maybe they didn't do so hot in rehearsal?? Eh it's a theory.

CAI's notes are more likely than not rehearsal notes. Her likes, dislikes, and commentary on what mistakes to look for. I know the show is scripted but I remain doubtful that each and every one liner is carefully crafted by a staffer somewhere. Some of them are organic...but not all of them. I can't see CAI fawning over the same guy like a teenage girl at prom after watching him dance, say, 3900 times (Golden Boy in particular, Maks and Val on occasion, Tristan every once in awhile). That part is faked and horribly so.

Maybe that's why they gave Bruno the funny looks when he gave Gavin's samba a 7 instead of a 6, like the other two. Maybe they had already kind of agreed on 6's and on second viewing Bruno decided it wasn't that bad and actually changed his mind?

They probably do agree on a scoring range ahead of time. This part is more controlled by storyboards than any other part, imo. I think that the judges are basically told how they are to rank couples. Golden Boy = Top. Spatty = Somewhere near top unless is partner is a fugly nobody (Kristin). Disney kids = Top 4 at all costs. Obvious Fan Favorites = Keep them around, don't undercut them unless they eff up REALLY bad.

Last season was a prime example of score ranges and star propping. Ricki Lake sucked. Solidly and completely sucked. Yet she was partnered with Golden Boy and somehow made it to the finals even though she could barely breathe in most of the dresses they put her in. WTF? And she was consistently near the top, if not at the top...if JR hadn't been such a fan favorite, I have no doubts that she would not have won. I call shenanigans and say that they were propping her scores all along.

Then there were the 15 magical mystery points that put Chelsea Kane in the finals. Gag. Gag. GAG. If that's not score propping and padding...sheer manipulation, then what is? TPTB had to manipulate it because for whatever reason (probably because Len was riding Mark's ass that season and refused go along with the plan), their Disney kid wasn't going to make top 4. SHOCK!!! HORROR! NOOOOO! We can't let Sabrina Bryan happen again!!!

Now we have the dance off or whatever it's called. More shenanigans. We know the bottom 2, but now the judges get to decide who stays and who goes. They get the final say. And we all know their final say will always be the couple that TPTB want gone.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Ricki Lake sucked. Solidly and completely sucked. Yet she was partnered with Golden Boy and somehow made it to the finals even though she could barely breathe in most of the dresses they put her in. WTF?

I don't know if I'll ever figure out the total WTF-ness of the praise Ricki got for her jive when I don't think I saw her kick 3 times. Maybe rehearsal had some actual kicks that were more than six inches off the ground.

And Len apologizing to Donald for underscoring him a few weeks back (for his Quickstep?)--it makes sense to me that an athlete would wait until the real competition to give it their all. Maybe the live performance dance was truly superior to what they saw at rehearsal--to the point where Len realized that it made him look bad to have underscored it the way he did?

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:54 AM

I've also noticed sometimes when Len has repeated an exact phrase on this version and on the UK'S SCD:

He told Chynna Phillips on her first dance : "It wasn't the best first dance, but it was close"

I would never have thought that I remember any of Len's lines until I heard them again. What else comes to my mind:

"You put the 'boy' in flamboyant" to Carson Kressley on DWTS and Russell Grant on SCD;
"You can't win (SCD or DWTS) on Week 1, but you can make a great first impression. And that's what you did" to Pamela Stephenson on SCD and *someone* on DWTS, can't remember whom;
and when both versions had the Halloween week last fall, his signature line was "Lots of tricks and lots of treats" - he said to David Arquette on DWTS and Lulu on SCD.

That's all I can recall now, but I'm sure there's much more of them.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

auntie thesis, I just want to say that your analysis of DWTS shenanigans are genius - thanks for taking the time to write them. And may I add to this statement:

Now we have the dance off or whatever it's called.

Someone in the general show thread posted that Donald said the marathon will take place on the Tuesday results show. If this is correct, that gives the judges another opportunity to fix the results. It's absolutely maddening and all these fixes are sucking the joy out of the show for me. DWTS has lost its sense of humor and fun over the last few seasons and they are losing me as a devoted viewer. Of course, the lackluster cast this season hasn't helped much either.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

"You can't win (SCD or DWTS) on Week 1, but you can make a great first impression. And that's what you did" to Pamela Stephenson on SCD and *someone* on DWTS, can't remember whom;

He said it to Brandy and Maks after their first dance on season 11.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

He said it to Brandy and Maks after their first dance on season 11.

Right! Thanks, PBGamer89. Some other lines just came to my mind: "Tutti frutti, what a booty" and "It was all sizzle and no sausage" which I think I heard more than once, but can't remember when exactly.

The most obvious example of having pre-written lines was Jennifer Grey who guest-judged on SCD last season. Before the show, I was actually excited to see her and thought she would give the contestants some useful advice, given that she had competed on the show herself, but boy oh boy did she prove me wrong. She literally read whole sentences aloud from her notebook, sometimes without even looking at the couple she was praising at the moment. Plus, she tried to copy Len's manner of saying 'seven'. Enough said.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

There is nothing anyone could say that would convince me Gavin had the lowest number of votes from the audience. Now do I believe he was a better dancer than Jaleel? No of course not. But I'd still rather watch Gavin than Jaleel (Jaleel just creeps me out for some reason).

I really hate the wtfuckery of this whole dance off thing. I know every single season there are dancers who hang around a lot longer than they should. I know too that sometimes better dancers get dumped earlier than they should. But no one who was a completely horrible dancer has ever won this thing. Have I been disappointed by the winner a few times? Yes, but I just mean no one awful has won the mirror ball (at least I don't think so).

Why can't the producers just trust the audience and keep things the way they've been as far as the eliminations? And if they want to have a way to protect a better dancer - why not do like American Idol where the judges can use one save during the season?

I believe that the judges base their scores on rehearsal dances and not solely upon the live dance.

Completely agree. The judges scores are a mess most of the time.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

The hell? William and Cheryl were the next-to-last in that dance-off thing? He was TERRIBLE. He can't dance. He can move his hips a little bit - but even Jaleel and Melissa were better than him. What a crock.

Who is sponsoring William? Does he work for ABC? He is getting such great marks from the judges too. It just doesn't make sense.

Robinhood

Robinhood

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Is it me or are the judges "Ralfing" Rashon? The kid danced better than several of the others and much better than Levi in the final dance and they send him off that soon? I don't buy it for a second. I have never seen him before but the kid is good. He deserves better treatment and better scores.