3-6: "Our Other Cops Is On!" 2007.11.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 6:13 PM

From Zap2it:

While enjoying TV time in prison, Earl and Randy see that "Cops'' is filming in Camden County; Kenny, featured in the "Cops'' episode riding along with an officer, shows resentment toward Earl.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:02 PM

OMG. CROTCH VISION. I AM GOING TO DIE!

Aww, look at the little lamb's tail go! And.....now it's over.

What's more American then appliances and obese women?

I am the queen! You are the worker bee! Your job is to feed me, do me, then DIE!

It doesn't even make sandwiches! It just decorates them! What's next, you gonna buy a dress for a watermelon?

Rules? There's no rules! I was supposed to be a Jeep!

Remember - Mud: it looks like peanut butter. But it's not.

Can I plea bargain? I know who kidnapped the mayor's daughter!

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:05 PM

"Tim Stack, Tim Stack, set him on fire..." That killed me, especially because of Earl doing his whole smiling, cocked-headed nod thing through it.

I loved all the satire about post-9/11 America. All the booths at the fair were awesome.

Best sequences: Crab Man's grandma, the infra-red almost-sex scene, Randy with the cotton candy on his head, the whole lamb thing, and probably a few others I can't remember.

Aw. Poor lonely Kenny.

Also, the bumper car thing was funny by itself (seeing Earl ducking to dodge the sparks cracked me up), but I loved that it paid off like it did.

Edited by ReadIshmael, Nov 1, 2007 @ 9:09 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

Cops spoofs are becoming cliche nowadays but Earl managed to produce an entertaining one tonight. Darnell's grandma and "I go to put down a rabid lamb" were wonderful. Kathy Kinney carrying the baby while on her scooter was also amusing.

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:35 PM

"What's more American than appliances and obese women?" Now that's a campaign slogan I could get behind.

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Every time this show makes me think "How on earth did they get away with that?," they top it. How on earth will they ever top Joy's crotch on infrared?

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

And then Randy and Earl's?

I have to say, though, I was a little apprehensive about another Cops show. The first one was brilliant, but this one...well, it's my least favorite of the season. I like when the show how much of schmuck Earl used to be to better illustrate how far he's come. But, to use the Cops vehicle again seemed, well, tacky. I didn't really laugh much and it seemed to take a long time to end.

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

{snip} I was deeply disappointed in the 9/11 material tonight. I don't tune in to MNIE for politics, much less leftist propaganda thinly disguised as "satire". There are enough entertainment shows with political content in them that I watch(ed) as it is (Simpsons, SNL, AD, Family Guy, and to a much lesser extent 30 Rock), including others I don't expect to be politically opinionated, like Letterman, without MNIE doing it, too. Can Hollywood allow one moment of product go out without sounding like Michael Moore writes it all anymore? I'm sure they thought they'd just piss off some right-wing yahoos and their fellow-travelors, but independents like myself get caught in the crossfire. By the way, Newsflash, MNIE: There really is an enemy trying to kill us. It's not the cold war.

And some hints about Crabman's past throughout the series have me worried as well. I really hope "whojackie" and co. have their political opining out of their system now. It sucks to have an episode of one of my favorite shows that I'll never rewatch, especially with the good bits I did like.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Nov 2, 2007 @ 1:20 AM.
Boards on boards

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

The first one was brilliant, but this one...well, it's my least favorite of the season.

You're not alone. Along with Y2K, this is one I can take or leave. But even BAD MNiE is still better than most shows :-)

I didn't really laugh much and it seemed to take a long time to end.

I'm thinking, call this one "Our Other 'Cops' is On....and on....and on....and on........" An hour was just too much.

I didn't get a good look at Kenny's parents, and I'm really not motivated enough to watch again. Did anyone catch whether his dad was still Horace from Dr. Quinn??

noisack

noisack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 10:21 PM

Kenny/Stuart 4-ever!

I wish we could get to see Mike O'Malley outside of the COPS-based episodes.

gundy

gundy

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 10:38 PM

Okay, here's something that I didn't get, and maybe it wasn't a joke, but: when the other male cop was talking about chasing Darnell's mom, he said, "My grandfather used to say, 'never get in a foot race with an old black woman'" and then the camera panned down to his nametag, which read "Hoyne", and stayed on it for a second. Felt like I was supposed to get something there, but maybe I'm dumb. Anyone know what that meant?

social skills

social skills

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 11:58 PM

Tim Stack doesn't have a car anymore. He drove it into a quarry.

Whojackie called it! Or had this been mentioned in a previous show? If so, my apologies for having missed it.

Tim Stack drunkenly singing Oklahoma! was enjoyable, as was Catalina and the "thick" pole-dancer catfighting while people threw money.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

I love the show, but they keep messing with the continuity and the timelines like a bad episode of 'Lost' everytime they do one of these pre-list episodes. I can't tell now when Crabman started dating Joy. And where are Joy's kids?

Also, Crabman's should NOT have a grandma, right? Did they gave him one in the witness protection program?

The Catalina-Stripper fight was awesome.

Everybody's junk on the heat-vision was too much.

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 12:18 AM

By the way, Newsflash, MNIE: There really is an enemy trying to kill us. It's not the cold war.

Well, we invade their country for no good reason, I can see why they'd be pissed. (Newsflash: Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.)

Anyway: I loved the political commentary of this episode, simply because it all was so right on the money: there was a period of about a year there where otherwise rational people got scared out of their minds -- hence the word "terrorism" -- and did a lot of things that in retrospect were monumentally stupid. The fact that some of them have caused us to get dragged into the single most pointless war in the history of this country for no good reason other than some dim bulb fake-Texan from New Haven has daddy issues shouldn't keep us from being able to laugh at idiocies like Osama toilet paper, a real product that I had almost forgotten about.

I love the show, but they keep messing with the continuity and the timelines like a bad episode of 'Lost' everytime they do one of these pre-list episodes. I can't tell now when Crabman started dating Joy.

Well, how old is Earl Jr.? Crabman started dating Joy at least nine months prior to that. So they certainly would have been together since before July 2002.

Edited by contrapuntal, Nov 2, 2007 @ 12:20 AM.

Kmusky

Kmusky

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 12:22 AM

I thought the episode was more on the fear mongering and ridiculousness that occurred after 9/11, not 9/11 or Iraq itself. I thought the parody was about society's reaction to 9/11, not any current actions by the administration.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 12:33 AM

The timelines don't bother me at all. Not when we get stellar lines and scenes like tonight. Darnell's grandmother was spectacular: "I said repent, you cheating white bitch!" "MJF is from Canada?" "She means a bag of nickels."

I don't find the political commentary bothersome because it's not preachy. They poke fun at situations and perspectives without judging them, instead drawing out their inherent humour.

insaneman

insaneman

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 1:03 AM

I was bored. Some funny moments. But barely enough for a half hour.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 1:13 AM

Wow. This was one dirty Earl. Not that I'm complaining -- I love when Earl gets naughty. But wow, did they get away with a LOT.

I also took the 9/11 storyline to not be about 9/11, but instead about the kind of thinking that led to stuff like Freedom Fries.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 1:21 AM

What happened after 9/11 or in Iraq isn't really on topic here unless it relates directly to the show. Please keep it about the episode. Thanks.

WicktSmaht

WicktSmaht

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 3:07 AM

I didn't get a good look at Kenny's parents, and I'm really not motivated enough to watch again. Did anyone catch whether his dad was still Horace from Dr. Quinn??

I don't know about that - all I know is that he was Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite.

Wow. This was one dirty Earl. Not that I'm complaining -- I love when Earl gets naughty. But wow, did they get away with a LOT.

Yeah - the heat sensor thing led to an interesting discussion in our house after we noticed that Randy's red zone was larger than Earl's.

Loved Tim Stack singing "Oklahoma" and the line about Hitler hating Crabman's grandma in the Olympics.

Edited by WicktSmaht, Nov 2, 2007 @ 3:08 AM.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 5:55 AM

I don't know about that - all I know is that he was Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite.

I decided to watch the beginning again anyhow -- it was indeed Frank Collison (Horace.) Uncle Rico was played by John Gries.

And I got to see Joy weed-whackin' Earl's 'stache (& other parts) again -- which I had completely forgotten! Reminding me that this ep was funny. Just went on too long.

tarragon918

tarragon918

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 6:29 AM

Yes, they got away with naughtiness again! Yes, I noticed that Randy's red zone was larger than Earl's! *laughs* Poor Crabman, he spent most of the episode either half naked or completely naked. I've decided that Crabman's "Grandma" has to be part of the witness protection program cover; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Haven't done a search on it yet, but I too am interested in who Hoyne is.

Also think that Garcia and company were more poking fun of the whole overboard reaction after 9/11; plus, it's MNiE, which we all know that Camden County is actually in some alternate universe somewhere else. (The Earlverse? :)) *laughs* Damn, though, I had been thinking that -maybe- it was meant to be Camden NJ; now that theory is all shot to hell since they accidentally got the shipment meant for Camden NJ.

I have to add here that I thought the Sikh man was an interesting addition, although his turban looked more like a hat (and did anyone notice that when Randy & Earl nearly caught Joy & Crabman in the trailer that Joy was wearing purple with a gold towel turban?!). Sikhs did suffer & even die after 9/11, from mis-identification as Muslims, unfortunately. :( Camden County is quite diverse!

Didn't you love the ending with Kenny and the cop?! Kenny looked like he was totally blissed out by the finger kiss! And now Randy has the respect of the prisoners, for what that's worth. *laughs* And finally, the logo face was a guy, who was it?!

Edited by tarragon918, Nov 2, 2007 @ 6:32 AM.

BooNasty0121

BooNasty0121

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

First time posting in this thread, but after how much I laughed my head off last night, I couldn't stay away. How much do I love Joy and her Crabman? And what about his red zone as he was hiding behind the curtains! I think my very favorite line though, the one that still has me giggling this morning was when Catalina had the baby strapped to her while she was working the pole and the guy in the audience yells out 'Take it off! Take the baby off!' That's just one of those lines that instantly makes me chuckle.

Oh, and what about at the Carnival when Stuart had the lost little boy and was asking for his parents and like 3 men held up their hands and you can hear someone say 'I'll take him!' and then he pushes him towards the guy saying 'There you go.' It's so very very wrong, kinda like the little person stuck to Patty the daytime hooker, but I laughed out loud.

I LOVE Darnell's grandma. Burning folks with a curling iron! And instead of 'kick me' stuck to Randy's back we get 'stab me'. Ha!

I think Darnell's family must have gone into the Witness Protection Program with him because they were at his and Joy's wedding in the park.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

I thought the episode was more on the fear mongering and ridiculousness that occurred after 9/11, not 9/11 or Iraq itself. I thought the parody was about society's reaction to 9/11, not any current actions by the administration.

I agree.

I thought the episode was hysterical. Hee, the waterboarding kit among the homeland security stuff sent to Camden. Poor Kevin - I hope someone got him out of the truck. I kept waiting for Nescobar-A-Lop-Lop to steal a pen but it never happened. I think someone (maybe Greg) said that Darnell probably moved his family to Camden sometime after he was moved there.

Didn't you love the ending with Kenny and the cop?!

Yeah, that was a total aww moment.

And our good friend Whojackie was on !!

Edited by M. Darcy, Nov 2, 2007 @ 8:36 AM.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 8:44 AM

Who was that guy who sang all of his lines and why is that supposed to be funny?

I liked this episode, but like recent episodes of The Office, it would have worked better as a half hour show.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 8:58 AM

The first one was brilliant, but this one...well, it's my least favorite of the season.

I'm right there with you. Had a lot of funny moments, but it seemed cobbled together. And too many scenes just dragged on after the joke was done.

Crabman's grandma was too hilarious. I thought it was also funny that they were driving that bumper car around like that. Funny callback when a drunken Tim Stack crashed the bumper car into some garbage cans, reminiscent of when he drunkenly crashed a car into some garbage cans in the first COPS ep.

And our good friend Whojackie was on !!

That was pretty funny. Not even mentioned in the Weecap! Well, he was mentioned, but not recognized as a regular TWOP poster!

Edited by Wacoshade, Nov 2, 2007 @ 8:59 AM.

WicktSmaht

WicktSmaht

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 9:16 AM

Who was that guy who sang all of his lines and why is that supposed to be funny?

I was wondering that, too. Was someone from the first year of American Idol?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

Dan Coscino.

Looks like an inside joke of some sort to me. Wasn't he in the "Free Earl" video, too, or am I just crazy?

hima22

hima22

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 9:35 AM

Whojackie was on? I really missed that - where was he?

I thought the episode had a few "too long" moments, but really, there was just so much hilarity, I got over that. I am shocked they got the infra-red sex scene in there -- it just kept getting more and more raunchy. Did anyone else find it a little too disturbing that Randy was allowed to be in the corner? And then he had a VERY LARGE (yeah, I noticed too) red patch when he turned around. Eep! A bit disturbing, but hilarious nonetheless.

And for some reason, I loved the conversation between Catalina and the "thick" stripper before they fought. Whoever the other stripper was, the way she delivered "You should NOT have explained that!" was fantastic. I want to see more of her! (In the comic sense, not the naked sense).

While the first Cops one was better (as it's always funnier the first time), this one wasn't a disappointment.

tamarai

tamarai

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2007 @ 10:07 AM

hima22, whojackie was in the fireworks scene with the one-legged woman (oops, name?) and the singing guy. He told the woman he had only one testicle, and she responded with disgust, lol.

Had a lot of funny moments, but it seemed cobbled together. And too many scenes just dragged on after the joke was done.

I agree completely, WacoShade. I kept checking the progress bar on the DVR. It felt two hours long to me, and the laughs were sorely lacking -- some "jokes" fell completely flat to me, such as the "rabid lamb" and the infrared genitalia.

But as I told mr. tamarai, one meh episode in more than two seasons is a damn good track record.