S4 - "Sweet P" (Kathleen) Vaughn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

158 replies to this topic

DuchessKitty

DuchessKitty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2007 @ 1:23 AM

Sweet P only has the little PR ad instead of an interview but she still comes off as really cool. Her favorite designers are some of my faves too. She also seems like the coolest 46-year old ever.

Could I possibly use the word "cool" any more? How very un-cool...

Edited by DuchessKitty, Oct 27, 2007 @ 11:44 AM.

KimKelly

KimKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 9:26 AM

The Bravo site says that she got her nickname while she was part of an all-female motorcycle club. That's enough to make me love her already.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 3:58 AM

I thought she had the least impressive collection on the Ready For Runway. I'd pick her for first to go.

DuchessKitty

DuchessKitty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2007 @ 8:15 PM

Her RfR collection was Betsy Johnson on qualudes. Really blah. Did you catch the look on Tim Gunn's face as her pieces went by? He smelled a fart...

Somethyme

Somethyme

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

Did you catch the look on Tim Gunn's face as her pieces went by? He smelled a fart... DuchessKitty

Hee! I'm happy someone beside me noticed that face. Poor Sweet P.

Edited by Somethyme, Nov 9, 2007 @ 8:32 PM.

shazzbutter

shazzbutter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 1:00 AM

Enough with the lame nicknames.

Lunete

Lunete

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

Does anybody know what her given name is? Because Sweet P is pretty lame, but if her parents called her Philomela or something, then there wasn't much the poor woman could do. and anyhow, I like her. she seems funky and laid-back and not so entitled as some of the others.

okay, in my own defense, the thread title was changed to include her given name after I posted this. But now I'm still stuck wondering where the "P" comes from....

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:01 PM.

Somethyme

Somethyme

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

I am guessing Kathleen?

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Nov 17, 2007 @ 11:58 AM.

singmetosleep

singmetosleep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

I was really annoyed with her at the beginning of the episode, but she grew on me by the end. That's usually a sign of doom for the contestant. Whoever I like goes, with the exception of Chloe and Daniel.

That said, I really hate the straps on that dress she made. What was she thinking?

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

• Interests:Psychiatry(doh!)<br />Knitting<br />Tv(doh!)

Posted Nov 21, 2007 @ 11:34 PM

She seemed pleasant enough by the end of the episode, but I was surprised at the amount of whining she did until she got to a point where she turned around and decided to make it work. I guess I'm just shocked that she's so intolerant, while looking the opposite on the surface.

tribbles

tribbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

I don't think she was being intolerant, just flabbergasted at how to work with Elisa, who speaks her own language and has no concept of traditional tools and methods. Any trained designer would struggle at first in trying to work with Elisa.

Rorikon

Rorikon

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 12:06 AM

I don't think she was being intolerant, just flabbergasted at how to work with Elisa, who speaks her own language and has no concept of traditional tools and methods.

I agree with this. It's not often you see someone spit on their own garment, and Elisa takes the long way around in explaining herself. I thought Sweet P was very gracious in admitting that Elisa's concept had turned into a great design.

reasontobelieve

reasontobelieve

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 11:06 AM

I thought Sweet P remained professional and fairly polite throughout the challenge. It wasn't easy for her either. I was pleased with the way both of them handled it.

I did think that for someone who has the name "Sweet P" and is covered in what I consider to be really icky tattoos, Sweet P was surprisingly judgmental about another person who isn't in the mainstream. (This is, of course, minus to her reaction to the spiting because really who wouldn't be sort of shocked? I'm laughing thinking of how Heidi "I like clean plant leaves" Klum would have reacted at that moment).

Edited by reasontobelieve, Nov 22, 2007 @ 11:07 AM.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 11:18 AM

I don't know how judgmental she was. She was just processing the utterly weird way in which Elisa works. Elisa is a nutter, and if Sweet P were truly judging her, I doubt she would have been so good humored about working with her. I actually think both women ended up accepting their differences and finding a middle ground.

At this point in the competition there are still a lot of people so I doubt anyone has anything more than the most superficial opinions of others, and someone like Elisa can become isolated because she doesn't fit into the herd. I wasn't surprised that Sweet P was apprehensive about working with Elisa. They all were, and Elisa is aware of how her communcation and work style comes off to others.

But, as we've seen on this show, a truly judgmental person *Vincent* wouldn't have even been interested in working with Elisa *Jeffrey* and pretty much ldo the minimum required not to get booted, thereby freeing up enough time to bitch. Sweet P, for all her initial apprehensions really wanted to create as beautiful a garment as she could. She didn't shut down or argue or deride Elisa.

And she said that Elisa was from a happy planet. To me that said she just didn't understand Elisa, not that she was intolerant of the person Elisa was.

Edited by vallegirl, Nov 22, 2007 @ 11:19 AM.

reasontobelieve

reasontobelieve

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

I thought Sweet P did an admirable job working with Elisa despite her understandable concerns at the beginning. Elisa was very nice to Sweet P and Sweet P responded kindly too.

I still think that she wasn't very accepting of Elisa's oddness although she came to appreciate her more. Sweet P has things about her that are very off putting as well, so I found it a bit ironic that she thought Elisa was strange. I think saying that Elisa was from another, albeit, happy planet was surprisingly and ironically judgmental because some might think Sweet P was, if not on another planet, maybe in orbit.

Samwise

Samwise

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2007 @ 12:42 AM

I think she did find a good working relationship with Elisa (note the good-humored (?) ribbing about markings better than spit-- Elisa was funny with her reaction to that). I was just uncomfortable with the way she was talking about Elisa to the judges. Maybe she felt it was okay because they were obviously safe.

I'm glad it worked out great for her though, she must have felt bad about being picked last (didn't hear much about that) and having to work with Elisa.

reasontobelieve

reasontobelieve

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2007 @ 11:22 AM

I liked Elisa's empathy for Sweet P when Sweet P was the last to be chosen. She said Sweet P was the one she had wanted all along. Maybe that was true, maybe it was not, but it was welcoming and inclusive. I wasn't particularly crazy about the way Sweet P talked about Elisa all the way through although it's clear that Elisa causes talk with her oddity. It just seems to me that Sweet P is also quite odd and perhaps wouldn't be so ready to talk about Elisa's quirks. Personally, I would be kind of freaked out by working with someone with massive visible tattoos. It would give me the creeps.

Still it was nice that they could both rise above any misgivings they had about one another and create a nice garment.

Namaste

Namaste

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2007 @ 12:17 PM

Did anyone else giggle at the sight of Sweet P crossing herself when confronted with one of Elisa's pronouncements? (It might have been the spit mark issue.)

ams627

ams627

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 23, 2007 @ 11:57 PM

I wasn't particularly crazy about the way Sweet P talked about Elisa all the way through although it's clear that Elisa causes talk with her oddity.

It sounded to me like the producers/editors cut out Sweet P's followup statement to what we saw. I think the list of things that were odd about Elisa was probably followed up by something to the effect of "but then we ended up really working well together, and I think our methods actually blended well." There was just something about the tone of her voice as she was speaking that led me to believe that some things she said weren't shown in the final cut of the episode.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2007 @ 11:56 PM

It's amusing to remember that in the first episodes "This season on Project Runway" montage, Sweet P was shown saying "I felt like I was really micromanaged. Please get off my back." It must be in reference to a future team challenge. It's amusing to think that soon she'll be wishing that she was working with Elisa again.

JBravoEcho09

JBravoEcho09

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 8:00 AM

I love Sweet P after this last challenge. I dig the whole biker chick thing (hey no neck tattoos so I'm good). If she was a bad sport she would have bitched to the camera the whole time or worse told on Elisa on the runway or to Tim (or in Wendy's case, both). I would be completely dismayed to be working with Elisa not because she is weird or offputting but because she seems to be on one frequency all the time and that she does not use a sewing machine. I admire the hand-sewing stuff I do but you're on project runway. The only reason the designers aren't freaking out about it more is because Elisa isn't in their breaking anything. So I think they collaborated the best but unfortunately this challenge was solely about pleasing SJP. If it was about teamwork then they would have won.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 12:16 PM

I liked Elisa's empathy for Sweet P when Sweet P was the last to be chosen. She said Sweet P was the one she had wanted all along. Maybe that was true, maybe it was not, but it was welcoming and inclusive.

I thought this was sweet on Elisa's part, even if Sweet P obviously wasn't all that thrilled with it. It brought to mind a similar suggestion last year when Angela was chosen last by ?--my mind is blanking on his name. The crazy Woody Allen-ish guy. And he got her name wrong when choosing her and then the team descended into utter chaos. I have to say, at least Elisa and Sweet P seemed to work well together. I'm sure if they hadn't, we would have seen it.

Woody13

Woody13

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

I thought this was sweet on Elisa's part, even if Sweet P obviously wasn't all that thrilled with it. It brought to mind a similar suggestion last year when Angela was chosen last by ?--my mind is blanking on his name. The crazy Woody Allen-ish guy. And he got her name wrong when choosing her and then the team descended into utter chaos. I have to say, at least Elisa and Sweet P seemed to work well together. I'm sure if they hadn't, we would have seen it.

Crazy Woody Allen-ish guy was named Vincent. Strangely he was one of my faves. But no doubt about it, he and Angela were an odd couple, though Biker Chick and Planet Elisa are stranger yet.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 1:33 AM

Oh Jesus! The monstrosity she sent down the runway today was just... actually the bottom three were so bad I thought a triple elimination was in order.

I'm sure she's a nice lady, but I'm really not feeling her skills as a designer. Sure we aren't even through the first five challenges yet and last episode she was just helping execute Elisa's vision, but I just don't see her wowing me in the future.

Edsel Love

Edsel Love

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 10:42 AM

I was hoping she'd switch gears to a Nehru or priest collar when she realized the measuring disaster she had on her hands. But I seriously liked the way she owned her mistakes unlike, say, Angela or Vincent from S3.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

I must go back and rethink my first impressions of her after this challenge. I liked her dress and she was so chill compared to that ball of anxiety Victorya.

The expression she had when asked who should be sent home was also so genuine and her answer to the -- always unpleasant --question made sense too.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 11:51 PM

I am liking her. I came in disliking her based solely on her association to Santino and Jeffrey. Unlike Jeffrey or Santino who seemed to love hearing themselves talk and rip on fellow competitors, Sweet P impressed me with how she related with Elisa and how she worked with Chris and Steve in tonight's challenge.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 2:26 AM

The expression she had when asked who should be sent home was also so genuine and her answer to the -- always unpleasant --question made sense too.

I'm usually a cynic when it comes to things like that, but I believe her. Her reaction was so cute. She really does hate that question.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

I actually thought that reaction -- especially the squeal -- was a little muggy, but I could still understand why she hated that question. No one wants to be in that position on this show.

I was smiling widely when guest judge Donna Karan said, flat-out, that she loved her dress. And I did, too. It was very well-designed and I could see that being a modernized look.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 10:05 PM

I came in disliking her based solely on her association to Santino and Jeffrey.

Oh! I had no idea she's a friend of theirs. So should we expect that season 5 will also feature an acquaintance of theirs too? Starting to look like the producers pick up the batphone and ask them to send a designer friend to audition.

Still, I'm liking her more each episode though.