2-4: "Rosemary's Baby" 2007.10.25 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

187 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 6:22 PM

From NBCUMV.com:

When Liz (Tina Fey) meets her idol, Rosemary Howard (Guest Star Carrie Fisher), she invites her to be a guest writer on the show. However, Rosemary's radical ideas that Liz grew up admiring are now too controversial for Liz's NBC show. When Liz refuses to fire Rosemary, Jack (Alec Baldwin) pressures Liz, who promptly quits. Jack brings Tracy (Tracy Morgan) to a therapist to figure out why he must do the opposite that he is told. Meanwhile, after Jenna (Jane Krakowski) ruins Kenneth's (Jack McBrayer) page jacket, Kenneth must compete in a page-off in order to keep his job. Carrie Fisher guest stars; Scott Adsit, Judah Friedlander, Lonny Ross, Katrina Bowden, John Lutz, Maulik Pancholy, Kevin Brown and Grizz Chapman also star.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

I loved Lil Liz Lemon, but young Tracy was dressed like Little Edie Beale, so he wins.

If I can't be Monique fat, then I have to be Teri Hatcher thin.

I don't want to inject you and listen to jazz.

You know, if someone had given me this advice:

Never go with a hippie to a second location.

...my life would have been different.

I too often wonder if I'm crazier than Ann Curry.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:01 PM

I didn't like the Liz storyline, however I was ROBBED of a page-off.

Jack's Family Therapy Time was nothing short of awse. Seriously, he didn't win the Emmy WHY again?!

And I want to see "New Jackee City." Dammit, "30 Rock" why say things that I would watch and then realize it doesn't exist?

LittleOat

LittleOat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:01 PM

"Never go with a hippie to a second location." = Brilliant. Give them next years emmy already.

Jonathan crying, "The rascals we fought", Jack's Tracy impression.

So much awse tonight.

ETA:

And I want to see "New Jackee City." Dammit, "30 Rock" why say things that I would watch and then realize it doesn't exist?

I know!! Jackee better make a guest appearance one of these days.

Edited by LittleOat, Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:05 PM.

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:03 PM

Oh my God the Family Therapy thing was hilarious.

"Who's crazier me or Ann Curry?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Awse.

Pvt Hitch

Pvt Hitch

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

Well, there's Baldwin's Emmy clip right there. OMFG that was funny. And ballsy. And brilliant. I couldn't believe my ears.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:07 PM

I'm starting to get a little sick of Kenneth to be honest. A little goes a looooong way.

And the key to happiness is selling out? Huh?

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:07 PM

Well, there's Baldwin's Emmy clip right there. OMFG that was funny. And ballsy. And brilliant. I couldn't believe my ears.

Me too. I was like, "No they didn't go there. Oh yes they did."

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:08 PM

Especially after the show earlier said that race-related comedy is taboo these days. I love self-referentiality.

I have hopes that a page-off may still be in our future. That head page said he wasn't through with Jenna yet.

So we're through with Fat Jenna now? That quick?

And the key to happiness is selling out?

Words to live by. I know I've been happier since I embraced that ideal.

Edited by Rinaldo, Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:09 PM.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:09 PM

"Help me Liz Lemon! You're my only hope!"

I just love Star Trek........I mean WARS!

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:11 PM

Can someone explain to me the Happy Days joke we caught the end of that Carrie Fisher was telling? Also, didn't get the mailman joke either. Something about altman? I couldn't really hear it.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

Best episode of the series so far.

Pure gold.

As was the hippie/second location line.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

Great episode tonight! I also loved the bombed out VW Beetle in Little Chechnya. Rosemary's Star Wars shout-out by screaming that Liz was her only hope was still amusing even though I was wondering when SW would be referenced.

The Page-Off and the Family Therapy bits were great. However the whole dogfighting bit was a cheap ploy far too reliant on current headlines. Cockfighting would have been a better selection, assuming cockfighting is a word they can say.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

Suck it up nerd(s)!

I know it wasn't, but I'll just imagine that Alec Baldwin did the scene in one take.... DY-NO-MITE!

"You play the nurse... Jack, you play the matador." If that's not role playing, I don't know what is.

I wanted to see the pageoff too.

Edited by shockey80te, Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:14 PM.

DslainteC

DslainteC

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:29 PM

Holy crap, that was a funny episode. Jack's therapy monologue was amazing and when he referenced To Kill a Mockingbird I hit the floor laughing.

They knocked this one out of the park. A++++ Would watch again.

RunninRedbird

RunninRedbird

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

Alec Baldwin is a god. Or he's sold his soul. Maybe both. Wow.

Can someone explain to me the Happy Days joke we caught the end of that Carrie Fisher was telling? Also, didn't get the mailman joke either. Something about altman? I couldn't really hear it.

One of the actors on Happy Days (Winkler? I didn't hear it that well, either) apparently harassed Rosemary using his feet.

And the mailbox joke referenced H.R. Haldeman, who was part of the Watergate scandal (hence why the joke was on Not!Laugh-In). And Jack liked the comparison.

Edited by RunninRedbird, Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:33 PM.

foultemptress

foultemptress

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:35 PM

Chiffarobe! Oh, how I love this show.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:37 PM

Another great exchange...

Liz: Is that man carrying a gun?!?
Rosemary: Don't worry. He's not a cop.

and..

Jack: Don't ever make me talk to a woman that old again.

I don't know why I love him but I do.

Red Panda

Red Panda

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:37 PM

I thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen during the therapy scene. Jesus. And then "Little Chechnya"! My husband used to live in an apartment in Queens with a train running right outside the window, so that struck very close to home. And the dogfighting thing was supposed to be straight out of the headlines -- "So what's in the newspaper?" I love this show so much it hurts.

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

Baldwin is incredible.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:45 PM

I don't know if I misinterpreted the joke, but did Tracy think dog fighting would be him fighting with a dog? Amazing episode. Alec Baldwin was absolutely magnificent, and they utilize guest actors/actresses on this show so much better than anyone else.

berrieh

berrieh

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:45 PM

No Page-Off? That's just wrong. I did love that Jenah forgot what even started it, and poor Kenneth had his rage-filled whisper.

I still think my favorite line of the episode is:

But you promised you'd go hat shopping with me.

Though:

Never go with a hippie to a second location.

Words to live by.

And the key to happiness is selling out? Huh?

It...kind of is. Which was why I liked the followship thread throughout the show. I'm not saying everyone should sell out, but I do think happiness is way more achievable when one does. Women like Rosemary did have to pave the way, but the people who pave ways are rarely the happiest of souls. I thought that was one of the more engaging and interesting Lemon episodic arcs for that reason.

I love that she has 12,000 in checking. Ha! But how can she not have a 401K, and what kind of company IS NBC, if that's true. Oh, well, at least she's going to learn that "rich person thing" and turn money into more money.

Jaman

Jaman

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

So we're through with Fat Jenna now? That quick?

I'd kind of love it if Fat Jenna became the seasonal joke. The show goes off the air, Jenna gets fat. We'd get her for one, maybe two episodes each season and we wouldn't get so sick of it.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:58 PM

I don't know if I misinterpreted the joke, but did Tracy think dog fighting would be him fighting with a dog?

That's how I took it. I agree with an earlier poster that dog fighting seemed too easy, but when Tracey was gearing up to actually fight a dog, I laughed. Actually, I laughed throughout this episode. Can't say enough about Jack's Family Therapy, and Carrie Fisher was great. Best so far of the season.

I also enjoyed what was written on the memo line for Liz's check: Mindless Following.

Edited by SpchProf, Oct 25, 2007 @ 8:59 PM.

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

So, is that $12,000 Liz has $2,000 of her own savings coupled with the $10,000 she was awarded for being a mindless follower?

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

One of the actors on Happy Days (Winkler? I didn't hear it that well, either) apparently harassed Rosemary using his feet.

And the mailbox joke referenced H.R. Haldeman, who was part of the Watergate scandal (hence why the joke was on Not!Laugh-In). And Jack liked the comparison.

Aw thank you. I figured it was a political joke, but stupid tv doesn't have the best sound.

lifeonhold

lifeonhold

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

I'm still recovering from the non-stop laughing.

Family Therapy is this season's GE Pos Mens Promo. Brilliant!

Loved how Jenna lightly exited from the almost page-off by saying something like "I can't remember how this all got started." and Kenneth's weak response, "You burned my jacket."

I was a little uncomfortable at first with the dog fighting premise, but true to form it turned funny and then became the fodder for the classic Family Therapy segment. I'm glad someone caught that Tracy thought it meant fighting the dog himself and that Dotcom and Gris brought in toy dogs.

A+++ indeed.

Just to promote the show further, in case not everyone knows, 30 Rock episodes can be found on many cable On Demand (current episode) and also on Amazon's "unboxed downloads" (Season 2).

Edited by lifeonhold, Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:17 PM.

sesi

sesi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

I loved that Rosemary carried a thermos around even before the wine joke.

The flasbacks to childhood have been fabulous all season, did they have any last season?

Dynomite episode and good night of NBC comedies all around - didn't see 'Earl', but 8:30 - 10:00 were all great

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

I loved the therapy scene, but the Carrie Fisher plot didn't really do it for me. I loved "Little Chechnya," but her character didn't amuse me too much--too sad, maybe? Which is funny because usually the Liz storylines are my favorite parts.

And I loved that Cheers, Cosby and a couple other shows were spun off "Super Computer."

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

I don't know if I misinterpreted the joke, but did Tracy think dog fighting would be him fighting with a dog?

Yes. That is what he thought. Which is why he it is so damn funny.

Always practical advice from Jack. Never go with a hippie to a second location. Alec Baldwin is the best.