Say Yes to the Dress: Home of the Pnina Stripper Fairy Dress

• Please log in to reply

6855 replies to this topic

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I caught the "unique" snark too. (Although I did like the dress.) And the Self-Tanner Bride? I would never think of that as my first concern. Put it on a few days in advance; you'll be fine.

sprezzatura1018

sprezzatura1018

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 5:07 AM

WHY OH WHY do these women with disorders subject themselves to reality television? It makes me uncomfortable. And I don't give a crap if you kept yourself "pure" for your wedding day. I don't care about your hymen, I'm sorry.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 8:55 AM

Poor Kaycee. If she's having OCD issues with her dress, how is the poor thing going to decide to have children.

jjj343

jjj343

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

I feel a great deal of sympathy for OCD bride, but why on earth didn't her family stop her from being on this show? It is really stressful looking for a wedding gown, and that is a huge challenge for a bride suffering from anxiety. So why didn't her family say, "honey, we love you, but we don't want you to have the added pressure of being on national television while you are making such a big decision?" You get enough pressure from consultants to buy a dress immediately - I can't imagine what it is like with cameras filming you.

rubyredjewel

rubyredjewel

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 10:11 AM

I watched an episode tonight with a bride having an UNLIMITED budget who ended up buying the fugliest dress I've ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on, short in front, long in back, in silver. She looked like a cheap hooker in her every day wear, so the goofball stripper dress was a good match for her. She still sounded as dumb and unpleasant as a barrrel of hammers, though.

All for the modest sum of $34,000.

I hope when the show was over, the stupid mom who was footing the bill said JUST KIDDING PUT THAT SHIT BACK ON THE HANGER, we're collecting our TLC check and WE'RE OUTTA HERE!

We're both on the same page. I can't believe someone bought that 'Project Runway" aluminum foil dress priced at $34,000! Honestly the show has now reached the 'jumped the shark' moment for me! Neither the bride nor her mother came off as really wanting that dress. If I knew exactly what I wanted the store should have the dress waiting for me when I get there. The drama of looking for the Pnina dress was so over the top phony! I kept rolling my eyes at Randy while shouting give me a break! Let me add this: owners, freakin' hire someone to put the inventory on the computer!!! Damn this is 2011. Sit the bride at a computer . Let her select her choices. You click on FIND THE DRESS(es) and get them! Too much time is wasted showing us that damn back room. The dresses also should be facing front so the consultants don't have to keep pulling them out! The owner needs to visit a cleaners and implement the wheel that brings the clothes down and around!! I would also have a rolling dress rack that's made specifically for long bridal gowns & formals.

Edited by rubyredjewel, Dec 10, 2011 @ 10:14 AM.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

""" I cringe when I see the consultants *dragging* the gowns along the carpet...oftimes the dress isn't even in a garment bag. I know they're heavy but honestly! Those carpets must be filthy with all those feet on them every day (and NYC shoes get really dirty). This is why I'd never buy a sample gown -- dirt, sweat, make-up, *self-tanner!*

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 4:26 AM

Self-tanning bride seemed otherwise normal, but her insistence that she was going to put at least two coats before and her worry about getting it on her dress made me picture her dabbing the stuff on as she went up the aisle. It would be funny if she self-tanned herself to a shade that matched the dress in the pictures, instead of making her skin "pop."

Kaycee, dear, you're only 20. You haven't had much of a chance to test that "purity" you're so proud of.

But she "earned" it! Damn, that was annoying. I was feeling very sorry for her, but then she lost me. Well, at the rate Im going I will be eighty before Im married, but I certainly hope I will have "earned" the right to wear a very dingy and impure white.

I feel a great deal of sympathy for OCD bride, but why on earth didn't her family stop her from being on this show?

My guess is that it was some sort of test she set up for herself to show how far shed come. As you said, it was a bad idea from the get go.

Baltimore Betty

Baltimore Betty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:17 AM

Self tanner, self tanner...everytime those words were said I took a drink! I wish I had counted how many times self tanner was actually said.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

Not nearly as many times as "turtleneck" was said in the Turtleneck Bride episode. :-)

Edited by Ketzel, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:57 AM.

Deena123

Deena123

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

Have never used self-tanner, so maybe I'm naive - but if you let it dry before you get dressed, does it really rub off on everything? Her wardrobe must be a mess if she is so obsessed with it coming off on her dress!

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

I was feeling very sorry for her, but then she lost me.

Yep, me too. I went from "sympathy" to "full-on hate" in 6.7 nanoseconds. I was hoping that we'd left 20-year-olds bragging about their intact hymens back on the Atlanta show.

Glad I saw the rerun with the $34,000 Pnina tin-foil mullet monstrosity. That's the fugliest dress I've seen in years; it was hilarious.

Noelle610

Noelle610

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

I actually really liked the dress the three brides chose - it was pretty! Although it would seem it's not "unique" since all of them picked it, I think it really was in the grand scheme of things. I've been to so, so many weddings this past year (I'm 28 - it's that time) and I've not seen anything even remotely similar. I loved the color.

I was worried for Kaycee. If her anxiety is so severe that she needs to work through a breakdown with her mother while buying a bridal gown, perhaps she's not ready to get married. I know that may seem harsh, but I've suffered from anxiety and do have compassion. She just didn't seem to be managing it well, at least from the small picture we saw on TV.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

What a crazy episode. On one side we have the lovely Jaycee bringing tears to my eyes (I cried when I saw her on Oprah, too - such a sad accident). Then there is Tabitha of the tacky-ass Pnina's being FAR too pleased with herself for throwing away $70,000! (How much do DJ's make anyway?) Such a huge swing between the two brides. The third one was a yawn.

What was Randy talking about when he said the average a bride spends on a dress is $800? Was that like, nationwide? I didn't quite follow.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

I think Randy did mean the average was $800 nationwide -- certainly not at K's!

The record-breaking bride's mom looked better than her. MOB's dress was interesting, or maybe it's just because I hadn't seen it before. And now there's finally a Pnina dress I can say I loved! The toddler looked completely adorable.

[snip] I've always thought if I was shopping at K's, I'd ask for Dianne. She has a tender heart and I really like her.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 17, 2011 @ 7:14 PM.
Boards on boards

snowball

snowball

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

And now there's finally a Pnina dress I can say I loved! The toddler looked completely adorable.

I thought the exact same thing. You know, on one hand I was prepared to loathe $70,000 bride, because really? Is it necessary to blow that kind of money on five dresses and tart up your barely teen aged daughters in the process? It's so frivolous and all the rot that comes with it. However when she talked about her fiance, and when she talked about how much she loved her family and wanted them to be part of the whole thing, I couldn't hate her. I wanted to, but I couldn't. I thought they all, save the one year old, looked ridiculous. And they threw a lot of money away looking that way, but in the very brief glimpse we got, it was not the "typical" mememememe Pnina bride. I'm sure there's some of that in there, but it's a far cry from the season opener with the bride just throwing around the money of her fiance (the one that referred to himself in the third person). Tabitha didn't talk about how "generous" he was or how he gave her everything she wanted. She said she thought she'd never fall for a younger guy and then there it was. Maybe she got a good edit to make it palatable, but I wasn't nearly annoyed as I thought I would be by her. It's not something I'd do, but if she/they can afford it, and everyone's happy in the process, then go for it. But $70,000???

I thought Candace was really pretty - didn't look at all like her Mom. And the last dress was really quite beautiful on her.

Jaycee's story was so sad, yet so inspiring to see. And I like Diane. She's never rubbed me the wrong way - she seems to be a soft touch.

And what was with the sale's director's little dance at the end of the morning meeting. It was kinda funny!

I watched 15 minutes of the Brides of Beverly Hills - awful. I feel silly for sometimes watching Say Yes To the Dress, but I felt like a genius after 15 minutes of that Beverly Hills mess.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

$4500 for a toddler dress? Insane... she could buy a REAL designer fashion dress (Christian Dior, Michael Kors, Diane von Furstenberg) for the cost of a dress her daughter will outgrow in a month. I would love to hear her plan for paying for all that... her wedding outfits could have paid for my entire doctoral education. That's all I can think... and then she had her BRACES ON. I MEAN... you're so into your wedding and looking amazing and you don't wait to get married until your braces are off? That's just beyond me...

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

$4500 for a toddler dress? Insane...

Especially when a toddler - especially one that adorable - looks cute in anything! A $15 dress would still look darling!

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

Are there pictures of that 70K dress anywhere? I missed the episode.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:29 PM

It wasn't one dress. The bride bought Pnina's for herself, her mother and her three children. Two of the daughters looked to be pre-teens and there was also a toddler.

snowball

snowball

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

The toddler dress was $4,500??? Holy moly! I was wondering how much those suckers cost. I'm sure Pnina charged extra for doing the extra small sizes, but I figured that because so much less material and embellishments would be necessary that the costs on those three dresses would have been a little more "manageable." I thought that the bulk of the cost would be in the bride's and mother of the bride's dress.

You're right, too. That baby would have looked adorable in anything.

Mom set a dangerous precedent, too. Now her girls are going to feel entitled to crazy expensive dresses in about ten years. I was wondering who was paying for all of this. There was no hint of that in the show.

mrsproducer

mrsproducer

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 11:50 PM

The toddler dress was $4500??! Holy crap! While it was obvious that woman loves her family, they looked like fools in those dresses, especially her teenage daughters. The toddler was super cute but when they all stood together as a group, I actually laughed out loud.

I was really moved by Jacy's story. She managed to not only physically survive but emotionally survive a horrifying event and is out there trying to make the world a better and safer place. I found myself really close to tears when she talked about her fiancee. I was diagnosed with MS almost 11 years ago and my now-husband and I had been together only 3 months when I woke up paralyzed. It was close two years before I had recovered from that episode and he never left my side. Now here we are all these years later, expected our first child in 10 weeks! Anyway, my point is that, I really hope K's brings Jacy back for another episode and we get to see some of her wedding. Her story made me emotional and got me thinking that I'd love to see more coverage of some of these memorable brides weddings. It's awesome to see brides on this show who don't act like total tools. What a contrast between Jacy and $70,000 bride. Talk about different priorities in life, huh?

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 2:12 AM

Are these brides and families for real, are they really buying these dresses and spending this kind of money?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 2:46 AM

Then there is Tabitha of the tacky-ass Pnina's being FAR too pleased with herself for throwing away $70,000! (How much do DJ's make anyway?)

I applaud her sentiment of want everyone to be beautiful but I though mom's dress was too young for her and the teen's daughter's were too grown.

shesgotagun

shesgotagun

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

I thought Candace was really pretty - didn't look at all like her Mom. And the last dress was really quite beautiful on her.

Agreed on all counts, but I could have done without all of that fake crying. Really, girl?

Jaycee was very statuesque and got a dress that complemented that feature. I was touched to see the support from her family.

As for $70,000 price tag bride... I couldn't get past the braces. Her grill was shinier than MOB's dress.

plasticfish

plasticfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 9:06 AM

After spending $70,000, couldn't the bride help her finance find a tuxedo that fit? His outfit was distracting it was poorly fitted to him.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

I was wondering who was paying for all of this. There was no hint of that in the show.

No mention at all of her having a job, lottery windfall, etc.! Fiancee is a DJ? Don't think he's footing the bill. My thought is about 70 credit cards with a nice little bankruptcy in the future. She may have been sweet but that was completely unneccessary and a pretty disgusting display in my book. I can think of a million better ways $70k could benefit a family of 5.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:00 AM

Fiance was a DJ who (judging by the one picture showed) plays from someone's cushy living room chair! I thought it was hilarious they did not show a picture of him in a slamming club somewhere.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:26 AM

Pninas for everyone! Yahhhhhh! I did like her but wondered why she didn't plan the wedding around her braces. Now I would like to find a DJ to marry please. They make lots of money apparently.

I got $5 that says William and Catherine make #1 on Randy's weddings of 2011 list. And another $5 that only one other royal wedding makes the list. (Monaco or maybe Bhutan.)

Baltimore Betty

Baltimore Betty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:27 AM

I noticed that Jaycee did not ask for a "hardship" discount and if ever there was a reason, she did not ask, that's grace and class.

Words fail, I could not even believe the five fug dresses that Pnina cranked out for Tabitha, biggest waste of money ever. The one daughter who wore the mullet dress should be careful how she sits, it looked so short in the front.

My guess is when the reality hits (and the Visa bill) Tabitha will be listing those dresses on Ebay.

Wouldn't it have been better to put that money towards a college fund? Hindsight maybe?

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

I was extremely proud of Jenelle's (sp?) mother standing up for her daughter about her choice in dresses. The aunt was a real pain in the rear to be so self-centered about what she wanted.