Say Yes to the Dress: Home of the Pnina Stripper Fairy Dress

• Please log in to reply

6855 replies to this topic

beden

beden

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

Also, I think these days, the bride/groom are often leaving later while in the old days, they were usually the first to go.

Back in the day the general rules were that 1) no one except the bride ever wore white to a wedding so the bride wouldn't be upstaged and 2) no one left the party before the bride; hence those old cars trailing cans and shoes as the couple made their getaway as friends and family waved them off.

Yes, I'm dating myself.

Edited by beden, Feb 21, 2011 @ 9:13 AM.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

I remember the "going away" dress. I'm definitely planning an entire wardrobe for my wedding weekend...rehersal dress, main dress, reception dress, and going away outfit. But I love clothes!

I wasn't as annoyed by Madcap bride but she definitely didn't have to go to Kleinfelds for a dress. I couldn't understand why some of the dresses would even be in the store because they could have easily been found at any retailer.

Dress Hater bride made me want to punch her. I love shopping and people who complain about it the way she did just bug me! She didn't have to apply to be on the show and then make a big deal out of hating the whole idea of a big wedding. Give me a break.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

Back in the day the general rules were that 1) no one except the bride ever wore white to a wedding so the bride wouldn't be upstaged

That solves the mystery of why Aretha Franklin looked like she was wearing a white wedding dress in her video at The Grammys. Ha. Ha.

Baltimore Betty

Baltimore Betty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 12:33 PM

I thought the Nigerian Scam Bride (with her camera toting fiance) tried on a dress named White Chocolate or something like that and although the expensive designer gown looked stunning on her left without buying (shocker!!!). Also, I thought cameras were forbidden in the store.

The bride who did not want to be shopping for a dress was clearly on the show because of her mother.

When I got married the first time it was 1987, I wore a Fink Brothers tea length gown with a high neck, long sleeves all with over embroidered lace from Betsy Robinson Bridals, it was gorgeous and cost less than $400, after the reception I changed in to a very Princess Di looking dress with a lace collar for a 10 minute ride the hotel. I wish I had not changed the dress, (husband-yes, dress-no). Most wedding dresses are a bother to take on and off, I can not believe the amount of time a bride wastes (missing out on her wedding, abondoning guests) to change from one dress to another.

courtandspark

courtandspark

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

I think the going away dress stems from a lifestyle in which brides actually went on honeymoons directly from the wedding rather than heading home.

Taking off a formal dress might be a drag but does one actually want to have to shlep it around on one's honeymoon? I thought many brides used to have the dresses cleaned and boxed. At any rate, I can't think of anything more cumbersome than having a wedding dress and all the other accoutrements in my luggage.

Of course if one is heading home directly from the reception, it's pretty much a moot point.

Baltimore Betty

Baltimore Betty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 1:12 PM

One of the reasons that I changed in to a going away dress was so my mother could take my dress home with her, I could not imagine dragging my dress around needlessly. I had it cleaned and boxed then 20 years later I gave it to Goodwill.

avast wasteland

avast wasteland

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

Back in the day ...
After the bride and groom changed into "going away" clothes, the Best Man's last duty was to return the groom's dress suit (if rented), and the Maid/Matron of Honor's was to take the bride's gown and veil to the dry cleaners, to be cleaned and preserved.

Hotel "wedding packages" that include the reception and a Honeymoon Suite for the bridal couple seem to have come about in the last 10-12 years. That's what our son and DIL did, but before that, even if the reception was at a hotel ballroom, the bride and groom "went away". But, wedding "planners" and bridal dress "consultants" aren't going to suggest anything that doesn't get them the most of the Budget.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

Excess drama aside, I loved eloping bride's dress. Anyone know who designed it?

Yes, I believe the designer is NotPnina.

I thought the Nigerian Scam Bride (with her camera toting fiance) tried on a dress named White Chocolate or something like that and although the expensive designer gown looked stunning on her left without buying (shocker!!!).

Betty, I think you've got your Nigerian brides mixed up. The White Chocolate bride was from a couple of seasons ago, who ended up not buying. like you recall. The "Nigerian SCAM Bride" is the one from this season who was having a lavish wedding and wanted all bling from head to toe, and could find nothing in the store. She had the same top as Broken/Bandaid Bride from Friday's episode, but wanted the skirt to have the same bling as well.

ETA: My saying "White Chocolate bride" is really meaning the "bride who tried on the dress by the designer Scott Corridan's "White Chocolate" line (bride's name is Sola), lest anyone get the wrong impression that "White Chocolate" means anything else but the designer.

Edited by irishlulu, Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:09 AM.

Baltimore Betty

Baltimore Betty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

I guess I missed the episode with the SCAM bride...why SCAM?

I am hoping for a mini marathon of recent shows this weekend.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

I thought the Nigerian Scam Bride (with her camera toting fiance) tried on a dress named White Chocolate or something like that and although the expensive designer gown looked stunning on her left without buying (shocker!!!). Also, I thought cameras were forbidden in the store.

What was the story with the Nigerian Scam Bride? Is she the one who tried on a dramatic dress with a high collar? Almost Elizabethan in feel. She loved it, but didn't purchase. I knew all along she wouldn't purchase... but was there more to the story? Or is that another bride I'm thinking of?

Edited by bagatelle1, Feb 21, 2011 @ 8:52 PM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

You mean there were two Scam brides?

There have been two brides featured on the show with origins in Nigeria. They look absolutely nothing alike and one was featured a few seasons ago. The earlier one was there with her fiance, on vacation in NYC from England (I think London but I'm not certain). She found a dress with long lace sleeves and a high collar. Her budget was high, I think around $10K, and while she loved the dress, she and her fiance didn't have enough liquid funds with them to buy it. I remember him saying he didn't think they could move their money around in time before their vacation was over. She had dark skin, shorter not-straight black hair, a British accent, and was pretty thin. I didn't like the dress at all, but she seemed adorable and really nice.

The other bride, who was featured much more recently, was shopping for a dress to wear to her wedding in Toronto (I think she was having a wedding in Nigeria AND one in Toronto and already had a dress from K's for her Nigerian wedding that cost over $10K). She wanted a dress with head-to-toe crystals. She tried on the dress that the Boston New Year's Eve bride with the controlling husband bought. She was light-skinned, had long blond hair with bangs, had a fuller figure, and no accent to speak of.

Discussion of Liza, the more recent bride, begins around here. Discussion of Sola, the British-Nigerian bride, begins around here. (I didn't remember either of their names until I looked them up, and I must have seen the British bride on a rerun because I don't think I was watching the show when her episode first aired.) And yeah, the immediate leap from Nigerian to scam (with BOTH women) is at my "that's offensive" line.

Edited by Empress1, Feb 21, 2011 @ 5:44 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

Mine, too. There have been several other brides who have shopped and not bought, and they’re not getting called "Scam Brides." The only difference seems to be the color of their skin. Cut it out.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

With respect, I believe the "scam" designation refers to the e-mail "I need you to help me get a gazillion dollars out of my native Nigeria and I'll split it with you" scam. It doesn't have anything to do with skin color or the fact that someone didn't buy a gown, it has to do with the country. It's also known as the 419 scam.

419 Nigerian scam

courtandspark

courtandspark

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

With respect, I believe the "scam" designation refers to the e-mail "I need you to help me get a gazillion dollars out of my native Nigeria and I'll split it with you" scam. It doesn't have anything to do with skin color or the fact that someone didn't buy a gown, it has to do with the country. It's also known as the 419 scam.

I don't think it was applied to the Nigerian woman who walked in with her fiance and tried on that fabulous dress with the jacket.

It was used for the incredibly vulgar woman who wanted the second ultra-blingy tasteless dress. I thought the appellation was used because she was utterly crass, vulgar and nouveau riche in her quest for the dress. The term had nothing to do with with her intent or non-intent of buying a dress since she had already purchased one but merely snarked on what the source of the funding for her vulgarity could be.

I made a similar snarky comment regarding the Canadian bride who wanted a dress with a no limit budget regarding being affiliated with the Russian Mafia since her family seemed equally vulgar, nouveau riche and unlikely to have acquired riches through a profession requiring erudition, taste or class.

I'm an equal opportunity snarker.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 8:31 PM

Liza, the bride from Toronto who was having two wedding receptions ... in Toronto and Nigeria - had already purchased a custom gown from K's for $17,000. So the 'scam' designation wasn't in reference to her simply playing dress-up with no intention on buying anything. And she did purchase a second gown at K's. As for the source of her income, if I remember correctly, someone posted a link to her website and she's a lawyer and her family are also all professionals.

Sola the bride who was from England - was the one who tried on the couture high-fashion gown with sleeves and a stand-up collar. And yes, she and her fiance didn't come prepared to spend $10K+ and there wasn't enough available on their credit card, so they left empty-handed. I don't recall her ever being referred to as a Nigerian e-mail scam bride.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 8:50 PM

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the "I'm here to interpret what she wants" bride during the actual ceremony. The gown really sparkled and looked so pretty.

Usually, I find myself liking a dress while the bride is standing on the pedestal in the store, but it loses something when she walks down the aisle. It may be the fact that the gown is hidden behind a big bouquet, or a father of the bride is obstructing my view... whatever it is, the gown starts to look like every other gown I've seen.

With this bride however, the gown looked better than it did in the store. Do I have to give credit to the controlling Fiancé for knowing that?

courtandspark

courtandspark

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the "I'm here to interpret what she wants" bride during the actual ceremony. The gown really sparkled and looked so pretty.

SHe did look good and he *was* right about the train. His point was that she was going to have to bustle it up all evening and so the beautiful draping would be lost anyway. The way it flowed around her at the bottom reminded me of very classic wedding dresses from the 1930's/1940's which were cut on the bias and kind of wrapped around the body.

I actually liked the bodice of the dress during the fitting. I would love to see a close up of it because it looked like intricately woven material that was completely covered with something sparkly - surprisingly tasteful especially with the very simple skirt.

OldTowneTavern

OldTowneTavern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

Well, I know I wouldn't want to a wear a wedding dress for hours through an airport while fighting with luggage and trying to stretch my legs in cramped seats, but I guess that wasn't a big concern for Madcap Bride. Sure, she was definitely calling attention to herself, but most brides aren't known for going incognito, especially considering how many of them ride around in cars with streamers on them and signs that say "just married". Her photos were amazing. She glowed, and the shots reminded me of shots of Mid-20th Century celebrities travelling in Europe that invariably show up in the center of biographies. It may not have been the most convenient way to travel, but the result was gorgeous.

lalalynnski

lalalynnski

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

Yeah, I don't think anybody meant any offense. As far as I can remember, everybody really liked Sola (I know I did). Big difference between her and Liza. I think somebody made a joke referring to her only, just like they do a lot of brides on the show from all different backgrounds. JMO

It didn't have anything to do with not buying either; lots of brides don't buy. I believe Sola was just on holiday here and happened into Kleinfeld without preplanning to purchase at that time, which was a shame as she looked absolutely gorgeous in that gown, which was a one of a kind.

Edited by lalalynnski, Feb 22, 2011 @ 2:04 AM.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 8:06 AM

I am totally on the Kleinfeld's consultants side on this. If you don't have a lot of money to spend... don't go to friggin' Kleinfeld's!They do have cheaper gowns but that's not their primary price range and thus they won't have a lot of stock in that range. Just like if you don't have a lot of money to spend on a purse you'll find more variety in the Nine West store versus the Coach store. And this is from someone who would go purse shopping in Goodwill/H&M.

courtandspark

I think K does have a selection of gowns under $2000 especially since they added their "Kollection" but their "sweet spot" in terms of income/demographics are brides who are spending between $2500 and $6000 or so.

I think of K as being somewhat like Macy's/Nordstroms in terms of their target buyers being in the middle. They have a few high end lines but a truly high end shopper is going to head to Barneys/Saks/Bergdoffs (or small boutique). Conversely, while one can get clothing on a "Macy's" budget at Saks, does one want to be limited solely to the cheapest clothing in the place.

Huh. Thanks courtandspark. I had no idea that's where they fit in the spectrum of bridal shops. So do the super fancy salons have nothing but Pnina? [/kidding]

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

The Sola episode was on this afternoon. Such a shame that she didn't end up with the "White Chocolate" dress. I had forgotten how different that dress was and how absolutely gorgeous she looked in it. Here's what I didn't understand... I get K's doesn't hold dresses, but why couldn't she have put some non-refundable money down and then cleared the money up when she got home, paid, and have the dress shipped to her? Somehow I doubt another bride was going to come along and buy that dress. It just surprised me K's wasn't willing to work something out with her and let a $8000+ sale of a very distinct dress slip thru their fingers. Especially since it sounded like that dress had been there for a while and no one had snapped it up.

WinterRabbit

WinterRabbit

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I really liked the Madcap Bride! She was my favorite bride they have ever featured on the show. I think she was having an adventure with her fiancee; flying to NYC, having there wedding in Central Park, going to Paris for the honey moon and thought it would be fun to go to Kleinfeld and try and find a dress. She didn't seem to mean or malicious about it so I don't understand why so many people are attacking her on this form. She was having fun and she planed the best most exciting wedding she could in one month, and non of us know what the circumstances behind why they need to get married in a rush. Maybe some one at their place of work was going to expose them and they need to be married in order to keep their jobs, or many they just woke up one morning and said to each other "I don't want to wait anymore and I want us to have a wedding that celebrates our love and sense of fun." I didn't get the impression that she was a "attention whore" (as so many have called her), I think the producer just heard her story when she came to the store. The photos were great and I think because her husband was not in the pictures that he was the one who took them. Loved the wedding Good for them!

P.S.
You don't need a permit for most parks if you are not having tents, chairs or anything that needs to be set up in advance and from the photos I don't think that there was anything of that nature at the park that day. I know this because I had my wedding in a park.

P.S.S.
What ever happened to dressing up to go on a vacation? I am so tried of see everyone in sweats on plans! I away dress when I go somewhere, it is part of the adventure.

Edited by WinterRabbit, Feb 22, 2011 @ 11:15 PM.

SBar54321

SBar54321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

Does anyone have a link to the "White Chocolate" dress? I can't remember that one for the life of me, but I know I've seen it several times. UGH

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

courtandspark
I think K does have a selection of gowns under $2000 especially since they added their "Kollection" but their "sweet spot" in terms of income/demographics are brides who are spending between $2500 and $6000 or so.

I think of K as being somewhat like Macy's/Nordstroms in terms of their target buyers being in the middle. They have a few high end lines but a truly high end shopper is going to head to Barneys/Saks/Bergdoffs (or small boutique). Conversely, while one can get clothing on a "Macy's" budget at Saks, does one want to be limited solely to the cheapest clothing in the place.

Huh. Thanks courtandspark. I had no idea that's where they fit in the spectrum of bridal shops. So do the super fancy salons have nothing but Pnina? [/kidding]

In no way would I equate Kleinfeld with Macy's or vice versa. I can afford stuff at Macy's. Kleinfeld's low end $2000 gowns are still about 100% over my wedding dress budget.

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

White Chocolate (possibly NSFW, if you strain). Sola was shown wearing a strapless bodice underneath, and I didn't think it took away from the dress at all.

And yep - it's mohair. Wasn't one of the reasons why she was reluctant to buy because she wasn't sure if the wedding was going to be in the UK or Nigeria?

So many brides shriek "I feel like a princess!" I remember Sola said she felt like a queen - and that attitude really helped her carry the look.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

Deleted post. Mariposa's link to Sola's dress (White Chocolate Label by Scott Corridan) is much better that the one I posted.

Edited by irishlulu, Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:21 AM.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

P.S.S.
What ever happened to dressing up to go on a vacation? I am so tried of see everyone in sweats on plans! I away dress when I go somewhere, it is part of the adventure.

Answer: TSA
Take off your shoes, belt, jewelry, jacket, watch, coins, perfume...

However, I feel your pain. When I was young, my mother also planned the travel attire. You wanted to look chic but also not travel weary when you arrived at your destination. It was a big deal like getting dressed up to go to the doctor.

I remember the Sex and the City episode where Carrie dressed for her trip to Paris. But alas, she got there looking like something from the baggage compartment.

Sigh...

Edited by hicks964, Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:32 AM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 12:06 PM

I got married in 1970, and I had a going away outfit. We left directly from the reception (cake and punch--no meal, which was the norm then) on our honeymoon. In those days, the bride and groom were the first to leave, everyone threw rice, etc. No way would I have traveled in my wedding gown. My mom took my dress to be cleaned and hermetically sealed. Twenty years later, when the local high school drama dept was doing Father of the Bride, I donated it to them.

I would love to know if some of the marriages from this show have lasted. So many of the brides act as if getting the perfect dress is a matter of life and death. The wedding is important; the marriage is an afterthought.

A Bad Example

A Bad Example

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

White Chocolate (possibly NSFW, if you strain). Sola was shown wearing a strapless bodice underneath, and I didn't think it took away from the dress at all.

Wow. Sola looked SO much better in the dress than the model there. How often is that true? It really is too bad she didn't get the dress- it was certainly made for her.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

And yep - it's mohair. Wasn't one of the reasons why she was reluctant to buy because she wasn't sure if the wedding was going to be in the UK or Nigeria?

I bet the White Chocolate dress never sold. No one could make it look as regal as that bride.

I don't understand why she was there trying on dresses though. She didn't have the funds and she didn't know where her wedding was going to be. It was sort of obvious she wasn't going to purchase. Was this just another case of a bride wanting to be on a TV show while on vacation?

I also don't know why I get disappointed when someone does not purchase the perfect dress they found, but I do. It's not as if I'm the one getting the commission.