Len Goodman: He's Tough Because He Cares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

326 replies to this topic

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

I also think he's a bad actor w/ his dumb looking around and shoulder shrugging when he gets boo'd for negative comments, and I agree that he can be extremely hurtful in how he phrases these comments sometimes.

This! I swear he won't stop until there's some tiny little rumble of dissent from the audience, and then he swivels around in faux shock, practically coaching the audience to ramp it up, and proceeds to reproach them for rudeness! What a crock! This lame, phony shtick is as predictable as the rising sun. He's blown his own credibility by becoming a cartoon.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:51 PM

The audiences booing and jeering have nearly made it impossible for him to say very much. That makes him even more cranky and he says harsh things to the celebrities. His effectiveness as a judge is nearly gone.

I hadn't thought about this, but it's probably true. He can't give any criticism before the jeering starts but while he tells the audience to shut the hell up, he does seem to take it out on the couples, too.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

Len has been cranky, subjective, inconsistent, and outright wrong many times, but he wasn't wrong this time about the heel leads and the fact that the flat boots accentuated them.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:58 PM

Pointing out heel leads and wrong shoes is fine, but when you give Hope and Chaz the same score, it ruins your credibility.

She wasn't amazing but she was better than Chaz. He tells Chaz that he got through the dance and than pick Hope apart but doesn't notice that she seemed more relaxed.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

I hadn't thought about this, but it's probably true. He can't give any criticism before the jeering starts but while he tells the audience to shut the hell up, he does seem to take it out on the couples, too.

I think on some level he enjoys the booing and the jeering. It gets him attention. He makes very nasty, personal comments which have absolutely nothing to do with dance. He did this with Carson more than once, he did this over and over with Mario the R&B singer. I think he is just an increasingly unpleasant person on these shows and he knows he can get away with it.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 6:00 PM

I am still baffled over his behavior toward Mario 2. Or were his issues with Karina? I thought Mario 2 did a good job, but he could never please Len, and Len was really crappy towards him.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 6:46 PM

Video > (AH) DwtS S13 Week 6 Post-Performance Interview: Len Goodman
About The Maksim Exchange
About Chaz Bono

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

My theory about Len's treatment of Mario 2: Mario was getting low fan votes so they needed to 'justify' his ouster by having reasons OTHER than his lack of popularity to be blamed. They do that to protect the contestant's feelings and/or reputation - well, sometimes, and I think this is an example, so I think the producers decided Len would be the 'bad guy' because he's the ballroom 'purist' and the other two grade on 'performance value'. I honestly don't think Len disliked Mario at ALL. I don't think Len cares about any of these contestants, one way or another. He flies in the day before the show - flies out soon after when he's doing both seasons - and even in the Spring, he's just not invested in making friends (or enemies) with anyone. He's getting paid a pretty penny after struggling with his own dance studio for ages - he's thrilled to get the money and he'll do whatever they tell him to do.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

I believe the judges should at least be trying to be consistent in holding the contestants to simliar standards as much as possible, and I feel they should be trying to make their criticism constructive, not destructive, and I think Len gets a fail, more often than not, on both of those fronts.

ITA. Besides, he (the other two judges too) is at the point where it seems like he is abusing the powers given to him by his position. He says nasty and insulting things to the contestants only because he can. How constructive it is to constantly tell Hope that she is not feminine, sexy or that she walks like a man? To me, this sounds more like a personal attack. Or what in the world is constructive about telling Chaz he looks like a little cuddly penguin who wants to be a big and strong bird? Bruno?

I am disgusted by these judges.

Edited by protanto, Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:32 PM.

linkster007

linkster007

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

IMO, when the program is getting "stars" to come on who are not dancers but who are (a) willing to learn and (b) willing to put themselves out there for possible public humiliation, those contestants should not be insulted and belittled. I have started recording the show and zipping through the judges' comments since most times their comments are no longer relevant. I really don't care who Carrie Ann thinks is sexy, I'm not interested in Bruno's double entendres, and I am tired of Len's curmudgeonly old man act (hopefully, it's an act). I was very irritated with the way Chaz and Carson were treated.

I agree, constructive criticism would be better, but apparently, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. More respect for the contestants and helpful critcism would be nice.

Edited by linkster007, Nov 2, 2011 @ 3:32 PM.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

They (Len particularly) seem to have total disregard for the public personas/reputations of the celebrity contestants since they insult them with increasingly callous degrees of coarseness, belittlement, and other negativity. Of course they are "just people" but they are people with reputations and images to maintain. I don't think that putting them through a physical and emotional hazing is exactly what they -- or the public, now -- expect, much less appreciate. (Hell, I know I wouldn't appreciate a public humiliation, and I'm as anonymous as it gets.)

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

IMO, the real issue with Len is the fact that he has been pigeonholed into the "bad" judge role. Let's face it, CAI doesn't know enough about dancing to give anything other than vague commentary peppered with performance value accolades. Bruno does know enough to give real critiques and insightful commentary, but he chooses not to in order to play the clown.

DWTS is scripted and the judges each have their own characters to play. Len just happens to be the bad guy and it really is an old schtick that does no one involved any favors. I think that he should stop playing the "bad" judge role and just start delivering honest critiques and real praise where it is deserved and leave the performances and entertainment to the other two.

I miss the older seasons (pre-Golden boy) where Len was there, doing his effing job as a judge, sometimes harsh, sometimes soft, but always real and no gimmicks involved....*sigh*...

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

I think you explained it. Len doesn't have any choice about what he says and how he judges. He says what the producers tell him to say. Why? Money. They didn't hire him to be a real judge - they hired him to act the role of a judge on a reality show and say stuff that the writers and producers decide will work to keep their ratings. Why? Money.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

Yeah, these judges are not organically evolving this way on their own. They're getting more OTT because the show is. This is a producer creature, not a judging creature. There as much "cast" as everyone else.

If we replaced Len and the rest, we'd end up with the same crew. The colorful, OTT one, the strict one, and the emo one. AI has it. DWTs has it and would have it with a new set of judges . If the producers didn't want Len to critique in this style, he wouldn't.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

I blame the producers too. Len knows where his bread is buttered and so he plays it. I'm sure Len is much more knowledgeable and would be much less critical under other circumstances. I was once in a job where I had to "play a role", and I didn't like it, but because it put food on the table, I lived with it. I gather Len is doing the same thing.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

And Maks knows this. Which is why I will always defend Len (and the others) against a petulant pro who decides he'll intentionally and self-servedly "forget" that Len isn't judging as a real judge in a real Dancesport competition - and he conveniently forgets that he's ALWAYS known that some will be dinged for heel leads while others will be rewarded for simply improving (sometimes, even when they're not improving!)

Edited by Elsa, Nov 5, 2011 @ 8:07 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

This confirms what I've thought on dwts. Len enjoys being the curmudgeon and doesn't mind getting the audience worked up. The boos just encourage him to play it even nastier. I think its all a character that he's playing.

If he really was using ballroom criteria then everyone would be getting 1's and 2's. Real amateur ballroom dancers spend months getting ready for competitions. Dwts celebrities spend 4 or 5 days preparing for the show and that includes the tv rehearsals they do for camera placement. Len is obviously not using his professional ballroom judging credentials for this show. He can be as easy or tough in his dwts judging as his reality show character needs to be. There's always some dance technique he can criticize if he wants to judge more harshly. Or he can praise something the celebrity did well.

The article is very short and it's the second article after the one about the UK version of The Voice.

Cha-Cha-Charming!

Strictly Come Dancing’s head judge Len Goodman (right) is preparing to toughen up for the next series.

He has tested out a new Mr Nasty image on Dancing With The Stars, the U.S. version of the show, where he sits on the panel with his Strictly pal Bruno Tonioli.

Producers have loved his tougher approach to judging, but it has caused a storm with viewers.

A show source tells me: ‘Len is getting more like Simon Cowell every day. He has started to be loudly booed by the studio audience which has caused a lot of embarrassment.

‘He was heckled during a recent show by fans, who called for him to be sacked after he criticised one of the couples. ‘But Len is enjoying the new approach — it’s spicing things up.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2128940/INSIDE-THE-BOX-Could-The-Voices-hit-25million.html

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:38 AM.

dwtswatcher

dwtswatcher

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic, and PBS is airing a 1-hour special on the event hosted by Len, who used to work for the company that built Titanic. You can watch it here.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Thank you so much for the head's up! DVR is set.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Interesting! I caught a bit of that on TV a few days ago and was wondering what the connection to Len would be.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Just watched this on my local PBS station. Really interesting. Focused mostly on the crew and 3rd class passengers most affected by the tragedy.

Len's connection is that he used to work for the same shipbuilders that built Titanic, at their London shipyard. He was a welder by day, and danced all night :P. Jennifer Beals, eat your heart out!

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Len did a lovely job with the Titanic documentary. I was in tears by the end.

I had no idea that he had shipbuilding experience (love the Flashdance reference, Twickenham!). I would have thought him to be more British upper class but his accent was very working class during this show.

For some reason, learning about his welding background has increased my respect for him. There's more to Len than just being a curmudgeonly ballroom instructor. The Titanic program showed he has a heart, too.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Happy Birthday to the Simon Cowell of ballroom (and I say that in a loving way!)

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Hold up you guys...Len is having a moment!

*Len goes back to 1978 in his mind after watching Sabrina Disco*

That cracked me up.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

The thing is, Len and Bruno are the only ones on the panel who are actually old enough to remember when Disco was king (although Paula would, too -- she's just a year younger than I am, so she's a child of the 70s, like me.). Therefore, Len would be more familiar with the look and feel of old-school Disco (and, incidentally, my mind wandered back to 1978, too!). :)

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

Len was fantastic last night in regards to his comments to Carrie Anne. And the way he critiqued Shawn, Derek, and Mark's non Samba. Some might say a little too little too late but it still amused me when he said what he did.

Kerri Johnson

Kerri Johnson

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Len got married!
http://www.dailymail...art-attack.html