The Real Housewives of Orange County

• Please log in to reply

48475 replies to this topic

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Well maybe it is the women, not the places...they kind of ruin anyplace they go for meI guess.

LovaLova310

LovaLova310

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

These housewives take some tacky trips; at least NYC went to London and Morocco. Nothing against Canada and Mexico, or even Costa Rica, (Mexico, lol) but still...

Maybe "tacky" places but they sure stay in beautiful resorts.

I thought Whistler looked pretty and I'd like to go there now. I've been to Costa Rica and the place is amazingly beautiful, ripe for adventure, the people kind and has an emerging economy. I don't see anything tacky about it.

Exactly, some of the wealthiest people I know own houses in Costa Rica. Beautiful locale, great surf, and close to the States. 

Edited by LovaLova310, Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:03 PM.

LabLover27

LabLover27

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

Is there no surprise Lynn didn't know about the tax lien?

"A rep for Lynne tells TMZ, she was unaware of the lien and her attorneys are looking into it."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2.../#ixzz2Z5JVaakc

Add that to other monthly payments made to the IRS.  But she has to go through a lot to get it to payments.  I can hear her now "I don't know where my bank statements are?"  Oh vey.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

These housewives take some tacky trips; at least NYC went to London and Morocco. Nothing against Canada and Mexico, or even Costa Rica, (Mexico, lol) but still...

I agree on the surface these places seem more....relaxed (CR), overplayed? (Mexico) mundane? (Canada)....but more I think it's the women who make the vacations tacky. lol. 

Imagine this motley crew in Paris, or sunthin? lol. In Morocco? bwahahaha. They couldn't even behave properly in nice restaurants in the States (or Mexico!), with all that high falootin' coo-sine. I can only imagine (cringe) these 'ladies' in Milan or the like. bwahahahhaahahaha. 

Edited by diorella78, Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:39 AM.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 5:49 AM

I'm glad the OC housewives don't go too many places abroad.  I just cringe with embarrassment the entire time they're outside of America as it is.  I'm still cringing remembering Vicki in Rome telling the waiter she just wanted a cab, a cab, I just want a cab, a cab while the waiter stood there confused about why she wanted a taxi when he was asking her about wine.  And then she turned up her nose at the food.  Ugh, so klassy. 

simbared

simbared

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:07 AM

"A rep for Lynne tells TMZ, she was unaware of the lien and her attorneys are looking into it."

The IRS may be a lot of things, but they are not bashful when it comes to notifying people that money is owed.  Amazing how so many famous and semi-famous people have absolutely no clue that they've owed tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes for several years.  It's more likely they simply ignored the letters, thinking the tax man will eventually give up and go away.  When a lien is filed, they pretend it is their accountant's fault or some such nonsense.

“It’s not about how much money you have, its about how good you look spending it.”  ~Lynne Curtin

Edited by simbared, Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:11 AM.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

In Lynne's defense - they did seem to move every two weeks.  Perhaps the IRS just could never catch up with the correct forwarding address :-)

RedHawk

RedHawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

I've liked Alexis more she does seem to have grown or at least become more comfortable with herself on camera and perhaps in her actual life. Jim appears to be less Taliban-ish toward her, so maybe they have both actually worked on their marriage and their roles within it.

I'll also go so far as to say that, given proper training, Alexis could be a capable TV presenter for the sort of brief "fun" segments she attempted to do. She'd do ok if she had good coaching and plenty of practice, because she seems to have the dedication and willingness to learn. She really should try to parlay her role on this show into something along those lines. 

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

I agree Alexis could probably learn to do short lifestyle-type segments if she could remember her lines. But she was pretty painful to watch last year doing those fox five segments.

Yeah, I guess housewives in any foreign city is never a good idea. At least on camera, they do not seem to appreciate different cultures, foods, etc. and it is hard to watch. I wonder where Heather would take them all, if she gets a turn to play "host" for a trip?

I also would like too see Vicki and Ramona go at it one day, just for fun...

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

I'm glad the OC housewives don't go too many places abroad.  I just cringe with embarrassment the entire time they're outside of America as it is.  I'm still cringing remembering Vicki in Rome telling the waiter she just wanted a cab, a cab, I just want a cab, a cab while the waiter stood there confused about why she wanted a taxi when he was asking her about wine.  And then she turned up her nose at the food.  Ugh, so klassy.

Or Tamra's delightful behavior with the shopkeeper in Spain.

I also would like too see Vicki and Ramona go at it one day, just for fun..

That would be a perfect storm of crazy eyes and screechy voices. Can they go to Andales afterward for some turtle time?

Bossa Nova

Bossa Nova

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

That's what is such a joke about these Housewives, particularly this OC crowd. All of 'em , except Heather: they think they are worldly and sophisticated. They think they are classy by showing what material things they have.  But the joke is on them. 

Remember when they all went to San Francisco several seasons ago, and Alexis practically puked up the pate' at the restaurant of a reknowned chef? At the table mind you. She couldn't even hide her disgust.  Also when Alexis was planning her couture line luncheon with another chef and wanted a fancy French menu. She couldn't even pronounce the most common of French names and wanted such pedestrian food. I swear she was one step away from requesting French fries and French toast.

This mindset that they all think they are sophisticated has been the biggest joke on all the Housewives' franchises, with a rare exception (whether you like them or not, Bethenney, LuAnn, Cynthia, a few of the Miami and DC wives).

And this OC cast? Hicks from the sticks.

Edited by Bossa Nova, Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:24 PM.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

I have to chime in and say that when compared to all the other HW shows, I think the OC wives do seem if not the least sophisticated (which I don't think is a crime in and of itself) than they are to me the most closed off to new experiences and ideas, which is what fucking kills me the most. The willful, down right gleeful ignorance is what grinds my gears. I won't fault someone for not knowing which fork is for salad and which spoon is for coffee, but turning up your nose or being unwilling to at least try something outside your comfort zone is downright sinful IMHO. I think I am past (and it seems the show for the most part) the illusion that the OC wives are rich bitches, however, they still have open to them more opportunities to travel and experience things that a great deal of watchers likely cannot. Do they embrace this as a chance to try new things. Of course not. They turn up their nose at everything unfamiliar. Closed minds and continually gaping mouths is my issue with these ladies.

Ugly American personified. 

simbared

simbared

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

This mindset that they all think they are sophisticated has been the biggest joke on all the Housewives' franchises.

We were watching the episode where they went to Del Mar Racetrack, and Gretchen decided to hang out with the people in the suite next to theirs, who were younger and having way more fun.  Vicki and Tamra were commenting about it, and Tamra said "They're so low class."  I was lauging so hard I had to hit the Pause button.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

I won't fault someone for not knowing which fork is for salad and which spoon is for coffee, but turning up your nose or being unwilling to at least try something outside your comfort zone is downright sinful IMHO. I think I am past (and it seems the show for the most part) the illusion that the OC wives are rich bitches, however, they still have open to them more opportunities to travel and experience things that a great deal of watchers likely cannot. Do they embrace this as a chance to try new things. Of course not. They turn up their nose at everything unfamiliar. Closed minds and continually gaping mouths is my issue with these ladies.

Yes, yes and yes! I , too, cringed when Alexis (as mentioned upthread) spit into her napkin, and IIRC it was Vicky who gagged. oye! Then, of course, there was Mexico and the menu that nobody could read (ok) or care to understand. sighhhhhhh

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Ah yes, great memories of the sophisticated HW of OC. I have a couple more:

Vicki, Donn, Tamra and Simon complaining that the food was too fancy and "icky" at The French Laundry in Napa. Ungrateful rubes.

When the women were guest on Top Chef Masters. They made faces after tasting the dishes and I believe Tamra complained about too many carbs. The good thing though about that scene....the chefs were watching on camera and one French chef (can't remember his name) said (in my best French accent).....Who are these stoo-peed women?

But my all time fave was mentioned upthread.....Vicki trying to order California wine in Rome.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

I've been to Costa Rica and the place is amazingly beautiful, ripe for adventure, the people kind and has an emerging economy. I don't see anything tacky about it.

Agreed, Costa Rica is one of my dream destinations and I hope I'm able to visit one of these days.  Costa Rica disbanded its military many years ago so it's a very peaceful nation, which is more than I can say for the women on this show.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

When the women were guest on Top Chef Masters. They made faces after tasting the dishes and I believe Tamra complained about too many carbs. The good thing though about that scene....the chefs were watching on camera and one French chef (can't remember his name) said (in my best French accent).....Who are these stoo-peed women?

LOL! I remember that. Wasn't their turn judging food with cocktails, naturally? I think the chef was Ludo. I was so ashamed....and dumbfounded they would get to judge real food. Wasn't it Tamra (!!), Lynn(!!!!) and Alexis(!!!!!!), I think? lol

But my all time fave was mentioned upthread.....Vicki trying to order California wine in Rome.

Yes. She wanted a "cab"...a California "cab", okayyyyyy? lol. I always hate when people screech in English, as if it makes people understand. Cabernet exists in Italy. Had she not been so rigid and ignorant she could have asked in a better way. 

Edited by diorella78, Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:52 PM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

LOL! I remember that. Wasn't their turn judging food with cocktails, naturally? I think the chef was Ludo. I was so ashamed....and dumbfounded they would get to judge real food. Wasn't it Tamra (!!), Lynn(!!!!) and Alexis(!!!!!!), I think? lol

So any day now we should expect the lawsuit the alleges that it was this cocktail in particular that caused Lynne to forget about her IRS tax lien.......

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Yes. She wanted a "cab"...a California "cab", okayyyyyy? lol. I always hate when people screech in English, as if it makes people understand. Cabernet exists in Italy. Had she not been so rigid and ignorant she could have asked in a better way. 

Can you imagine if it had been Heather asking for "champs"?

Persnickety13

Persnickety13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

Damn, I haven't seen that one.

One of my faves was Vicki aghast at finding an anchovy in her Cesar salad in Cabo on her trip with Tamra.  "I see eyes and heads!" or something like that and then couldn't eat the salad.  

One thing these heifers always do...they keep it klassy!

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

YES, that's right, they had no problems with the caloric cocktails. LOL And it was at Hubert Keller's restaurant where Alexis spit her foie gras into her napkin and Vicki gagged. What wasted experiences for this crowd. 

She probably couldn't think straight after answering all the questions about Slade in the Vatican. :-P

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

Can you imagine if it had been Heather asking for "champs"?

I have to admit that I have heard "champs" used by a few people, all of whom have been Brits and mostly on the posh side. I even recall Patsy and Edina using "champs" on the cult classic comedy fave AbFab. Not to say that an Italian waiter would have understood but I have never associated "champs" with Americans. I think that is just Heather's attempt to be seen as posh, chic and more elite than her co-stars - as per her usual.  It's kinda annoying when she says it. The thirst just wafts off her in huge tsunami types waves every time she utters the word. 

Edited by islandgal, Jul 15, 2013 @ 4:15 PM.

BigTimeBetty

BigTimeBetty

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

I had a friend back in the 90's who had a chin implant. Anytime we went out in temps below freezing, she would comment that her "chinplant" would freeze up. This could explain the freakish spectacle of the frozen faced screeching ski bunnies.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Maybe Lydia knew their faces would freeze out there, lol...

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

Maybe Lydia knew their faces would freeze out there, lol...

Or she knew how much they'd hate wearing puffy ski wear that made them look fat AND covered their foobage.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

Vicki, Donn, Tamra and Simon complaining that the food was too fancy and "icky" at The French Laundry in Napa. Ungrateful rubes.

I forgot about that one; guess I blocked it out of my mind.  I remember Vickie perusing the menu  and then throwing up her hands and telling the waiter "I just want meat and potatoes.  Don't you have meat and potatoes?"  Like it would kill her to enjoy something different. 

Me too, that drives me nuts.  When dealing with someone whose first language is not English, just speak slowly and clearly and don't use slang like calling Cabernet "cab".  Such an ignoramus. 

I don't think Heather would have a problem in another country calling champagne "Champs".  I think she would know she needs to order it properly and then she would lecture everybody around her how best to speak to foreigners. 

I missed the Top Chef Masters.  Maybe I should be glad.  Love Ludo.

And I agree with others that part of the fun of this show is watching these women acting like we should all envy them when they are so unsophisticated. 

I had a friend back in the 90's who had a chin implant. Anytime we went out in temps below freezing, she would comment that her "chinplant" would freeze up. This could explain the freakish spectacle of the frozen faced screeching ski bunnies.

My face freezes when it's really cold to the point that I can barely talk.  I can't imagine what it would be like if it were full of all kinds of foreign objects and substances.  Entertaining for the viewers though. 

mrsolive

mrsolive

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

And I agree with others that part of the fun of this show is watching these women acting like we should all envy them when they are so unsophisticated.

I agree, they are for the most part what I call "jet ski aspirational."  They are label conscious and they love their chain restaurants.  Heather is more polished than the rest, but she knows it and sometimes appears as if she is slumming when she tolerates the others.  Her smugness can be quite grating.

I am hard pressed, however, to find the Atlanta housewives more sophisticated, and the New Jersey bunch --- my dogs are more civilized.  I think that some of the women on New York are more cosmopolitan than the women on the other franchises (Ramona notwithstanding).  Just my two cents. 

I love Whistler and I like that they are engaging in what seems like a fun activity that they can do for the day which doesn't involve obstacles or binge drinking or plain ol' stupid boorish behavior --- except when they are talking about Vicki's threesome and all  (and even if they chose skiing over snowboarding). 

Edited by mrsolive, Jul 15, 2013 @ 6:31 PM.

LauraHolt

LauraHolt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:24 PM

Watching last week's episode again...Heather looks ALL kinds of desperate in the bus on the way to the hotel assuring Gretchen and Alexis (maybe herself?) that whatever role they were offered was different than the role grand diva actress Heather was offered.  She is the epitome of an actress who had big dreams that never came to fruition.  She needs to STFU and appreciate the life she settled for.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

I think Lydia's uncle Greg is hot as hell. Hot.

Lol at him being terrified of Vicki and then ring like "I don't have a gf oh wait I do!" When the hags perked up. And Lydia saying she didn't need more crazy in her family.

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

Only a quarter way through the 100th episode and am struck by two things. One,  I had no idea (I guess I should have though) that the housewives think the viewers envy them. Yikes! The OC housewives have all either ended up divorced, broke, or both. (Lydia is the only exception that I can think of). What's to envy? I can't think of one housewife on any of the three HW series I watch (OC, Vancouver and NY) that I would want to change places with. I watch because it makes me love my life even more - lol.

Two, I can't stop staring at Vicki's apparently new dimples. Whereas she used to have dimples when she smiled, she now has them all the time - smiling or not. I guess that was part of her plastic surgery package - perma dimples carved into her cheeks.